I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving Day (or Black Friday)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3116 Posts

Stores being opened on Thanksgiving Day is borderline inhumane and I refuse to be a party to it. But retail wouldn’t do it if the demand wasn’t there from spendthrift easily fooled people.

Furthermore, I hate Black Friday and I don’t like large crowds or humanity in general. I’m fortunate enough in my career where money is generally not an issue so I’m willing to pay more for convenience to avoid crowds and hassle.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I don't mind black Friday as much anymore as all the crazy a-holes go out Thursday night. I go Friday for the cheap Blu-rays and games.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

living near a target and gamestop, I could just walk to them. Haven't done it yet so far, but I might do it this year. Only thing I hate is the way people act during black friday when going into a store.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

It's all about Cyber Monday

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Why wouldn't stores be open on your weird little thanksgiving holiday? It's not like Christmas is it? They can eat turkey after work.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

Required items to take with you when you go shopping on Black Friday:

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The only time I might try is newegg.com. They have (one or two-day sales) on certain items often enough that I have to check everyday.

There's nothing I want that warrants going out in the middle of the night.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

What I find particularly hilarious as someone who works in retail. Is that the merchandise for our 2017 Black Friday sale is literally the same merchandise that was on sale last year.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: Do what a normal person would do, order it to your house and still enjoy a discount - you're having fun while saving money at the same time.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Yes I absolutely hate the idea that occasionally throughout the year, some items are at a reduced cost. Very annoying. If only there was a web of sorts, whereby you could go to a company's 'page' and order their products from the comfort of your own home.

P.s. this is sarcasm. I actually like the idea of Black Friday and how it's taken over here in the UK so I can hopefully get some cheap deals.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

I poke around for deals on games that Iknow are just too good to pass up.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

@stormcast said:

What I find particularly hilarious as someone who works in retail. Is that the merchandise for our 2017 Black Friday sale is literally the same merchandise that was on sale last year.

Where do you work storm? I did retail at the mall for three years, black friday was a weird animal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@Mercenary848 said:
@stormcast said:

Where do you work storm? I did retail at the mall for three years, black friday was a weird animal

A medium sized box store part of a major national chain. The initial rush usually isn't that bad. No fights or property damage at least. Prepping the store is a huge pain though.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

Stores being opened on Thanksgiving Day is borderline inhumane and I refuse to be a party to it. But retail wouldn’t do it if the demand wasn’t there from spendthrift easily fooled people.

Furthermore, I hate Black Friday and I don’t like large crowds or humanity in general. I’m fortunate enough in my career where money is generally not an issue so I’m willing to pay more for convenience to avoid crowds and hassle.

Yep, people get so crazy like its gold they are selling for a dollar. Its just a discount, but they don't get it. Too much craziness to push and shove for a savings a few $$

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@stormcast said:

Do you guys get to take advantage of Black Friday while working at retail? You know like holding items for yourselves or others.

@LexLas said:
@GalvatronType_R said:

Yep, people get so crazy like its gold they are selling for a dollar. Its just a discount, but they don't get it. Too much craziness to push and shove for a savings a few $$

I wouldn't say a few $$. Black Friday deals can range from 50-90% off the original price.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56

@PSP107 said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@stormcast said:

Do you guys get to take advantage of Black Friday while working at retail? You know like holding items for yourselves or others.

We're not supposed to but it happens.

But we usually order enough of everything to meet the initial demand for all the customers. Nothing runs out in the first few hours or anything.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Just another day on the calendar. One most people have off from work and school, so that's good.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@kod said:

Required items to take with you when you go shopping on Black Friday:

Maybe if the employees start arming themselves with guns, black friday could be safe for everyone.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

Your loss :)

Last year i got two 35inch curved Benq monitors for less than the price of one.

If there is a good deal i will jump on it again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I prefer the online deals. Less smelly people.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@GalvatronType_R said:

Your loss :)

Last year i got two 35inch curved Benq monitors for less than the price of one.

If there is a good deal i will jump on it again.

Even he/she couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Too bad more people don't think like him which means less crowds? =)

@sonicare said:

I prefer the online deals. Less smelly people.

People probably get up around 1am without washing up and wait in line for 10-12 hours.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3497 Posts

Just shop online. Simplez.

I was gutted when I bought a pair of trainers for £70. A few months down the line it was on sale for £50. Painful feeling I tell ya!

nuclearaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nuclearaddict
Member since 2002 • 25225 Posts

Seems way too dangerous to go out shopping anywhere on those days. Don't feel like being stampeded. Saving some cash ain't worth a broken leg.