I need help on what I should do...(work related)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jillian11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jillian11
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts
Okay well, I've had this job for almost 2 years. It's my neighbor's business and my family has known them for a long time. I started when I was 14 years old, my boss paid me minimum wage ($8.00/hr.). I was also getting paid under the table. I was to work only Saturdays because I was still very young but I was getting called in during the week and on Sundays. I was fine with that, it was more hours for me and I was happy. So the year of 2007 comes and minimum wage goes up to $8.50/hr. and I talked to my boss about it because he wasn't paying me that. I was still getting paid 8. I'm not a mean person and I thought what I did was pretty cruel because after all, I'm not getting any deductions and they're really nice to me. So I told him to keep on paying me at 8. I haven't had a problem with that until now. Minimum wage is going (or has gone) up to $9.00/hr. and I'm 16 now.

My boss told me a while ago that when I turned 16, he would start paying me a bit more money and over the table. So I was excited that I might've been getting a bit more money but he never did that. I have never taken any days off, even when I was sick. They have given me days off though because I was working too much (I was getting really, really tired) and they had other workers. I've always showed up whenever they needed help and I've never talked back or complained to them. Now my boss is going to give me a raise to $9.00/hr. (again, minimum wage) and over the table. So I'll be getting deductions which means I won't really be making much more than I am right now.

So I was at work today and I asked my coworker how much he made and he said he makes $10.00/hr. I was seriously bugged by this because he's been told many times that he doesn't do a good job and he misses work so often. He hasn't even been there for half a year yet and here I am, trying to be loyal to them and giving them help with whatever they ask. I'm really disturbed about this because I don't think this is any fair. I mean like, I've done so much for them and I've never said 'no' to whatever they ask me. What should I do about this? I don't want to go complaining to them because they're really nice to me and I don't want to do anything mean. Even saying this would make me feel really bad: "How come I don't get paid as much as the other workers?" I really don't know what I'm going to do. If anyone has any suggestions, can you please tell me them? Thank you very much. :)
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#2 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts
What state do you live in? Minimum wage in Missouri is seven dollars and 5 cents.
Jillian11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jillian11
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts
I don't live in the states, I live in MB, Canada.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
just ask them for a raise. they really can't say no to that. i know how u feel i got paid less then the people who have only been working there and they got paid more so i asked my boss for rais i got the same amount as the people. we were about the same age also. don't tell them that bob what ever hsi name is, is getting paid.
nesfreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nesfreek
Member since 2008 • 7202 Posts
just ask them for a raise. they really can't say no to that. i know how u feel i got paid less then the people who have only been working there and they got paid more so i asked my boss for rais i got the same amount as the people. we were about the same age also. don't tell them that bob what ever hsi name is, is getting paid. iam2green
What he said is good advise.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Well it depends on how much "under the table" means where you live. If he was paying taxes and all on $10.00/hr, he could have been taking home far less than you at $8.00/hr.
-Panjera-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Panjera-
Member since 2008 • 436 Posts

That sounds just like my old job... Horrible situation.

I think you should just be honest with them and tell them how you feel, and if they have a problem with that then there is something wrong!! If they make a fuss about it, who knows what other sh*t they will do in the future. I know there are people you can call and they will tell you your rights etc, or you can just check out which award you are on on the net. Plus you will feel better for sticking up for yourself :)

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
That guy was probably lying, I've know people who lie about how much they make, he was probably trying to tick you off, which he succeded.
Felix-Legions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Felix-Legions
Member since 2003 • 1194 Posts
Complain to them until you get what you want :D