i just had a philosophical epiphany!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fdsfgs
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

you should never be unhappy about anything in your life because someone always has it worse and would gladly take your life over theirs. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
What if you are that person that has it the worst? He's a person after all.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Therefore, if you lose everything you own and your family dies in a fire, you really shouldn't complain because there's someone who'd trade places with you.
Avatar image for Atheos-Arkhaios
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Atheos-Arkhaios
Member since 2008 • 880 Posts

Sorry OP...time to head back to the drawing board haha.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Therefore, if you lose everything you own and your family dies in a fire, you really shouldn't complain because there's someone who'd trade places with you.Theokhoth

That's fun..:o

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
Therefore, if you lose everything you own and your family dies in a fire, you really shouldn't complain because there's someone who'd trade places with you.Theokhoth
We just won't tell them about the fire ;)
ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Hey! At least he's still alive!
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

counter: sucks for them. what if they are some poor haitian living off grain and mud? its not too comforting thinking "atleast im not that guy."

counter #2: using that same rationalization, you could say that no matter how good you do there will always be somebody better than you and therefore you should never feel good about yourself.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
If you're tortured with the Ludovico Technique, someone had it worse, somehow.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
What about the person who has it worst? Secondly comparing yourself with someone else only makes you comparatively happy not objectively happy. You can apply this to other things such as injuries: if one man has a broken finger and another has a broken leg the man with the broken finger is less injured than the one with the broken leg though in no way could you say that he has no injury. You may also want to note that quality of life is not an objective hierarchal scale. What you consider good another may consider hell, ie a lot of people say they want to be a rock star but i'ld hate that.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Zero sum happiness? the underlying concept seems to be that there is only a finite amount of joy to be spread among the people of the world, and if you aren't the one individual who has the absolute minimum, you are "winning". Hrm, no thanks.
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fdsfgs
What if you are that person that has it the worst? He's a person after all.Genetic_Code
they he may truly be unhappy ;]
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fdsfgs
yup, someone who never knew their family would gladly trade places with you
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fdsfgs

counter: sucks for them. what if they are some poor haitian living off grain and mud? its not too comforting thinking "atleast im not that guy."

counter #2: using that same rationalization, you could say that no matter how good you do there will always be somebody better than you and therefore you should never feel good about yourself.

LoG-Sacrament
1: thats not how i think about it though. i dont say "at least im not that guy". im thinking the exact opposite, im thinking they would wish they were us. like we think we have it bad when there are people that would gladly take our position 2. if you look at it that way. i dont really see it like that. thats true and all, but it doesnt matter because someone is (i dont know how to make italics)worse(lol) than you.
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fdsfgs

What about the person who has it worst? Secondly comparing yourself with someone else only makes you comparatively happy not objectively happy. You can apply this to other things such as injuries: if one man has a broken finger and another has a broken leg the man with the broken finger is less injured than the one with the broken leg though in no way could you say that he has no injury. You may also want to note that quality of life is not an objective hierarchal scale. What you consider good another may consider hell, ie a lot of people say they want to be a rock star but i'ld hate that.markop2003
then they need a knew motivationalphrase to listen to haha thats true but im just saying. we dwell over the little things in life when they could be much MUCH worse. i know im not saying this will improve your quality of life, im saying it will just help you out. motivate you to improve the quality if you will

EDIT: bad spelling while "not here" ;]

fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fdsfgs
Zero sum happiness? the underlying concept seems to be that there is only a finite amount of joy to be spread among the people of the world, and if you aren't the one individual who has the absolute minimum, you are "winning". Hrm, no thanks.xaos
i never said there was an absolute minimum. thats a completely different aspect apart from what i said lol
zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

your epiphany has opened my eyes. thanks tc

fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fdsfgs

zmbi_gmr
sarcasm? :D
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="fdsfgs"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

1: thats not how i think about it though. i dont say "at least im not that guy". im thinking the exact opposite, im thinking they would wish they were us. like we think we have it bad when there are people that would gladly take our position 2. if you look at it that way. i dont really see it like that. thats true and all, but it doesnt matter because someone is (i dont know how to make italics)worse(lol) than you.

1)if you arent thinking about yourself in relation to the other guy, then he has no effect on you and your hypothesis doesnt work. 2)so youre only part of your own logic? seems inconsistent to me.
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fdsfgs

[QUOTE="fdsfgs"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

LoG-Sacrament

1)if you arent thinking about yourself in relation to the other guy, then he has no effect on you and your hypothesis doesnt work. 2)so youre only part of your own logic? seems inconsistent to me.

sure it does because i know the guy has a relation to me or someone like me and thats enough for me to care. i didnt even think about his viewpoint till he mentioned it, i guess i am the only one who sees it as an epiphany haha

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
If I'm upset and someone told me that I'd be even more upset that it essentially is telling me that this feeling I have is not one I am allowed to feel and express.
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fdsfgs

[QUOTE="fdsfgs"][QUOTE="xaos"]Zero sum happiness? the underlying concept seems to be that there is only a finite amount of joy to be spread among the people of the world, and if you aren't the one individual who has the absolute minimum, you are "winning". Hrm, no thanks.SEANMCAD

i never said there was an absolute minimum. thats a completely different aspect apart from what i said lol

its been said that in life you are either moving forward or moving backward.

The 'life is worse for some others' is almost aways used to convince someone its ok to move them backward. Think about who told you this 'others have it worse' and why they maybe trying to shift your view point. It can be used as a tactic

thats true, but thinking about the thing i said will make it easier to move forward :D and thats why i like it sometimes it is okay to move backward its how we learn. no one lives their whole life moving forward all the time ;]
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fdsfgs

If I'm upset and someone told me that I'd be even more upset that it essentially is telling me that this feeling I have is not one I am allowed to feel and express.Nifty_Shark
im not saying its bad or that you're a bad person for feeling that way. its natural for any creature to get sad over things but thinking about what i said will help you stop being sad and will ultimately help you overcome whatever is causing you to be unhappy

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]If I'm upset and someone told me that I'd be even more upset that it essentially is telling me that this feeling I have is not one I am allowed to feel and express.fdsfgs
im not saying its bad that you're feeling that way. its natural for any creature to get sad over things but thinking this way can help you get better

Oh I don't blame you. Just that simple phrase. It can get under my skin.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Except that it's a pretty silly philosophy because even though yes, there is probably a child in Africa who's starving to death, if you break your back that's not going to comfort you that much...
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#29 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Here's one, there's a reason for everything, whether good or bad, it is ultimately for the greater good. Trials and afflictions happen for a reason, and to be bitter about it is what losers do.
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fdsfgs

Except that it's a pretty silly philosophy because even though yes, there is probably a child in Africa who's starving to death, if you break your back that's not going to comfort you that much...bobbetybob
yeah you're right. it wouldnt really comfort me if i had broken my back. i guess this is just more for little things like. if you get a bad grade on a test or your gf breaks up with you, its okay because someone just broke their back or is starving. most of the stuff we get worked up about is superficial compared to a lot of other people

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

If I lose a leg i should be happy because somewhere some guy just lost two legs? oh lawdy

fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fdsfgs
[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]If I lose a leg i should be happy because somewhere some guy just lost two legs? oh lawdu

i guess it wouldnt make me feel happy but once i accepted it it would comfort me a great deal knowing that at least i can still walk and stand uppright with an artifical leg and he will never be able to know what it feels like to walk ever again.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Except that it's a pretty silly philosophy because even though yes, there is probably a child in Africa who's starving to death, if you break your back that's not going to comfort you that much...fdsfgs

yeah you're right. it wouldnt really comfort me if i had broken my back. i guess this is just more for little things like. if you get a bad grade on a test or your gf breaks up with you, its okay because someone just broke their back or is starving. most of the stuff we get worked up about is superficial compared to a lot of other people

Yeah I was actual going to put that after what I wrote, that this is definitely true for trivial things, people definitely not to think before they moan about little things that are really quite insignificant and they probably won't even remember in a few years.
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fdsfgs
[QUOTE="fdsfgs"]

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Except that it's a pretty silly philosophy because even though yes, there is probably a child in Africa who's starving to death, if you break your back that's not going to comfort you that much...bobbetybob

Yeah I was actual going to put that after what I wrote, that this is definitely true for trivial things, people definitely not to think before they moan about little things that are really quite insignificant and they probably won't even remember in a few years.

yeah i guess thats more of what i was thinking about when i first thought it. i never really thought about what you said. i still say thinking this way can work wonders though ;]
fdsfgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fdsfgs
man this is the best discussion ive had on gamespot lol
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

I always really disagree when people say that. I don't see how anyone else's life should affect your own. Certainly there will always be someone who has it 'worse' if you want to put it that way, but that doesn't and shouldn't invalidate your own feelings. A starving child in a third-world country might be unfortunate, but just because these people exist doesn't mean that you can't feel unhappy.

We all have different goals, expectations, hopes, desires, needs, etc., and if they're not being met, then we're going to be unhappy.

I really disagree when people tell other people that they 'shouldn't' be happy because it could always be a lot worse. Of course it could, but feelings are feelings.

Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]If I lose a leg i should be happy because somewhere some guy just lost two legs? oh lawdufdsfgs
i guess it wouldnt make me feel happy but once i accepted it it would comfort me a great deal knowing that at least i can still walk and stand uppright with an artifical leg and he will never be able to know what it feels like to walk ever again.

It's easy to talk but you guys need a practical experience to see how it actually feels like, you cannot talk about philosophy unless you feel it - such people are rare in history.

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

[QUOTE="zmbi_gmr"]

fdsfgs

sarcasm? :D

of course 8)

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

Isn't this something every parent says to there youg children?

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

That's not the way to think..

The way to think is that you should always be happy because YOU could end up in such a position yourself. I'm being serious, it can happen, and it can be out of your control.

The only way to break through to people today is to make them realize that these tragedies are real and can happen to them, not just "the people below". Because lets be honest, nobody thinks about the people below. I mean not in that way. So they aren't going to consider that a reason to appreciate what they have.

Vartei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vartei
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
So your saying lets enjoy that we arent having as sucky a life as they are and be essentialy mocking it?
Emobirdies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Emobirdies
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Pain is universal, just because someone else may feel worse than you doesn't mean you can't feel bad about your pain... Common sense, broski.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
Thats my personal philosophy
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="fdsfgs"] 1: thats not how i think about it though. i dont say "at least im not that guy". im thinking the exact opposite, im thinking they would wish they were us. like we think we have it bad when there are people that would gladly take our position 2. if you look at it that way. i dont really see it like that. thats true and all, but it doesnt matter because someone is (i dont know how to make italics)worse(lol) than you.fdsfgs

sure it does because i know the guy has a relation to me or someone like me and thats enough for me to care. i didnt even think about his viewpoint till he mentioned it, i guess i am the only one who sees it as an epiphany haha

"he has it worse so i should be happy" is the same thing as "atleast im not that guy" and you still havent addressed the inconsistency of your logic.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
:lol: