I have a Question!(Boondock Saints/Religion related)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

For those who have no idea of what I'm talking about...here.For those who do know what I'm talking about
Here...
Do you think that God can actually sent you a message like this?The prison scene,where they both get this 'feeling' like God is giving them a message and then both brothers say: 'Destroy all that which is evil.So that which is good may flourish.'

The things these 'saints' do,are they justified?
Would you do the same if you could?

Let's go!
Quote for awesomness
'Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God. '

*edit*Hope this will get some attention :x

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

First of all, would God send people such message? Depends, Old Testament God is very capable, New Testament God would never do such a thing. The "Saints" are like "The Punisher", they arent justified, but we empathize with them. We understand what they are doing, but they have no right to do so. That's what makes vigilantes, vigilantes, they sin for the greater good.

Would I do the same? probably not.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lto_thaG

First of all, would God send people such message? Depends, Old Testament God is very capable, New Testament God would never do such a thing. The "Saints" are like "The Punisher", they arent justified, but we empathize with them. We understand what they are doing, but they have no right to do so. That's what makes vigilantes, vigilantes, they sin for the greater good.

II_Seraphim_II

Good post and thanks for answering.
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
What a coincidence I'm watching that scene right now.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lto_thaG
What a coincidence I'm watching that scene right now.Jazz_Fan

I love the movie,but the final scene in court is really breathtaking.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

II_Seraphim_II

I disagree that the New Testament and Old Testament God are different but the way Christians are to interact with the world is now different in some ways. Believe it or not, the Israelites in the Old Testament were told to befriend and witness to the outsider. There is just less killing of sinners now as well as less attention to some aspects of the law.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

mindstorm

I disagree that the New Testament and Old Testament God are different but the way Christians are to interact with the world is now different in some ways. Believe it or not, the Israelites in the Old Testament were told to befriend and witness to the outsider. There is just less killing of sinners now as well as less attention to some aspects of the law.

well, you are probably right :P Im not very knowledgable when it comes to the bible :oops:

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

mindstorm

Precisely right. I second this opinion.

justblaze7204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 justblaze7204
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

mindstorm

The Old Testament God and the New Testament God are the same what change from the Old to the New Testament is that in the New Testament Jesus came who does not want anybody killed. In the Old Testament did you know that Moses killed around 3000 hebrews there for worshipping another God at Mount Sinai. It is just that the Ten Commandments were the law and if you broke the law you were stoned or put to death. When Jesus came he took all of our sins away and died for us. And on topic no God would not send us messengers that kill people like The Saints. It was still an awesome movie.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

justblaze7204

The Old Testament God and the New Testament God are the same what change from the Old to the New Testament is that in the New Testament Jesus came who does not want anybody killed. In the Old Testament did you know that Moses killed around 3000 hebrews there for worshipping another God at Mount Sinai. It is just that the Ten Commandments were the law and if you broke the law you were stoned or put to death. When Jesus came he took all of our sins away and died for us. And on topic no God would not send us messengers that kill people like The Saints. It was still an awesome movie.

I've never heard that about Moses. He killed one man and repented for what he had done. I've never ever heard anything about him killing 3000 Hebrews, the Bible doesn't say it so what are you getting that from?

diz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 diz360
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
[QUOTE="justblaze7204"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

Lansdowne5

I've never heard that about Moses. He killed one man and repented for what he had done. I've never ever heard anything about him killing 3000 Hebrews, the Bible doesn't say it so what are you getting that from?

Exodus 32:26-28:

32:36 So Moses stood at the entrance of the camp and said, "Whoever is for the Lord, come to me." All the Levites gathered around him,

32:27 and he said to them, "Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, 'Each man fasten his sword on his side, and go back and forth 59 from entrance to entrance throughout the camp, and each one kill his brother, his friend, and his neighbor.'"

32:28 The Levites did what Moses ordered, and that day about three thousand men of the people died.

Nice huh?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
why does god need people to do his bidding sometimes but other times he's perfectly capable of destruction on his own?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

1 John 4:1.

If God told me to do such things, then I would, but I would need to be damn sure it was, in fact, God telling me to do those things.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I think what God tells people to do is awfully convenient for some of those people.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

I think what God tells people to do is awfully convenient for some of those people.duxup

:lol: ya think?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
Since I have no belief in the Christian God, no, I don't think that could happen. However, I can see the rationale for believing it, even if the actual acts they committed were wrong. (Awesome movie btw)
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

I think what God tells people to do is awfully convenient for some of those people.duxup

Ahahha... so true.

BTW: the sequel is in the works. Be excited :D

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts
i ruv dat movie
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts

Raptor Jesus would NEVER send such hurtful messages!

"we are one, under the holy raptor and saviour of all!"

-Velocirapture 5:13

x_Martyr_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 x_Martyr_x
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

[QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]What a coincidence I'm watching that scene right now.Lto_thaG

seriously dood? that scene was horrible

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]What a coincidence I'm watching that scene right now.x_Martyr_x

seriously dood? that scene was horrible

i ruv it

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="justblaze7204"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

diz360

32:36 So Moses stood at the entrance of the camp and said, "Whoever is for the Lord, come to me." All the Levites gathered around him,

32:27 and he said to them, "Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, 'Each man fasten his sword on his side, and go back and forth 59 from entrance to entrance throughout the camp, and each one kill his brother, his friend, and his neighbor.'"

32:28 The Levites did what Moses ordered, and that day about three thousand men of the people died.

Nice huh?

He said Moses killed 3000 men. Not that the Lord instructed Moses to tell the Levites to kill 3000 men.

diz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 diz360

[QUOTE="diz360"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

Nice huh?

He said Moses killed 3000 men. Not that the Lord instructed Moses to tell the Levites to kill 3000 men.

So, by the same token, Hitler was a nice bloke too?! Moses gave the order...

Way not to not take responsibility for your actions. Typical!

Do you think anyone could hear the Lord tell Moses to tell his men to kill each other? Would it just have seemed as if Moses alone told his men to kill each other?

You seem to know little about the book you covet so.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="duxup"]I think what God tells people to do is awfully convenient for some of those people.Sajedene

Ahahha... so true.

You're ******* with me Saje :|
That's freakin...!!! *faints*
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
[QUOTE="Sajedene"]

[QUOTE="duxup"]I think what God tells people to do is awfully convenient for some of those people.Lto_thaG

Ahahha... so true.

You're ******* with me Saje :|
That's freakin...!!! *faints*

No I'm not. We got the script a few weeks ago and most of the cast is returning.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="diz360"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

diz360

Nice huh?

Do you think anyone could hear the Lord tell Moses to tell his men to kill each other? Would it just have seemed as if Moses alone told his men to kill each other?

God has the power to bring a person to life and to send a person to their death. This is not murder because he is God. There is a difference between what Moses did and what Hitler did. The Israelites deserved their fate for turning from God (we all deserve that fate however, but God is merciful). What Hitler did had no biblical grounds and he only did what he did based upon his own beliefs, not what God had commanded of him

diz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 diz360
[QUOTE="diz360"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="diz360"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

mindstorm

Nice huh?

God has the power to bring a person to life and to send a person to their death. This is not murder because he is God. There is a difference between what Moses did and what Hitler did. The Israelites deserved their fate for turning from God (we all deserve that fate however, but God is merciful). What Hitler did had no biblical grounds and he only did what he did based upon his own beliefs, not what God had commanded of him

"Sending a person to their death" as you put it is murder. It seems you excuse God's vengeful and murderous ways. You then say that all people that turn away from God deserve this fate, but God is merciful.

If that is true, then how can you say non-believers deserve death when you say God does not think so any more. Why would this benevolent God allow the deaths of many millions of innocent children in the last 2 millenia?

As I said before, How did anyone else know that Moses was following instructions from God? As far as they knew, they were following instructions from Moses in the story.

I can't understand what you mean by "biblical grounds". Hitler used a Christian message in many of his publicspeeches, so perhaps he thought he was being commanded by God too. Many murderers and devient psychos seem to justify their horrendous acts by claiming a hotline to God.