deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm probably in the minority here but I hate seeing malls dying these days. I grew up going to them I have found memories of going to the arcades there and other stores. I'm not a fan of shopping ironically it's more of the atmosphere that malls give that I like more then anything else. I find them peaceful as long as they're not busy which is never these days unless you count Christmas time. Shopping for clothes is never fun but I don't understand how some people prefer shopping for them online and not knowing if they will fit it's just seems easier to try them on at a store. Anyways it's pretty depressing walking in the malls these days and seeing all the dead stores. Most of the malls I live near will be gone in a decade and turned into some lame living center place. I guess I'm a mall rat and I never even knew it lol what about you do you like going to the mall and have any fond memories? or are you glad they are dying and just want to shop online?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I went to the malls quite a bit in the 80's and 90's. I am not going to miss overpriced software, video games, and $2.50 for a single slice of cheese pizza.

Never really went to the mall to hang out unless I was going to the arcade (Aladdin). Even then, as soon as my tokens were gone so was I.

Too many people moving around aimlessly. I'm a point A-to-B kinda guy.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I've never enjoyed them. Too many people cramed into a small space, with no regard for others around them. I worked as a security guard at a mall for almost 3 years. They fucking suck for businesses (often overcharged for rent and services so small businesses can't thrive and end up replaced with chains).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@br0kenrabbit said:

I went to the malls quite a bit in the 80's and 90's. I am not going to miss overpriced software, video games, and $2.50 for a single slice of cheese pizza.

Never really went to the mall to hang out unless I was going to the arcade (Aladdin). Even then, as soon as my tokens were gone so was I.

Too many people moving around aimlessly. I'm a point A-to-B kinda guy.

Aladdin's Castle!! I played so much Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 there so many good memories.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@warmblur said:

Aladdin's Castle!! I played so much Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 there so many good memories.

That face when you put your $20 bill in the token machine instead of the $5.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56024 Posts

Malls in my area (US Mid-Atlantic/South-Eastern) were not destination spots for bargains. Businesses like Target and especially Walmart reduced mall boutique store sales because the mall stores could not hope to price match and make a profit thus beginning to decline. I don't think people started shopping online mass until around 2002 here, malls were still thriving then. What really killed malls here was the recession of 2007/2008. Higher gas prices during those years did not help either, gas was nearly $4 a gallon where I am during those years so no wonder people didn't want to go shopping at the malls.

And finally, the fundamental reason malls are dying is because fewer customers are walking into malls such as myself. People are spending less time in malls and more time on lifestyle experiences, since shopping needs are now taken care of with a click of a button such as Amazon, families are looking for activities and more time to spend together instead of spending Saturday grocery shopping or at the malls. Going to smaller stores like Target & Walmart makes sense, because everything is their and cheaper then malls. And of course, shopping online such as Amazon has never been better. We just have to get out our phones and search for what we want and we'll see the review for merchandise. I shop on Amazon cause it's easy to do, if I want to buy clothes, I go to Target or Walmart for Clothes and they have fitting rooms anyways.

I grew up with shopping malls but at the same time, I'm not gonna miss them in a few decades.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts

Ah, I still remember the street fighter arcade machine where you actually had to punch the buttons. Walking around the arcade looking for pennies so I could trade in for a quarter...haha.

Other than that, malls suck and I couldn't care less about them. It's been at least 15 years since I've been in one.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chutebox

@foxhound_fox said:

I've never enjoyed them. Too many people cramed into a small space, with no regard for others around them. I worked as a security guard at a mall for almost 3 years. They fucking suck for businesses (often overcharged for rent and services so small businesses can't thrive and end up replaced with chains).

Sounds like Costco.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yeah, I don't like the fact that mall are dying. But I don't like it for selfish reasons, like I don't go to mall that much anymore, I don't buy stuff, I don't help support it yet I would like for it to exist for me, extant forever, so whenever I do wish to go to the mall it is there waiting for me. But then again, that's how I feel about a lot of things.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's not dying where I am. For one thing, malls are a cheap way to cool off when it's +110F outside. Plus, there are only two real malls: one at the north side of the city, the other to the south.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56024 Posts

One thing I forgot to mention. Malls nowadays are just for Teenagers to shop cause it's the place for cool kids to hang and get together. You'll see more Teenagers then grown-ups depending on where you live, so malls will still be around until all the teens are fully grown up of course.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@Chutebox said:

Ah, I still remember the street fighter arcade machine where you actually had to punch the buttons. Walking around the arcade looking for pennies so I could trade in for a quarter...haha.

Other than that, malls suck and I couldn't care less about them. It's been at least 15 years since I've been in one.

As kids, we used to go fish quarters out of the fountains in the mall. As many as we wanted. No one said anything.

Edit: Oh and once as a teen I was 10 cents short on money for a gaming magazine, so I told the clerk to hold on, walked out the store and picked a dime out of the fountain, wiped it off and gave it to him.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox

@br0kenrabbit: Damn street rats haha. Unfortunately there was no fountain at my mall. But the memories man. Good times

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 br0kenrabbit

@Chutebox said:

@br0kenrabbit: Damn street rats haha. Unfortunately there was no fountain at my mall. But the memories man. Good times

My brother and I and two strangers beat TMNT Arcade at Alladins. Biggest crowd we ever drew.

Did you ever by chance play a game called T-Mek? That game took all the money to play but damn was it something else.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox

@br0kenrabbit: I have crap memory, I just remember playing street fighter, mortal kombat, off road, and the four player xmen game

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

This is something I've talked about a couple of times over the past few years. I have kept saying how I'll miss the malls when most of them are gone, and how it's hard to find places to meet people anymore.

I still don't really want to see malls go under, but I would like it if there were more places where I could meet new people. I'm not so sure that malls are the right environment for meeting people anyway. And I usually cringe a bit whenever I go to the mall anymore anyway because everything is so much more expensive there. I usually feel bad because I don't buy anything, maybe a soda at the $5 Below lol.

I remember there was this one night a few years ago where a friend and I were aimlessly checking out stores we liked there, and a girl and her friends started talking to us and we ended up playing some arcade games together. That was kind of cool. I regret not staying in touch with them, because that could have been a good way to make some friends. The only other person I really communicated with at the mall since was high on drugs, and I took pity on her because it seemed like her life was falling apart because she was such an awful person lol.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8761 Posts

Can't say I'll be upset if/when they go. I used to live near the Mall of America. Wonder what they would do with it if it closed down. It's a massive structure.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

One mall in my suburbs is open-air. But I don't like it there. It has a lot of expensive stores and it reminds me of Abercombie & Fitch previous CEO Mike Jefferies. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ewwww.

A milkshake/smoothie there costs $10

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Prefer Amazon. Really hate being in a tight space with hoards of people.

One click, everything sorted. It's a great age we live in.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

Not a fan of malls. Too many people, a really weird florescent lighting feeling like I am in a zoo for humans or something. I don't really spend my money on useless shit as it is so no reason to go, and if I ever went to a mall before, it was to go to a specific store. I know kids like to hang out there, but I was never one of those kids.

I like mom-and-pop stores, downtown areas, and so on. Happy to see that malls are dying, and downtown areas are experiencing a revival.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#21 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'm honestly fine with mostly online shopping now. But, malls are pretty nostalgic for me sometimes.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

it is a little sad. growing up in suburbia there wasn't much for kids to do to feel independent and out on their own than to go hang out at a mall. have good memories of riding bikes with my friends to go plunk down tokens at the arcade ( TMNT was the big one for us at the time ). my first "date" in grammar school was going to the mall / food court.

i understand the economics of it but agree that shopping for clothes online is shit, particularly for people who care about comfort. not to mention same day delivery is not universal and online punishes procrastination.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:

Not a fan of malls. Too many people, a really weird florescent lighting feeling like I am in a zoo for humans or something. I don't really spend my money on useless shit as it is so no reason to go, and if I ever went to a mall before, it was to go to a specific store. I know kids like to hang out there, but I was never one of those kids.

I like mom-and-pop stores, downtown areas, and so on. Happy to see that malls are dying, and downtown areas are experiencing a revival.

lol I like that analogy.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6082 Posts

Malls over where I am are mainly jammed packed with every walks of life. I go there sometimes to get coffee from time to time and lunch before going to work. I live in western Canada by the way.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I don't enjoy buying clothes on the internet either, but then again I don't really enjoy shopping for clothes at all. So boring. I do prefer trying them on first though. Up until recently this was the big problem with the mall in my town (for me at any rate), it was almost all clothing stores. Now it's kind of getting back to having a variety of stores which makes it a more fun experience for me. We've got a traditional arcade and a VR arcade, a sort of specialty food store (don't know how else to describe it, it has seasonings, olive oil, exotic jerkys, etc), a decent food court, etc. It's usually pretty busy, but I do know two of the big stores in the mall, JC Penny and Macys, are struggling and have been for a while, but it doesn't seem like the mall is going anywhere just yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Malls are still quite active here. I don't like malls since they're made for people to just wander around in. I prefer to buy whatever I want quickly and when socializing I'd rather do it at a more engaging place.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Malls are so boring these days, tho. Everybody is just staring at their iPhones.