I hate Bear Grylls!

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 iginlawasup
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

He is such a fake macho idiot. I have been into survival, camping, bushcraft since I was a kid. My dad introduced it to me because he was really into it when he was a kid. Me and my dad love Ray Mears because he is reasonable and teaches you useful information. I like survivorman too, but my dad does not like him as much as Ray Mears but still thinks he is pretty good. But I got a man vs wild dvd from the library, this guy is such a phony. He has a whole camera crew with him so he does stupid things like climbing down a waterfall, he shouldn't be encouraging people to climb down gigantic cliffs or waterfalls! In a real survival situation, it is to much of a risk. You could fall, plus he gets wet, increasing his chances for hypothermia. He kills a reindeer and eats the raw heart and drinks the blood from the throat, did that beautiful animal need to die, just so he could demonstrate? Les Stroud and Ray Mears just eat fish and the biggest thing they would catch are a bird or a rabbit. I understand why Ray Mears called him a boy scout and a showman. When he was in Hawaii, he was by this volcano, some guy went to the same spot and there was a highway 1/4 mile away.

In one episode in sierra nevada, he gets on a wooden raft and holds on down the river then falls off, climbs ashore, all wet, its night time, and he is not even shivering. He has a fire but it would be very hard to gather dry firewood at night while your soaking wet. He goes to five star hotels. This guy is a fake idiot, I hope he gets a disease from all the raw dead animals he eats. Another thing, he is always stripping and dancing around naked, he would not need to do that if you didn't climb down that waterfall of freezing water! Im straight, I don't want to see you naked! While Ray Mears or Les Stroud are gathering fire wood and building shelters, Bear is eating a rotting carcasse of a Zebra. I hope Bear Grylls gets eaten by a bear.

Your opinion Plz :P?

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

ya all his stuff is staged nonsense i think, but it's fun to watch. what really ticks me off is how he says "i''m treking through the patagonian desert, i do this" etc when the cameraman has to do it all as well!!

however, this guy is the real deal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44iDOv3i7Zs

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
I like Survivorman much more. He does everything Grylls does, only he films himself. How does that not make him better? He's said that taking care of the cameras is the most difficult part, and it would be easy if he didn't have to worry about that.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Sorry that he's more manly than any one of us could be so you already know my opinion :P
iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iginlawasup

ya all his stuff is staged nonsense i think, but it's fun to watch. what really ticks me off is how he says "i''m treking through the patagonian desert, i do this" etc when the cameraman has to do it all as well!!

however, this guy is the real deal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44iDOv3i7Zs

jpph
I should check that out sometime, thanks! [QUOTE="blackngold29"]I like Survivorman much more. He does everything Grylls does, only he films himself. How does that not make him better? .

I totally agree, but survivorman doesn't do the stupid stuff Bear does.
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

He is just demonstrating the worse case scenario (by the way that is the name of his new show). I like his show and I like Bear.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Who doesn't love a guy named Bear? I mean, come on.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts

The show is very staged, but you have to remember that it is entertainment. It is not a serious survival guide, and anyone who takes it as such is stupid. And I really wouldn't call Bear Grylls a phony. The show is, yes. But the guy is actually pretty good at survival and adventuring. He climbed Mt. Everest at a very young age. He was part of the SAS and was a survival instructor for some years.

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iginlawasup

He is just demonstrating the worse case scenario (by the way that is the name of his new show). I like his show and I like Bear.

kidsmelly

But I don't think he has to kill a large animal, when he is just going to go to a hotel and get room service afterwards.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

The show is very staged, but you have to remember that it is entertainment. It is not a serious survival guide, and anyone who takes it as such is stupid. And I really wouldn't call Bear Grylls a phony. The show is, yes. But the guy is actually pretty good at survival and adventuring. He climbed Mt. Everest at a very young age. He was part of the SAS and was a survival instructor for some years.

stanleycup98

this is pretty accurate, it's entertainment first and foremost

Vyylent5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vyylent5
Member since 2009 • 310 Posts

I think he's the best survivalist there is.

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

[QUOTE="kidsmelly"]

iginlawasup

But I don't think he has to kill a large animal, when he is just going to go to a hotel and get room service afterwards.

Finding food is part of survival. besides the reindeer example you used was a farmed raised reindeer who was going to get killed and eaten regardless.

urdead18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 urdead18
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

Despite whether it's staged or not you can't downplay some of the things he does.

Eating handfuls of bugs for breakfast, swimming naked in the arctic under ice, crossing a slippery log across white-water rapids, shimmying across ropes across 200ft drops, etc.

He does some very impressive things whether they're staged or not.

In other words, I like him and always watch the show if I find it on :).

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iginlawasup

I think he's the best survivalist there is.

Vyylent5

:) Well, I did ask for your opinion. So I guess I can't complain! :P

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
He is incredibly entertaining and that's why I like it. If I want realism, I'll go hike out into the bushes and have a good old time there.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
He shouldn't have done those behind the scenes clips, really shows how fake and setup everything is isn't really as impressive, ruins the atmosphere when the camera men are next to him in a dinghy or abseiling next to the rocks he's climbing.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

How can you argue with Bear Grylls?

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
i like to see bear grylls cuz he eats weird stuff
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#21 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

He is awesome. I don't have the courage to do 0.999999999% of what he does.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58274 Posts

Sometimes he takes his shirt off. This makes the show worth having on in the background when I'm doing homework.MichBelle

sometimes he sticks a hose up his butt and pours water in it to prove his point about staying hydrated, too. Does that make it worth it?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25

He is awesome. I don't have the courage to do 0.999999999% of what he does.

Pierst179

*hands you 100k dollars*

you do now!

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

[QUOTE="MichBelle"]Sometimes he takes his shirt off. This makes the show worth having on in the background when I'm doing homework.mrbojangles25

sometimes he sticks a hose up his butt and pours water in it to prove his point about staying hydrated, too. Does that make it worth it?

actually yes that would make it worth it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

He kills a reindeer and eats the raw heart and drinks the blood from the throat, did that beautiful animal need to die, just so he could demonstrate? Les Stroud and Ray Mears just eat fish and the biggest thing they would catch are a bird or a rabbit.

iginlawasup

That's sort of a ridiculous double standard.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="MichBelle"]Sometimes he takes his shirt off. This makes the show worth having on in the background when I'm doing homework.Ravirr

actually yes that would make it worth it.

now that I think about, I agree...totally worth it :oops:

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
it's staged. everyone knows that
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

I like him.. I don't really mind if it's "fake", or misleading, because I just watch it for the entertainment, not for the survival tips.

0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
Bear Grylls could do what Survivorman does, but it would be boring. I don't like Survivorman too much because he is limited without the camera crew and plays it safe. (Granted being out there by yourself isn't safe, but he's not climbing down waterfalls and swinging around in trees) Grylls can just run around doing crazy stuff which is more entertaining.
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts

And I really wouldn't call Bear Grylls a phony. The show is, yes. But the guy is actually pretty good at survival and adventuring. He climbed Mt. Everest at a very young age. He was part of the SAS and was a survival instructor for some years.

stanleycup98
[size=11]Yah, I'm pretty sure Bear could outlast anyone here in the wilderness.[/size]
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

How can you argue with Bear Grylls?

metroidfood

I honestly have a man crush on Bear Grylls. He is just awesome

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

He is such a fake macho idiot. I have been into survival, camping, bushcraft since I was a kid. My dad introduced it to me because he was really into it when he was a kid. Me and my dad love Ray Mears because he is reasonable and teaches you useful information. I like survivorman too, but my dad does not like him as much as Ray Mears but still thinks he is pretty good. But I got a man vs wild dvd from the library, this guy is such a phony. He has a whole camera crew with him so he does stupid things like climbing down a waterfall, he shouldn't be encouraging people to climb down gigantic cliffs or waterfalls! In a real survival situation, it is to much of a risk. You could fall, plus he gets wet, increasing his chances for hypothermia. He kills a reindeer and eats the raw heart and drinks the blood from the throat, did that beautiful animal need to die, just so he could demonstrate? Les Stroud and Ray Mears just eat fish and the biggest thing they would catch are a bird or a rabbit. I understand why Ray Mears called him a boy scout and a showman. When he was in Hawaii, he was by this volcano, some guy went to the same spot and there was a highway 1/4 mile away.

In one episode in sierra nevada, he gets on a wooden raft and holds on down the river then falls off, climbs ashore, all wet, its night time, and he is not even shivering. He has a fire but it would be very hard to gather dry firewood at night while your soaking wet. He goes to five star hotels. This guy is a fake idiot, I hope he gets a disease from all the raw dead animals he eats. Another thing, he is always stripping and dancing around naked, he would not need to do that if you didn't climb down that waterfall of freezing water! Im straight, I don't want to see you naked! While Ray Mears or Les Stroud are gathering fire wood and building shelters, Bear is eating a rotting carcasse of a Zebra. I hope Bear Grylls gets eaten by a bear.

Your opinion Plz :P?

iginlawasup

He makes it no secret, at least not anymore that he got busted, lol. I seen him on a talk show (on youtube) and he admits to really sleeping in camps and stuff. But he really does make all them shelters and all. Have you even seen the episode about the camera crew? That was an interesting one, he always has about 10 people around him all the time, saying "cut" and "action". And I'm sure them people have tents, energy bars, and Gaterades

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

They need to bring back les stroud.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I've seen a few episodes. This statement sums up the entire show he made, he was swimming in Alaskan water:
"The crew has protective clothing on. I do not." It may be fake, but he's still an incredible survivialist.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

[QUOTE="MichBelle"]Sometimes he takes his shirt off. This makes the show worth having on in the background when I'm doing homework.mrbojangles25

**** yeah it does. :lol:

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Bear Grylls is the closest thing I have to a hero. You take that it back! :evil:
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

The trouble is that the other two most probably aren't ex-SAS. And let's face it; when comparing the three, that's all that matters :P.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#38 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I remember a few episodes where he goes through mud or something, and then when it's a few hours later, he's perfectly clean and has a new shirt on :P

But I don't really see why you would hate him simply because he doesn't actually survive. I mean I think most people realize that when watching the show, they're just watching it for fun.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#39 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Bear Grylls is a protected investment. Of course he's going to get special treatment off camera. The show's not about him surviving on his own; it's about him demonstrating to the viewer what to do in those scenarios, which I think he does well. At least he's more entertaining than Survivor Man.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
It's just a TV show, plus I like watching him eat whatever he finds, since they don't run Fear Factor anymore.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Bear Grylls is a protected investment. Of course he's going to get special treatment off camera. The show's not about him surviving on his own; it's about him demonstrating to the viewer what to do in those scenarios, which I think he does well. At least he's more entertaining than Survivor Man.JustPlainLucas
Yea survivorman doesn't have Bear Grylls charisma.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#42 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I.LOVE.BEAR.GRYLLS I don't care if it's not even real survival skills, I just love watching him **** nature up.
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

he got in a frozen lake naked once because he didn´t want to get wet+ what´s the difference between killing a deer or a fish? just because the fish is uglier it doesn´t mean it has less life

also you shouldn´t hate him because he doesn´t always do it the old boring way

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#44 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
i like to see bear grylls cuz he eats weird stuff8-Bitterness
Same here, I just watch some of his stuff when he eats weird insects and organs.
bebop013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bebop013
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts
boba fett-jet pack= bear grylls
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
What are you talking about, Bear Grylls is absolutely amazing. Not only is he the youngest person to climb Mt. Everest without the guide of a sherpa, he's also the first person to fly ABOVE Everest in a small paracopter (or whatever the hell you call those things).
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
it's staged. everyone knows thatAgent-Zero
It's not that, people seem to think that he's getting help when he scales these massive cliffs. It simply isn't true. Bear Grylls also realizes that to be on television, his show needs to have entertainment value.
tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tarunramesh
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts

stanleycup98
i was acutally about to post this exactly. He is an inspiration, his tv show is just for entertainment i admit, but u know he broke his back from a parachuting accident and following that he climed mt everest, he has the guts to attempt some crazy things, and if you go look at his motovational talk seminars you will truly see he is amazing
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I don't mind. I know he has a camera crew and probably more people behind the camera in case anything happens. The show is entertaining and he does provide some interesting facts and tips while he does his thing. Plus, I love some of the scenery of the places he goes to. I also like Survivorman, probably a bit more so than Man vs. Wild.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I like Survivorman much more. He does everything Grylls does, only he films himself. How does that not make him better? He's said that taking care of the cameras is the most difficult part, and it would be easy if he didn't have to worry about that.blackngold29

Survivorman is also much more practical and realistic when it comes to surviving.