I don't feel like leaving home and growing up.

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

At the moment, I am 20, and a rising junior at the university. I will be graduating in less than two years time (21 months, to be precise). And yet, I never yearned to leave home. I imagine that I will likely still be living my parents and sister in the near future, possibly until my late 20s. Or, perhaps, I might never leave home?

Home is such a comfortable and familar place. My parents buy all of my food, put a roof over my head, and do many other things for me for free.

Is it wrong that I feel this way? I don't think my parents are going to die until I am at least 50. I can see myself living at home indefinitely until either my parents die, or I suddenly have the urge to get married and move away. Or perhaps, I might decide not to get married, living as an unmarried urban professional who elects to do no more than work, and play video games.

Do any of you guys feel this way? Is home so comfortable that you just don't want to ever leave?

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts
You don't want to get and apartment with your girlfriend or even by yourself. You don't what your missing. Independent living is so much better.
Kantus_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kantus_Mage
Member since 2011 • 172 Posts
I got away at my first chance...
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts
there is nothing wrong with staying there... but you' should be helping with food expenses and doing the chores.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Capitalist

I guess. I never clashed with my parents, so I really don't mind living with them.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23156 Posts
Go for it , dude. This is how I originally imagined 90% of Gamespotters to be anyway.
POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

being on your own is great. But if your parents are ok with you staying home try and save money since you really have no costs. You could pay off student loans if you have any. Move out when ever YOU are ready.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

I guess. I never clashed with my parents, so I really don't mind living with them.

The_Capitalist
But ask yourself this, "Do my parents mind if I live with them?" Mine considered me a freeloader by the time I was 8. Besides, living on your own is awesome. I can stay up till 10 o' clock on a school night and nobody says **** about it.
PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts
Hell no, I couldn't get out fast enough.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I started learning how to earn my own money at age 12, and I left home to start my own future at the age of 18. Was it scary? No, exhilarating because I was the one making choices for myself.
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UniverseIX
[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

cd_rom
I can stay up till 10 o' clock on a school night and nobody says **** about it.

so can people who live with there parents...
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UniverseIX
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]I started learning how to earn my own money at age 12, and I left home to start my own future at the age of 18. Was it scary? No, exhilarating because I was the one making choices for myself.

you couldn't do that while living with your parents? weird.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Be prepared. One day when least expecting it, you may be thrust into both the real world and adulthood all at once, and may find it difficult to cope. The fantasy and comfort doesn't last forever, so have a backup plan just in case.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

The Capitalist wants to indefinately live off the labors of others? There's a bit of irony there.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
I feel the same way. It's probably because it's frowned upon in the western society if you live with your parents even though there's nothing wrong with it :roll:
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5397 Posts

Heh, when I was your age I was living on my own.. in a chicken coop! (don't ask it was horrible)

Living on your own is so much better though.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cd_rom

The Capitalist wants to indefinately live off the labors of others? There's a bit of irony there.

worlock77
Oh snap son. Fetch Ayn Rand on his ass.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Capitalist

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

cd_rom

I made up this username seven years ago, son. Doesn't reflect how I feel currently.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I just can't imagine the stress of living on my own. I'm going to give it a year or 2 and try to get things on some sort of course though.
Whiteblade999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Whiteblade999
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Why leave if my parents are fine with me staying at home? I'm on good terms with mine and see no reason to leave. Granted once I get my degree and start working I will be saving money for when I do move out and helping pay the bills around here. Don't see it as a chance to mooch like you are now but as a chance to get your life sorted then move out.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
My parents would probably let me live with them for ever. I never have any problems with them and they don't mind looking after me (I don't mind it either). But at some point, even if you don't want to, you are going to have to move out. There is nothing wrong with being 20 and living with your parents in my opinion, but you are getting very close to the age at which you should probably be living on your own. The earlier you start, the better. And just because you move out doesn't mean you can't live at home. My sister has an apartment 30 minutes ago, but she often comes home and may stay for days on end for no particular reason (well, food and laundry may factor into it).
BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22 BranKetra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Do any of you guys feel this way? Is home so comfortable that you just don't want to ever leave?

The_Capitalist

No, I didn't. Stay home and remain a family man.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

I'm currently 22 and still living at home looking for a job, but I'm hoping I can get a job because I want out of here as soon as possible. I am on good terms with my parents it just I want out of here and as soon as I have the money I'm gone, possibly I'm hoping to move out of the state of Michigan and into either South Dakotah or North Dakotah within a few years if I'm lucky.

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts
You won't drain their retirement if you got a job and health insurance and take care of them, np.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cd_rom
I would think most parent's would dream of their kids growing up and becoming stable successes on their own. You guys are just taking the **** it route.
sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57457 Posts

You may think it's all great living with your parents, but try bringing home a date to your parents home. Not good.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
[QUOTE="UniverseIX"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]I started learning how to earn my own money at age 12, and I left home to start my own future at the age of 18. Was it scary? No, exhilarating because I was the one making choices for myself.

What's weird is not having the ambition to take care of yourself once you're old enough.:P My dad taught me to stand up on my own two feet and make something of myself. So I said, "Yes sir" and did it.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]I started learning how to earn my own money at age 12, and I left home to start my own future at the age of 18. Was it scary? No, exhilarating because I was the one making choices for myself.topsemag55

What's weird is not having the ambition to take care of yourself once you're old enough.:P

hahahaha

There is a time when I think everyone should become independent. Show your parents that they prepared you for the real world.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I moved out last year for my first year of University and found it hell to be honest; to be fair it was due to reasons other than not being able to cope with being on my own. But I'm moving back home this year and feel great about it. I'll move out when I'm ready. I'm giving my mum my maintenance grant to help with living costs so she's happy, and I don't feel like I'm freeloading.

CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

Don't you want independence at all? And have you run this plan by your parents? Living with your parents while you are going to university or looking for a job is one thing, but staying there when you are an adult with your own career is entirely different.

Of course staying where you are comfortable is nice, but if you never leave your comfort zone, you're never going to get anywhere.

Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#31 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10995 Posts

I moved out when I was 19, and it was fine.

Sure I had no money and my first apartment was a tiny piece of junk and it took 2 years until I got my s*** together and got a decent paying job(and finally finished school) but it was nice to be able to smoke in bed without mom knocking on my door telling me to "stop f***ing smoking in the f****ing house, josh!!!!"

I think they were happy I left..not that we had a bad relationship, but I'm sure any parent would love for their grown up kid to get out of the house.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I can't imagine living at my parents' house the rest of my life...

That being said I might be living at home until I finish college since I go to a private one 15 minutes away. Saving money.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
I'm moving in to my dorm next saturday. I'm so scared. :(
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts

Don't be a turtle. Go out and take a challenge.
Living under your parents is easy mode, don't be a casual person be HARDCORE.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

i'm 20 and don't plan on leaving till i finish school and get a nice little job, also knowing my mom should would prefer i live here forever but i wanna move out for sure by 25 but tll then i'm not in a rush

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="cd_rom"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

The_Capitalist

I made up this username seven years ago, son. Doesn't reflect how I feel currently.

I wasn't really being entirely serious. In all fairness I think it's fine to remain living with your parents as long as you want (assuming they'll have you that is). I did until my mid-20s. Just be sure to contribute to the household upkeep and expenses.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

I'm planning to move out only if:

1. Work/Studies require it (such as studying/working abroad or something)

2. Getting married

The luxuries at home can't just be replaced.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
When/if you get a girlfriend, you may feel different about it. I can't be at home for more than a week without getting antsy to leave again.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

The question is why do people need to leave their parents anyway? If it's a matter of not learning how to look after yourself, or being lazy and mooching, there's nothing stopping people from doing that AND living at "home". I don't think living at home with your parents is an issue, but being lazy and not being an equal member of the houshold (i.e. an adult child) is an issue.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

I live at home and I'm 21 but I have a part tiem job and will be starting my 2nd yr junior fall semster on the 29th so I won't be home as much or I'll be doing homework.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

worlock77

I chuckled for the same reason.

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

cd_rom

But ask yourself this, "Do my parents mind if I live with them?" Mine considered me a freeloader by the time I was 8. Besides, living on your own is awesome. I can stay up till 10 o' clock on a school night and nobody says **** about it.

bamf

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

You must have a really nice home. I hate my household family and want to get out as soon as possible and I never want to see them again.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I'd say it is a financially good move to stay at home till you finish school but I mean come on, everyone has to grow up. If you're able to make money but you don't paypartly for groceries and billsat your age... that's just wrong.

Also, I doubt too many ladies would want to date or marry someone who was 28 (I know you're 20 but I'm thinking years later down the road)and all he ever did was work and play video games.

For now, stay at home and finish school but I think you should at least give living on your own a chance for a few months and see how you like it when you do graduate.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14715 Posts

I am 21 and I still live at home. I am getting a job, so I will be working and living at home and paying rent. So I see nothing wrong with anyone doing it as long as they give their parents some kind of money to help them with bills and living expenses.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

It's your life. Do what you want.

However, make sure your parents really don't mind you staying with them.

certifieddata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 certifieddata
Member since 2007 • 46073 Posts

I know the feeling somewhat, I have a very good relationship with my parents and have worked with them in their business for years, so they get tons of help for pretty cheap lol. Down the road we've planned for me to live in a separate building on the property after me and my dad renovate it and when I do I'll be paying for the hydro, internet, water and satellite as a form of rent, so for my parents whose house will be payed off by then they won't have any other expenses than groceries or other miscellaneous items, which I think is a good trade off especially with the backyard pool and hot tub access.

imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 imetamonster
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

At the moment, I am 20, and a rising junior at the university. I will be graduating in less than two years time (21 months, to be precise). And yet, I never yearned to leave home. I imagine that I will likely still be living my parents and sister in the near future, possibly until my late 20s. Or, perhaps, I might never leave home?

Home is such a comfortable and familar place. My parents buy all of my food, put a roof over my head, and do many other things for me for free.

Is it wrong that I feel this way? I don't think my parents are going to die until I am at least 50. I can see myself living at home indefinitely until either my parents die, or I suddenly have the urge to get married and move away. Or perhaps, I might decide not to get married, living as an unmarried urban professional who elects to do no more than work, and play video games.

The_Capitalist

I have felt the same way...

Still do feel that way alot... Home is just... Home

Its safe and comfortable

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

I'm 26, full-time job and going to college and I still live at home. Yea, I want to move out, but I'm also realistic. I'm definitely not a freeloader, I pay for food, rent, internet, phone and my car instance every month. Combine all that expense with added utilities and a much higher rent? Not in this economy, with housing costs the way they are. I have a nice home and I'm treated like an adult as if my house was my own. The truth is, the whole "you gotta move out to be an adult and on your own" mentality is simply BS, especially in these hard financial times. "Growing up" and being an adult have nothing to do what house you live in. It doesn't make you a "loser" and it doesn't make you any less a man. It's all about "how" you live, not "where".

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8376 Posts

I left for basic training the day before I turned 18 but if I went to college instead I would have probably left home after I finished. Basically, you need to ask yourself if you want to get laid or not. I have a buddy who decided to live with his mom into his 20s even after he got his degree. Needless to say, he doesn't get laid very often. You're going to have to leave sooner or later if you want a normal life especially if you have children.