I don't care what anyone says. There is NO sugar substitute that tastes just like sugar.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I can always tell the difference. That's why I don't drink diet pops. They taste unnatural. I also just had some cocoa roasted almonds and even though they did have regular sugar, they also contained Stevia extract, which made the damn almonds taste artificial!

What about you guys? Ever found a sweetener that was good enough for you?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Never found a good replacement. Though my blood sugar thanks me for opting for less and less sugar.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JustPlainLucas
@horgen said:

Never found a good replacement. Though my blood sugar thanks me for opting for less and less sugar.

Yeah, I cut out a ton of sugar from just not drinking pop. I'd rather have no pop than try to drink diet.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@horgen said:

Yeah, I cut out a ton of sugar from just not drinking pop. I'd rather have no pop than try to drink diet.

So damn true.

No sugar in either tea or coffee which I used to do when I was younger.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Same here. Given up a majority of sweetened drinks, processed snack cakes, and things like that. It's amazing how much i don't miss it after kicking the habit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Yeah I can't really do artificial sweeteners, either. Thankfully I don't have much of a sweet tooth, prefer savory things. Fuzzy water (La Croix FTW!) is all I need as far as bubbly drinks go.

The only sweetener I've found that doesn't taste like chewed-up aspirin is erythritol, and it's actually pretty good. It's about 90% as sweet as sugar, can be used as a direct substitute for the most part, and the only way I can tell a difference is that it has a slight "cooling" effect (like xylitol in mint gum), but it's mild. It also doesn't dissolve in cool liquids, but that's not a big deal if you can heat them up.

It's been a life saver, I tell you what, on those rare occasions I really need something sweet.

@JustPlainLucas: give Erythritol a try if you are actually looking for something. I had given up hope on a sweetener until then.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Isn’t the fact that it tastes horrible the point? I know using sugar substitutes helped ween me off actual sugar.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Diet Dr Pepper is amazing and a gift from the gods.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I cant tell the difference between sugar and sweetners lile candral splenda etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I find Cola Zero better than the classic. But I'm not addicted to sugar so I don't feels its absence that much.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Yup, sugar's like a Porsche.......there is no substitute.

You pay for everything in life one way or another, you can't have your cake and eat it too, unfortunately.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JustPlainLucas
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I can't really do artificial sweeteners, either. Thankfully I don't have much of a sweet tooth, prefer savory things. Fuzzy water (La Croix FTW!) is all I need as far as bubbly drinks go.

The only sweetener I've found that doesn't taste like chewed-up aspirin is erythritol, and it's actually pretty good. It's about 90% as sweet as sugar, can be used as a direct substitute for the most part, and the only way I can tell a difference is that it has a slight "cooling" effect (like xylitol in mint gum), but it's mild. It also doesn't dissolve in cool liquids, but that's not a big deal if you can heat them up.

It's been a life saver, I tell you what, on those rare occasions I really need something sweet.

@JustPlainLucas: give Erythritol a try if you are actually looking for something. I had given up hope on a sweetener until then.

Interesting. Did a little research on it, and it says it has 70 percent sweetness of sugar, so I'll most likely detect it. Also a little concerned about how it's indigestible. Apparently, also has a melting point of 250 degrees F! I'm curious about the cooling effect you described. I might have to try it to see if I can detect it myself.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Interesting. Did a little research on it, and it says it has 70 percent sweetness of sugar, so I'll most likely detect it. Also a little concerned about how it's indigestible. Apparently, also has a melting point of 250 degrees F! I'm curious about the cooling effect you described. I might have to try it to see if I can detect it myself.

If you use it in moderation, it's not detectable, at least to me. So a spoonful in your coffee with some milk, for example. Or if you have a tomato sauce that's a little too tangy, put a bit in there.

The cooling effect is mild, I was only able to detect it by trying it straight. Like literally dabbing my finger in a bit and tasting it. I never experienced it when used in food.

As for the indigestible bit, not sure about that. It's never given me any problems. I did look up the warnings on, you have to eat pounds and pounds of it for there to be any issues. So unless you're making candy with it, I wouldn't be too concerned. And usually when they say "indigestible" they mean "passes through you unchanged", no "it sits in your stomach for 10 years".

I make a chia seed pudding, usually 5 cups liquid (water and coconut milk), 1/2 C of chia seeds, 1 C of erythritol, and 1/2 C cocoa powder and it's damn tasty. Previously I made this with stevia extract and it tasted like I was licking the inside of aspirin bottle. Now I can't tell the difference, only that it's slightly less sweet (and that is fine by me). Chia seeds have a ton of fiber, too, so I poop great eating this haha.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Yeah. Diet pop is disgusting.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

True. When I have to I put honey in my coffee but the taste of it overpowers everything.

BlueIon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BlueIon
Member since 2018 • 120 Posts

I rarely drank water growing up and was always drinking Diet Coke instead of the sugary stuff. I think its the only reason I’m not diabetic yet (being serious) lol But I agree that real sugar taste better by FAR, especially in coffee, haven’t found something that taste even remotely as good ☕️ ?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Stevia in coffee is ok. It's not great though in soda, especially Coke... But Coke has its own unique taste.

BlueIon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BlueIon
Member since 2018 • 120 Posts

@joshrmeyer: I am going to try some of that Stevia stuff. Thanks for the comment! ?

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sexay_Vixen
Member since 2018 • 46 Posts

T. R. U. V. I. A.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I generally use Splenda (yellow packets) as my sweetener. Of the artificial sweeteners I believe sucralose has the least ties with cancer to this point. Aspartame and Saccharin have both been tied to cancer. And Splenda tastes fine, better than Stevia for me.

I don't drink soft drinks or even beer, 90% of what I drink is water.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

Honey.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

i think coke zero is much better alternative than diet coke but there is still not the same aftertaste as good ol' corn syrup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@crimsonllama:

@crimsonllama said:

Something's going to kill you, might as well enjoy it.

Agreed.

Now where is my barrage of female sex partners? :P

I think at a certain point, if you're avoiding everything that can kill, you aren't really living that much. What's the harm in soda or alcohol, seriously?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JustPlainLucas
@sexay_vixen said:

T. R. U. V. I. A.

It's derived from Stevia, which I was able to taste in my almonds, so I'd definitely be able to taste that too.

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sexay_Vixen

@JustPlainLucas:

Stevia.........in almonds? Wtf?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JustPlainLucas
@sexay_vixen said:

@JustPlainLucas:

Stevia.........in almonds? Wtf?

Yeah, it was part of the cocoa flavoring.

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sexay_Vixen

@JustPlainLucas:

What brand?

Omg thought you were trolling! Lol

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JustPlainLucas
@sexay_vixen said:

@JustPlainLucas:

What brand?

Omg thought you were trolling! Lol

Emerald.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Yeah I can tell straight away if its diet pop or not. People say I bet you cant tell the difference if I put 2 out with one normal and one diet but I bet I can. It just a complete different taste. Also when adverts or news say drink less sugar etc ive been told by my doc and dietitian to eat more things with sugar, salt etc to get blood pressure up. The think is its getting harder and harder to find stuff with the right amount of sugar in as normal chocolate is been reduced too. Think people like me should get a free prescription from docs when they say eat more sugar.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

Yeah I hate diet coke and Coke Zero. Have a metallic taste?

IronBrigador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IronBrigador
Member since 2018 • 113 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I can always tell the difference. That's why I don't drink diet pops. They taste unnatural. I also just had some cocoa roasted almonds and even though they did have regular sugar, they also contained Stevia extract, which made the damn almonds taste artificial!

What about you guys? Ever found a sweetener that was good enough for you?

Sugar is basically cane sugar and Stevia is from the Stevia plant. So theres nothing unnatural about "Stevia" since its just a different plant thats much lower in calories, if you are into calorie watching.

They are both "unnatural" as in they are both extracted artificially and processed, unlike fructose from fruits. Stevia always has a slight bitter aftertaste though.

In any case, I dont drink sodas and I limit sweet things, including fruits. Speaking of coke however, I prefer Coke Zeros anyday over classic, I just dont like the latter at all for some reason.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I like most diet soda. I have a feeling there is a genetic component to the taste aspect.

Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

I love Coke Zero. Tastes just as good as regular Coca Cola.

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sexay_Vixen

Guys that calorie count make me laugh in the same way a man carrying a small shopping bag does.