Hurricane Irma is most powerful ever in Atlantic as it hits Caribbean islands.Heading for the florida keys.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

So one of the most powerful hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean in like 12 years is affecting islands in the NE caribbean right now.This hurricane is going to be really damaging to anywere it hits now and in the next week or so. Weather models expect it to affect anywere from the Florida Panhandle to the Southern Eastern US.

Excerpt from theguardian article

The most powerful Atlantic Ocean hurricane in recorded history bore down on the islands of the north-east Caribbean on Tuesday night local time, following a path predicted to then rake Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba before possibly heading for Florida over the weekend.

At the far north-eastern edge of the Caribbean, authorities on the Leeward Islands of Antigua and Barbuda cut power and urged residents to shelter indoors as they braced for Hurricane Irma’s first contact with land early on Wednesday.

Officials warned people to seek protection from Irma’s “onslaught” in a statement that closed with: “May God protect us all.”

The category 5 storm had maximum sustained winds of 185 miles (295km) per hour by early Tuesday evening, according to the US National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Miami."

State of emergencies have also been issued for Puerto Rico, Florida and the US Virgin Islands.

If anyone here lives in the potential path of the hurricane in the US I suggest you prepare now because the hurricane is likely to start affecting Florida and other possibly landfall locations in the US as early as this weekend.As usual follow your local NWS and the NHC for more info on this storm.The current NHC forecast show this hurricane not weakening a lot by the time it reaches florida on the weekend.Also please keep all political discussion out of this thread.

It looks like the storm will make landfall in the florida keys now as cat 5 hurricane early sunday morning.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#2 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

It's a scary time with another huge hurricane hitting, and so shortly after Texas.

I hope people realize the state of emergency is something they don't just ignore until the last minute.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Hoping it makes a random trek back out into the Atlantic.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@shellcase86 said:

Hoping it makes a random trek back out into the Atlantic.

That's looking incredibly unlikely at this point. People living in Florida and Coast Georgia need to be on alert and hurricane plans in place.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Rough year for the coastal areas it is.......

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@super600: I'm in Atlanta GA. Me and the family are keeping an eye on the Hurricane as we speak. I'm already preparing to leave Atlanta if the storm comes near the City and We'll be heading to VA were my cousins are living.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@davillain- said:

@super600: I'm in Atlanta GA. Me and the family are keeping an eye on the Hurricane as we speak. I'm already preparing to leave Atlanta if the storm comes near the City and We'll be heading to VA were my cousins are living.

Screw VA, come to Chicago, we can go bowling!

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@davillain- said:

Lastest NHC forecast has the storm right off the coast of GA by early next week.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I think they said it's the second most powerful Atlantic hurricane ever(for as long as they've been tracking hurricanes). And I think it also just broke a record for how long of time a hurricane stays at 185 mph.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I visited Homestead AFB two years after Hurricane Andrew leveled it. All the damage were still there. It felt nasty and weird being there. Physically, the main problems were alligators and packs of feral dogs who took up residence in the ruins.

Plus, the PH government turned the ship my wife took a photo of into a memorial for the super-typhoon victims.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

If it stays on its path we will get hit friday night/saturday.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

My long time home the island of St. Thomas just got a direct hit and reports from my island fam is it is totally FUBAR. Every power line down. The only Hospital had the roof blown off. Biggest grocery store is totally wiped off the map. Many will be homeless and all industry is done for a while. I am and always will be an island boy at heart, and most of the Islands are pucked. They are dependent on tourism and will likely have none for a long time.

If it is still a 5 and you can evacuate. Do it! There is no reason to stay and the aftermath will be terrible for weeks to months even years. Most houses in the Caribbean are made from concrete, roofs and all. Homes in the states not so much. None of the places I lived there would have been safe. My roof would be gone, flooded or just demolished. Friends stayed in huge hotels like Ritz Carlton and Marriott said you could feel the walls moving. Both buildings that were massive and built for this both were damaged and Ritz lost a roof. This one right now is just a monster.

If there was a category 6 which was never imagined this is it. I been through a number of 1s and 2s but this is 500x stronger and a killer. My island friends didn't have the option to drive north or south on the highway, if you do? Dont be brave and stupid, just go. Even if you survive the storm life will be hell for a long time.

Be safe all.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Looks like we'll run out of money for this year's war budget at this rate.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Looks like we'll run out of money for this year's war budget at this rate.

Gas prices increase is just the beginning :(

@FireEmblem_Man said:

I heard it's cold up there in Chicago.

@eliminatorpaige said:

Climate Change is a liberal lie obviously. When will people wake up and actually accept it? This will happen more often and we need to adjust to save lives.

I feel like after the whole Eclipse happen, we been seeing more powerful Hurricanes in a long time.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I'm in Florida and while I'm not on the coast, I gotta say it seems a little scary. I have plenty of water, food, and fuel plus other things like pet food and medicines. It's mostly the lack of shutters or window protection on the building I live in that bothers me, but can't do much about that.

I would love to just sit back and play some games over the long weekend (cancelled classes), but I got stuck with a big power electronics assignment and there's an ACM conference paper deadline in a week...so I guess I'll be pretty busy.

Wilma was pretty shitty, hope power doesn't go out for more than a couple of days this time.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@davillain- said:

After bowling, treat him to a real Taco.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@achilles614 said:

I'm in Florida and while I'm not on the coast, I gotta say it seems a little scary. I have plenty of water, food, and fuel plus other things like pet food and medicines. It's mostly the lack of shutters or window protection on the building I live in that bothers me, but can't do much about that.

I would love to just sit back and play some games over the long weekend (cancelled classes), but I got stuck with a big power electronics assignment and there's an ACM conference paper deadline in a week...so I guess I'll be pretty busy.

Wilma was pretty shitty, hope power doesn't go out for more than a couple of days this time.

Im in Tampa and i got my laptop ready, charged, multiple batteries and a battery back up pack.

If the power goes out for a bit, ill be ready to finish playing Metro.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@eliminatorpaige said:

Climate Change is a liberal lie obviously. When will people wake up and actually accept it? This will happen more often and we need to adjust to save lives.

Yep... but people would rather put a blindfold on and pretend everything is fine & we can keep going the way we're going. Unbelievable.

Future generations are the ones who are going to suffer most.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@achilles614: I'm with you on Wilma it's the reason I moved from Florida after Francis and jeane made a living hell out of our time we did not like going through Wilma this one and Jose both look like they are repeating 04 where two hurricane hit 1 week after each other

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Storm was supposed to hit us last night at 6 pm. Nothing much where I live (West coast of Florida) It broke up a lot on Cuba and Puerto Rico. Also it went along the Miami side of Florida.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

Storm was supposed to hit us last night at 6 pm. Nothing much where I live (West coast of Florida) It broke up a lot on Cuba and Puerto Rico. Also it went along the Miami side of Florida.

uh nevermind that i guess it's coming tonight...

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

LOL, it's Saturday night into Sunday morning dude. Stay safe.