This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Anyone here like to hunt?  I've hunted waterfowl, deers and even beavers in North Carolina to help a neighbor out because the beavers were screwing up his wooden bridge he just built.

#2 Posted by Valamil (298 posts) -

I enjoy hunting. I've bagged deer, turkey, upland fowl, and various small game. I will be applying for the NH moose lottery this year, and would love to someday hunt sheep, elk, bear, and perhaps go on an African safari.

#3 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

I enjoy hunting. I've bagged deer, turkey, upland fowl, and various small game. I will be applying for the NH moose lottery this year, and would love to someday hunt sheep, elk, bear, and perhaps go on an African safari.

Valamil
New Hampshire, you are very lucky. That is good hunting land. I mainly do my hunting in Florida which isn't the best hunting land. Would love to hunt way up north. North Carolina and Tennessee are the only other places I've hunted and they were amazing.
#4 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I hunted for a few years when I was younger, never saw any deer which made me lose interest pretty quickly... although I've been thinking about taking up bowhunting, for some reason I just enjoy shooting bows more than guns. Although I'd have to find some public land to do it on, my family doesn't have any private property to hunt on.

#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I don't like the idea of killing for fun, but I have no problem with killing an animal for food.
#9 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -
I don't like the idea of killing for fun, but I have no problem with killing an animal for food. Fightingfan
And you don't think that hunters eat what they kill? Even if they didn't, controlled hunting is very good at controlling (and increasing) animal populations: typically far more animals will die from starvation or disease if there were no hunting. Lets say that there is enough food to feed 3 deer, and there are 4 deer. If one of them is shot, the other 3 will live . If none of them are shot, they will all starve until one dies (which is typically the youngest), even if all of the other 3 survive, the population is less healthy and older the next year. (Even PETA will agree with this, but they try to twist it to say it is a bad thing because it increase Traffic Accidents and stuff like that)
#10 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I don't like the idea of killing for fun, but I have no problem with killing an animal for food. Jacobistheman
And you don't think that hunters eat what they kill? Even if they didn't, controlled hunting is very good at controlling (and increasing) animal populations: typically far more animals will die from starvation or disease if there were no hunting. Lets say that there is enough food to feed 3 deer, and there are 4 deer. If one of them is shot, the other 3 will live . If none of them are shot, they will all starve until one dies (which is typically the youngest), even if all of the other 3 survive, the population is less healthy and older the next year. (Even PETA will agree with this, but they try to twist it to say it is a bad thing because it increase Traffic Accidents and stuff like that)

You're adding more into the equation. I have a problem with "Hey, I bought a new gun! Lets go kill something with it simply for the sake of killing".
#11 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1341 posts) -
Why hunt when you can go to the grocery store?
#12 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -
Why the hell yall remove my post when I clearly said I was joking and why close my dog thread about debarking dogs
#13 Posted by JustPlainLucas (77822 posts) -
Why hunt when you can go to the grocery store?Granny_Spanked
Do you know a grocery store that sells beaver?
#14 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"]Why hunt when you can go to the grocery store?JustPlainLucas

Exactly, or wild board or deer or coon / squirrel for that matter :P.
#15 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I don't like the idea of killing for fun, but I have no problem with killing an animal for food. Fightingfan

You're adding more into the equation. I have a problem with "Hey, I bought a new gun! Lets go kill something with it simply for the sake of killing".

I don't like the fact that some people do this because I think it is the wrong reason (but 99% of hunters don't this), but I am adding information to the equation because there is more information in the equation. I just wanted to point out that these actions typically lead to increases in population, which unless you are PETA, is probably considered a good thing. It is something to think about.
#16 Posted by Blood-Scribe (6465 posts) -
Yeah, I've been hunting with my dad since I was 12. Used to go all the way out to west Texas to hunt rio grande turkey, but now we just stick with white tailed deer.
#17 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22675 posts) -

I prefer fishing. I like baked fish.

#18 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"]Why hunt when you can go to the grocery store?JustPlainLucas

I'm sure those party crazy Canadians have that readily available.
#19 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Jacobistheman"] And you don't think that hunters eat what they kill? Even if they didn't, controlled hunting is very good at controlling (and increasing) animal populations: typically far more animals will die from starvation or disease if there were no hunting. Lets say that there is enough food to feed 3 deer, and there are 4 deer. If one of them is shot, the other 3 will live . If none of them are shot, they will all starve until one dies (which is typically the youngest), even if all of the other 3 survive, the population is less healthy and older the next year. (Even PETA will agree with this, but they try to twist it to say it is a bad thing because it increase Traffic Accidents and stuff like that)Jacobistheman

I don't like the fact that some people do this because I think it is the wrong reason (but 99% of hunters don't this), but I am adding information to the equation because there is more information in the equation. I just wanted to point out that these actions typically lead to increases in population, which unless you are PETA, is probably considered a good thing. It is something to think about.

I agree, and Hitler had that same mentality as well. He really understood crowd control. [spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

#20 Posted by comp_atkins (34395 posts) -
does fishing count?
#21 Posted by Legend002 (13374 posts) -

Hunting is fun. I like.

#22 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

I'm from North Louisiana where you're considered weird if you don't hunt. Duck hunting is my favorite.

#23 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
I enjoy hunting. I rifle and bow hunt.
#24 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -
I fish and have only been hunting once.
#25 Posted by Saxonhoo (412 posts) -

I prefer fishing. I like baked fish.

jun_aka_pekto

Mmmmm fishing is the "bee's knees."

#26 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

I don't like the idea of killing for fun, but I have no problem with killing an animal for food. Fightingfan

It think it might be interesting to hunt for small fowl.

#27 Posted by BossPerson (9177 posts) -

Considering I live in a modern society, no. 

I cant bring myself to kill something any bigger than a mouse....

unless its a giant bug.

#28 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -
Agree.. I do like to try beavers BBQ though.. or maybe not?!
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
#29 Posted by UnknownSniper65 (9238 posts) -

I like hunting ,but I'm not super into it like some people I've met. My hunting gear consists of jeans,gloves, a hat and a blaze orange coat.

#30 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
nope and don't care if anyone does as long as they eat what they kill.
#31 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (48978 posts) -
I've never been hunting, but I would like to try it someday.
#32 Posted by ROFLCOPTER603 (2140 posts) -

Considering I live in a modern society, no.

I cant bring myself to kill something any bigger than a mouse....

unless its a giant bug.

BossPerson

Hunting for food is more humane than modern meat farming practices. At least the hunted animals have a chance.

#33 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

I live in South Dakota so we have some pretty good pheasant hunting here, and I go out every year