How you feel about soundtrack being reused?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37116 Posts

How do you feel about music scores being recycled for future use outside of directly related sequels? I guess we can include other media like games, because... why not.

I was watching A View To A Kill, which is a terrible movie. But has a fantastic soundtrack, that will probably always be relegated to that movie.

It seems like such a waste. Personally, wouldn't have little problem with some soundtracks being re-used again in later movies. Indeed, Spectre (another bad movie) uses OHMSS for the trailer, but never actually uses it in the movie, and certainty worked to make the movie seem better than it actually was.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

TBH not really sure what you are talking about; if a movie reused a soundtrack, it's been so long since I saw the original soundtrack use that I did not notice.

What I do hate, though, is when movies tend to use the same song (usually something pop or relevent), like when every single movie seemed to use this Arcade Fire song for their "inspirational hero epic moment" in their movie.

There's so much good music out there, and imo I think various forms of media have a responsibility to expose us to that new music, and not to recycle the same shit.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts

I've ran into a few movies of which you have described. Doesn't really bother me, but it is noticable.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3810 Posts

Lazy is the first thought that comes to mind.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 19961 Posts

Lazy, but I can't deny Ennio Morricone:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 214

#6 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14041 Posts

Leitmotif: "a recurrent theme throughout a musical or literary composition, associated with a particular person, idea, or situation."

This is a common technique in soundtrack scores. Certain musical themes are connected to certain franchises, movies, games, characters, situations, etc.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9310 Posts

It actually does kind of bug me. I remember when the trailer for The Accountant was shown in theaters the song choice just didn't make sense to me. Have no idea if the movie was any good, apparently it is rated pretty well. But the trailer didn't sell me on it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79707 Posts

Depends... if it's recomposed, it helps connect previous films together. But if it's just a straight up copy and paste, then that's lazy.