DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5483 Posts

I stiffed a barber yesterday and I feel guilty about it. She seemed to be so intent on her stylings. But in the end, I just didn't dig what she did. Still feel bad tho.

How well do YOU tip?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11916 Posts

15% for waiters/waitresses, even if the food sucks. If their service sucks though, I'll from 10% to 0.
For Uber it's usually 15% if they don't talk that much. If they talk my ear off I won't tip them shit.
15% for Skip the Dishes, 20% if the roads are really bad.

I don't tip for anything else like non-sit-down restaurants or coffee shops. I cut my own hair so no worries with barbers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38481 Posts

We don't tip in Scotland, they are already getting money for a doing a job. If i'm going to give money away it will be for a charity.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41130 Posts

20% tips for the following:

• My personal Barber (30% for the woman, I'm a gentleman after all)
  • The waiter/waitress when heading out to a well known good restaurant

And as for Pizza deliveries, lets just say the Pizza boys don't come to my hood lol. But I don't place an order for delivery, I go get it myself and I'll drop 5% tip and I'm being generous about it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13  Online
Member since 2011 • 10023 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

We don't tip in Scotland, they are already getting money for a doing a job. If i'm going to give money away it will be for a charity.

Same here. Unlike in America, their salary does not depend on costumer tips. However, people sometimes do tip on restaurants or food delivery as an appreciation for the provided service.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38481 Posts

@johnd13 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Same here. Unlike in America, their salary does not depend on costumer tips. However, people sometimes do tip on restaurants or food delivery as an appreciation for the provided service.

Yes, I will if it's Christmas or New Year, just, to not be a dick, otherwise nope.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6007 Posts

My server does not require tips. Only power and packets.

yuk yuk yuk

My barber charges $16 for a cut. I usually just toss them a twenty.

At restaurants i usually eyeball ~20%.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1054 Posts

I usually tip around 20%. My mom was a waitress for most of my younger years and my wife is a barber so I know what tips can mean to a service worker.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 2953 Posts

Depends on the service. I usually do 15% - 20% for average service. If they do an outstanding job, I'll give them 40%.

I'll tip zero for crap service. A group of us went out one night and the place was mostly empty. The waitress only came around every 20 minutes. One of my buddies caught her just bullshitting on her phone. Anyway, we spent about $800 dollars there and she didn't get a dime.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46039 Posts

Depends.

If I'm ordering drinks, I usually tip 1 dollar per beer. So if a beer is 4 dollars I'll just give them a 5 dollar bill.

For restaurant service I generally double the tax (works out to ~16%). If it's great service I will go up to 20%, if it is bad service I will just tip the regular tax (about 8%).

If I am ordering at a deli or cafe and there is no service but the person making my order, I will usually give them the change or throw a buck or two into the jar. If you go often enough people recognize you, know you're a good dude since you tip...I forgot my wallet once at my local deli and they were like "Nah man, don't worry about. On the house" I imagine part of that is because of my patronage and part of it because I tip.

@uninspiredcup said:

Tip is for service and extra effort. I also wouldn't call tipping "giving money away".

For example, you pay a company to deliver a large package at your door. If the driver is polite, brings the package into your home, and helps you set it up (like a couch or something), that is a good service and deserves a reward.

It's important to remember that a lot of service-based professionals receive minimum wage and depend on tip, so tipping is almost a necessity if you want to consider the culture you live in fair.

Although I heard in Europe and elsewhere this is not the case and they are actually paid well enough, so maybe it's different for you guys.

Without tipping, however, there is little incentive to do a good job at something that pays you minimum wage. So if it's a choice between existing in a culture with poor to average service but no tipping, or existing in a culture with average to excellent service with tipping, I would choose the latter.

Plus it's optional; you don't have to tip (though you'd be a dick if you didn't), and you also don't have to eat out at places with servers.

Just going to put this here:

Loading Video...

Good arguments on both sides.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11916 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

That's the way it should be, in my opinion. It was the same in Australia when I lived there. They were paid adequately and didn't expect tips. It does work out well for my wife though. She has a decent job in the medical field and still works 1-2 nights a week bartending. She comes home with $200-300 in cash. It's good for us but it doesn't change my opinion.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8312 Posts

I heard it is actually rude to tip in Japan? Is this true? Regardless, I tip 15-20%.

40-50% if I am really good friends with him or her or if they display really outstanding service.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2152 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

I stiffed a barber yesterday and I feel guilty about it. She seemed to be so intent on her stylings. But in the end, I just didn't dig what she did. Still feel bad tho.

How well do YOU tip?

Your tipping/low minimum wage system is poor.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79941 Posts

I start at 15 and it goes up or down depending on the service.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 101 Posts

If the server has a rough attitude like she doesn't want to even be there or is rude/messes up the order I won't tip or will only give a couple bucks. If they seem to have a good work ethic and are pleasant I will tip about 15%. When servers complain about not making enough with tips I find it ridiculous because they knew what they were signing up for before they got the job.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3066 Posts

0%

We don't tip and in the past 5 months I've got a $1.40 in tips. 1 person, it was change lol.

On $25 an hour, so I don't really need them either.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 4477 Posts

Restaurants around 20% for good service, but if its bad i wont tip at all. ive made it a point to tip the cooks in boh if the food is great.

Barbers about 5 bucks per cut.

I usually wont use delivery but if I do 20%, usually I call it in and pick up myself, but I always tip 1 dollar when I do.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5483 Posts

@THUMPTABLE: Agreed.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14975 Posts

@plageus900 said:

Depends on the service. I usually do 15% - 20% for average service. If they do an outstanding job, I'll give them 40%.

Same.

People make bank working tips anyhow. My sister while she was in college brought in $3-400 a day from tips when she was paid like $6/hour. She worked at an upscale restaurant. Can't imagine that type of dough every day.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4327 Posts

I will tip $8-$10 on a $25 to $30 restaurant bill, if the service was lousy, witch doesn't happen to be to often, I tip nothing. If I go to a better class steakhouse, assuming that the bill for me alone is nearly a $100 ribeye or t-bone, I will give $40 or $50. I tip pretty good most of the time because no good tip, no good service next time.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24322 Posts

Usually about $3.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19736 Posts

25% unless service is demonstrably bad. I also include around 20% for to-go orders.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19736 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

It's important to remember that a lot of service-based professionals receive minimum wage and depend on tip, so tipping is almost a necessity if you want to consider the culture you live in fair.

Without tipping, however, there is little incentive to do a good job at something that pays you minimum wage. So if it's a choice between existing in a culture with poor to average service but no tipping, or existing in a culture with average to excellent service with tipping, I would choose the latter.

Plus it's optional; you don't have to tip (though you'd be a dick if you didn't), and you also don't have to eat out at places with servers.

Just going to put this here:

Loading Video...

Good arguments on both sides.

Mr. Pink's argument neglects a very important fact. Workers in tipped positions like restaurant servers do not make minimum wage plus whatever you tip them. They make an even lower wage because they are expected to regularly receive tips. Although the exact minimums for tipped and untipped workers varies by state, federal tipped minimum is $2.13. Tips are not inherently extra money for these workers, they are a necessary part of their wages to be able to even make as much as minimum wage workers.

Horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122447 Posts

None.. It’s not the culture here.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 4823 Posts

@realistic44: Its not rude, but people get the same reaction as if your father in law slipped you a $5 note as if to say "Trying to help you out."

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4658 Posts

15-20% is where I start. Thankfully, most servers are good at their job and have good social skills.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20125 Posts

In the Netherlands I don't usually tip as it's not really necessary. People get paid a decent amout and don't depend on it.

If the service is exceptional, I'll tip 20% max. In other cases I'll round up the price.

I also believe your tip doesn't always go to the waiter or waitress that served you. In alot of cases it goes to a tipjar that will be splitted at the end of the day.

I spend alot of time in Hungary, where it is very custom to tip pretty much anyone that provide you with a service. Sometimes the tip is included in the price. Here I'll tip more generous, in some cases people really depend on it. Service still has to be good though.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25483 Posts

Nothing. I'm not american.