hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

How violent is the movie Fury? I'm thinking about watching it, however, i don't like watching movies that have a lot of violence, blood, gore, etc.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Then the movie isn't for you. It's a very realistic depiction of war, what the weapons of was were capable of during that time, and simply how horrible the war in Germany was in 1945.

We're talking piles of rotting bodies being piled into mass graves, children hung on the side of the road by the SS, limbs being removed by bullets, some poor guy's head removed by an 88mm round from a Tiger tank, and some guy who, while complete engulfed in flames after a kid hit his Sherman tank with a Panzerfaust, shoots himself in the head.

So yeah, it's incredibly violent and very brutal. It's not a PG-13 action movie.

Germany 1945 was not a good place to be. Let's put it that way.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Only as violent as history dictates. So very violent. I mean it isn't as gory as the saw movies but limbs being blown off and otherwise painfully depicted deaths from shrapnel both from the tank's armament and how brutally violent people died inside the tanks aren't cushioned.

I mean hell. Tank = Violence.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wasdie  Moderator

@CreasianDevaili said:

Only as violent as history dictates. So very violent. I mean it isn't as gory as the saw movies but limbs being blown off and otherwise painfully depicted deaths from shrapnel both from the tank's armament and how brutally violent people died inside the tanks aren't cushioned.

8mm bullets from a MG-42 also do remove limbs very well.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CreasianDevaili

@Wasdie said:

@CreasianDevaili said:

8mm bullets from a MG-42 also do remove limbs very well.

And that is also one of the "human element" points of the trailer.

Having been a big gamer in some of the tank simulation online games around the web and having to actually learn where to hit other tanks and not get hit on my own kind of brought to home how much of a death trap even the WWII era tanks were.

Also wanted to see how they would handle the medium M4 sherman vs german tanks such as the heavy panther, tiger, or as you mentioned medium panzer.

I think the film as worth the money to watch it personally.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
@Wasdie said:

Then the movie isn't for you. It's a very realistic depiction of war, what the weapons of was were capable of during that time, and simply how horrible the war in Germany was in 1945.

We're talking piles of rotting bodies being piled into mass graves, children hung on the side of the road by the SS, limbs being removed by bullets, some poor guy's head removed by an 88mm round from a Tiger tank, and some guy who, while complete engulfed in flames after a kid hit his Sherman tank with a Panzerfaust, shoots himself in the head.

So yeah, it's incredibly violent and very brutal. It's not a PG-13 action movie.

Germany 1945 was not a good place to be. Let's put it that way.

May not be for him... but I'm thinking I might get some enjoyment from that, I've always liked gore and action movies. :)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wasdie  Moderator

@CreasianDevaili said:

And that is also one of the "human element" points of the trailer.

Having been a big gamer in some of the tank simulation online games around the web and having to actually learn where to hit other tanks and not get hit on my own kind of brought to home how much of a death trap even the WWII era tanks were.

Also wanted to see how they would handle the medium M4 sherman vs german tanks such as the heavy panther, tiger, or as you mentioned medium panzer.

I think the film as worth the money to watch it personally.

They handled that scene between the tanks very well. They did a good job in showing the extreme power imbalance between the various tanks. Of course everything was at much closer range than it would have been in real life, but it is a movie and seeing tanks shoot at each other from over 1 km away doesn't make for very good scenes.

The only part of the movie that disappointed me was how it got really Hollywood at the end. I understand why they did it, but it's a bit disheartening after the rest of the movie was as authentic as they could make it while still being a good watch.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

@double_decker said:

May not be for him... but I'm thinking I might get some enjoyment from that, I've always liked gore and action movies. :)

Calling it an action movie is a bit misleading. It's not actiony/gorey in a way Quentin Tarantino movies are. It's a very realistic portrayal of war. Extremely intense and brutal. It also goes to great lengths to show how messed up the last few weeks of WWII in Germany were.

Very few movies have the guts to show kids under the age of 15 getting shot. This one does.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CreasianDevaili

@Wasdie said:

They handled that scene between the tanks very well. They did a good job in showing the extreme power imbalance between the various tanks. Of course everything was at much closer range than it would have been in real life, but it is a movie and seeing tanks shoot at each other from over 1 km away doesn't make for very good scenes.

The only part of the movie that disappointed me was how it got really Hollywood at the end. I understand why they did it, but it's a bit disheartening after the rest of the movie was as authentic as they could make it while still being a good watch.

Yeah I figured most knew how it would "end" with how so many war movies seem to go these days. But I agree that it didn't really spoil the weight that most of the movie held.

Maybe we will get a director's cut ending that goes more in line with the authenticity of the atmosphere.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wasdie  Moderator

@CreasianDevaili said:

@Wasdie said:

Yeah I figured most knew how it would "end" with how so many war movies seem to go these days. But I agree that it didn't really spoil the weight that most of the movie held.

Maybe we will get a director's cut ending that goes more in line with the authenticity of the atmosphere.

That would be a pretty big cut/change. Spoilers below as I don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it.

They would basically have to redo the entire end battle. What would really have happened would have been the Germans would have held up on the sight of the tank, and probably sent a few scouts to check it out. Now they could have it where the scouts decide that the tank is harmless because of the bodies and they are in a rush (and a tad bit arrogant), so they Germans come down the road anyways. The Americans would have been able to get a good ambush off and waste a good number of the Germans, but they wouldn't continue to throw waves of men at the tank. They would realize the tank is stuck and probably bypass it completely or launch a two pronged flank attack on each side or maybe the rear and hit it with a panzerfaust or two. They may take some more casualties (attacking tanks suck as infantry), but they wouldn't be slaughtered.

The whole time through that scene I was just laughing at how stupid the German officers were. They kept throwing their guys right at a fixed hull gun (the front gun) and kept getting mowed down by a tank turret in the open. They would have probably thrown a lot of smoke and would be able to get right up on it. Instead they got slaughtered in the near hundreds by 5 guys. It was just a bit too much. I get what the director was trying to do, but it just ended up feeling way too Hollywood and disconnected from reality.

At least during the end of Saving Private Ryan they made it more believable. But there they had the advantage of having a bunch of extra Americans they could just kill off instead of having only main characters to kill. I think the writers of Fury kind of wrote themselves in to a corner with that one. Would have been more believable if the tank was accompanied by a platoon of like 20 men from various squads that somehow survived the brutal fighting up until then and would have ended with all but the one guy dying. That would have made more sense and still had the impact.