How to set up mics for filming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Hey, I'm under an extreme budget and was wondering if anybody had some advice for me.

I'm looking to hook up a wireless microphone to film from a distance and get good quality audio (voice) from the person I'm filming.

It's mainly for a Youtube prank video kind of ordeal, so we can secretly film from a distance whilst performing stunts/pranks and being able to catch the conversations clearly.

Thanks! Say, what happened to the old forums? I swear there was an audio/video section, lol.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

Hmm... I guess it kind of depends how large the microphone is, how easily concealable it is. I'd suggest trying a bunch of things, like hiding it in bags or bushes or something... but do tests first to see if it even picks up the sound well.

It would probably be easiest if you could clip it to your actors, like a sting operation :P

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

@bob_toeback: Any idea what I'd buy for the whole clip microphone thing? I tried calling my friend off a phone, and taking the audio from the phone directly to the camera, but it didn't work too well.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

@Wakanoid: I don't overly know what I'm talking about. But from what i understand a "lavaliere mike" is one that can clip on to your lapel. I'm not sure what kinds are for good quality, but it might be a good idea to look into a rental place and asking them. They should know what their talking about, and be able to give you some prices.

Another idea I came up with, is you could have someone who pretends to be a bystander, who stands near the action, and holds the microphones, in an inconspicuous manner, and the people who are supposed to be in the scene act as decoys from the audio recorder. This might not work very we;l, though