How often do criminals actually get caught for certain crimes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BMD004 (5883 posts) -

Law shows and people generally think that most criminals get caught. I find this hard to believe. I bet most criminals get away with it. Murder for example. What percentage of murderers are caught?

Burglaries and robberies is another example. I bet the vast majority get away with it.

High speed chases. I bet a lot of people have got away from the cops. The only reason you see the high speed chases on TV come to an end, is because they already have the news choppers in the air following the chase, which means it has already been going on for a while.

Any thoughts, opinions, or facts you'd like to share?

#2 Posted by rawsavon (40001 posts) -

Any thoughts, opinions, or facts you'd like to share?

BMD004

TV =/= Real life.
Not everyone gets caught.

I don't really know what you want us to discuss with this.
If you want stats, a quick google search will get you that

#3 Posted by idk761 (3229 posts) -
From my Criminal Justice Class, it says about 33% of criminals get caught while the crime is in progress. Not sure about the % after the crime has been committed, because I don't really pay attention to statistics.
Avatar image for TroubleMaker411
#4 Posted by TroubleMaker411 (1445 posts) -

Stupidity.....

And This Man.....

hc

#5 Posted by gameguy6700 (12197 posts) -
IIRC only 50% of murderers get caught. Thing to remember though is that includes gang violence and other sorts of killings related to underground activity where it's nearly impossible to find out anything about the victim much less the killer. Generally speaking though, if you commit a crime randomly (ie you have no relation to the victim whatsoever), get away from the scene of the crime before anyone sees you, and leave no personal identifiers then you'll probably get away with it.
#6 Posted by soren008 (2190 posts) -

I used to shoplift food & beer from the supermarket for lunch in school - did it roughly 100 times - didn't get caught once

#7 Posted by needled24-7 (15902 posts) -

there's a huge semen database with every criminal's semen, that's how they catch them.

Avatar image for TroubleMaker411
#8 Posted by TroubleMaker411 (1445 posts) -

I used to shoplift food & beer from the supermarket for lunch in school - did it roughly 100 times - didn't get caught once

soren008

Beer for school lunch?

dude, there may actually be bigger issues than shoplifting for you :lol:

#9 Posted by zidan4000 (3167 posts) -
I agree with your point when you say that most of the criminals get away with it , for example you can go in the midnight and kill a random guy in a random with a gun while you are wearing a mask or something and get away with it very easily , heck it would be impossible for the police to track the trace (if they find any beside a dead body)
#10 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

Well all I know the clearance rate for petty crimes like burglaries, mugging, vandalism, hit and runs, etc. is somewhere in the 10-20% range....

#11 Posted by flipin_jackass (9770 posts) -

there's a huge semen database with every criminal's semen, that's how they catch them.

needled24-7
But not all crimes involve semen....
#12 Posted by SUD123456 (4928 posts) -

Most of them get caught. Even with crimes having alow % clearance rate, most get caught. Perhaps not for every offence, but eventually they get the whammy. That is because most criminals quickly become habitual criminals. How many b & e or robbery losers get away with it for an entire career? Virtually none. It is only a matter of time and they can't help themselves because they are losers and losers need more money daily, weekly, monthly...sooner or later.

Most murders are between people who know each other. Relatively few are complete strangers. You can get away with any crime once if you really plan well. Getting away with it for a career? Not so much.

#13 Posted by awesomejdude (4811 posts) -

I wonder what percentage of jaywalkers get caught...:P

#14 Posted by clayron (10121 posts) -
I think the US conviction rate for murder is around 40%.
#15 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -

in my country, almost never

#16 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

Less that 50% of crimes are solved in New Zealand.

#17 Posted by IcyToasters (12476 posts) -

But not all crimes involve semen.... flipin_jackass

awesomejdude

Nearly 100%. They simply trace your semen back to you.

#18 Posted by flipin_jackass (9770 posts) -

[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]But not all crimes involve semen.... IcyToasters

awesomejdude

Okay, I'll make extra sure not to drip any next time I jaywalk. =P

#19 Posted by buldog300 (2152 posts) -
forensics are cool, but expensive and inefficient to employ, so unless the victim was either worth a lot or in a unique situation it's not likely I imagine that they'd employ it. As for the percent that gets caught, well I can only speculate that the number isn't large. The police can only do so much and only have so many resources on hand.
#20 Posted by IcyToasters (12476 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyToasters"]

[QUOTE="awesomejdude"]

flipin_jackass

Okay, I'll make extra sure not to drip any next time I jaywalk. =P

Easier said than done.
They'll find you! :o

#21 Posted by Palantas (15327 posts) -

What's this? A topic not about mixed martial arts? :P

I've wondered about this myself. Like, out of curiosity, not because I'm planning any crimes.

#22 Posted by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

You always hear of these breakthroughs, this murderer got caught after how many years thanks to modern day forensics. But those cases are far and few between. It should ideally make people think twice about committing crimes, put the fear into 'em. There's always the gamble that science is nowhere near CSI level and you're untouchable, or that there is no such thing as the "perfect crime" and they'll catch your every mistake.

I hear about somebody who gets killed or abducted and it's sickening because I know in a few years the trail's going to go cold, as they say, and somebody is going to get off scott free.