How much do you tip ?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2354 Posts

@LexLas:

@LexLas said:

So i was reading an article this morning about a food delivery person who went through a snow storm to deliver food, and the ass person tipped them $1.75, while insulting them by making jokes about the weather. He should have tipped her like $10 dollars at least. When its a rainy day, and its pouring outside, if i call a pizza guy, i already plan on giving them about a $8 dollar tip, just cause i feel bad about what they go through to get to me. If i get great service with a smile at a restaurant, Obviously me meal is large because i'm always with others, so i leave about a $15 dollar tip, on a $85 dollar meal or so. I dont' really know if thats fair, but thats just me. What about you all ?

Article link on storm strooper:

Why is the hourly rate in the US so bad for hospitality workers?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@plageus900 said:
@MrGeezer said:
@plageus900 said:

Depends on the service. If they do a great job, Ill tip up to 30 percent. If they are horrible, I don't tip anything. If you suck at your job, you don't deserve to be paid for it.

Actually, you do deserve to get paid. You also deserve to get fired. I mean, if I suck at my job, then by all means fire me, but don't dare try to cheat me out of two weeks pay.

Granted, that has nothing to do specifically with tipping, since tipped employees are guaranteed at least minimum wage. I'm just saying that, generally speaking, people DO deserve to get paid for work they did, even if that work sucked. You might not get paid as much if the work sucks, and you might get fired if the work sucks, you're still supposed to get paid for the work.

I'll have to disagree with you, but regardless of what you and I think, people will still get paid whether they do a good job or not.

So what job do you have? I'm curious, because I seriously doubt that most people would be cool with what you're suggesting.

Yeah, if I suck at my job then I totally deserve to be fired. But it's absolutely bullshit for my employer to keep me around for the entire week, and have me doing a week's worth of work, and to then stiff me out of my paycheck after he already got a week's worth of work out of me. That's just a way to get labor and not have to pay for it. Without labor laws specifically prohibiting that kind of thing, ANYONE could use that justification to cheap out on paying for labor. "Well, you were good enough for us to keep having you working for us the entire week, you just weren't good enough for us to actually pay you anything."

And I say **** that. The second you decide that the work I do isn't worth paying for, THAT'S when you fire me. That whole week that my hypothetical employers had me doing unpaid labor without telling me that I wouldn't get paid, is an entire week that I could have been LOOKING FOR A JOB instead of wasting my time doing work for someone who had no intention of paying me for it. Once you decide that someone's work isn't worth paying for, that's when you fire them. But that doesn't mean it's a-okay to stiff them out of pay for the PREVIOUS period of time during which you were still having them work for you.

Sennaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Sennaris
Member since 2003 • 77 Posts

10%-15% generally, if the service is really good though, I'll go to the 20%-25% mark occasionally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#54 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I guess it depends on who I'm tipping, and how good the service was. I usually tip pretty good for waitresses, bartenders and hairdressers. But at the same time, sometimes I have more extra money to throw around than others.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@plageus900 said:
@MrGeezer said:
@plageus900 said:

Depends on the service. If they do a great job, Ill tip up to 30 percent. If they are horrible, I don't tip anything. If you suck at your job, you don't deserve to be paid for it.

Actually, you do deserve to get paid. You also deserve to get fired. I mean, if I suck at my job, then by all means fire me, but don't dare try to cheat me out of two weeks pay.

Granted, that has nothing to do specifically with tipping, since tipped employees are guaranteed at least minimum wage. I'm just saying that, generally speaking, people DO deserve to get paid for work they did, even if that work sucked. You might not get paid as much if the work sucks, and you might get fired if the work sucks, you're still supposed to get paid for the work.

I'll have to disagree with you, but regardless of what you and I think, people will still get paid whether they do a good job or not.

So what job do you have? I'm curious, because I seriously doubt that most people would be cool with what you're suggesting.

Yeah, if I suck at my job then I totally deserve to be fired. But it's absolutely bullshit for my employer to keep me around for the entire week, and have me doing a week's worth of work, and to then stiff me out of my paycheck after he already got a week's worth of work out of me. That's just a way to get labor and not have to pay for it. Without labor laws specifically prohibiting that kind of thing, ANYONE could use that justification to cheap out on paying for labor. "Well, you were good enough for us to keep having you working for us the entire week, you just weren't good enough for us to actually pay you anything."

And I say **** that. The second you decide that the work I do isn't worth paying for, THAT'S when you fire me. That whole week that my hypothetical employers had me doing unpaid labor without telling me that I wouldn't get paid, is an entire week that I could have been LOOKING FOR A JOB instead of wasting my time doing work for someone who had no intention of paying me for it. Once you decide that someone's work isn't worth paying for, that's when you fire them. But that doesn't mean it's a-okay to stiff them out of pay for the PREVIOUS period of time during which you were still having them work for you.

I work for Intel.

This company would stand to lose a lot if you couldn't complete projects on time, perform your job correctly, etc., which is why 99 percent of the employees here know what the **** they're doing and the ones and twos that don't are thrown out the door.

Simpletons that manage to **** up their orders time and time again at their fast-food jobs and still hang on to employment make me sick. If you cant handle a simple burger order or make my coffee correctly, god forbid you be allowed to handle any real responsibility.

So I guess you and I are saying the same thing but in different ways. Cant do your job? Fired on the spot, enjoy your lack of income.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

>2016
>still tipping

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

Tipping is a bad price/payment scheme and it's unfortunate that it's a thing here. That said, I tip 20%.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

@THUMPTABLE said:

@LexLas:

@LexLas said:

So i was reading an article this morning about a food delivery person who went through a snow storm to deliver food, and the ass person tipped them $1.75, while insulting them by making jokes about the weather. He should have tipped her like $10 dollars at least. When its a rainy day, and its pouring outside, if i call a pizza guy, i already plan on giving them about a $8 dollar tip, just cause i feel bad about what they go through to get to me. If i get great service with a smile at a restaurant, Obviously me meal is large because i'm always with others, so i leave about a $15 dollar tip, on a $85 dollar meal or so. I dont' really know if thats fair, but thats just me. What about you all ?

Article link on storm strooper:

Why is the hourly rate in the US so bad for hospitality workers?

Because of tips lol.

Also many are part-time workers, and you generally do not pay part-timers well.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@plageus900 said:

I work for Intel.

This company would stand to lose a lot if you couldn't complete projects on time, perform your job correctly, etc., which is why 99 percent of the employees here know what the **** they're doing and the ones and twos that don't are thrown out the door.

Simpletons that manage to **** up their orders time and time again at their fast-food jobs and still hang on to employment make me sick. If you cant handle a simple burger order or make my coffee correctly, god forbid you be allowed to handle any real responsibility.

So I guess you and I are saying the same thing but in different ways. Cant do your job? Fired on the spot, enjoy your lack of income.

Exactly. If you can't do your job then you deserve to get fired. But that doesn't mean you keep the dude on for a week and then retroactively decide that he's not worth paying after you already had him working for you the entire week.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@plageus900 said:

I work for Intel.

Exactly. If you can't do your job then you deserve to get fired. But that doesn't mean you keep the dude on for a week and then retroactively decide that he's not worth paying after you already had him working for you the entire week.

Fair enough :)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I live in Australia, I'm not expected to tip. Hate on me.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Generally 20% rounded up to the next dollar. If service is just ok then 15%. If service sucks, then usually 0-10% depending on how much it sucks.

If it's a buffet and all you are doing is bringing me drinks then usually 10%.