How much do you tip ?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

So i was reading an article this morning about a food delivery person who went through a snow storm to deliver food, and the ass person tipped them $1.75, while insulting them by making jokes about the weather. He should have tipped her like $10 dollars at least. When its a rainy day, and its pouring outside, if i call a pizza guy, i already plan on giving them about a $8 dollar tip, just cause i feel bad about what they go through to get to me. If i get great service with a smile at a restaurant, Obviously me meal is large because i'm always with others, so i leave about a $15 dollar tip, on a $85 dollar meal or so. I dont' really know if thats fair, but thats just me. What about you all ?

Article link on storm strooper:

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

i used to work as a delivery driver for pizza hut while i was in college. on rainy days i would purposely walk slower up to the customer's door, shake water out of a low tree branch onto myself, etc.. to be wetter when the customer opened the door. you get better tips if the customer feels bad about you being out in the cold rain :P

but i will tip a driver well because i know it's a shitty job

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

i used to work as a delivery driver for pizza hut while i was in college. on rainy days i would purposely walk slower up to the customer's door, shake water out of a low tree branch onto myself, etc.. to be wetter when the customer opened the door. you get better tips if the customer feels bad about you being out in the cold rain :P

Ha, dang you a hustler. I would have felt bad, and gave you a 8 dollar tip for my pizza. Good one, lol ..

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

Why would you tip because "it's a shitty job"? He chose to do that job. And there's tons of other "shitty job" that doesn't pay well and don't depend on tip

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@comp_atkins said:

Why would you tip because "it's a shitty job"? He chose to do that job. And there's tons of other "shitty job" that doesn't pay well and don't depend on tip

i'm not saying i tip well if the do a shitty job, just that the job itself is shitty. like mikej above said, i can relate to them as i've been in the same position.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Good thing about living in Europe, I'm not obliged to tip cause waiters and waitresses have a fixed hourly salary.

I do however tip if the waiter/waitress is very nice and helpful.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

At least a couplea bucks but ive been known to tip anywhere from 3-20 dollars.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

15% always, I might order from them again so I try not to be cheap.... don't mess with people who make your food

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

15% to 20% depending on service. If the service is subpar or if the order isn't much (like a soda and a snack), I will leave a small or no tip at all.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Typical restaurant with full service: 20-25% unless the server is seriously rude or there's some other problem that's demonstrably the server's fault. If the service is really bad then I'll tip 5 to 10% although I can count the number of times I've done that in my life on one hand. I have never stiffed a server no matter how bad the service.

For delivery, $4-$6 is my usual depending on the price of the order. I tend to go higher when the weather is shitty out.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

12% to 15% usually. Maybe more if the waitress is attractive.

Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts

18% to 20%. Big emphasis on service. Smaller emphasis on looks. If it's a guy, service only. And just to be clear I never detract for looks. Only use that aspect as a bonus. And not all the time. Just if I'm in a really good mood for whatever reason....

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

I don't tip.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4204 Posts

When I get my haircut if I like the haircut, then 15%. Otherwise 10%.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

LOL tipping. I don't tip. They are already being paid.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Depends on the service. If they do a great job, Ill tip up to 30 percent. If they are horrible, I don't tip anything. If you suck at your job, you don't deserve to be paid for it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@plageus900 said:

Depends on the service. If they do a great job, Ill tip up to 30 percent. If they are horrible, I don't tip anything. If you suck at your job, you don't deserve to be paid for it.

Actually, you do deserve to get paid. You also deserve to get fired. I mean, if I suck at my job, then by all means fire me, but don't dare try to cheat me out of two weeks pay.

Granted, that has nothing to do specifically with tipping, since tipped employees are guaranteed at least minimum wage. I'm just saying that, generally speaking, people DO deserve to get paid for work they did, even if that work sucked. You might not get paid as much if the work sucks, and you might get fired if the work sucks, you're still supposed to get paid for the work.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I tip 33% on my haircut.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2382 Posts

20% for good service 10% for mediocre and nothing for poor service.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't tip

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I tip 0. They do their job. They get paid.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

15 - 20% is good, but if the waitress is attractive and flirts back with me a bit I may give her anywhere from 20 - 40%.

Guys are usually stuck with 15 - 20%, but no less.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

I hate tipping. I like the way they do it in Australia.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

We have a joint account so I let the misses do it lol. She usually tips the usual amount, whatever that is. But when I'm by myself I usually just give $5 to $7 bucks no matter how cheap my meal was.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@LexLas: I give twenty percent for a tip, usually.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

15% for sub-par service, 30% for outstanding. Typically in the 20 - 25% range.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

Well it depends on the service but I generally tip between 15% and 20%.

omotih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 omotih
Member since 2015 • 1556 Posts

if you have a job that depends on tip ... you failed, badly

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Treflis said:

Good thing about living in Europe, I'm not obliged to tip cause waiters and waitresses have a fixed hourly salary.

I do however tip if the waiter/waitress is very nice and helpful.

Yeah, i wonder why only we have this?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
  • Less than 15% for less-than-adequate service
  • 15% for adequate service
  • 20% and up for greater than adequate service
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Depends on what Im tipping for. I tip 20% in restaraunts, but I dont tip the delivery guy 20%,

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38  Edited By Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

@LexLas: depends on the service.

Just lastnight we had a horrible waitress. She forgot our appetizer & never showed up at all. Some other waiter brought our food & I told him the appetizer I ordered better not be on the bill. Then she comes and apologizes & vanishes again. Didn't return to ask if our food was ok, if we wanted more drinks. When she finally returned I said get us the bill.

She got a big zero for tip.

3 weeks ago at the same restaurant with different waitress who was great. She got everything right, would walk by and ask if I needed a drink, check on our food & she got a 20% tip.

Also... I don't tip Tim Hortons or Starbucks (coffee) people. They're pouring a f--king liquid into a cup. You don't tip people at say, Mcdonalds or Subway do you ? Why do they feel like they need a tip for pouring hot liquid into a cup.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58257 Posts

Having worked in food service for over 15 years, I tip pretty well unless the service is terrible; it's tough work, and those people put a smile on their face for perfect strangers no matter how bad they might feel, what shit they might be going through. I do about 20% most of the time, and always at least double the tax.

Unless I am drinking; then I generally just tip a dollar per drink (which is still 20% usually, unless its a pricey drink).

@Skarwolf said:

Also... I don't tip Tim Hortons or Starbucks (coffee) people. They're pouring a f--king liquid into a cup. You don't tip people at say, Mcdonalds or Subway do you ? Why do they feel like they need a tip for pouring hot liquid into a cup.

Same; if they spend less than 5 minutes on me, I don't tip. Unless it's a place I frequent like once a week, and it's a mom and pop place I like; they'll remember you if you tip and are polite. I've forgotten my wallet here and there, and the places you know and they know you will be like "Just get us next time". I showed up again, paid them back...I like to think they did that for me because they're good people, but it might have been just because they knew I tipped them for a sandwich.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58257 Posts

@omotih said:

Not necessarily. These jobs exist for people that haven't found a career yet; are looking for work with flexible or few hours, but decent pay; and other such characteristics.

At more serious establishments (fine dining), they even like to employ more professional, career-focused servers and give them a salary and even decent benefits, but they still rely on that extra cash to make the job worthwhile. I've met quite a few people that were servers, and were able to retire early because of good tips through good service, and good investments.

Tip-based jobs are just another form of being paid based off of comission: you sell a lot of tires, you get paid for your extra effort (but you still get an average salary); you make an extra effort and improve a person's dining experience, you get paid for your extra effort. Seems fair to me, and if you are proud of your work, your restaurant, your coworkers and chefs, and take pride in it, you can generally rely on consistent tips.

This is specifically why I am against these pay increases and "no tip" policies for food service professionals; it is going to increase the cost of food, and also take money away from deserving servers (and put it into less-deserving hands). When I was a cook, servers would share 20% of their tips with us. The nice, fun, hard-working folks would hand me over 50 dollars a night, sometimes up to 100. The cranky lazy ones would usually give me 5-10 bucks.

Tipping is very fair, very direct reward and income. It was very rare a server, even the bad ones, would complain about being stiffed.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Depends on which country we're talking about here... in the USA tip culture is pretty messed up. For some reason waiters can legally be paid less than minimum wage, and rely on tips to make a living. I go by the standards, the 15-25% or so

TipsyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TipsyWizard
Member since 2016 • 34 Posts
@omotih said:

Sadly, in many areas that is all that is available to many people. I live in a small town and I know for many people, restaurant work is the only thing they can find without moving to a larger area.

If the service is good, I always tip at least 20%. I know several people who do work in restaurants and their work can be thankless.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

We don't tip here and if we do it's usually just spare change in the jar at the till when I pay for my meal.

omotih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 omotih

@tipsywizard said:
@omotih said:

I live in a small town ...

this could explain a number of things .. ;-)

no, I just hate the thought that the Restaurant relys on me to pay their staff properly, and if I dont do so I get the stuff up against me ... see that, thats just playing workers against customers ...

and, in europe you get a lot of tip, but it depends on your personality, you are responebile for how much you get or nothing at all ... not like in the us, were everyone avoids personal responsebility ... I dont have to be kind, I get my 20% tip, its law !

I worked in Catering shortly after my time in teh army, and usaly tehre was given a big amount of tip to the head of our Team that was ment to be shared equally ... haha good joke ...

cmdr_danbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cmdr_danbo
Member since 2015 • 572 Posts

@omotih: maybe in catering you got it because most people do charge a tip for large parties but I don't think it's law here.

cmdr_danbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cmdr_danbo
Member since 2015 • 572 Posts

I usually start at 5 bucks no matter what. That's enough to get them minimal wage for that hour. Hardly will give more because it's really not my problem that you chose that type of work.

TipsyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TipsyWizard
Member since 2016 • 34 Posts
@omotih said:
@tipsywizard said:
@omotih said:

I live in a small town ...

no, I just hate the thought that the Restaurant relys on me to pay their staff properly

I agree with you. Customers 'shouldn't' have to be responsible for making sure that the server that is bringing you a meal makes at least minimum wage. However, it is a sad reality. I actually spoke with one of my friends today about this very thing, and she told me that the restaurant only pays her $2.15 an hour, so her tips are everything. $2.15 an hour is absolutely not enough to survive on, which is why many of these servers also have second jobs, even if it is another restaurant. This is why I tip well, if I receive good service.

omotih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By omotih

we have minimum wage in germany ... but it only means labor unions are much to powerfull ^^

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@plageus900 said:

Actually, you do deserve to get paid. You also deserve to get fired. I mean, if I suck at my job, then by all means fire me, but don't dare try to cheat me out of two weeks pay.

Granted, that has nothing to do specifically with tipping, since tipped employees are guaranteed at least minimum wage. I'm just saying that, generally speaking, people DO deserve to get paid for work they did, even if that work sucked. You might not get paid as much if the work sucks, and you might get fired if the work sucks, you're still supposed to get paid for the work.

I'll have to disagree with you, but regardless of what you and I think, people will still get paid whether they do a good job or not.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24939 Posts

$3 at a restaurant.