How much cash would it take for you to quit your job?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3109 Posts

I live in an affluent area and I used to think that t would take $1.5 million minimum for me to quit and retire.

But now I despise corporate America so much and can no longer stand the greedy old fat bald white men who control everything that my number has now lowered to $500,000.

That's not asking too much is it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Are you talking about how much cash you would need to save up or how much to be bought out? I still have no idea what i need to save to retire. Maybe you could move to a different area and work for some old fat bald asian men?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

None. I like my job. Even if I won the lottery and cashed in on $250 million, I'd still keep working. What I do for a living is who I am.

TC, good luck making $500k last for the rest of your life.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

$500,000 isn't asking much at all.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

I love and enjoy my job and take a lot of pride in it, but I will admit I have my price solely because I have the ambition of owning my own place someday. So that is my price; the amount of money it would take to more or less...

-buy a home

-buy a business space

-buy the equipment I need to produce product

-enough money to run the business (pay staff, run equipment, raw materials, bills, etc) for three years

-and a few other things, maybe enough money for a really nice vacation once a year.

-oh and money for insurance, since I'll be self-employed :P

I would eventually hope/plan on supporting myself, but I would also prefer to do this really easily without having to take out loans, ask friends/family for money, and generally stress out over it so yeah...if someone came up to me and was like "Hey, I will give you _______________ dollars--which just so happens to be the amount you need to do all that stuff--to quit your job, pack up, and leave town" I would totally do it.

@plageus900 said:

TC, good luck making $500k last for the rest of your life.

I live off 30k a year. Less, actually, when you get down to it.

granted, it would not last me a lifetime at my current rate, but I imagine with some moderately smart investing and another job it would allow me to retire at 45 (I'm 33 right now). Which is really, really, really fucking nice considering I'm going to have to work to 65 and probably won't even own a home.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

depends where you live. If you have $500k, you can move somewhere like a 2nd world country, invest/start a business, buy a home and live out your life like a boss. I agree with your sentiment though...fuk the rich old white bastards

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

I could probably make a million bucks last a life time If I lived a very minimalistic frugal life, maybe only spend money on investments, and maybe entertainment that can be sold again down the line, like videogames.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Nothing. I love my job and would never quit. Even if I had all the money in the world, I'd still want to do my job.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Give me $5000 and I'd happily quit. To look for another job of course. Unless we're talking about retiring. Then I'm sure I can make $5 million last a lifetime...