How many people in your family have gotten covid?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

First off I want to say I don't wish covid upon anyone. I'm just curious how many of you had stubborn family members that refused to get vaccinated because of social media influencing people to not get vaccinated. Some people are doing it for political reasons to fight for their freedom, rather than just getting it and still practicing their freedoms in some other way.

I personally got vaccinated the moment I was able to and I never wished a mandate for anyone. I did it for personal reasons because I don't like becoming sick and I had no idea what the long term effects of the virus would be. I was more confident that the vaccine would have acute effects rather than long term. Considering my age and health, I had no fear in taking the vaccine.

So far out of all of my siblings, 3 out of 5 have gotten covid. Not to anyone's surprise, but the 3 with covid were never vaccinated and the 2 that were vaccinated never got covid. My mom also got covid too and she got it really bad and could have died from it. Now my last sibling, my sister and her partner got covid and her partner is in a really, really bad condition right now and may have to be admitted to the hospital.

No matter how how many times I've told them and educated them about the virus (I have a STEM background with sufficient knowledge in bio and chem to understand the mechanism and the human body), nobody cared to listen. What they saw on the internet held more value than what I had to say. It really saddens me that I have to see my family ignorantly refuse the vaccine and take the risk of getting covid. My sister the other day literally told me her immune system was good and that she never gets sick and that she would treat it like the flu, but you know how this will end. The virus is a novel virus with unique characteristics. Don't care how good your immune system is, your body will never recognize it and your symptoms will be different from the flu. Now she and her partner, including her kids, are all sick and are unable to take care of themselves. It's a tough situation and it's frustrating seeing them still downplay it even while sick.

Sort of reminds me of this...

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2407 Posts

I only know my mother and two brothers. Everyone else is estranged from me. Haven't seen them since I was a small kid or never met them. So, in my very small immediate family, none of them. Two of us are vaccinated. My mother isn't and I don't know about the other one. She thinks the overworked hospitals are fake news and that the vaccines have too many unknown side effects. But she might be coming around. Strange that she didn't reject any of the other vaccines required for herself and her children in the past.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

My oldest Sister, one of my Uncles, and Cousin had Covid-19 when all wanted together family party & few just wanted to go party full of fools who don't want to wear masks ended up with Covid and they did recover but my oldest Sis barely made it. Thank you, Jesus!

And I doubt they'll learn their lesson after this and so far, none don't want to get the vaccine but at least my mother and youngest Sister got vaccinated and including myself. I work in a hospital and so far, haven't gotten Covid so far and I play it safe doing whatever it takes to keep myself safe and the people around me.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

I got it early 2020. Luckily it wasn't too bad. First few days were pretty rough with the shortness of breath, particularly in the morning. Worst of all was the dehydration. I went through a case of water in three days, felt like it was going right through me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I got it back in July '21 or thereabouts.

Wasn't too bad. I know many are not as lucky as me in their experience.

I was vaccinated btw, probably why I was OK.

As for my family, no immediate members thankfully. My cousins all got it, though, for some reason. Again, they're fine, they were vaccinated, so it wasn't that bad.

@vl4d_l3nin said:

I got it early 2020. Luckily it wasn't too bad. First few days were pretty rough with the shortness of breath, particularly in the morning. Worst of all was the dehydration. I went through a case of water in three days, felt like it was going right through me.

Yeah, same. Suuuuuuuper thirsty.

Got a sore throat which is when I was like "Hmmm better get tested".

Sore throat for two days.

Head cold for three.

No taste or smell for 10 days after that. Honestly that was probably the worst part. That, and quarantining because one of my roommates is an anti-vaxxer and I didn't want to get him sick.

I got to miss work for 10 days and got paid for it, so that wasn't too shabby.

All in all it was a mild flu for five days (not including the sensory part that lasted longer).

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

So far, no one fortunately. None of them are vaccinated though so I do sometimes worry that they might get it and have a rough time.

As for the vaccine itself, I kind of understand some of the hesitancy. The vaccine is definitely not as effective as we would like it to be, and the fact that we're apparently already seeing waning immunity is unacceptable in my book. Doing your own research on the vaccines can also backfire as all of these various studies that all yield different results can be very confusing, and all these percentages that we see probably mean little to nothing in the real world.

Still, I think getting vaccinated is your best line of defense if you were to get covid. I got the J&J, but I'm still unsure if I actually have adequate protection or not.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Uncle and aunt in US got it. Going by extended family I know a few more got it due to their kids bringing it home.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

None actually. Everyone is vaccinated and wear masks though.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No one yet. I have a large family, both my mom and dad's side. Lucky so far.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Only my cousin. He was vaccinated so the symptoms were very light. His unvaccinated friend though had it rough. The only person in my family who hasn't had the vaccine is my brother and as far as we know he hasn't gotten covid yet.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#12 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

No one in my immediate family. Seems the rather extreme measures we're taking are working. We pretty much effectively live alone in separate houses right now, seeing each other for maybe a couple of hours a day tops. Plus, everyone coming into our house have to wear masks.

Got my first AstraZeneca jab back in September, and I'm due for the second does next month. Dunno about my family's vaccination status, and don't really care to ask. They are most definitely not anti-vax, so I trust them.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

None. I have family in the U.K., the US, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Thailand, South Korea and China.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Nope despite my 2 year old getting it.

Dont think its as contagious as they make out

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8198 Posts

2 my cousin and uncle, 1 vaccinated and one unvaccinated. Both were asymptomatic, they only got tested because someone they were hanging out with got it.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

None, because it is not as dangerous as our governments and media portrays it to be.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58925 Posts

Our lockdown was quite thorough.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

My two brothers got COVID-19 almost a year ago. One of them has a wife and two daughters who also got COVID, but thankfully they all recovered about a week or two before Thanksgiving Day. That was pretty rough, it seems.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Maroxad said:

None actually. Everyone is vaccinated and wear masks though.

No one living in a big city?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

0, thus far. Hope it stays that way.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

had a nephew get covid ( unvaccinated) the day before him and his family were supposed to take a cruise. they had to cancel / postpone because of it.

i think they're all vaccinated now that it is available for older kids.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

None thankfully. My mother's partner, his daughter got a false positive because her older sister contracted COVID, but that's about it. Nobody in my immediate family.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nirgal  Online
Member since 2019 • 677 Posts

My little brother and me. Thankfully my brother got it very light, i had to be hospitalised but had no sequels.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Only my sister that I know of...

I've contracted twice, myself. Had it nearly two years ago when it wasn't being taken serious and again a couple months ago. First time was barely anything to write home about. Fatigue was the only real issue but after 1 full day of sleep, I was back to normal.

I'll admit that the second time I got it was much rougher though. The main issue was my throat begin swelling/closing up, making it painful to eat and sometimes breath. Then at the tail in of it, my sinuses was killing me. But I toughed it out with some help of green tea and vitamin C powder. Took 3 days to fully get over it. And honestly, it still wasn't that bad compared to some of the flu's I've dealt with growing up.

I've been vaccinated since. Honestly, after all the talk of side effects, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop as I haven't experienced any yet....

Dead2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dead2009
Member since 2021 • 32 Posts

An uncle that's like 4 links down the line in my family got it but other than that, nobody has really been that sick.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#27 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

None (that I know of). everyone in my family got vaccinated as soon as they were eligible

it was handled relatively well in my part of the world

Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
Rioichi21Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Rioichi21Cooper
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

About two, but they were both young and just had flu symptoms, nothing too serious.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#29 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

I got it before I had my two jabs and it hit hard. Also my brother got it after having his 2 jabs.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#30 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I’ve gotten Covid last Christmas and it felt like a minor flu,supposedly I got a touch of it, nothing severe. I’m not planning to get the vaccine. I have my reasons,let’s leave it at that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Had a sibling that got it last year. Vaxxed now.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

None. We've followed the easy to follow precautions to prevent it.

Armos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Armos
Member since 2020 • 47 Posts

So far out of my family, one of my uncles got it and died, while his wife, my aunt, survived it. The issue is that a lot of (if not all) my dad & mom's side of the family are anti-vaxxers deep in the Trumpism/QAnon shit. (same thing, honestly..) Also Mormon and conservative which led them to that, most likely. (also only watching Fox News for years... only to descend to NewsMax & NaturalNews and other crackpot websites/channels)

Basically, they're anti-vax because they believe everything the crazies tell 'em. They believe the vaccines have microchips, or will get you severely sick and die. They believe that hospitals are full of sick vaccinated people and somehow not UN-vaccinated people who have gotten sick with no protection from Covid-19. I know they still understand the risks and how dangerous it is, as they wear masks when they go out. Unfortunately, just some crappy cloth dust masks you can find online, nothing with a filter or the like. They'll catch if they actually end up running into somebody with Covid-19, and then spread it to everyone else in their homes. (my parents especially)

All in all I fear for their safety. As dumb as they are for following misinformation, lies, and conspiracies, I still love them all as they are my family. Just wish there was a way I could help them out of it. In this case, misinformation truly kills, and I know my aunt is probably regretting not getting herself and her husband vaccinated. I'm not even sure she is yet, considering their "views" being much like my own parents.

I hate to bring any political talk into this post or the topic in general, but the far-right conspiracies are in fact the cause of my immediate family as well as cousins' families being unvaccinated, resulting in my uncle's death. (Intubated, did not survive)

Fortunately most of my family stays away from other people in general since Covid-19 started. That helps them stay healthy, at least. Can't get them to get the jab(s) though, even to save their lives.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

sis had it. she's a teacher. mum is in her 60s and took all the precautions but still caught it. she was double jabbed when she did and only had mild symptoms thankfully

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Mom mom's brother, sister-in-law and their youngest kid who lives next door to them, they got it from one of my cousin's co-workers because they're all anti-masking anti-vaxxing anti-social distancing, and this stuff is fake and an international plot to ruin Trump and all that crazy talk. My mom sometimes cries after talking to her brother for the crazy shit he says. Nobody died thankfully.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Me once, last November, before I even had my first vaccine. Had two since then and in my experience the vaccine is super effective. Always walking through a packed regent street in London, I feel well every time.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

13 of us got it last Halloween.

no I will never get vaccinated. I have antibodies now to fight it.

I barley felt it. lost my taste and smell for a month that is it.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

myself,mother and 1 sister. got it.

then friends 3 of them.

one thought it was fake and died from it.(he was super high risk.