How long does it take to get really good at guitar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deathtarget04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 deathtarget04
Member since 2009 • 2266 Posts

Hey OT.

I've been "playing" guitar for almost 2 years. I use the term "playing" loosely because I rarely ever pick up my guitar because of work. I have guitar lessons once a week but other than that I might practice 15-20 minutes every other day.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to knuckle down and start an hour a day and hopefully more because I stopped lessons for the month of August. Other than work I'm distracted easily and hang out with friends or play videogames than practice which saddens me.

Being good at guitar varies from person to person but lets say I want to play roughly as good as Jimmy Page, how long would I have to play for? Are there any people who are pretty good at guitar that can help me?

fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

personally i didn't get better at guitar until i just started playing for hours because i like too i never set a time limit to play each day. so pretty much it depends on the person i know someone who was able to play any van halen songs within 6 months like they were nothing

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Depends man...if you really get in it, will still take you a couple of months, or even years to be really really really good at it.
jakerinobino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jakerinobino
Member since 2010 • 119 Posts

I've been playing for about 4 years, and I still wouldnt reallly consider myself "really" good

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
The people I know who excel at the guitar have had the tendency to play hours a day for years. The more you play, the better you'll get especially if you have someone to guide you along the way. Some people learn fast, some slow. As for me, I have an electric guitar and my lack of practice expresses itself in not being very good. However, I picked up a mandolin just this week and hope to be more diligent with my learning of this instrument. I do not expect to be playing in public eye for quite some time. *rubs his sore finger tips*
deathtarget04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deathtarget04

Depends man...if you really get in it, will still take you a couple of months, or even years to be really really really good at it.Bloodseeker23

Yeah I know.

I'm still young enough to keep at it and when I feel comfortable to play infront of people I'll form a band.

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts
Sorry mate, but getting really good will take you all your life, and that is if you practice everyday.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

It really depends on the person, some people will just naturally learn faster but if you want to get really good you have to practice for at the very least an hour or two a day and it takes a long time of doing that before you get super good but it really just depends on the person. I have a friend who is pretty damn good but it has taken him years just to get to where he is

deathtarget04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deathtarget04

Sorry mate, but getting really good will take you all your life, and that is if you practice everyday.luisen123

I'm sure it wont take that long. But my guitar teacher is VERY good. He plays "Eruption" flawlessly and rips solo's like no other.

Plus one lesson I showed him a song and he hadn't heard it before, and he instantly nailed it. The guitar solo too. Granted hes about 50 though and has been oplaying since th 70's.. but even if I had half of his skill I'd be content.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
Yngwie Malmsteen good? a life time
luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts
I'm sure it wont take that long. But my guitar teacher is VERY good. He plays "Eruption" flawlessly and rips solo's like no other.Plus one lesson I showed him a song and he hadn't heard it before, and he instantly nailed it. The guitar solo too. Granted hes about 50 though and has been oplaying since th 70's.. but even if I had half of his skill I'd be content.deathtarget04
That's what I meant, he's been playing all his life, if you want to get good just practice everyday, don't think about how long it will take you.
letlive4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 letlive4
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
I've been playing guitar for about 5 and half years, and I'm almost 16. I'd consider myself quite good, and it's my dream to make it in music. I didn't really consider myself "good" until after 3 years. I practice anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours a day, it varies each day.
DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DumbPanda
Member since 2011 • 379 Posts

You need to practice like 30 mins + each day. If you do that then you'll get 'really good' pretty soon.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Depends on your definition. I have been playing for about six years.

I was never able to play all those super fast licks, but I know music, can pick out the key of a song and improvise over it, I know major and minor scales, and am experienced in multiple styles. Fast playing is only good in short bursts and if it is overused it just sucks. I can play decently fast when I need to. Basically, I know plently to be in any good modern rock band. I am also good in priase and worship (but anyone can be good at that).

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Depends on your definition. I have been playing for about six years.

I was never able to play all those super fast licks, but I know music, can pick out the key of a song and improvise over it, I know major and minor scales, and am experienced in multiple styles. Fast playing is only good in short bursts and if it is overused it just sucks. I can play decently fast when I need to. Basically, I know plently to be in any good modern rock band. I am also good in priase and worship (but anyone can be good at that).

J-man45
Same here. I do occasionally watch instructional videos of Paul Gilbert, and John Petrucci, wishing I could play like them. But when actually playing, I personally get more out of playing Hendrix, Beatles, and other similar bands.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Well I've only been playing Rock Band for like a month, and I can already complete Free Bird on expert, so I would say not long at all.
Bros89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bros89
Member since 2004 • 624 Posts

It took me 4 years of 2 - 4 hours practicing a day (A DAY!) to become really good at guitar.

I play (black, doom & death) metal and jazz so thats pretty technical, if you want to become a singer songwriter i guess it will take less time.

I think it will take a lifetime to master the complete instrument from top to bottom.

Besides practicing every day, you will also need to know how to practice in a constructive way (perfect practicing!), learning fast guitar is to start very slowly (20 Bpm) so you can control your movements in a conscious way, after a month of this slow picking your brain will have learned the correct picking movements (very small movements) and you can up the speed very slowly.
We call this "economy of motion" => playing fast is not a skill but a byproduct of extremely good technique and economical movements, if you do not learn these concepts you will fail as a (fast) guitarist (or any other instrument i guess.
NO TENSION at all!!! or else you will injure yourself in the long run.

after 2 years you will be extremely clean and fast, and you can learn advanced lead guitar techniques.

Yes learning guitar to become a good musician is really that intensive.

foodonfloor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foodonfloor
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
It depends how much you practice. I don't play guitar, I play the drums and have been playing for close to four years and it really takes a good bit of practice but its worth it when you get really good.