How late is too late in life?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

Ok, the topic may seem kinda fuzzy. I am on the wrong side of my twenties and now, after completing MBA and working with a company.

I am not dissatisfied or feeling stuck, but sometimes (especially at weekends) , I get a feeling that a special skill would have been handy. I always had a passion for playing the guitar but now I am kinda embarrassed to sign up for guitar lessons as I feel that the prime period for learning is well behind me.

Even some of my friends ridicule this idea of taking guitar lessons and they say am too old for that but I feel it is worth giving a shot!

Is is true that at a mature age the acumen for learning diminishes? Do you of you guys have ever given a shot at learning something similar/performing arts at a mature age?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

It's never too late to do what you want.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

As long as you're physically able, its never late, never.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli

@Serioussamik said:

Is is true that at a mature age the acumen for learning diminishes? Do you of you guys have ever given a shot at learning something similar/performing arts at a mature age?

My parents always told me this as I was growing up as an attempt to make me apply myself to the fullest. I'm 25, bordering 26, and I've come to believe its somewhat true. Its not that you get dumber or anything, but as an adult, your mind is congested with all these memories, feelings, responsibilities, worries, things to keep track off...etc that it gets somehow harder to pick some new thing up like the guitar or a new language. On the other hand, you will find that with age comes much needed wisdom and consciousness of your own world and if you have been living your past life with the objective of learning and growing as an integral part of your existence, then you will realize that your higher faculties have never been of their current caliber as an adult which is something worthy of celebration and should give you the momentum you need to master this or that skill.

So the bottom line is, it becomes harder to get yourself to commit to something, but once you're past that you'll find that you're more potent than ever not the other way around.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

If you always listen to your dumb friends, you won't get far.

I'm *trying* to learn Italian on my own, I'd be the only person that I know of in my still-living Italian half of the family that spoke it. I did French throughout school, until 8th grade, so I'm picking up some similarities but it's still not easy.

Take the guitar lessons. You'll regret it if you never try.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

It's never too late to do what you want.

I agree with u I'm 42 and I'm thinking of going back to the gym u can never say its to late to do something lol.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

If you want to do it, do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Do it; I'm 29, moved to the Netherlands so I need to learn the language, always wanted to learn to play an instrument and I've always loved photography but never got myself to invest in a good camera. Now I'm learning Dutch (also know a 65 year old guy who just moved to the NL and is learning as well!), learning an instrument and I bought myself a camera so I'm learning photography as well. Also, I was a programmer for 10 years and at 26 I changed careers to physical therapy...If you really want it, age doesn't matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I've almost 27 and I feel its too late for me :(

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

72 years old, practically every muscle ceased working, medically advised he should have died in his mid 20's.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

This

@XilePrincess said:

If you always listen to your dumb friends, you won't get far.

And this

@XilePrincess said:

You'll regret it if you never try.

Both sentences are coming from the same comment same dude but I separated them for emphasis.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serioussamik

Thanks a ton for your inspirational posts, people!

Returned couple of hours hour back with a spanking new guitar and all set to take the plunge! :)

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

good for you. good luck!

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

Returned couple of hours hour back with a spanking new guitar and all set to take the plunge! :)

Buy Rocksmith 2014 ed first before you take lessons. Give that a month or two then sign up. I've never actually used Rocksmith, but it seems a good place to start. Buy a book and concentrate on proper hand technique. I have permanent trigger finger from bad fretting hand technique.

EDIT: this is coming from someone that used to play bass for almost a decade and dabbled in guitar. Learn major and minor notes/chords and go from there.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Growth and change is part of a mentally and psychologically healthy life.

Skyz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Skyz_
Member since 2014 • 56 Posts

Have to agree with most, it's never to late! Life would be pretty dull if we weren't constantly learning :)

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts

@GazaAli said:

that it gets somehow harder to pick some new thing up like the guitar or a new language.

It depends, I think. Playing guitar (instrumentalist) is different than writing music (musician). Not all people can write original music, but playing guitar (or any other instrument) is all muscle memory. Repetition. Practice.

If you can type, you can play guitar with some practice. It's the same principle: think it and your fingers know what to do because they've done it a million times already.

That's why practicing scales is so important: it gets your fingers trained.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

It's too late when you're dead. That's about it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

For guitar lessons? That's what you are embarrassed about? Really?

Go for it. You aren't dead yet, so it's never too late. Unless you are physically unable to do it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli

@br0kenrabbit said:

@GazaAli said:

that it gets somehow harder to pick some new thing up like the guitar or a new language.

It depends, I think. Playing guitar (instrumentalist) is different than writing music (musician). Not all people can write original music, but playing guitar (or any other instrument) is all muscle memory. Repetition. Practice.

If you can type, you can play guitar with some practice. It's the same principle: think it and your fingers know what to do because they've done it a million times already.

That's why practicing scales is so important: it gets your fingers trained.

Well I was talking more about the psychological or cognitive component of the act of committing oneself to something new and how it relates to growing older. But yea I definitely agree there's no stopping (is the expression correct here?) any physically able individual of doing anything should he feel like it.

I wish I will get the chance to learn how to play the synthesizer one day, and may be the guitar too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#23 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

Good for you! Go rock'em!

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

I've never forgotten a sermon my minister once told when I was in my teens. He said that he had gone to a birthday party for a 92 year old man. While they were cutting the cake he asked the man (John) if he had any regrets.

John thought for a while and replied, "I've always regretted that I never learned how to play the piano."

The minster said, "well why don't you buy a piano and take some lessons?"

John laughed "I'm too old."

To which the minister replied, "yes but NEXT year you will be 93 - with NO regrets."

This has always stuck with me and when I'm hesitant to try new things I just remind myself "next year you'll be __ - with no regrets."

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@Serioussamik:

Don't let your Parents / partner control your life ..

go backpacking ..... watch documentary Lonely Planet (bradley cooper in it) and leonardo dicaprio "the beach", for inspiration .....

Travel to asia ... not africa lol

warriorsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 warriorsq
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

I started running in 2010 aged 41 and completed my first ultra marathon a 62 mile/100k in 2012 aged 43. I'm training for a 24 hour run now in June. It's never too late!

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

The time in life when pursuing goals are too late would be upon death.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

Ok, the topic may seem kinda fuzzy. I am on the wrong side of my twenties and now, after completing MBA and working with a company.

I am not dissatisfied or feeling stuck, but sometimes (especially at weekends) , I get a feeling that a special skill would have been handy. I always had a passion for playing the guitar but now I am kinda embarrassed to sign up for guitar lessons as I feel that the prime period for learning is well behind me.

Even some of my friends ridicule this idea of taking guitar lessons and they say am too old for that but I feel it is worth giving a shot!

Well, don't quit your day job or anything. But as long as it's just a hobby, what's the harm? Go ahead and do it. Go in not expecting to ever make any money off of it, just do it for personal enjoyment, and then it'll be fine even if you stink and never amount to anything.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

Its never too late. My friend's mother recently became a Registered Nurse, she is almost 50 years old and used to work as a cashier at a grocery store before this.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Its never too late! Look at the amount of older students you see these days as an example!

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Late better than never they say..

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serioussamik

@Boddicker:

Thanx for the recommendation. Got Rocksmith 2014 for X360.

Seems like really fun and helpful for beginners. Was getting an audio lag on my TV, but surfed around a bit to find the solution.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

It's never to late, go do it because you only get one life.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1838 Posts

@megagene said:

It's too late when you're dead. That's about it.

wow you summed it up the way i said it in my head.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

As far as guitars go, you can learn it in later life, it's not like soccer you have to start it at a young age to be a master at it.

On the other hand, if you had any musical talent, why didn't you start it before. Most people like doing things they're good at.

As of age, every age has it's benefits. If you're still healthy, the older the wiser.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Never too late, do eet. Laugh at your friends that laughed at you.