How is Your 2019 Going So Far?

Avatar image for Ovirew
#1 Posted by Ovirew (8863 posts) -

Hey Off Topic. How is this year going for you so far?

It's hard to believe we're already over 1/3rd of the way through 2019. We're not far out from Summertime, and in about as much more time it'll be Fall. It's going fast for me, at least.

I haven't been enjoying 2019. Just about every month this year has had a crappy moment. There have been some positives, the biggest one being I've enjoyed some nice days going for walks. And all things considered I'm still thankful to be here and getting by as best I can. But really, the first third has been rough. I am an optimist though, I think the rest of 2019 could improve.

Looking back over the past couple of years:

  • I think 2018 started off good, but Summer and much of Fall sucked, but it ended on a better note. Ended up feeling lousy overall, though.
  • 2017 had some iffy moments but I remember it being mostly good. I think it was one of the better recent years, maybe? I felt like friends were around more then.
  • 2016 was manageable, and seemed like a full year with a lot of things going on. But a lot of crappy things happened, too. I'd say it balanced itself out and was kind of neutral.

I'd love it if I could say the first ~4 months of 2019 were crappy but the rest was great. But I guess that remains to be seen. As long as it doesn't get worse, I'll take it.

How's everyone else holding up this year?

Avatar image for saltslasher
#2 Posted by SaltSlasher (1006 posts) -

I feel like 2017 was really good, but ever since its been nothing but hype, despite feeling like its getting and better and better each year. Maybe deals are getting less and less, and I'm playing more and more Game Pass.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#3 Posted by robert_sparkes (2937 posts) -

2018 was playing all the games I missed from 2017. 2019 I brought a PS4 so playing all the games I've missed mainly exclusives.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#4 Edited by comp_atkins (35603 posts) -

2019 has been very hectic for me w/ my second daughter born shortly before the end of 2018 but no real complaints.

busy w/ work, busy at home. amazing how the time flies

Avatar image for crimsonbrute
#5 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25385 posts) -

Meh. Like most years it has been a bit of a roller coaster.

@comp_atkins said:

2019 has been very hectic for me w/ my second daughter born shortly before the end of 2018 ubt no real complaints.

A better-late-than-never congrats!

Avatar image for warmblur
#6 Edited by warmblur (2165 posts) -

I could get dramatic and dark but I wouldn't go that route lets just say things have been permanently ruined since the early 00's and that's all there is to it. Some problems are permanent and your're f$ck for life that's me a poster boy for one of the biggest fu$k ups in the world.

Avatar image for gmak2442
#7 Posted by GMAK2442 (954 posts) -

A lot of work. Lack of pleasure.

It could get better to very good.

Avatar image for Macutchi
#8 Posted by Macutchi (6697 posts) -

it makes me sad reading these kind of threads. it's hard to get a sense of severity when people just say the year's been rough. i hope it's not rough as in been struggling to feed myself or seriously ill rough. my year's been ok so far. hope everyone who's struggling sees their fortunes turn round

Avatar image for johnd13
#9 Posted by johnd13 (9693 posts) -

I got my first full-time job so that was a step in the right direction. Though I've been thinking about looking for something more fulfilling. On a personal level, it's been meh.

Avatar image for sonicare
#10 Posted by sonicare (56652 posts) -

Going by quickly, to be honest.

Avatar image for Teenaged
#12 Edited by Teenaged (31764 posts) -

Pretty bad.

And to think a friend of mine read the Tarot cards for me and said 2019 would be a relatively good year. Dont believe the Tarot cards, people.

Avatar image for Ovirew
#13 Posted by Ovirew (8863 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

I feel like 2017 was really good, but ever since its been nothing but hype, despite feeling like its getting and better and better each year. Maybe deals are getting less and less, and I'm playing more and more Game Pass.

I guess as far as gaming deals go I can't really comment much. I had an XBO-X last year and did enjoy a couple of games I got quite a bit, but it did get expensive fast. I didn't really take advantage of Game Pass. That said, they did have a pretty massive sale on the Xbox Marketplace last year, for digital purchases.

@comp_atkins said:

@robert_sparkes said:

2018 was playing all the games I missed from 2017. 2019 I brought a PS4 so playing all the games I've missed mainly exclusives.

I kind of go in these weird cycles like that, too. In 2017 I had a Switch and started enjoying some of its games, but got paranoid and sold it. In 2018 I started really missing having some games to play again, and got an Xbox One X, and by the end of that year I'd sold that as well. And this year I went and got a Switch again. It's a bad way to be, and hopefully I just kind of stick with what I've got for the time being.

To be honest I haven't really been in the mood to play console games anyway. More than anything I want to play WoW Classic. Go figure, lol. Maybe I still do want what I can't have?

@comp_atkins said:

2019 has been very hectic for me w/ my second daughter born shortly before the end of 2018 but no real complaints.

busy w/ work, busy at home. amazing how the time flies

Congrats on the bebe! I guess things are going well for you, then? Well anyway, I hope 2019 is going better for the newborn than it is for some of us, lol.

@crimsonbrute said:

Meh. Like most years it has been a bit of a roller coaster.

@comp_atkins said:

2019 has been very hectic for me w/ my second daughter born shortly before the end of 2018 ubt no real complaints.

A better-late-than-never congrats!

I guess they all have their ups and downs. Still, I feel like I was kind of able to rate the last three years as "neutral, good and lousy" lol. Granted none of these years have been as bad as I'm sure they were for many people. I still have my health. I guess I can't help myself but examine the annual trends of things.

@warmblur said:

I could get dramatic and dark but I wouldn't go that route lets just say things have been permanently ruined since the early 00's and that's all there is to it. Some problems are permanent and your're f$ck for life that's me a poster boy for one of the biggest fu$k ups in the world.

Well I'm sorry to hear that, Warmblur. I guess some problems can't be fixed, but you can always try your best to view things with a positive mindset and change things you can change. Sometimes I feel like a pretty big screw-up myself.

I think there's a lot of constants and variables in life. There's things that make you you, and problems that you face throughout lifetime. There's the growth and change you go through, and the new problems. I think one of my favorite pictures of myself is still my kindergarten yearbook photo. For some reason that picture captured perfectly who I am, the look on my face and all. I can think back to that picture and see myself, and realize that even though I've grown and changed as a person, that part of me is still there.

But some things are out of our control. You've got to make the best of things with what you've got. And if you're not good enough for this or that person, maybe the truth is they just aren't good enough for you.

@gmak2442 said:

A lot of work. Lack of pleasure.

It could get better to very good.

For me it feels like work goes kind of fast, and I have these good moments where it's still light outside and there's stuff to do and people to talk to, but then there are these long periods of time where I am stuck at home or driving around alone late at night, and there's not much to do - and that can get depressing.

I think things are slowly improving this month, but I guess right now I feel like there's a lot of conflict and a lot of people making things more complicated than they have to be.

@Macutchi said:

it makes me sad reading these kind of threads. it's hard to get a sense of severity when people just say the year's been rough. i hope it's not rough as in been struggling to feed myself or seriously ill rough. my year's been ok so far. hope everyone who's struggling sees their fortunes turn round

Fortunately I can say I'm not that bad off. I've had some pretty lousy things happen this year, but I still have been eating and I'm not dying of any major disease that I know of. It's been a disappointing beginning to the year, but not a wholly horrible one. I'm thankful things are going as well as they are at least.

@johnd13 said:

I got my first full-time job so that was a step in the right direction. Though I've been thinking about looking for something more fulfilling. On a personal level, it's been meh.

Congrats on landing the job! Well, you know work is something that changes over the years. You might never be fully-satisfied with whatever it is you're doing for a living, but as long as you're mostly managing it's important not to worry too much about the what-ifs. Just the other day I was debating going back to my old job, but like people pointed out to me, I'm probably not doing horrible where I am now - and I left the old job because that wasn't working out, lol.

@sonicare said:

Going by quickly, to be honest.

It is, quite. I'm going to be honest, it's the 14th now, we're already about halfway through May. Dang! Where is the time going?

I'd like to enjoy the Summer and meet new people, but gaging things based off of how quickly the year is going so far, who knows how much time we really have for the Summer? I guess the key is to not let everything completely pass you by, and to make something of the time you're given.

@Teenaged said:

Pretty bad.

And to think a friend of mine read the Tarot cards for me and said 2019 would be a relatively good year. Dont believe the Tarot cards, people.

Sorry to hear that, Teenaged.

You know, I still check my horoscopes every day. Every single day. I check different kinds of horoscopes focused on different aspects of my life, I check different websites sometimes, I check on horoscopes for today, tomorrow, the week, the month, and the year. I'm not sure how much it helps, but for some reason I really like to have that perspective on things.

Avatar image for Gamerno6666
#14 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6682 posts) -

Quit my full time job at the start of this year. Now doing a partime job for the last 3 months and not get the urge to move on with my life.

Avatar image for horgen
#15 Posted by Horgen (120167 posts) -

@Teenaged said:

Pretty bad.

And to think a friend of mine read the Tarot cards for me and said 2019 would be a relatively good year. Dont believe the Tarot cards, people.

Well it could be worse, couldn't it? :P

It's been alright so far.

Avatar image for kriggy
#16 Posted by kriggy (1172 posts) -

I have no right to complain about my 2019. I quit my job mid-winter and went snowboarding in the mountains for the rest of the season. Got some real crazy powder days to remember for the rest of my life! And now I’m employed at a new place and things are going pretty well! Fun job even though I miss my former colleagues 😊

Avatar image for mandzilla
#17 Posted by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

It's my birthday and I have to go to work today. :(

Avatar image for Ovirew
#18 Posted by Ovirew (8863 posts) -

@mandzilla: Happy Birthday, Mandzilla!

Well, I guess you've got to look at it like your exact birth date doesn't have as much weight as you give it. You've been almost this age for a few months now, you can simply pick an upcoming day off to celebrate a little.

All it really means is that 8760 hours passed again.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#19 Posted by SuperfluousReal (247 posts) -

The start of my future.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#20 Posted by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

@mandzilla: Happy Birthday, Mandzilla!

Well, I guess you've got to look at it like your exact birth date doesn't have as much weight as you give it. You've been almost this age for a few months now, you can simply pick an upcoming day off to celebrate a little.

All it really means is that 8760 hours passed again.

Thanks very much @Ovirew! I appreciate it.

Hmm, well I guess when you put it like that it's kinda funny how some of us freak out at turning a certain age on a specific day when in fact it's a gradual aging process lol. Very true though, wasn't such a big deal having to go to work once I snapped out of my lazy spell anyway.

Mhm, and kinda crazy how fast those 8760 hours can fly by. Going to have to make the most of all that time this year I reckon!

And yes, this weekend I plan to have a belated bday bbq if the weather's good. 👍

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#21 Posted by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

Be awfully hard to top the shittyness of last year, but i'm sure something will happen.

Avatar image for clifford_sexylips
#22 Posted by Clifford_Sexylips (24 posts) -

although it is still the beginnings of the year, I would describe it as bittersweet. A lot of failures but they were replaced by happy things from other people.

Avatar image for Peasly
#23 Posted by Peasly (289 posts) -

Almost into June already. Going too fast for my liking. Loving the games but dreading staring at my computer working at 6am in the dark in winter..!!

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#24 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19921 posts) -

Probably the most social year I've had since like 2011.

Avatar image for Ovirew
#25 Edited by Ovirew (8863 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet: I was actually hoping this year would be a little more social for me, that I might meet new people. But maybe I've resigned myself to the idea that I live in a big area where most people don't want to get to know anybody new. It doesn't help that I'm not very outgoing.

How have you been having success with social life?

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#26 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19921 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

@Gaming-Planet: I was actually hoping this year would be a little more social for me, that I might meet new people. But maybe I've resigned myself to the idea that I live in a big area where most people don't want to get to know anybody new. It doesn't help that I'm not very outgoing.

How have you been having success with social life?

It's easier because I'm in school and got lucky grouping up with some social people in my classes. Also work on campus so I get to see a lot of the same people and make a lot of acquaintances.

Avatar image for Byshop
#27 Posted by Byshop (19558 posts) -
Loading Video...

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#28 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25234 posts) -

Good so far. But, I haven't had much time for games over the past couple of months.

I did assemble a cheap i5-8600 PC and replaced my old car with a new one.

Avatar image for stekoxx
#29 Edited by Stekoxx (1 posts) -

Like someone said before: the start of my future!

I just learned how to create websites, and I created my first one, https://moneygen.net/ and Im so proud of it!!!!!

And your 2019 how it's going?