How I Met Your Dad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/11/16/cbs-moving-forward-with-how-i-met-your-mother-spinoff-how-i-met-your-dad

When How I Met Your Mother ends in 2014 after 9 fantastic seasons, they plan on making "How I met your Dad" a spinoff with new characters but have a similar format of storytelling.

What do you think about this you HIMYM fans?

I am nervous about this because now i think they are milking the franchise for all it's worth. I am curious but replacing this cast is gonna be a tall order.

Discuss

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16873 Posts

I've never watched the original show, but something about this screams lazy writing. It reminds me when the creators of That '70s Show came up with a new series called...That '80s Show.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

I've never watched the original show, but something about this screams lazy writing. It reminds me when the creators of That '70s Show came up with a new series called...That '80s Show.

Is that really a thing?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@deeliman said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

Is that really a thing?

It was. It was cancelled its first season in. I remember seeing a few episodes, but it was really nothing special.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deeliman

@hallenbeck77 said:

@deeliman said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

Is that really a thing?

It was. It was cancelled its first season in. I remember seeing a few episodes, but it was really nothing special.

Most spin-off's of popular series suck. The original just had such good characters, it's hard to recreate that.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@deeliman said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@deeliman said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

Is that really a thing?

Most spin-off's of popular series suck. The original just had such good characters, it's hard to recreate that.

Very few are successful. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that was a hit was Frasier, the spin-off from Cheers. Most other ones are from the '70s and '80s such as Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy (Both were spinoffs from Happy Days) and The Facts of Life (a spinoff of Diff'rent Strokes).

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deeliman

@hallenbeck77 said:

@deeliman said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@deeliman said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

Is that really a thing?

Very few are successful. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that was a hit was Frasier, the spin-off from Cheers. Most other ones are from the '70s and '80s such as Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy (Both were spinoffs from Happy Days) and The Facts of Life (a spinoff of Diff'rent Strokes).

Is it weird that I know all those shows even though I was born way past their release dates? Stupid dutch comedy central, they only air reruns of either old shows or old episodes.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

i really hope they don't do this

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

I was actually around for some of those shows. They still air them here in the states, too...and they really don't age well.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

9 fantastic seasons

lol

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@lostrib said:

CBS already gave the go-ahead, according to Variety.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@hallenbeck77 said:

@lostrib said:

ugh, it's just so unnecessary. And I'm pretty sure people are already frustrated with how drawn out HIMYM is

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@lostrib said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@lostrib said:

ugh, it's just so unnecessary. And I'm pretty sure people are already frustrated with how drawn out HIMYM is

At least it's only a pilot for the time being. Best case scenario, the CBS execs could look at it, come to their senses, and decide not to pick it up as a series.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib

@hallenbeck77 said:

@lostrib said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@lostrib said:

At least it's only a pilot for the time being. Best case scenario, the CBS execs could look at it, come to their senses, and decide not to pick it up as a series.

Considering some of the shit they throw out there, i'm not sure they even preview their new series' Ex: We Are Men

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@lostrib said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@lostrib said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@lostrib said:

Considering some of the shit they throw out there, i'm not sure they even preview their new series' Ex: We Are Men

That was cancelled 2 episodes in. It does make you wonder who's greenlighting some of these shows. I'm always curious on the ones that don't make the cut. There was a pilot for the TV spinoff of Beverly Hills Cop, written by the creator of The Shield last summer. It was supposed to be on CBS, but they passed on it for whatever reason.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

Doesn't matter to me....I didn't think much of How I Met Your Mother. So I quit watching.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

This is corporate greed at it's finest. They should let it end on a good note and this spinoff might ruin my image of the show.

I don't think it's possible to replace BARNEY:-\

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I'll wait and see before I judge it, but my hopes aren't terribly high.

HIMYM just has such a great cast of characters that is really hard to re-create, especially when you take into consideration that the characters are based off real-life people the creators were friends with, and in fact Lily's casting choice was entirely based on the real-life Lily saying she would only support the show if Alison Hannigan played her.

Also, NPH's character is just impossible to replace with a new show. It really is his perfect role.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By themajormayor

@LostProphetFLCL said:

HIMYM just has such a great cast of characters that is really hard to re-create, especially when you take into consideration that the characters are based off real-life people the creators were friends with, and in fact Lily's casting choice was entirely based on the real-life Lily saying she would only support the show if Alison Hannigan played her.

Also, NPH's character is just impossible to replace with a new show. It really is his perfect role.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

lol... must be a slow day for you.. 2 posts in the same thread to bash people who like a tv show...

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

I never got in to HIMYM, however I dont see how this affects anyone. Either people will tune in, and it'll keep going, or people won't, and it'll be cancelled.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@Netret0120 said:

9 fantastic seasons

lol

lmao

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

I set the over/under at post 10 for someone criticizing or laughing at someone who liked HIMYM. I took the under, but it was a push.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 themajormayor

@comp_atkins said:

@themajormayor said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

lol... must be a slow day for you.. 2 posts in the same thread to bash people who like a tv show...

No it's just a really crappy show.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

after 9 fantastic seasons

HIMYM just has such a great cast of characters that is really hard to re-create

@themajormayor I have no idea what these people are on rofl

HIMYM is a Friends knock off, an imposter, a wannabe, a try-hard, etc etc. Considering the fact that Friends was at best mediocre romance-comedy flick, imagine what HIMYM would be like...

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

HIMYM has been running on fumes for years. They clearly have no material left. It's a shame that so many enduring shows always have a footnote of a god-awful spinoff that got cancelled after one season.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@comp_atkins said:

@themajormayor said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

No it's just a really crappy show.

Well, we can't all watch Breaking Bad and The Wire on a constant loop. Sometimes people want to watch something else.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

I don't even think HIMYM is that good. I've watched most of them, but sometimes I just stare. I know it is meant to be funny.... but most of the time it's a miss. However I will say the earlier seasons were much better.

It is just hard to watch a show in which the main character whines quite often about trying to find the one. If he just complained a bit less, it would make a big difference. Then of course, make the show funny :P

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Yeah right, thats retarted, don't believe the hype.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

Yeah... And look how well THAT turned out. How many seasons did it run again? Zero? >_>