How does calling back a place after applying for a job work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 criinok
Member since 2006 • 1478 Posts

I've been applying for jobs the past week, and I've been told that calling back the places you applied at can greatly boost your chances of getting hired. I've never gotten this concept though, as why should I have to call back the place when I've already submitted my application, showing interest? No matter, I still want to know how to properly go about this as I really want a job.

So, what the hell do I say when they pick up the phone? "Hey.. I applied here last week.. So I'm just calling you to remind you." That doesn't sound very proper, so I wanted to see what you guys have done.

Also, how does OT feel about this method?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Don't be annoyingly persistent, but a well placed call back can help. If they're having trouble deciding who to take, that call may make the difference.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
It's not like I ever got a response from most of the places I applied for jobs at, so there's nothing to lose.
Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

I've never really liked it either but as long as u don't speak demandingly or rudely u have nothing to lose.

What I like to say, and this is strictly my personal preference, is one of 2 things.

"Hi there, my name is _________. Last week(or applicable elapsed time) I applied for the available ________ position with the company and I'm just wondering if there as been any change in the status of my application."

or

"Hi there, my name is _________. Last week(or applicable elapsed time) I applied for the available ________ position with the company and I'm just calling to inquire if the position has been filled yet or not."

The first one is more forward and puts you in their perspective, it forces them to actively think about you and respond with two things. Either you've been rejected or they're still considering applicants.

The second is much more vague, I tend to use this one only when I think I didn't get the position and I just want closure. Basically it causes them to think specifically about the position and not really about you; they tell you if its been filled or not and then kinda move on.

Overall the most important thing is to not be demanding, you just want to be inquisitive.

ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

Instead of calling, I just send emails back. At my current employer I went through 2 rounds of interviews witha total of 4 people, I made sure I got all of their business card so I can send an email back thanking them for their time and was looking forward to hear back from them. Be enthusastic but not overbearing, and don't bombard them with emails (I only send 1 email to each interviewer the following day) and viola, I got the job

Things might be different nowadays, you might want to check with whomever interview you what would be their prefer method to be contact, as I'm sure they got tons of people trying to follow up on their applications

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts
Don't call too much :(
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

If you really want the job, then you should follow up with them either in person or with a phone call.

criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 criinok
Member since 2006 • 1478 Posts

I've never really liked it either but as long as u don't speak demandingly or rudely u have nothing to lose.

What I like to say, and this is strictly my personal preference, is one of 2 things.

"Hi there, my name is _________. Last week(or applicable elapsed time) I applied for the available ________ position with the company and I'm just wondering if there as been any change in the status of my application."

or

"Hi there, my name is _________. Last week(or applicable elapsed time) I applied for the available ________ position with the company and I'm just calling to inquire if the position has been filled yet or not."

The first one is more forward and puts you in their perspective, it forces them to actively think about you and respond with two things. Either you've been rejected or they're still considering applicants.

The second is much more vague, I tend to use this one only when I think I didn't get the position and I just want closure. Basically it causes them to think specifically about the position and not really about you; they tell you if its been filled or not and then kinda move on.

Overall the most important thing is to not be demanding, you just want to be inquisitive.

Inger1

This was a really great reply, thanks for info on what to say when I call. Thanks to everyone else for the replies too :) Wish me luck, I've been job hunting for a while now

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

or

Inger1
well put same thing i would said
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

when applying for a job you should look for a name and information who is doing the hiring. if not able online you should call and find out who's the hiring manager and get their number.

someone above said email.. don't do this unless email is only information you have or after you talk to them on the phone and they ask to talk through email...

alot people hate how the world is changing to only online applying because people never get to see you...

also sadly to say but remember it's not what you know it's who you know so start getting to know. not joking when i say this. it's best to talk to hiring manager to give a edge

my sister when school for 6 years and nearly took her get year and 3/4s to get a job in her degree. and about 1 1/2 through of being unemployed she talked to a old friend from high school that worked at a bank and she put a application in and 3 days later got phone call from a bank. just shows who you know not what you know.

then my self i got a job at hospital the job wasn't even put up online and the manager wanted me just because one of my friends worked for him and i talked to the manager for 2 min's just introducing my self and boom got hired on.

so since you don't know the manager you need show your self most as you can by calling and steping forward

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Call them back just to simply thank them for allowing you to have an interview with them. Not only do you let them know your thankful but it also shows you are interested.