How does a take-home exam work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

For one of my subjects this semester I have a take-home exam.

How does this work? I have never done one before. Is it just like a take home essay? Or do you have to hand write it etc?

Who has done one?! Raise your hand!

Lindsosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lindsosaurus
Member since 2009 • 1982 Posts

It can be in various formats, but usually it is an essay or something and you don't have to hand write it or anything...your professor will give you all the details. and you will be able to use notes/your book or whatever to do it. They aren't bad but they usually tend to be a little bit trickyer or in-depth since you have more time and more resources to complete it.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 biggest_loser

It can be in various formats, but usually it is an essay or something and you don't have to hand write it or anything...your professor will give you all the details. and you will be able to use notes/your book or whatever to do it. They aren't bad but they usually tend to be a little bit trickyer or in-depth since you have more time and more resources to complete it.

Lindsosaurus
So basically its just an essay?
Juice_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juice_13
Member since 2009 • 293 Posts

They can be in differnt forms, but I have mostly seen take home essay exams. They are generally expected to be more in depth than an essay written i nclass would be, and you usually have to have proper punctuation, grammar, citations etc. I found them basically just to be another essay. Different teachers/profs have different ways though, so yours may be different.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

I believe one time I had a take home test that appeared to be 5 or 6 short answer (ie: a paragraph) questions but I ended up writing a page or more for each response :?

Lindsosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lindsosaurus

[QUOTE="Lindsosaurus"]

It can be in various formats, but usually it is an essay or something and you don't have to hand write it or anything...your professor will give you all the details. and you will be able to use notes/your book or whatever to do it. They aren't bad but they usually tend to be a little bit trickier or in-depth since you have more time and more resources to complete it.

biggest_loser

yeah most likely, what class is it for?

I have had really long take-homes that have been a combination of short answer and essay also

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
The take home exams I had in high school were normal exams except you take them home. Some are written on a bit of paper while some are in the book. Pretty much an assignment that's graded as an exam.
streak000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 streak000
Member since 2007 • 6802 Posts

For one of my subjects this semester I have a take-home exam.

How does this work? I have never done one before. Is it just like a take home essay? Or do you have to hand write it etc?

Who has done one?! Raise your hand!

biggest_loser

I've done a couple. They all contained a few questions, and I had to write mini essays for each of those(like 500-1000 words). They're not too bad.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Lindsosaurus"]

It can be in various formats, but usually it is an essay or something and you don't have to hand write it or anything...your professor will give you all the details. and you will be able to use notes/your book or whatever to do it. They aren't bad but they usually tend to be a little bit trickier or in-depth since you have more time and more resources to complete it.

Lindsosaurus

yeah most likely, what class is it for?

I have had really long take-homes that have been a combination of short answer and essay also

An english class, "Australian Gothic"
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Take home tests are also called yahoo answers tests. (Doesn't work on essays though)

Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
why didnt you tell them how did it work
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

I'll be brutally honest. Take-home exams suck and suck hard. Generally, the professor/teacher gives you the test and tells you to do it...at home *shock*. You can make a study group and do the test together or cheat by looking on the internet. The catch is that the test is, for lack of a better word, brutally difficult. Harder than a normal test that could be taken in class. Use these handy-dandy tips to make sure a take-home exam isn't the last exam of your academic career:

-While working in groups for a take-home exam is perfectly reasonable, make sure that everyone's answers are written differently or that each person has a different way of getting to the right answer. Make sure that each person's test in the group is not formatted the exact same way. That is to say, everyone's answer should not be in the bottom right-hand corner of the page. You can bet your skinny/average/fat arse that the professor/teacher will be looking to see if anyone's tests look identical.

-Looking to the internet for answers/advice is also perfectly reasonable. Be careful though. Smart professors/teachers will purposely put the right answer somewhere on the internet where it's easy to find. If the student copies that answer verbatim, then he/she will know that the student cheated.

Most of these tips apply to math based classes, however, if this test is in a history class then you'd better be careful as well. Wikipedia is the most misleading website on the internet. Anyone can make changes to them and it takes a few days before the mods can verify if the change is accurate. Double check your answers to make sure that they're the same on two different websites. Remember, professors/teachers are sneaky bastards, watch yourself.

Hope this helps.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

If it's an English class, you most likely will have to write an essay. Your teacher might give you some short essay or content questions, but that's really pointless on a take home exam lol.

Lindsosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lindsosaurus

An english class, "Australian Gothic" biggest_loser

Then yeah, it will just be like an essay assignment, only graded as an exam

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
Ugh, take-homes suck. I had a take-home FINAL exam for Differential Equations... that was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I think it was 17 pages of problems, and it took the better half the day to finish. But a bunch of us compared our answers before we turned it in.... I needed a 99 or above (so that or a 100, haha) on the final to get an A in the class.... and I got an A in the class. ;) As for you... a take home essay won't be worse than a normal one... just take home exams that AREN'T writing.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser

I'll be brutally honest. Take-home exams suck and suck hard. Generally, the professor/teacher gives you the test and tells you to do it...at home *shock*. You can make a study group and do the test together or cheat by looking on the internet. The catch is that the test is, for lack of a better word, brutally difficult. Harder than a normal test that could be taken in class. Use these handy-dandy tips to make sure a take-home exam isn't the last exam of your academic career:

-While working in groups for a take-home exam is perfectly reasonable, make sure that everyone's answers are written differently or that each person has a different way of getting to the right answer. Make sure that each person's test in the group is not formatted the exact same way. That is to say, everyone's answer should not be in the bottom right-hand corner of the page. You can bet your skinny/average/fat arse that the professor/teacher will be looking to see if anyone's tests look identical.

-Looking to the internet for answers/advice is also perfectly reasonable. Be careful though. Smart professors/teachers will purposely put the right answer somewhere on the internet where it's easy to find. If the student copies that answer verbatim, then he/she will know that the student cheated.

Most of these tips apply to math based classes, however, if this test is in a history class then you'd better be careful as well. Wikipedia is the most misleading website on the internet. Anyone can make changes to them and it takes a few days before the mods can verify if the change is accurate. Double check your answers to make sure that they're the same on two different websites. Remember, professors/teachers are sneaky bastards, watch yourself.

Hope this helps.

edgewalker16
Thank you lol Its for english and I have a entire library at my disposal lol :P