Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Today I heard this song on a Twitch stream...

https://youtu.be/IPXIgEAGe4

I liked it! It’s catchy, has a good message, and is well sung. It’s also over a year old and I’m just hearing the song now. Going through my radio presets, I can see how I’ve missed this song. It’s not news or comedy so obviously I wouldn’t hear it there. It seems too pop for rock, too positive and not enough angst for alternative, and not trap or hip hop enough for my local pop stations. Who would play a song like this on the radio and what else have I missed?

For the record, the band’s other music didn’t impress me - just this song.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Nowadays, mostly movies and TV shows. I'm sorry, but listening to random mediocre music on Spotify and such in the hopes of finding something good is really boring. I also don't have the time.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sevenizz

@ezekiel43: Agreed. I think I have a Spotify account, but I never use it.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

YouTube primarily. I've recently, in the past 2-3 years, started liking all the songs I really enjoy on YouTube. I've come across things I've enjoyed, that I've never listened to, in those mixes that YouTube randomly generate. I'll sometimes hear things I enjoy on TV shows, movies, games (GTA radio). I do not use Spotify and I don't have plans to try it out anytime soon. Almost everyone I know uses it, but I still use my iPod or YouTube for music. I plug my iPod to the car stereo whenever I drive. I do not listen to the radio. None of that top 40 shit for me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

Youtube in general. But on a long road trip I use my ipod.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

I have Sirius XM Radio and I do listen to good music which in return depends what "kind/type" of music you are looking for. I love listening to Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk Metal, and mostly just Grung musics as well.

Sirius XM to me is the best place to find good music.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Going on YouTube and search 90's music.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11124 Posts

Mostly YouTube, sometimes Spotify. I don't listen to new music very often as I rarely put the necessary effort to discover new artists or tracks. I've been meaning to change that though as the music I actually listen to is very limited.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

Nowadays, mostly movies and TV shows. I'm sorry, but listening to random mediocre music on Spotify and such in the hopes of finding something good is really boring. I also don't have the time.

That's a shame, music is really important part of human culture, it's good to set aside at least an hour each day to listen to music and/or read. I understand what you mean, though, sifting through music can be a bit trying at times.

As for how I find new music, well....Spotify. Either through the radio option or through the "similar artists" option I will pick an artist I or song I don't recognize. From there, I just keep doing that.

I will add songs I like to my playlist based on genre (usually) or where I think it fits best, then if I feel in the mood for that kind of music, I'll select "playlist radio" option at a later date which more or less randomizes what songs play.

Then repeat basically :D

Example:

So the other day I was listening to my folk playlist. Artists like Bob Dylan, Old Crow Medicine Show, Devil Makes Three, and so on were playing. Then Taj Mahal comes on, doing the song "Shady Grove".

"Taj Mahal?" I thought "He is folk?" and sure enough he can be pretty folksy. So I looked into him, and that led me to Fela Kute, an Afro-beat artist. Really great stuff.

From there it led me to a playlist that had "Ethiopan Jazz" which I was not really into, but it did lead me to someone named Bombino, a Nigerian artist who can really play the guitar. No idea what he is singing about, but that's cool, you don't really need to.

After that I felt like going into psychedelic stoner fuzz metal and rock, so I started up my playlist radio with a bunch of artists like Kyuss, Earthless, Samsara Blue Experiment, and so on. I Guess Spotify noticed I was listening to a bunch of international stuff, or maybe it was just random, because it led me to this great Japanese band kikagaku moyo. Problem with this genre is the songs are all light 10-20 minutes long, but at this point I was two hours off my shift at work, getting ready for bed, and good and stoned so I was pretty into it.

Anyway, that's just an example of how I find new stuff. Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, as they say; a three-hour music binge starts with a single song.

You need a Spotify sub, though. Commercials kill it, and it is easily worth it. I would happlily give up my Amazon Prime and Netflix subs before I give up my Spotify sub.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I have a collection of about 1000 albums, which I've listened to a ton over the years. But I find movies more important and just don't have enough time left for music between all the movies and one to few episodes of TV a day, plus work.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sevenizz

@davillain-: ‘Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk Metal, and mostly just Grung musics as well.’

I’m not really a metal fan, but everything else you mention I think we’d get along fine. Just listened to a bunch of STP the other day thinking ‘has anyone made better music than this in the past 20 years?’.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Maybe I'm just old now, but I don't even bother trying to listen to new music anymore. My playlist is made up of bands from the 60's to 90's with a little Dean Martin sprinkled in there.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

@davillain- said:

I have Sirius XM Radio and I do listen to good music which in return depends what "kind/type" of music you are looking for. I love listening to Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk Metal, and mostly just Grung musics as well.

Sirius XM to me is the best place to find good music.

Had Sirius XM when I bought my car......same as free radio really. Same songs over and over.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 302 Posts

In Connecticut the radiostations

- my fav stations to hear new great music.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

I don't really find anything good anymore. Yeah sure it will be a random good song on the radio or some of the playlists I use when I work out... Looking up old bands I listened to and see if they have anything new. But new stuff? Wish I was better at finding stuff.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 302 Posts

recently been listening to:

Camila Cabello

R.E.M.

Pixies

Adele

Jonas Brothers

Lana Del Rey

The Offspring

Jimmy Eat World

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Watch_My_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Watch_My_6
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

"Alexa play..."

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#19 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6072 Posts

Classic Rock mainly.

AC/DC, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Sex Pistols, Buddy Holly, Ramones, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, etc.... And lots of other bands.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Sirius XM and Spotify algorhythmic playlists. Its easy to find other music on spotify, type in your interests and try some playlists out/similar artist lists

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

1. Go to Youtube.

2. In the search bar type "Billy Strings"

3. Enjoy.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8732 Posts

I listen to the Seattle public radio. KEXP. They have a different types of music throughout the day. I listen to them at work.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 270 Posts

Oh I've got a lot of options ,I just kind of let that shit play casually with low expectations first and then maybe in times for sure there'll be something really great.

Spotify

Pandora

Slacker

YouTube music

iHeartRadio

Terrestrial radio

Music choice

Bandcamp

Soundcloud

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points