How do websites/forums keep track of users who use phones?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidSnake2011-
#1 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (584 posts) -

Do phones have ip addresses or something that can identify them? I was banned on a forum and I wanna make a new account but I don't wanna let them know I had an account banned there. I think I logged in with both my computer and phone and I can't change my i[ address on my computer.

#3 Posted by lonewolfman10 (528 posts) -

I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised since everything is being tracked nowadays

#4 Posted by harashawn (27614 posts) -
Every device that connects to the internet has an ip address, if I'm not mistaken.
#5 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
Yeah, your phone has an IP. Not the phone itself, but your current package.
#6 Posted by Diablo-B (4063 posts) -

I took a class on this, and yes your phone has an ip address associated to it when you are using the 3g/4g network that has to get rerouted back to your provider. Its been a while so I dont remember all the details so I don't remember how you can change your smartphone's IP. I do know that different providers have different policies on how they distribute the address which would determine how often you get a new address or if you even can (static address).

#7 Posted by Tykain (3887 posts) -
Every device connected to internet has an ip address, if it didn't it couldn't be served web pages.
#8 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
This is why I use a different accounts on my cell phone and computer although it is very hard to get banned at this site now!