How did you decide what to do after highschool?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shert
Member since 2008 • 561 Posts

So I'm at the half way point in grade 11 and I still have very little idea about what I want to do after highschool, like what career I want to work towards etc. So I got advice to just study what I like, which wasn't very helpful because I like a lot of things.

So OT how did you decide what to study/do after highschool?

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I just decided i was going to go study business. It what i liked so why not.

Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
Go to college and just start getting you basic credits and decide while you're doing that.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I watched CSI a lot so I decided to be a Forensic Science because it looked awesome. But after a year I changed to Computer Science when I realized I suck at chemistry. Thing is, you'll never know what you want to do until you find out what you DON'T want to do.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm 24 and have been through 5 years of university and still have absolutely no idea what I want to do. So don't feel like you need to "get a career" out of high school.

Lalucar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Lalucar
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts

A friend of mine encouraged me to talk to a USMC recruiter, a year later after my 17th Birthday I signed my enlistment papers.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I couldn't decide what to do, so my parents suggested a business major. I did some research, and decided on Accounting. It seemed the most appealing at the time (and still is compared to other specializations in business).
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Go to college and just start getting you basic credits and decide while you're doing that.CongressManStan

go to junior college and get your basic credits.

no reason to waste money going to a four-year school if you dont know what you want to do.

it is also easier to work a job while going to a JC

blo_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blo_op
Member since 2010 • 332 Posts
I just picked a major and took the basic credits. Then I kept switching majors, which is really bad. I just settled for business since I thought it was the best thing to study for a quick job.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I just picked a major and took the basic credits. Then I kept switching majors, which is really bad. I just settled for business since I thought it was the best thing to study for a quick job.blo_op

...and this is why people should not go to college right out of high school.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#11 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I did philosophy because it's enjoyable and I didn't want to become another business/ economics student clone.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Ive been out of high school for 10 years and i still don't know what i want to do for the rest of my life.
ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

I couldn't decide so I did an undeclared major for my first year and took some courses I thought I'd be interested. After that I knew I what to major in.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

I started in general studies in college because I had no idea what I wanted to do. Near the end of my freshman year, my advisor chose accounting as my major for me, and I have stuck with it since then.

-Absinthe-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#15 -Absinthe-
Member since 2008 • 4181 Posts

I left school at 16, worked for about 4 years until I discovered my true interests and then persued these interests into education.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I just took a year off after I passed high school. Working in a store right now to pass some time. I didn't take a year off to decide what to do, I just took a "free of worries" year off. Many people disagreed with me, but it's great. You won't get that kind of days until you retire take my word on that. (and others) Anyway, I chose international business and languages. It's the only study that has all classes in english where I live, which appealed me.
pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

After, I graduated high school I decied to either go for business or something that dealt with computers and after finding out all of the math and foreign language classes I would have to take for the computer field I chose business.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

You don't have to even know what you're going to study when you begin college. A lot of people begin by just getting their core curriculum out of the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Ever since I was a young child, it was impressed upon me that university was the next step after high school. I changed my mind many, many times over the years about what kind of career I'd like to pursue. When I applied to colleges, I put down biology or 'undecided' as my intended majors, and once I chose a college and started registering, I changed the 'undecided' to Computer Science. Now I'm in my second year of university, and I've added Psychology as a second major. I still don't really know wtf I'm doing though. It's something you'll just figure out on your own. Getting the general credits out of the way first is definitely the way to go. Also, trying new things will help you see what you like doing and what you don't like doing, which can help.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I liked math and physics. (particularly of the Newtonian variety) Mechanical engineering seemed to be a shoe in.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I'm out of college and I still don't know what I want to do.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

Find out what you enoy doing and go into that field...

Money isn't everything, unless money is what you enjoy and you don't care about the means of getting the money...

Better to spend you life making less, but enjoying it than to spend your life making more, but hating it.

You only get one life bro - Make it count.

arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

I'm a high school freshman and I am thinking about doing some sort of job requiring the knowledge of several languages. I would advise you to just narrow your options and flip a coin.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
It took me 2 years of college to decide what I wanted to do. Your first two years of classes are 80% general education crap that everyone has to take.
Demonspore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Demonspore
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts

I became a garbage man right out of high school. Making lots of money, with a job that's never going to go away, without wasting money at college or university for a major that I wasn't sure about, and I get to stay in great shape because of the hard work involved. I think I made a good choice.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I'm out of college and I still don't know what I want to do.

Pirate700
Made me laugh.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
I didn't...I went to college for a year and flunked out. I believe it was a good thing though. I had no idea what I wanted to do...without a goal I felt like I was drifting and without goal I just don't care. So now I'm out of college about to go to the Marines and learn a skill there. I know this is a better route then going to college completely lost again.
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts
Im 17 now and a junior. Last year sitting in a gym I came to the conclusion that first I wanted to do atleast four years in the US marine corps. Then I want to go to college and major in political science then run for office somewhere. Maybe oneday senate.
MrSolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrSolvo
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

Well I knew since I had first entered high school that I wanted to join the military. The benefits and the recognition you get from the public were things that really appealed to me. Plus I think I kind of owed it to my parents to get out of the house right after high school and quit making them pay for my **** But I didn't really know what branch I wanted to join. I just know I wanted to be "in the fight" so to speak, so I was leaning towards the Marines or the Army. I just noticed that everyone else I graduated with was going to college and for some reason that just seemed selfish to me. I think too many people are just out for themselves nowadays, I really wanted to do something that would make a difference and require me to sacrifice some things. So I enlisted in the Army, got an Infantry MOS. Got through basic training and AIT from August thru December of last year and just finished Airborne school last week. Now I'm heading into Ranger Assessment selection so I think things are turning out well.

Plus, who doesn't want to shoot weapons and see things explode?

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts
Once you get to college and take a few classes you go with the subject you enjoy learning the most. Don't even worry about the end goal.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Already knew well before. Wanted to be a games programmer when i was in primary then changed to general programmer after i read about the over-time, relatively poor wage and poor job security. The intrest in that direction grew when i got into programming and saw that no matter what you're coding you're doing the same thing. Since then got more intrested in business applications, system administration and data centres. I've never been in the position that i was seriously thinking about careers and didn't atleast know the general direction, i've been aiming for a comp sci degree since i was 6ish.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

I am a high school 12 grader and I still do not know.

Heck, i haven't even applied yet.

EndSociety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EndSociety
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
probably the same way I decided to do things before high school.
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

About a year after high school I decided to join the military and then went into the USAF 2 years after high school.

Meshedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Meshedi
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
I decided on what to do few weeks before I signed up for college after i heard someone i know was working in that field and liked it. I would say choose what kinda things u like to do and see what kinda jobs are available for that field. Its tough for many to choose. Good Luck.