How could anybody believe in God

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

@happinessforyou said:

God is invisible power who knows everything .Some people do not believe in god because they only have faith in what they see.

Oh wow who would of thought. Isn't this a logical way to consider things?

If I tell people I was abducted by aliens and experimented on the previous night, they're going to want some type of proof. But the word of God only requires faith, and questioning that makes me seem absurd by religious people lol

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#252 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I swear, these atheists with a bone to pick are worse than the religious nuts themselves.

The only time people should even give a shit about atheism or religion is when they're trying to implement law that would violate the secular nature of our government.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#253 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@wis3boi said:

@bob_toeback said:

@wis3boi said:

@bob_toeback said:

@wis3boi: I'm not sure how a definition can be a skewed version that society tells you, as it is in society you use the words that are defined. I get what you're saying though. I just think that the terms atheist/theist are two sides of the spectrum and do not include any sense of middle ground. I suppose there are levels to which you are on this spectrum, and an agnostic atheist is where you fit. All good stuff sir.

That's the thing, people think there's a middle ground when there isn't. God is there or he isn't, it's a two option factual question.

I mean in a beliefs sense. Of course there is one or there isn't, but it's not like its provable either way (at this point in time?... not sure there ever will be but who knows) I still think that saying there isn't one, is the same as saying there is one. All up in the air right now

depends on how one defines said god. As I said earlier I'm gnostic on my atheism to the abrahamic god. I think there's enough demonstrable (lack of) evidence and reasoning to show this being is impossible on many accounts. It's one giant cosmic joke of a contradiction, that god.

If anything's a contradiction, it's your claim that you have "demonstrable (lack of) evidence and reasoning"...

You're probably trolling, but I'll bite:

• God is omniscient. When he created the universe, he saw the sufferings which humans would endure as a result of the sin of those original humans. He heard the screams of the damned. Surely he would have known that it would have been better for those humans to never have been born (in fact, the Bible says this very thing), and surely this all-compassionate deity would have foregone the creation of a universe destined to imperfection in which many of the humans were doomed to eternal suffering. A perfectly compassionate being who creates beings which he knows are doomed to suffer is impossible.

• A God who knows the future is powerless to change it. An omniscient God who is all-powerful and freewilled is impossible.

• The Bible contradicts itself on matters of history. A person who reads and compares the contents of the Bible will be confused about exactly who Esau's wives were, whether Timnah was a concubine or a son, and whether Jesus' earthly lineage is through Solomon or his brother Nathan. These are but a few of hundreds of documented historical contradictions. If the Bible cannot confirm itself in mundane earthly matters, how are we to trust it on moral and spiritual matters?

• Consider all of the people who live in the remote regions of the world who have never even heard the "gospel" of Jesus Christ. Consider the people who have naturally adhered to the religion of their parents and nation as they had been taught to do since birth. If we are to believe the Christians, all of these people will perish in the eternal fire for not believing in Jesus. It does not matter how just, kind, and generous they have been with their fellow humans during their lifetime: if they do not accept the gospel of Jesus, they are condemned. No just God would ever judge a man by his beliefs rather than his actions.

• A God who knows everything cannot have emotions. The Bible says that God experiences all of the emotions of humans, including anger, sadness, and happiness. We humans experience emotions as a result of new knowledge. A man who had formerly been ignorant of his wife's infidelity will experience the emotions of anger and sadness only after he has learned what had previously been hidden. In contrast, the omniscient God is ignorant of nothing. Nothing is hidden from him, nothing new may be revealed to him, so there is no gained knowledge to which he may emotively react.

We humans experience anger and frustration when something is wrong which we cannot fix. The perfect, omnipotent God, however, can fix anything. Humans experience longing for things we lack. The perfect God lacks nothing. An omniscient, omnipotent, and perfect God who experiences emotion is impossible.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@airshocker said:

I swear, these atheists with a bone to pick are worse than the religious nuts themselves.

The only time people should even give a shit about atheism or religion is when they're trying to implement law that would violate the secular nature of our government.

What about when dumb****s come to my house and attempt to convert me?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#255 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@Jag85 said:

@wis3boi said:

@bob_toeback said:

@wis3boi said:

@bob_toeback said:

@wis3boi: I'm not sure how a definition can be a skewed version that society tells you, as it is in society you use the words that are defined. I get what you're saying though. I just think that the terms atheist/theist are two sides of the spectrum and do not include any sense of middle ground. I suppose there are levels to which you are on this spectrum, and an agnostic atheist is where you fit. All good stuff sir.

That's the thing, people think there's a middle ground when there isn't. God is there or he isn't, it's a two option factual question.

I mean in a beliefs sense. Of course there is one or there isn't, but it's not like its provable either way (at this point in time?... not sure there ever will be but who knows) I still think that saying there isn't one, is the same as saying there is one. All up in the air right now

depends on how one defines said god. As I said earlier I'm gnostic on my atheism to the abrahamic god. I think there's enough demonstrable (lack of) evidence and reasoning to show this being is impossible on many accounts. It's one giant cosmic joke of a contradiction, that god.

If anything's a contradiction, it's your claim that you have "demonstrable (lack of) evidence and reasoning"...

You're probably trolling, but I'll bite:

• God is omniscient. When he created the universe, he saw the sufferings which humans would endure as a result of the sin of those original humans. He heard the screams of the damned. Surely he would have known that it would have been better for those humans to never have been born (in fact, the Bible says this very thing), and surely this all-compassionate deity would have foregone the creation of a universe destined to imperfection in which many of the humans were doomed to eternal suffering. A perfectly compassionate being who creates beings which he knows are doomed to suffer is impossible.

• A God who knows the future is powerless to change it. An omniscient God who is all-powerful and freewilled is impossible.

• The Bible contradicts itself on matters of history. A person who reads and compares the contents of the Bible will be confused about exactly who Esau's wives were, whether Timnah was a concubine or a son, and whether Jesus' earthly lineage is through Solomon or his brother Nathan. These are but a few of hundreds of documented historical contradictions. If the Bible cannot confirm itself in mundane earthly matters, how are we to trust it on moral and spiritual matters?

• Consider all of the people who live in the remote regions of the world who have never even heard the "gospel" of Jesus Christ. Consider the people who have naturally adhered to the religion of their parents and nation as they had been taught to do since birth. If we are to believe the Christians, all of these people will perish in the eternal fire for not believing in Jesus. It does not matter how just, kind, and generous they have been with their fellow humans during their lifetime: if they do not accept the gospel of Jesus, they are condemned. No just God would ever judge a man by his beliefs rather than his actions.

• A God who knows everything cannot have emotions. The Bible says that God experiences all of the emotions of humans, including anger, sadness, and happiness. We humans experience emotions as a result of new knowledge. A man who had formerly been ignorant of his wife's infidelity will experience the emotions of anger and sadness only after he has learned what had previously been hidden. In contrast, the omniscient God is ignorant of nothing. Nothing is hidden from him, nothing new may be revealed to him, so there is no gained knowledge to which he may emotively react.

We humans experience anger and frustration when something is wrong which we cannot fix. The perfect, omnipotent God, however, can fix anything. Humans experience longing for things we lack. The perfect God lacks nothing. An omniscient, omnipotent, and perfect God who experiences emotion is impossible.

Oh, you mean the Christian God... Nevermind then.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#257 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

Faith means believing in what can't be scientifically proven. Hell, look at a history textbook. You believe everything in it, why? Because some scholar put some words on paper about it a thousand years ago? Maybe you believe that people's health care premiums won't go up, why? Because Obama read a teleprompter that told you so?

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#258  Edited By ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@mystic_knight: aliens

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By DonQuixote
Member since 2013 • 126 Posts

It appears that most people believe in god because it is comforting. They do not have sophisticated coping skills, and the only way they can get through this horror that is life is through lying to themselves in the form of pretending they know things they simply do not. These things include the following: believing that there is a god that cares about them, that there is a perfect life after death, that god has a plan for them the ends with some sort of great reward... or whatever else along those lines.

Praisedasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Praisedasun
Member since 2013 • 504 Posts

Seriously,when did gamespot turn into /r/ atheism?

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I can think of multiple reasons why people believe in God, all which I don't agree with. But hey if it makes them sleep at night, why should I care what they believe? Only after a religious person begins acting smug, self-righteous, and/or force their personal beliefs on me in ways that affect my life is when they begin to bother me. Do they bother me enough to complain? Depends. I try to stay away from religious arguments in real life as much as I can do seeing religious people tend to get pissed off when you try to figure out their beliefs or way of thinking with questions....

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Throughout human history people have believed in thousands of gods and there has been zero proof of any of these thousands of gods having actually existed.

Going by old books, such as the bible, god used appear on a regular bases, same with a lot of other mythologies.

Why does this no longer happen? Why is it all 'faith' based now? When did all gods get shy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#264 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

It always perplexes me how there are so many people who laugh at science, yet cannot provide an explanation to prove it wrong. I can't make the conclusion whether or not god exists, but I can make the conclusion that everything we've come across so far was explained by science in one way or another. Science isn't black magic, it's just observation of the universe. If you completely blindfold yourself and believe that the world is 2000 years old, you are in no position to judge scientists and the people who are actually pushing the world forward.

Not that having religion is BAD, it definitely isn't. Anyone who's taken science knows that being sure of something and keeping a closed mind is what held us back in the first place. I only don't like those who believe that their specific religion is the only possible belief. That is by far the most ignorant and deranged belief I have ever seen.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 wis3boi

@Praisedasun said:

Seriously,when did gamespot turn into /r/ atheism?

**** that sub

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

You do not have to believe in a particular religion but to not take things from various sources of education, history and experiences and conclude that your simple ass is here just to consume is rather narrow minded.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#267 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

@wis3boi said:

It's not a belief system. This is why so many religious folk have a hard time having a discussion with the opposition

so basically you believe in handful of scientific theory and learn science from Richard Jocking.

Science Never prove God doesnot exist. (inb4 unicorn jokes)

but science has proved God exist and universe. science proved there is creator of universe.

every thing has creator. if small machine cant create itself than how universe?

hahahahaha

Love ya Snipes

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#268  Edited By THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

@chaoscougar1 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@wis3boi said:

It's not a belief system. This is why so many religious folk have a hard time having a discussion with the opposition

so basically you believe in handful of scientific theory and learn science from Richard Jocking.

Science Never prove God doesnot exist. (inb4 unicorn jokes)

but science has proved God exist and universe. science proved there is creator of universe.

every thing has creator. if small machine cant create itself than how universe?

hahahahaha

Love ya Snipes

I would laugh with you too, but being a scientist causes me to cry internally at statements like that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#269  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@donquixote said:

It appears that most people believe in god because it is comforting. They do not have sophisticated coping skills, and the only way they can get through this horror that is life is through lying to themselves in the form of pretending they know things they simply do not. These things include the following: believing that there is a god that cares about them, that there is a perfect life after death, that god has a plan for them the ends with some sort of great reward... or whatever else along those lines.

Not really. The majority of people who believe in God tend to come from poorer and/or third-world backgrounds, whereas the majority of people who don't believe in God tend to come from wealthier and/or first-world backgrounds. Poorer people who cope with more difficulties in life are more likely to believe in God, and in a sense, this is partly the reason why poorer people tend to have better "coping skills" than wealthier people (whose "first-world problems" pale in comparison).

Blizz87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Blizz87
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I believe it God/Jesus simply because I had a personal super natural encounter with him at a young age. Have had many near death experiences in my life and there is no other logical explanation as to why I am still alive is God. Science or luck doesn't make sense at all in my case.

When I was 6 I nearly drowned at Water Country U.S.A theme park. I was unconscious for a while and during that time I was in a tunnel like a dream, but there was a bright light and a figure with his arms open. I felt a calm and peace and knew it was Jesus. But was revived by a life guard. Since that day, I made the decision to follow Christ, I am 25 now. And I have a few other near death experiences.

A family friends baby was declared dead by doctors for about 20 mins and a pastor came and prayed and instantly the child started breathing again, after doctors and EMT's did all they could. Again, I don't think that was luck or science.

So that is a few examples on why I believe that God/ Jesus is real.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@Jag85 said:

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source. They are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who - in their grudge against the traditional "opium for the people" - cannot bear the music of the spheres. The Wonder of nature does not become smaller because one cannot measure it by the standards of human moral and human aims."

- Albert Einstein

Fanatical is the key word.

Any atheist who actively engages the religious in futile debates, occupies his thought with the topic of religion, profile people through religious affiliation or the lack of it, or think of the necessity that everyone must reject religion is a fanatical atheist, to a certain extent that is.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#272  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Any atheist who actively engages the religious in futile debates, occupies his thought with the topic of religion, profile people through religious affiliation or the lack of it, or think of the necessity that everyone must reject religion is a fanatical atheist, to a certain extent that is.

That's a mighty big generalization. Many atheists engage anyone and everyone in debates regarding religion because of their interest in how other people think and believe, without any intention to convert them away from, or towards any position. Fanatical atheists tend to be adolescents, usually from a highly religious background, rebelling against their parent's tradition, to try and stand out amongst their peers and feel like they are somehow different from the rest.

Then there are trolls, and it's hard to tell the difference.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@GazaAli said:

That's a mighty big generalization. Many atheists engage anyone and everyone in debates regarding religion because of their interest in how other people think and believe, without any intention to convert them away from, or towards any position. Fanatical atheists tend to be adolescents, usually from a highly religious background, rebelling against their parent's tradition, to try and stand out amongst their peers and feel like they are somehow different from the rest.

Then there are trolls, and it's hard to tell the difference.

I'm torn between what I said and this view. One might say that the topic of religion is an interesting one so I feel its exciting to read on the subject and engage others in it. On the other hand it could also be said that, from an atheist point of view, religion is nothing but an illusion that limits one potential and fulfillment in life so I must steer clear from it. Any attempt for an atheist to be involved in the topic of religion can be perceived as fanaticism or incomplete transition away from religion, and this doesn't necessarily have to be consciously made aware of.

I lean towards the second point of view. If religion is a work of fiction, I see no reason to be actively involved in it. You may read about it, but I don't see the benefit of engaging the religious on the topic.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By foxhound_fox

@GazaAli said:

One might say that the topic of religion is an interesting one so I feel its exciting to read on the subject and engage others in it.

It's incredibly interesting, and one need not express any religious beliefs in order to find it interesting.

On the other hand it could also be said that, from an atheist point of view, religion is nothing but an illusion that limits one potential and fulfillment in life so I must steer clear from it.

Who says this?

Any attempt for an atheist to be involved in the topic of religion can be perceived as fanaticism or incomplete transition away from religion, and this doesn't necessarily have to be consciously made aware of.

Then that is the problem of those who view an atheist involving themselves in a discussion or debate, and no fault of the position or the person ascribing to an atheist point of view.

I lean towards the second point of view. If religion is a work of fiction, I see no reason to be actively involved in it. You may read about it, but I don't see the benefit of engaging the religious on the topic.

Religion could be a work of fiction and still have a profound effect on people's lives. An atheist may be interested as to why this occurs, or could be searching for an answer themselves despite not actively believing. It's obvious you don't interact much with people outside your belief system in real life situations. You make a lot of assumptions based on internet generalizations.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

*Insert know it all opinion here* F**** off.

xr791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By xr791
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I believe in God. Not only have I by accident astral projected repeatedly, but articles and books I've read later on from psychics definitely fits with the experiences I've had. Also... they say life started from a one cell, but that wouldn't seem to explain where trees and plants come from. I mean... trees and plants grow from out of the ground, not descend from some animal. I can't say I believe in evolution either. If someone asked me, I'd say no I don't believe in evolution. I mean... you can't prove blue birds descended from some other, different species. Even if they did descend from some other, different species, it wouldn't say anything about if some entity put the universe here or not.

I believe you go to Heaven and/or the astral realm(s) after you pass away, and that you often visit there when dreaming (subconscious). You see your family and friends there and know you're all souls and can reincarnate into the material realm to learn more lessons, if you want. I believe it's from the material realm where lessons are learned. Pretty much I believe God created the material realm so our souls have something to interact with other than the spiritual realm.

I'd like to go to church more. I read the Bible at times.

I also get the feeling many young people are just saying they don't believe in God to look cool/think it's the popular trend at the moment. I bet very few would be able to explain what evolution even is. They're too scared to have a distinct view of their own, so they act like what their friends act like at the moment to fit in.

Evolution, liberalism and the gay agenda are being promoted by the media, and many young people do whatever is popular to fit in. An example is... the media told people that they should hate Sarah Palin, and even today, many people out there will claim they hate Sarah Palin even though they aren't sure why. To many young people, it's also not cool to like Miley Cyrus for some reason... so they claim they don't... and again... they don't know why.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By wis3boi

@xr791 said:

I believe in God. Not only have I by accident astral projected repeatedly, but articles and books I've read later on from psychics definitely fits with the experiences I've had. Also... they say life started from a one cell, but that wouldn't seem to explain where trees and plants come from. I mean... trees and plants grow from out of the ground, not descend from some animal. I can't say I believe in evolution either. If someone asked me, I'd say no I don't believe in evolution. I mean... you can't prove blue birds descended from some other, different species. Even if they did descend from some other, different species, it wouldn't say anything about if some entity put the universe here or not.

I believe you go to Heaven and/or the astral realm(s) after you pass away, and that you often visit there when dreaming (subconscious). You see your family and friends there and know you're all souls and can reincarnate into the material realm to learn more lessons, if you want. I believe it's from the material realm where lessons are learned. Pretty much I believe God created the material realm so our souls have something to interact with other than the spiritual realm.

I'd like to go to church more. I read the Bible at times.

lol

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@the_plan_man said:

@HoolaHoopMan: God used evolution as a tool for creation. Many Christians do not use a literal interpretation of Genesis, but use passages more metaphorically when understanding the text.

This is the funny part.

When you question the illogical things in the bible, it's always "a metaphor"

Many of the non-literal interpretations of the bible pre-date modern science

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@the_plan_man said:

@HoolaHoopMan: God used evolution as a tool for creation. Many Christians do not use a literal interpretation of Genesis, but use passages more metaphorically when understanding the text.

I have a question for those who believe in the Biblical God AND evolution:

Who was the first man capable of receiving salvation and why can't his father receive the same?

I got a better one:

If you believe in both and are not a young earther....

I'll take a conservative estimate of 100,000 years that modern humans have been walking around. You have to believe the this higher power/heaven sat around watching with indifference for 98,000 years. "Oh look, they're raping, killing, and pillaging again...ah well, what can ya do?" Then around 0AD, decides "No enough of this" and makes a copy of himself in human form to tell the world of his important message for mankind. His message is also (poorly) recounted in holy texts in languages that die off and are poorly translated. Then he sacrifices himself, to himself, to save you from what he created, acting as a loophole for his own laws. It all basically ends there and he hasn't done a thing since.

This is all at one speck of time, at one speck of the ancient world, on one planet in a galaxy in a universe with countless billions of galaxies. It doesn't map to reality to anyone other than people trying to make it fit.

I didn't know Christopher Hitchens posted on gamespot. Should give him credit for this argument next time (pretty sure he was the first one to use it).

The problem here is that Hitchens assumes that god "sat around for 100,000 years" which isn't what Christians believe. He's attacking a view that doesn't exist.

The point at the end about the size of the universe is irrelevant.

As for "Who was the first man capable of receiving salvation and why can't his father receive the same?"

• All people are capable of receiving salvation.
HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

It wouldn't be OT without a daily dose of pretentious atheism

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

@mjf249: There is proof, people either just do not feel it is good enough or a lie and it will always be that way; I can see people always thinking it is a lie no matter what, unless they believe in god; even though the people who have had the NDE seem so true to what they said they experienced. Some people are not going to believe something they have not experienced and the afterlife has nothing to do with science, so it cannot be proven by scientific ways obviously. In fact people who have had NDE have had a difficult time explaining certain things about what they had experienced, because many things could not be explained or comprehended in our way of life; it be impossible, heaven does not have logic. Everything in heaven from what I researched from NDE, is more real than here, it be impossible to prove if it exist if it does not exist, because it cannot even be understood based upon our standards or our way of life.

The proof is from the people who have had an NDE experience, not from stories or a book that most likely became inaccurate overtime.

I have faith, I have no other choice but to have faith because I despise this world strongly and I want to go to heaven so badly; if I do not believe in heaven, I know that if heaven in hell really does exist, I will most likely go to hell and I acknowledge it will be eternal and no one will help me. I see no reason not to believe in heaven, for if I did not believe in heaven, I would have no hope left while alive. I already have misfortune while I am alive, if I had no hope for an afterlife, I have nothing to look forward to and simply worry about not existing after death. Why have no hope at all? You seemed to have gone through a lot, why have no hope?

I wish to make changes when I enter the afterlife, although I may not be able to. I wish to find a way to save everyone who has gone to hell and I wish to find a way for hell to no longer exist. If life is bad for me now, I rather have some hope, than not any at all and assume I will just die. Also, you are not to believe all the stories anyways, how do you know the stories were not altered but that god really does exist? I know you will not believe this, but a person did have an NDE where god explained to them that there was a reason why what the person learned on earth (as well as many others into religion), about religion and what they learned when they went to heaven from having an NDE was totally different from what they learned from religion while on earth; this most likely is a result of things changing over time and becoming less true or inaccurate to the point where no one would believe it; religion has probably been through changes and alteration almost since the begging of time. Even if you do not believe the stories or the bible, that does not mean god does not exist. God could exist but all the stories and the bible are inaccurate. The bible should be inaccurate anyways, because I do not believe it was originally in the English language and if the bible is said to contradict it self, well of course it is inaccurate.

I do not support religion much, I just believe in god and acknowledge that religion may be an inaccuracy of what god and heaven actually is. Also, in cases where people should not have been able to survive and doctors have been unable to figure out how they did, how do you explain this scientifically? My point exactly.

@Nibroc420: What about when dumb****s come to my house and attempt to convert me?

They most likely want you to be saved, why get mad at them?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 foxhound_fox
@xr791 said:

I can't say I believe in evolution either.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@xr791 said:

I can't say I believe in evolution either.

I for one haven't experienced evolution first-hand.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 foxhound_fox
@bob_toeback said:

I haven't experienced a black hole first-hand.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#285 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

God exists, God doesn't. I don't know. What I do know is that I give no thanks, much less worship, any being or force that has placed me here.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@bob_toeback said:

I haven't experienced a black hole first-hand.

So how do you know it exists?

Anyways, I'm just saying that to believe these things we have to believe the 'research' that has been put into it, without really needing to see it. Some people believe the bible, some people believe research. It's obviously different, just saying though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

God exists, God doesn't. I don't know. What I do know is that I give no thanks, much less worship, any being or force that has placed me here.

As the saying goes; if you don't stand for anything, you will fall pray to anything

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@glitter said:

@mjf249: There is proof, people either just do not feel it is good enough or a lie and it will always be that way; I can see people always thinking it is a lie no matter what, unless they believe in god; even though the people who have had the NDE seem so true to what they said they experienced. Some people are not going to believe something they have not experienced and the afterlife has nothing to do with science, so it cannot be proven by scientific ways obviously. In fact people who have had NDE have had a difficult time explaining certain things about what they had experienced, because many things could not be explained or comprehended in our way of life; it be impossible, heaven does not have logic. Everything in heaven from what I researched from NDE, is more real than here, it be impossible to prove if it exist if it does not exist, because it cannot even be understood based upon our standards or our way of life.

The proof is from the people who have had an NDE experience, not from stories or a book that most likely became inaccurate overtime.

I have faith, I have no other choice but to have faith because I despise this world strongly and I want to go to heaven so badly; if I do not believe in heaven, I know that if heaven in hell really does exist, I will most likely go to hell and I acknowledge it will be eternal and no one will help me. I see no reason not to believe in heaven, for if I did not believe in heaven, I would have no hope left while alive. I already have misfortune while I am alive, if I had no hope for an afterlife, I have nothing to look forward to and simply worry about not existing after death. Why have no hope at all? You seemed to have gone through a lot, why have no hope?

I wish to make changes when I enter the afterlife, although I may not be able to. I wish to find a way to save everyone who has gone to hell and I wish to find a way for hell to no longer exist. If life is bad for me now, I rather have some hope, than not any at all and assume I will just die. Also, you are not to believe all the stories anyways, how do you know the stories were not altered but that god really does exist? I know you will not believe this, but a person did have an NDE where god explained to them that there was a reason why what the person learned on earth (as well as many others into religion), about religion and what they learned when they went to heaven from having an NDE was totally different from what they learned from religion while on earth; this most likely is a result of things changing over time and becoming less true or inaccurate to the point where no one would believe it; religion has probably been through changes and alteration almost since the begging of time. Even if you do not believe the stories or the bible, that does not mean god does not exist. God could exist but all the stories and the bible are inaccurate. The bible should be inaccurate anyways, because I do not believe it was originally in the English language and if the bible is said to contradict it self, well of course it is inaccurate.

I do not support religion much, I just believe in god and acknowledge that religion may be an inaccuracy of what god and heaven actually is. Also, in cases where people should not have been able to survive and doctors have been unable to figure out how they did, how do you explain this scientifically? My point exactly.

@Nibroc420: What about when dumb****s come to my house and attempt to convert me?

They most likely want you to be saved, why get mad at them?

Near death experiences have been disproved. It's caused by an increase in hormones that cause you to hallucinate.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

Faith means believing in what can't be scientifically proven. Hell, look at a history textbook. You believe everything in it, why? Because some scholar put some words on paper about it a thousand years ago? Maybe you believe that people's health care premiums won't go up, why? Because Obama read a teleprompter that told you so?

There is a difference that makes your analogy flawed. We trust experts in science, history, etc. because we know we have finite time and resources to apply ourselves to researching all possible knowledge ourselves. But WERE we to dedicate our lives to (say) one of these pursuits as these experts have, we know we could learn what they have learned (or yes, possibly learn the untruth of same). However, there is no way to confirm the same with religion, whether we applied ourselves or not.

There is, to my mind, a big difference between putting "faith", if that's what you want to call it, in those broadcasting the provable (with, btw, comprehensive confirmation from many others who have also researched and verified), and putting faith in the unprovable.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

Using the Bible as evidence of Jesus is like using the Lord of the Rings to prove the existence of Hobbits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

@toast_burner: I will respect your opinion and continue to have faith.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By foxhound_fox
@bob_toeback said:

So how do you know it exists?

Anyways, I'm just saying that to believe these things we have to believe the 'research' that has been put into it, without really needing to see it. Some people believe the bible, some people believe research. It's obviously different, just saying though.

The beauty of that research, is that you can check their answers to see if they are actually right. We do not accept science based on faith that it is right, we can KNOW that it is right by testing it ourselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@glitter said:

I'm not saying their is no god. But saying near death experiences are evidence for it's existence is factually wrong. Just give up that idea and carry on.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 foxhound_fox
@toast_burner said:

@glitter said:

I'm not saying their is no god. But saying near death experiences are evidence for it's existence is factually wrong. Just give up that idea and carry on.

Trying to justify faith will always lead to disappointment.

Praisedasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Praisedasun
Member since 2013 • 504 Posts

Why bump this pathetic excuse of a thread?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Let's just leave these old threads dead and buried.