How could anybody believe in God

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mjf249
#1 Edited by mjf249 (3000 posts) -

Since I've grown older I started realizing and convinced that God does not exist. Where is the proof? I've even changed my view on "paranormal shows", and watch them mostly because everybody enjoys a good ghost story, at least me anyway.

Also to those believe in God, how can you be so sure that he does exist? I felt like science has explained a lot about our evolution. I read a bible long ago and found most of the stories just hogwash.

I never had my father or any other family member ever after they passed away try to contact me. And to those who do believe that there is an afterlife, would you enjoy being in heaven? I mean I thought about it, they say that you feel love and warmth. Like what were just going to sit in his kingdom and be happy forever?

Most of my other family is religious, I was raised as a catholic, but lost touch with it recently. The idea of God, heaven, and hell exist is just a fairy tale. The universe is so huge, how could we be the only intelligent civilization? Despite the fact that we have never found any signals in space to prove intelligent life, signals in space can take thousands, millions, or even billions of years to travel across space depending on the distance.

Avatar image for m25105
#2 Posted by m25105 (3135 posts) -

Look guys, an atheist on the internet obsessed with religion.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#3 Posted by foxhound_fox (97101 posts) -

@m25105 said:

Look guys, an atheist on the internet obsessed with religion.

Looks guys, a person on the internet obsessed with pointing this out.

Avatar image for 5dlrbill
#4 Posted by 5dlrbill (103 posts) -

Believing in god and doing what he says is two different things, even demons believe in god your lack of faith is weak an it shows on your poste, god and believing in him is a personal relationship with him and keeping to his commandments we all fall short but that's why I need God he helps me get back up.

Avatar image for m25105
#5 Posted by m25105 (3135 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@m25105 said:

Look guys, an atheist on the internet obsessed with religion.

Looks guys, a person on the internet obsessed with pointing this out.

I look forward to not reading your eventual 100 paragraph long rant and opinion on why religion sucks.

Avatar image for mystic_knight
#6 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

How can you be so sure God doesn't exist. There is no evidence proving otherwise. Its why we call it a belief.

If there were answers for everything in this world, that would be wonderful, but there isn't hence why belief factors in. Science can only go so far, even then it can not explain origins.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
#7 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (226 posts) -

You have no real proof that he does not exist. If your crutch is science is becoming more and more advanced and being able to explain a lot more. That little crutch won't hold you up when you walk up to the pearly gates to be judged.

Avatar image for m25105
#8 Edited by m25105 (3135 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

How can you be so sure God doesn't exist. There is no evidence proving otherwise. Its why we call it a belief.

If there were answers for everything in this world, that would be wonderful, but there isn't hence why belief factors in. Science can only go so far, even then it can not explain origins.

The problem is that many think God = Religion. So if they find flaws in religion, instead of thinking that the religion is wrong, they assume that there's no God. It boils down to whether people believing if something/someone created everything as we know, or that everything popped out of no where via magic.

Avatar image for stev69
#9 Edited by stev69 (159 posts) -

I guess some people just need reassurance that there is a bigger picture to be part of, when in actual fact when some guy gets knifed in the street and is DOA for the sake of a few bucks in his wallet, you could argue a human life seems pretty insignificant. It isn't surprising some might find that assessment pretty bleak, and if their faith (blind or not) gets them through another day, who is anyone to knock it.

Granted like all religious activities some take it to an over zealous extent but people will always do that whether it be the religious application of a spiritual faith or even the religious pursuit of a scientific study. Sporting fans will actually fight one another because they support different teams for example, how dumb is that? Fanatics and stupid people come from all walks of life,

I used to think that people who let themselves be guided by ancient texts such as the bible were merely deluded, these days im more inclined to just take a live and let live approach.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#10 Edited by foxhound_fox (97101 posts) -

@m25105 said:

I look forward to not reading your eventual 100 paragraph long rant and opinion on why religion sucks.

I can't say I've ever said religion "sucks".

Avatar image for junglist101
#11 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

@5dlrbill said:

Believing in god and doing what he says is two different things, even demons believe in god your lack of faith is weak an it shows on your poste, god and believing in him is a personal relationship with him and keeping to his commandments we all fall short but that's why I need God he helps me get back up.

I guess you haven't asked God to help you with your grammar?

Avatar image for wis3boi
#12 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@m25105 said:

I look forward to not reading your eventual 100 paragraph long rant and opinion on why religion sucks.

I can't say I've ever said religion "sucks".

As an antitheist, I'll yell it for you

Avatar image for mjf249
#13 Posted by mjf249 (3000 posts) -

@cynical_buzzard: No I won't be judged in the pearly gates. I'll be six feet under, knowing I never existed or aware of everything I experienced throughout life. In fact becoming an atheist has made me a lot happier in life, and appreciate my time with friends, and family, even though that one day I won't ever be aware or conciousness.

And in all honesty science has explained our understanding of the human body. Not only that but how could God be so cruel, don't you people see? And please tell me why there are so many different Religions with people worshipping so many Gods?

Even than all this "God Bless the USA", and how much of an emphasize that God's on our side... Ha. If anything religion has caused more harm than good.

You of course are entitled to your opinion and beliefs but please back your statements up that God does exist. And no the Bible don't count. That was most likely written by people to keep humanity in check, and and for people who cannot accept death.

As I said, if you believe in it, there's no video games, television, music, or any form of entertainment. So your just gonna be in heaven and live happily after. Yeah I just don't buy that... Even than, who would want to live forever.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#14 Posted by themajormayor (25726 posts) -

It makes sense.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#15 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

Because we can?

I don't get this. If you had some enlightenment and decided that God does not exist more power for you. Why do you feel the need to shove that enlightenment down our throats? Its quite ironic since one of the main arguments atheists have against theists is how they're constantly preaching about God and telling people what and what not to believe in. Yet we're having this topic, just like we've had it for a gazillion time whether on the Internet or in real life. I thought the whole idea of atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity and the subsequent complete disregard for the topic of religion altogether, unless you're a scholar or a theologian which is highly doubtful. I thought preaching is left for the clergy.

I'm not attacking atheism or atheists here, its simply a matter of principle and being consistent. The "doctrine" of atheism revolves around the notion of the complete and utter disbelief and disregard of a wholly unfounded and fictional concept: religion that seeks to establish the fact of the existence of an almighty and omnipotent God that created everything and will take it all back. If the doctrine is about that, how is it possible, for its adherents, with the exception of scholars and theologians of atheist origins, to initiate religious debates and quarrels? I'm not sure if my point is getting through, but can't you see the redundancy and dissonance in it? For an atheist of a firm, rational and well-founded affiliation with atheism, starting any sort of conversation or discussion on religion is like starting a debate on unicorns.

Besides that, what are we trying to achieve? We're obviously not going to convince you otherwise and the same goes to you. Let's just shut up, mind our own business and wait until each one of us finds out for himself eventually.

Avatar image for mjf249
#16 Posted by mjf249 (3000 posts) -

@5dlrbill: haha yeah it makes me weak. I accept death although I don't want to die just yet, I have still a lot I want to do and experience. Calling me weak minded because I don't believe in God? How does that make me weak minded? Please explain.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#17 Edited by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

I also love it when an atheist infant goes on every time he has the chance about his family history and how he was raised religious. What a rebel rofl.

Sorry TC if I'm offending, its 5AM in the morning here and I'm sad as ****.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#18 Edited by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

I used to go to church

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#19 Posted by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

Why don't you just ask them?

Avatar image for SolidSnake35
#20 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58797 posts) -

Given our lack of knowledge on most things and that what we do know is mind blowing, it's not so hard to believe. The universe is a crazy place.

I'm not saying that's a reason to believe but a good enough explanation for why some people do believe.

Avatar image for lostrib
#21 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Jesus christ, who cares? Talking to both sides of the coin, keep that shit to yourself.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163324 posts) -

No one cares about what you do or don't believe. Don't preach.....

Avatar image for Nibroc420
#23 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

Low IQ, poor education, indoctrination.

There's a few ways people might still believe in a God.

Avatar image for SolidSnake35
#24 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58797 posts) -
@Nibroc420 said:

Low IQ, poor education, indoctrination.

There's a few ways people might still believe in a God.

Or for picking up religious chicks.

Avatar image for leviathan91
#25 Edited by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

Perhaps it's faith, to thank, or to curse, or it's all three.

For me I think it's just faith.

Avatar image for picklesurprise
#26 Posted by picklesurprise (185 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

No one cares about what you do or don't believe. Don't preach.....

Preach brotha.

Avatar image for -Renegade
#27 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

what we call god is the vibration we translate as unconditional love. there is an infinite creator though that is constantly creating. you yourself are also a creator.

Avatar image for 5dlrbill
#28 Edited by 5dlrbill (103 posts) -

like one guy before me said live and let live your choice, i lose no sleep over this do your own thing i don't have a silver tongue to persuade you.

Avatar image for EagleEyedOne
#29 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1675 posts) -

Every system tends towards equilibrium. The Universe is a large system and God is it's equilibrium.

Avatar image for lostrib
#30 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@EagleEyedOne said:

Every system tends towards equilibrium. The Universe is a large system and God is it's equilibrium.

oh god, not more equilibrium talk

Avatar image for EagleEyedOne
#32 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1675 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

Every system tends towards equilibrium. The Universe is a large system and God is it's equilibrium.

oh god, not more equilibrium talk

What's wrong with it?

Avatar image for lostrib
#33 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@EagleEyedOne: because it makes no sense, and talking to you is like banging my head against a very dense wall.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#34 Edited by MrGeezer (59348 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@m25105 said:

Look guys, an atheist on the internet obsessed with religion.

Looks guys, a person on the internet obsessed with pointing this out.

See, the thing is...you people act like this is some kind of profound and shocking revelation. Guys like this go around acting like you're just trying to spread the truth and enlighten people, but what they're failing to realize is that they're bringing NOTHING new to the table. Everyone's heard this $hit before and it didn't change their beliefs before, so why is it gonna be different this time? This is like when a bum asks you for a dollar and you tell him no, and then he immediately asks you for a dollar again. As if you somehow just had this huge change of heart or radically shifted your thinking within the last minute.

Same thing goes for religious proselytizers. Don't f***ing walk up to me and try to sell me on your religion by telling me how your god loves me or yadda yadda yadda. Do you seriously think I haven't heard that $hit before? If it didn't get me to convert to your religion before, then wtf makes you think this time is gonna be any different? That's sort of giving me pretty much NO credit, it's assuming I'll believe whatever the hell you say just because you said it. And f*** off with that. If you're gonna give me that little credit and treat me with that little respect right from the start, then why would I even take the time to CONSIDER buying what you're selling?

But yeah...everyone has their opinions and that's fine, but people need to at least drop themselves down a few pegs and realize that what they're saying (more often than not) is $hit that everyone already knows. If you're not bringing anything new to the table, then why are you worth my time or attention? Also, don't get lazy. For example, the TC starts off talking about how dumb it is to believe in a god, and then backs that up with claims pertaining to RELIGION. If you're sloppy enough that you use "religion" and "god" interchangeably and think that an argument against one equals and argument against the other, then you're REALLY not worth considering. I'm not even saying that you're wrong, but that you're just lazy and sloppy. And lazy and sloppy is kind of even WORSE than being wrong. You can easily sell people on a lie if you are thorough and do your research, but being obvious and sloppy turns people off right from the start. First impressions, that sort of thing. At least learn how to present your argument in a way that makes you look like someone who knows wtf he's talking about.

Avatar image for EagleEyedOne
#35 Edited by EagleEyedOne (1675 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@EagleEyedOne: because it makes no sense, and talking to you is like banging my head against a very dense wall.

A hollow head banging against a dense wall won't do very much. You can't even provide so much as a sentence to dispute my response to OP.

Avatar image for lostrib
#36 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@EagleEyedOne: because your response doesn't make sense, as I've tried to explain before. It's not worth it to try again

Avatar image for EagleEyedOne
#37 Edited by EagleEyedOne (1675 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@EagleEyedOne: because your response doesn't make sense, as I've tried to explain before. It's not worth it to try again

Please, try again. I don't participate enough in OT to make me care enough to remember the conversations I've had here.

Avatar image for worlock77
#38 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

@m25105 said:

@mystic_knight said:

How can you be so sure God doesn't exist. There is no evidence proving otherwise. Its why we call it a belief.

If there were answers for everything in this world, that would be wonderful, but there isn't hence why belief factors in. Science can only go so far, even then it can not explain origins.

The problem is that many think God = Religion. So if they find flaws in religion, instead of thinking that the religion is wrong, they assume that there's no God. It boils down to whether people believing if something/someone created everything as we know, or that everything popped out of no where via magic.

*Believes an unobservable, unexplainable, vaguely defined entity created everything. Calls observable, explainable phenomena "magic"*

lulz

Avatar image for happinessforyou
#39 Edited by HappinessForYou (33 posts) -

God is invisible power who knows everything .Some people do not believe in god because they only have faith in what they see.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#40 Posted by MrGeezer (59348 posts) -

@worlock77 said:Calls observable, explainable phenomena "magic"*

lulz

See, here's the thing. The UNEXPLAINABLE thing is UNEXPLAINABLE. As in, there is neither a known scientific nor supernatural explanation for it.

Now, personally, I choose to believe that the more likely explanation is the one that relies on known scientific principles rather than unknown supernatural parties. But either way, it's still unexplainable. So let's all just slow the f*** down and start to appreciate how little we know about just about everything.

Avatar image for dave123321
#41 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -

Simmer down people

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#42 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19213 posts) -

It's just an idea that is significant to me and me only.

I can still rationalize things and put things in perspective, but my connection with a higher entity is sort of like the relationship I have with myself and the world I live in. It's being intimate to yourself in a way, but I use God as a way to describe that feeling.

I don't practice religion so I'm not a follower of any god but my own.

Avatar image for deeliman
#43 Posted by deeliman (3831 posts) -

Lol people still believe in god?

Flying spaghetti monster is where it's at now.

Avatar image for thegerg
#44 Posted by thegerg (18425 posts) -

It's possible that they were raised that way or have had some type of personal experience that leads them to believe that a god exists.

"Also to those believe in God, how can you be so sure that he does exist?"

In the same way that you can be sure a god doesn't exist.

"I felt like science has explained a lot about our evolution"

You'e right, but that doesn't mean that a god doesn't exist.

" The universe is so huge, how could we be the only intelligent civilization? "

What does this have to do with a god?

Avatar image for Born_Lucky
#45 Posted by Born_Lucky (1730 posts) -


Books that encourage atheism are allowed in public schools - but books that encourage Christianity are banned.

No wonder so many people are brainwashed into hating God.

They're robots who have been told what to think and how to think by the government run, public "education" system.

Avatar image for th3warr1or
#46 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Because we can?

I don't get this. If you had some enlightenment and decided that God does not exist more power for you. Why do you feel the need to shove that enlightenment down our throats? Its quite ironic since one of the main arguments atheists have against theists is how they're constantly preaching about God and telling people what and what not to believe in. Yet we're having this topic, just like we've had it for a gazillion time whether on the Internet or in real life. I thought the whole idea of atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity and the subsequent complete disregard for the topic of religion altogether, unless you're a scholar or a theologian which is highly doubtful. I thought preaching is left for the clergy.

I'm not attacking atheism or atheists here, its simply a matter of principle and being consistent. The "doctrine" of atheism revolves around the notion of the complete and utter disbelief and disregard of a wholly unfounded and fictional concept: religion that seeks to establish the fact of the existence of an almighty and omnipotent God that created everything and will take it all back. If the doctrine is about that, how is it possible, for its adherents, with the exception of scholars and theologians of atheist origins, to initiate religious debates and quarrels? I'm not sure if my point is getting through, but can't you see the redundancy and dissonance in it? For an atheist of a firm, rational and well-founded affiliation with atheism, starting any sort of conversation or discussion on religion is like starting a debate on unicorns.

Besides that, what are we trying to achieve? We're obviously not going to convince you otherwise and the same goes to you. Let's just shut up, mind our own business and wait until each one of us finds out for himself eventually.

Wow. I think this may be the first time I've ever agreed with every word you said.

Avatar image for thegerg
#47 Edited by thegerg (18425 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Because we can?

I don't get this. If you had some enlightenment and decided that God does not exist more power for you. Why do you feel the need to shove that enlightenment down our throats? Its quite ironic since one of the main arguments atheists have against theists is how they're constantly preaching about God and telling people what and what not to believe in. Yet we're having this topic, just like we've had it for a gazillion time whether on the Internet or in real life. I thought the whole idea of atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity and the subsequent complete disregard for the topic of religion altogether, unless you're a scholar or a theologian which is highly doubtful. I thought preaching is left for the clergy.

I'm not attacking atheism or atheists here, its simply a matter of principle and being consistent. The "doctrine" of atheism revolves around the notion of the complete and utter disbelief and disregard of a wholly unfounded and fictional concept: religion that seeks to establish the fact of the existence of an almighty and omnipotent God that created everything and will take it all back. If the doctrine is about that, how is it possible, for its adherents, with the exception of scholars and theologians of atheist origins, to initiate religious debates and quarrels? I'm not sure if my point is getting through, but can't you see the redundancy and dissonance in it? For an atheist of a firm, rational and well-founded affiliation with atheism, starting any sort of conversation or discussion on religion is like starting a debate on unicorns.

Besides that, what are we trying to achieve? We're obviously not going to convince you otherwise and the same goes to you. Let's just shut up, mind our own business and wait until each one of us finds out for himself eventually.

"and the subsequent complete disregard for the topic of religion altogether"

Well that's where you thought wrong. Religion is simply a set of beliefs about the cause, nature and purpose of the universe. Nothing about atheism says one can't have beliefs about the universe.

Avatar image for worlock77
#48 Edited by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@worlock77 said:Calls observable, explainable phenomena "magic"*

lulz

See, here's the thing. The UNEXPLAINABLE thing is UNEXPLAINABLE. As in, there is neither a known scientific nor supernatural explanation for it.

Now, personally, I choose to believe that the more likely explanation is the one that relies on known scientific principles rather than unknown supernatural parties. But either way, it's still unexplainable. So let's all just slow the f*** down and start to appreciate how little we know about just about everything.

Well shit, I never would have guessed that something UNEXPLAINABLE is UNEXPLAINABLE. Thank you for that Captain.

Avatar image for LordQuorthon
#49 Posted by LordQuorthon (5744 posts) -

Understanding how the whole burden of proof thing works makes me see those who believe in god more or less as I see people who believe in werewolves or the Yeti. Until they can prove it, what they believe in is nonsense. However, as long as they don't get preachy or try to judge me, I will gladly treat them with nothing but camaraderie and love.

For what it's worth, most believers are far, FAR less annoying and preachy than dipshits that believe in astrology, Feng Shui, and all that kind of crap.

Avatar image for Dogswithguns
#50 Edited by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -

People expecting to be in a happy place after they died, which is heaven.. whatever?!.. Life sux here on earth, and it's gonna sux up in heaven too. why can't they except the fact after you died you're dead.