How come 'murica suck at their own sports except handegg?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#151 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789: What barbaric customs do I condone?

death penalty for one

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#153 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@_Judas_ said:

Norway has won the mose medals when it comes to the Winter Olympics...just sayin'. Everybody knows that the Winter Olympics is where IT IS AT!!

haha

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@airshocker said:

@GazaAli said:

@airshocker said:

1) China frequently targets US citizens for blackmail and extortion. Not to mention I have no urge to support an authoritarian government by giving them tourism revenue.

2) Russia is about as corrupt as China and I also would never support their faux democracy with my money.

If I'm going to travel any where it'll be to places in Europe that don't have quite so many blemishes on their human rights record.

Its just extremely hard to swallow your proposed moral stands and worldviews as genuine and serious. I take it you don't consume products that originate from China? You never touched Russian vodka? Do you have any idea what your tax money is being spent on? You go out of your way to make sure that none of your money will ever get to the hands of those who will abuse it from the perspective of your alleged moral code?

I don't know. It may be true for all I know, but I just can't get myself to buy into the hype.

What moral stands? China's government is authoritarian. What I perceive to be immoral has nothing to do with that fact. Russia isn't quite as bad, but they're pretty close. Also, their criminal behavior towards Western tourists is tracked very closely by the FBI and Interpol.

Actually, yes I do try not to buy things that come from China, though it's not always practical. I make up for it by never using luxury services that come from them and, as I've already said, by never giving them tourism revenue.

Since you aren't an American I guess I can forgive the fact that you don't realize I don't have a direct say in how my tax money gets spent. Federal income taxes get taken out of my pay check automatically, so I can't even decide to stop giving them money unless I want me and my family to starve to death. Obviously I don't expect you to give a shit about that, I'm only telling you to forestall the inevitable: "Derp, you don't have to pay those taxes! You can always quit!"

I really don't care what you think is hard to swallow. You aren't somebody whose opinion I value, considering your view on basic human rights is so wildly different from my own.

I think once again you're confused air. These are moral stands. Your perception of China's government as authoritarian, the way you closely associate Russia's government with how abysmal China's is and the measures you take in order to make sure that you're not supporting these regimes which, according to you, are immoral and criminal are all moral stands. You seem to feel strongly about it too which is often indicative of sentiment which is in turn often expressive of moral/ideological stands.

I'm going to take your word for it and give you credit for the fact that you actually go out of your way and try to do something about it. You may not be an all words no action kind of guy after all.
On a somehow different note I'm aware of the general workings of the American tax system so I know that one cannot really control how his tax money gets spent. This was supposed to be more of an evidence supporting my initial premise that what you proposed to adhere to is largely impractical and barely possible, something that you have corroborated yourself.

It's a shame that you feel this way about me just because we share wildly different views on a number of topics. Personally I never understood how people like you operate, it remains a mystery to me.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 commander

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

You're a liar (I already knew this to be true, but you're continuing to prove that fact). I do not condone the death penalty.

yes you do, you live there

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

You're a liar (I already knew this to be true, but you're continuing to prove that fact). I do not condone the death penalty.

You have no clue what you are talking about.....as usual.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@airshocker said:

@GazaAli said:

@airshocker said:

1) China frequently targets US citizens for blackmail and extortion. Not to mention I have no urge to support an authoritarian government by giving them tourism revenue.

2) Russia is about as corrupt as China and I also would never support their faux democracy with my money.

If I'm going to travel any where it'll be to places in Europe that don't have quite so many blemishes on their human rights record.

Its just extremely hard to swallow your proposed moral stands and worldviews as genuine and serious. I take it you don't consume products that originate from China? You never touched Russian vodka? Do you have any idea what your tax money is being spent on? You go out of your way to make sure that none of your money will ever get to the hands of those who will abuse it from the perspective of your alleged moral code?

I don't know. It may be true for all I know, but I just can't get myself to buy into the hype.

What moral stands? China's government is authoritarian. What I perceive to be immoral has nothing to do with that fact. Russia isn't quite as bad, but they're pretty close. Also, their criminal behavior towards Western tourists is tracked very closely by the FBI and Interpol.

Actually, yes I do try not to buy things that come from China, though it's not always practical. I make up for it by never using luxury services that come from them and, as I've already said, by never giving them tourism revenue.

Since you aren't an American I guess I can forgive the fact that you don't realize I don't have a direct say in how my tax money gets spent. Federal income taxes get taken out of my pay check automatically, so I can't even decide to stop giving them money unless I want me and my family to starve to death. Obviously I don't expect you to give a shit about that, I'm only telling you to forestall the inevitable: "Derp, you don't have to pay those taxes! You can always quit!"

I really don't care what you think is hard to swallow. You aren't somebody whose opinion I value, considering your view on basic human rights is so wildly different from my own.

I think once again you're confused air. These are moral stands. Your perception of China's government as authoritarian, the way you closely associate Russia's government with how abysmal China's is and the measures you take in order to make sure that you're not supporting these regimes which, according to you, are immoral and criminal are all moral stands. You seem to feel strongly about it too which is often indicative of sentiment which is in turn often expressive of moral/ideological stands.

I'm going to take your word for it and give you credit for the fact that you actually go out of your way and try to do something about it. You may not be an all words no action kind of guy after all.

On a somehow different note I'm aware of the general workings of the American tax system so I know that one cannot really control how his tax money gets spent. This was supposed to be more of an evidence supporting my initial premise that what you proposed to adhere to is largely impractical and barely possible, something that you have corroborated yourself.

It's a shame that you feel this way about me just because we share wildly different views on a number of topics. Personally I never understood how people like you operate, it remains a mystery to me.

No, they aren't moral stands. Saying that China has an authoritarian government is a fact. It has nothing to do with morality. Saying I believe authoritarian governments are BAD is a moral stand. I didn't say that, however.

What I proposed to adhere to is perfectly practical. While I can't control what my government does(and mind you I never said I could) I can control what I do.

Well, you continue to attack and insult me in every other thread. So I'm not sure why you don't understood the animosity between us.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 commander

@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

so there's no death penalty?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 LJS9502_basic

@evildead6789 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

Not using the US as the standard....which you did. Educate yourself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

Don't be an idiot. Just because someone lives somewhere doesn't mean they support something. I live in one of the most heavily gun-controlled areas of the country and I don't support their flavor of gun control.

Is this really such a hard concept for you to understand?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 commander

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

Don't be an idiot. Just because someone lives somewhere doesn't mean they support something. I live in one of the most heavily gun-controlled areas of the country and I don't support their flavor of gun control.

it must be a hard concept for you

living there and condoning it is the same as someone letting die on the street

but of course that's the american way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

No, it's not. The point is, just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you support it.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Yeah just because I live in the us doesn't mean I can't see it's shitty side nor does it mean that I am happy about what I'm a part of all the time

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#165 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts
@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

This sounds fun, can I play? I live in a place with legal prostitution and drugs, therefore I'm a stoned whore =D Did I do it right or am I supposed to accuse someone else?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By commander

@korvus said:
@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

This sounds fun, can I play? I live in a place with legal prostitution and drugs, therefore I'm a stoned whore =D Did I do it right or am I supposed to accuse someone else?

what's wrong with prostitution and drugs lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@evildead6789: As long as they don't happen in my house I have no problem with them =)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 commander

@korvus said:

@evildead6789: As long as they don't happen in my house I have no problem with them =)

what do you think about killing innocent people?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By commander
@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

death penalty for one

No, it's not. The point is, just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you support it.

If you see somebody beaten to death for no reason and you do nothing about it you're just as guilty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@evildead6789 said:

what do you think about killing innocent people?

With prostitution and drugs? =P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

If you see somebody beaten to death for no reason and you do nothing about it you're just as guilty

You're strawmanning.

The fact remains that just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you support something. Grow a pair and admit you're wrong.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 commander

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

The fact remains that just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you support something. Grow a pair and admit you're wrong.

i need to grow a pair?

if they would do death penalty here or any other of that inhumane bs we would revolt

It is you that need to grow a pair

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

if they would do death penalty here or any other of that inhumane bs we would revolt

I'm sure you'd feel quite differently if it was YOUR family member or loved one that was killed by these murderers who are on death row. The death penalty is saved for the worst of the worst. They don't hand it out as a sentence to all who are convicted of crimes.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By commander

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

I'm sure you'd feel quite differently if it was YOUR family member or loved one that was killed by these murderers who are on death row. The death penalty is saved for the worst of the worst. They don't hand it out as a sentence to all who are convicted of crimes.

maybe you haven't been paying attention

innocent people are killed on death row

even for the worst of the worst, if you do the death penalty, you're no better than them.

I think protecting the innocent is more important than revenge, but a lifetime behind bars is a very harsh punishment as well. Besides for a lot of these monsters, death is a release.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 jasean79

@evildead6789 said:

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

even for the worst of the worst, if you do the death penalty, you're no better than them.

I think protecting the innocent is more important than revenge, but a lifetime behind bars is a very harsh punishment as well. Besides for a lot of these monsters, death is a release.

You have a very warped idea of what the death penalty is. The death penalty is not about "revenge", it's about the punishment fitting the crime. There is nothing morally wrong with sentencing someone to death for murdering others. And you say innocents are killed on death row? How often does that happen? Granted, the judicial system isn't perfect, but I'm sure that's pretty rare of an occurrence to give that any validity in your argument.

Obviously, we have very different views on the matter.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 LJS9502_basic

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

Bullshit. You're just a kid on the internet without filters. No way anyone believes you'd take a stand. And what paradise do you live in? Because I'm sure you have innocent people caged in prison. Not a humane way to make people live either.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By commander

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

If the death penalty is so bad, why do you condone it?

I'm not condoning it, now you're just trolling lol

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 commander
@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

Bullshit. You're just a kid on the internet without filters. No way anyone believes you'd take a stand. And what paradise do you live in? Because I'm sure you have innocent people caged in prison. Not a humane way to make people live either.

I'm not a kid by far lol. We don't have innocent people in prison and if we would have they still have a chance of getting out. Life is only given to the worst crimes and here, you're innocent till proven guilty.

I don't live in paradise, i live in belgium where people have some common sense lol

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 LJS9502_basic

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

Ironic post is ironic....

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 commander

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

You have a very warped idea of what the death penalty is. The death penalty is not about "revenge", it's about the punishment fitting the crime. There is nothing morally wrong with sentencing someone to death for murdering others. And you say innocents are killed on death row? How often does that happen? Granted, the judicial system isn't perfect, but I'm sure that's pretty rare of an occurrence to give that any validity in your argument.

It is morally wrong and that is where your culture is just as barbaric in our eyes than some other cultures.

innocents are killed on death row

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/28/innocent-death-penalty-study_n_5228854.html

Even once is already one too many.

Yes , we have different views on the matter, because your intelligence is much lower than mine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#185 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

The death penalty is absolutely about revenge. If not revenge then certainly based on some kind of emotionally charged judgement, you even implied it yourself by asking him how he would feel if his family member was killed. The law can punish someone with life in prison and it'll be exactly the same as the death penalty in terms of societal impact. Much cheaper, too.

4% of defendants sentenced to die are innocents and these are conservative estimates. Saying "the judicial system isn't perfect" is not an excuse nor does it brush aside people who will die in the system and ones will likely never be set free.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 LJS9502_basic

@evildead6789 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

I'm not a kid by far lol. We don't have innocent people in prison and if we would have they still have a chance of getting out. Life is only given to the worst crimes and here, you're innocent till proven guilty.

I don't live in paradise, i live in belgium where people have some common sense lol

Ah yes Belgium where an accused can be incarcerated with NO maximum time limit until they get around to a trial. Not only are they possibly innocent but the government hasn't even tried them yet. This is common sense in your vocabulary?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 commander

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

"We don't have innocent people in prison"

On what do you base this claim?

because here you're innocent till proven guilty

It could be there are innocents in jail, but people confess sooner or later, the ones that keep denying are kept under investigation till they confess.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 commander

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

Oh. So when you lie about what other people condone it's OK, but when others do it it's trolling?

well you live there you say, i don't

I can't see how that is trolling, you know it happens in your backyard, still you don't intervene

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 LJS9502_basic

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

"We don't have innocent people in prison"

On what do you base this claim?

because here you're innocent till proven guilty

It could be there are innocents in jail, but people confess sooner or later, the ones that keep denying are kept under investigation till they confess.

You aren't series are you? There isn't a prison in the world that doesn't have some innocent people. And as I pointed out above....you guys can throw someone in jail before trial for as long as you like. Don't be casting the first stone.....I find that idea barbaric.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@evildead6789: lol

Confessions are hardly the end all be all in terms of evidence. Your act is funny though keep it up

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By jasean79

@Aljosa23: The death penalty is absolutely about revenge. If not revenge then certainly based on some kind of emotionally charged judgement, you even implied it yourself by asking him how he would feel if his family member was killed. The law can punish someone with life in prison and it'll be exactly the same as the death penalty in terms of societal impact. Much cheaper, too.

Right, which is why the jury is not made up of family members and/or people who knew the plaintiff/deceased. And of course there's some emotion when deciding the verdict - the jury is human after all. But it's much more than that during the trial.

And how is life in prison "much cheaper" than the death penalty? 10 out of 10 taxpayers would disagree with you I'm sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@jasean79: A Urban Institute study (downloads as a pdf) found that “[i]n Maryland death penalty cases cost 3 times more than non-death penalty cases, or $3 million for a single case” while a 2004 Report from Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury Office of Research that claimed “[i]n Tennessee, death penalty trials cost an average of 48% more than the average cost of trials in which prosecutors seek life imprisonment.” source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2011/09/22/death-and-taxes-the-real-cost-of-the-death-penalty/

The act of actually killing someone is cheaper of course, but the price of going through appeals court, lawyer fees, etc. etc. make the cost go much higher than someone who is serving life in prison. If you don't believe me there's plenty more evidence out there.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Aljosa23 said:

@jasean79 said:

The death penalty is absolutely about revenge. If not revenge then certainly based on some kind of emotionally charged judgement, you even implied it yourself by asking him how he would feel if his family member was killed. The law can punish someone with life in prison and it'll be exactly the same as the death penalty in terms of societal impact. Much cheaper, too.

4% of defendants sentenced to die are innocents and these are conservative estimates. Saying "the judicial system isn't perfect" is not an excuse nor does it brush aside people who will die in the system and ones will likely never be set free.

Jaseans emotional response notwithstanding the courts whether it's a death penalty case or not and are not about revenge. That is why a jury is employed that has no ties to either side in the case. It's impartial. And while I do not condone the death penalty it does have specific burdens before prosecutors can ask for it. And a lengthy appeals process. With DNA now the chances of innocents being convicted particularly of a death penalty case should lessen.

Anyway estimates are estimates. We cannot verify whether they are accurate or not.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By jasean79

@evildead6789 said:

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@jasean79 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

It is morally wrong and that is where your culture is just as barbaric in our eyes than some other cultures.

innocents are killed on death row

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/28/innocent-death-penalty-study_n_5228854.html

Even once is already one too many.

Yes , we have different views on the matter, because your intelligence is much lower than mine.

Oh, so now we're resorting to name calling, is that it? Why is it that having a different opinion on the matter is automatically deemed "less intelligent" than your position?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@jasean79 said:

@Aljosa23: The death penalty is absolutely about revenge. If not revenge then certainly based on some kind of emotionally charged judgement, you even implied it yourself by asking him how he would feel if his family member was killed. The law can punish someone with life in prison and it'll be exactly the same as the death penalty in terms of societal impact. Much cheaper, too.

Right, which is why the jury is not made up of family members and/or people who knew the plaintiff/deceased. And of course there's some emotion when deciding the verdict - the jury is human after all. But it's much more than that during the trial.

And how is life in prison "much cheaper" than the death penalty? 10 out of 10 taxpayers would disagree with you I'm sure.

The death penalty doesn't cost more but the appeals process does. Then again the appeals process exists for non death penalty cases as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By LJS9502_basic

Hey where did the dude from Belgium go? I wanted his justification for incarcerating individuals with no trial for as long as the government left them to rot in prison.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By commander

@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

You're strawmanning.

i need to grow a pair?

Ah yes Belgium where an accused can be incarcerated with NO maximum time limit until they get around to a trial. Not only are they possibly innocent but the government hasn't even tried them yet. This is common sense in your vocabulary?

there's a time limit , besides the time you do counts as times three as what you get for your sentence. The maximum sentence is only 20 years as well. You can get different sentences though.

you can make bail too, and this doesn't cost money

the criminally insane are something different but that's to protect society.