How can people believe in aliens yet at the same time not believe in God?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rob0_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rob0_Jesus
Member since 2009 • 552 Posts

Im not seeing the sense in that. I see most people here believe there is life out there. Where do you think those aliens came from? The chances of our existance were slim but the chances of it happening AGAIN is even slimmer. If aliens were real, would that prove God is real?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
If aliens exist, they can be explained naturally. If aliens do exist, that does not prove the existence of God.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
The existence of aliens would coincide with the general scientific idea of how the life on Earth got started, because the same things could have happened elsewhere. I highly doubt many people who think there might be aliens would think they were supernatural, instead of natural beings. How in any way would that prove the existence of a god?
Avechbobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Avechbobo
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts
I think it's much more probable than the existence of a deity. Plus we have a good example of life in the universe: Ourselves. It's probably not the best to suppose there is alien life, still it could be and we know life itself can exist. Nobody ever showed me a supernatural being before.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Slim? When you factor in the number of planets in the universe and then those that could possibly support life then the chance of other life forms is far from slim.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

You sir, have no idea how big the universe is or how it works.

Even if the chance was 1 in a billion there would be hundreds of thousands of planets containing life... and that's only in the part of the universe that is visible to us.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because aliens would exist in this universe, and we would probably be able to interact with them. God is supernatural and not of this universe. Merely a concept applied to things that have natural explanations.

In no way would finding aliens prove God exists. That's like saying seeing Rick Astley live in concert proves why chocolate tastes good.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Aliens are not supernatural.
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deadevil666
Member since 2005 • 1705 Posts

Even if the chance was 1 in a billion there would be hundreds of thousands of planets containing life.

Brainkiller05

This.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

This:

http://howtonotbedepressed.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hubble_ultra_deep_field.jpg

Fun fact: Based on our understanding of physics, the larege yellow/white spiral galaxy in the bottom right-hand corner is too large to exist.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
because the probability that life exists on other planets orbiting stars similar to ours makes sence . we can see the others stars in space. it is FACT that their are millions of stars in millions of galaxies. their is no fact or evidence for god.
Rob0_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rob0_Jesus

because the probability that life exists on other planets orbiting stars similar to ours makes sence . we can see the others stars in space. it is FACT that their are millions of stars in millions of galaxies. their is no fact or evidence for god.nimatoad2000

Evidence? We got that. Theres this thing called the Bible. Theres also the cross on that hill where Jesus died.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Haven't you heard all those stories about people speaking to aliens? There are books about them and everything! I honestly don't think it's possible to not believe in them. And the Bible; well, that's just nonsense.
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deadevil666

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]because the probability that life exists on other planets orbiting stars similar to ours makes sence . we can see the others stars in space. it is FACT that their are millions of stars in millions of galaxies. their is no fact or evidence for god.Rob0_Jesus

Evidence? We got that. Theres this thing called the Bible. Theres also the cross on that hill where Jesus died.

Nobody can see God. Everybody can look up at night and see stars. Please, just stop.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]because the probability that life exists on other planets orbiting stars similar to ours makes sence . we can see the others stars in space. it is FACT that their are millions of stars in millions of galaxies. their is no fact or evidence for god.Rob0_Jesus

The Bible? So I take it you believe in Zeus due to the exsist of the Iliad?
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

Even if the chance was 1 in a billion there would be hundreds of thousands of planets containing life... and that's only in the part of the universe that is visible to us.

Brainkiller05
I agree, probably nobody on this planet even properly understands how the universe actually works because it is so massive.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 harashawn

Nobody can see God. Everybody can look up at night and see stars. Please, just stop.

deadevil666

Stars are not extraterrestrial life-forms...

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Im not seeing the sense in that. I see most people here believe there is life out there. Where do you think those aliens came from? The chances of our existance were slim but the chances of it happening AGAIN is even slimmer. If aliens were real, would that prove God is real?

Rob0_Jesus
Of course the chance of life forming on a planet is extremely low. But when you have trillions of planets for this to possibly occur on, it becomes very possible that at least one of these planets to have life..
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deadevil666

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]

walkingdream

I agree, probably nobody on this planet even properly understands how the universe actually works because it is so massive.

I doubt we ever will, ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]

walkingdream

Well, I do but I'm not gonna tell because no one would like it.
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]Nobody can see God. Everybody can look up at night and see stars. Please, just stop.

harashawn

Where did I claim they were, exactly?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox

Rob0_Jesus

The Bible is a book of metaphorical parables used to demonstrate the dogma and tenants of Christianity. Also, the cross on the hill where Jesus died would be evidence that Jesus died on a cross on a hill... not proof that God exists. And secondly, the cross that Jesus died on was fragmented and taken by various groups.

Rob0_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rob0_Jesus

[QUOTE="walkingdream"][QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]

deadevil666

Do we honestly need to? What do we have to gain from that? Things might get worse if we try to know everything.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 harashawn

[QUOTE="harashawn"]

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]Nobody can see God. Everybody can look up at night and see stars. Please, just stop.

deadevil666

The discussion is on the existence of aliens; not stars.
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

[QUOTE="walkingdream"] I agree, probably nobody on this planet even properly understands how the universe actually works because it is so massive.Rob0_Jesus

Do we honestly need to? What do we have to gain from that? Things might get worse if we try to know everything.

So you think that our strive for knowledge is a bad thing? See, this is what is holding humanity back.

deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] Stars are not extraterrestrial life-forms...

harashawn

Aliens which would exist on planets orbiting other stars.

Wanna try again, buddy?

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

How does the bible serve as evidence? If I wrote a book on the Flying Spaghetti Monster, does it mean he exists? How does the death of Jesus serve as evidence?
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 harashawn

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="deadevil666"]

deadevil666

Wanna try again, buddy?

The presence of stars is not evidence for anything except the existence of those stars. Your argument is based on the assumption that if stars exist, aliens must also.
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] The discussion is on the existence of aliens; not stars. harashawn

Wanna try again, buddy?

The presence of stars is not evidence for anything except the existence of those stars. Your argument is based on the assumption that if stars exist, aliens must also.

It's based on the probability of aliens existing. Also, it's a counter argument to the argument that if I logically conclude there is a chance for aliens to exist, I must also believe in God.

Rob0_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rob0_Jesus

[QUOTE="Rob0_Jesus"]

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

deadevil666

So you think that our strive for knowledge is a bad thing? See, this is what is holding humanity back.

Sure there are plenty of good things that come from our strive of knowledge but look at all the crap that came with it. Wer'e ****ing up the planet, wer'e finding new ways to kill other humans (chemical warfare), and humanity as a whole is becoming lazier.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 harashawn

Wanna try again, buddy?

deadevil666

It's based on the CHANCE. Also, it's a counter argument to the argument that if I logically conclude there is a chance for aliens to exist, I must also believe in God.

An argument should be based on facts; not chance. If I say it will rain tomorrow, I must back up the claim with facts, not just "Well, it could happen".
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Rob0_Jesus
We exist, thus we know life can exist in this universe. Given the near infinite size of the ever expanding universe, it stands to reason that somewhere out there, there could possibly be life. On the other hand, there is no evidence what so ever of God existing. Humans are proof of life. There is no proof of God.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nimatoad2000

the bible was written by 2nd hand sources. fact is the bible was written about 100 years after jesus' death. no one was a witness. even if it was written the day after, are you telling me their is 0% chance that any of the information in the bible is inaccurate or even a downright lie? then we have the new testament that took stuff from the old and changed it around to reflect the values that its authors wanted to represent. already that is changing information, seeing as the old and new testament have some vast differences. also many people were crucified. you cannot tell me that the sopposed cross you speak of was the one jesus was crucified on, and not just some random guy, or if it is not some cross that no one was crucified on and that it was just placed on a hill. you have no evidence, many people write books and lie. look at john smith of jamestown
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] The presence of stars is not evidence for anything except the existence of those stars. Your argument is based on the assumption that if stars exist, aliens must also. harashawn

It's based on the CHANCE. Also, it's a counter argument to the argument that if I logically conclude there is a chance for aliens to exist, I must also believe in God.

An argument should be based on facts; not chance. If I say it will rain tomorrow, I must back up the claim with facts, not just "Well, it could happen".

The fact that there are trillions of stars in our known galaxy isn't enough for you?

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
If aliens exist, they can be explained naturally. If aliens do exist, that does not prove the existence of God.Genetic_Code
This is really the jist of it.
Rob0_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rob0_Jesus

deadevil666

The fact that there are trillions of stars in our known galaxy isn't enough for you?

What you just said could also be used as proof that God is real.

deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

[QUOTE="Rob0_Jesus"]

Rob0_Jesus

Sure there are plenty of good things that come from our strive of knowledge but look at all the crap that came with it. Wer'e ****ing up the planet, wer'e finding new ways to kill other humans (chemical warfare), and humanity as a whole is becoming lazier.

I blame that on over-population, not on a strive for knowledge.

Rob0_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rob0_Jesus

[QUOTE="Rob0_Jesus"]

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]because the probability that life exists on other planets orbiting stars similar to ours makes sence . we can see the others stars in space. it is FACT that their are millions of stars in millions of galaxies. their is no fact or evidence for god.nimatoad2000

the bible was written by 2nd hand sources. fact is the bible was written about 100 years after jesus' death. no one was a witness. even if it was written the day after, are you telling me their is 0% chance that any of the information in the bible is inaccurate or even a downright lie? then we have the new testament that took stuff from the old and changed it around to reflect the values that its authors wanted to represent. already that is changing information, seeing as the old and new testament have some vast differences. also many people were crucified. you cannot tell me that the sopposed cross you speak of was the one jesus was crucified on, and not just some random guy, or if it is not some cross that no one was crucified on and that it was just placed on a hill. you have no evidence, many people write books and lie. look at john smith of jamestown

Are you telling me there is a 0% chance that any of the info in the Bible is inaccurate or a lie? What makes you think this book was written to lie to the masses? Maybe your'e wrong.

deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] An argument should be based on facts; not chance. If I say it will rain tomorrow, I must back up the claim with facts, not just "Well, it could happen". Rob0_Jesus

Oh really, then why hasn't the existence of God been proven?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

harashawn

That's true, but saying "it's cloudy, it's going to rain tomorrow" is a more likely scenario and more reasonable argument than "I have a special relationship with the candy-maker, gummy bears will fall from the sky tomorrow."
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

Rob0_Jesus

That is a very pessimistic view of the world of technology. What about the advances in medical science that we've had over the past 100-250 years? We've gone from using leeches and potions made of heroin to being able to diagnose and treat even the most damaging of diseases. Mostly thanks to the advances in genetics, which in turn derives most of its power from evolution and the process of gradual adaptation. What about scientists like Norman Borlaug, who have done things in the agriculture industry that have allowed high-yield plants that normally wouldn't grow in barren environments to produce enough food to feed billions of people in Africa and other third-world countries?

What does religion offer that makes it better than science and technology? Hope that the next life will be more pleasurable? Science and religion can (and should) coexist... science is the answer to "how" and religion (more generally; philosophy) is the answer to "why."

Human beings do these things to themselves... and no amount of religion or technology will stop bad people from doing bad things.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="Rob0_Jesus"]

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

An argument should be based on facts; not chance. If I say it will rain tomorrow, I must back up the claim with facts, not just "Well, it could happen". harashawn

no it cant, you cannot PROVE god is real just by saying their is a chance that a god might exist. their is a high chance that life on other planets exists because of the vast number of stars and potential planets because of the variables that are required for life. if you take those variables of chance and multiply them by the potential amount of planets in the universe, you could get a rough estimate of the number of planets that could have life on them in the universe.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 harashawn

guynamedbilly

That's true, but saying "it's cloudy, it's going to rain tomorrow" is a more likely scenario and more reasonable argument than "I have a special relationship with the candy-maker, gummy bears will fall from the sky tomorrow."

And your point?...
deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deadevil666

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="harashawn"] An argument should be based on facts; not chance. If I say it will rain tomorrow, I must back up the claim with facts, not just "Well, it could happen". harashawn

And your point?...

God = gummy-bears, duh. :P

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 harashawn

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] That's true, but saying "it's cloudy, it's going to rain tomorrow" is a more likely scenario and more reasonable argument than "I have a special relationship with the candy-maker, gummy bears will fall from the sky tomorrow."deadevil666

And your point?...

Wouldn't God be the Candy Maker?
Rob0_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rob0_Jesus

[QUOTE="Rob0_Jesus"]

foxhound_fox

That is a very pessimistic view of the world of technology. What about the advances in medical science that we've had over the past 100-250 years? We've gone from using leeches and potions made of heroin to being able to diagnose and treat even the most damaging of diseases. Mostly thanks to the advances in genetics, which in turn derives most of its power from evolution and the process of gradual adaptation. What about scientists like Norman Borlaug, who have done things in the agriculture industry that have allowed high-yield plants that normally wouldn't grow in barren environments to produce enough food to feed billions of people in Africa and other third-world countries?

What does religion offer that makes it better than science and technology? Hope that the next life will be more pleasurable? Science and religion can (and should) coexist... science is the answer to "how" and religion (more generally; philosophy) is the answer to "why."

Human beings do these things to themselves... and no amount of religion or technology will stop bad people from doing bad things.

Religion offers unity with your brothers and sisters. It offers second chances to those that think theyve hit rock bottom. It gives hope. Hope, unity, and redemption>> science and technology. Anyways if us humans keep trying to find answers we might end up doing something stupid that screws up everything weve been working for. Of course this is just slight paranoia and pessimism. I realize that lots of good has come the technology weve created. Theres also been a helluva lot of bad too.

deadevil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deadevil666

[QUOTE="deadevil666"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] And your point?... harashawn

Wouldn't God be the Candy Maker?

Nah, the candy-maker would be your local priest.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Just because a book exists doesn't mean its true, also it has been a proven fact that Jesus existed and was crusified, it has not however been proven that a God exists and that Jesus was the son of God. :|

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="Rob0_Jesus"]

Well we have evidence of Aliens too. L. Ron Hubbards Scientology Dianetics talks of aliens thus that is irrefutable proof they exist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="harashawn"] An argument should be based on facts; not chance. If I say it will rain tomorrow, I must back up the claim with facts, not just "Well, it could happen".

And your point?...

That one of the arguments has better chance of being true and being proven to be true because of the limited evidence and facts that we can observe, while the other may or may not be true but has no physical first-hand evidence in it's favor. You can't disregard all chance, when there is evidence to support that outcome, because so much of science is based upon that. You can't delete statistics from science.