How can I make my sci-fi/fantasy series of novels feel like a series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rukaru
Member since 2007 • 588 Posts

I'm trying to write a sci-fi/fantasy series, and so far it doesn't feel like a series.

I'm not going to explain the plot right now. I can briefly explain the setting. Basically, it has sort of a post-apocalyptic feel, and it doesn't have any of the more extreme elements of fantasy or sci-fi, like fairies, spaceships, robots, etc. It is in another world so naturally it is different. There are unique creatures and there are warp stones (essentially allowing teleportation over great distances). There are also vehicles with wheels and vehicles that hover.

Anyway, so far it just seems like a long drawn out short story. Most of the events tie in directly with the main plot.

I realize that would normally be a good thing...but I think that with a series...there should be more.

I think a series allows better characterization. It involves seeing more of the character's lives. That's what I want to do. The problem is that it's hard for me to think of stuff like this. I do have a few small story arcs, but they all involve murder or robbery. It's almost like I can't think of anything else right now.

I am still writing. I know a lot of people advise just writing and seeing what comes up, and I am doing that, but I have hit a bit of a road block...and I could use some help brainstorming. Can you help me?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that one thing I wanted to do is establish norms without being repetitive. In TV shows for example...you can always identify norms after the first season. You can identify what often happens (though this usually has to do with the character's career). It isn't all just one chain of events related to the same thing. Anyway, how can I effectively establish norms without being repetitive?

EDIT 2: OK I keep getting advice to add either something really large-scaled or some sort of abstract theme. Please understand...I am looking specifically for "extra" stuff to put into the series so it doesn't seem like every event moves the plot foreward in some way. I am looking for events that may happen in the characters' lives. Got it?

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
meditation can help.
aveman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 aveman1
Member since 2004 • 3383 Posts
Do you have some sort of non physical, perhaps philosophical theme to the world? Perhaps that your protagonist's flaws or internal conflicts stop him from achieveing his goals, or that the primitive society, despite being quick to abandon old world tendencies, has the same cruelties as before? A center theme that isn't explicit, but you remember as you plot things out should help. And as for my suggestions, thats just my conjecture of a post-apoc world, and probabley dosen't pertain what-so-ever to your story.
Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rukaru

Do you have some sort of non physical, perhaps philosophical theme to the world? Perhaps that your protagonist's flaws or internal conflicts stop him from achieveing his goals, or that the primitive society, despite being quick to abandon old world tendencies, has the same cruelties as before? A center theme that isn't explicit, but you remember as you plot things out should help. And as for my suggestions, thats just my conjecture of a post-apoc world, and probabley dosen't pertain what-so-ever to your story. aveman1

Well that's a good idea but I already have a central theme and plenty of abstract ideas for what I want. What I'm talking about are smaller subplots to give it a somewhat "episodic" feel.

fanboy-buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 fanboy-buster
Member since 2006 • 4594 Posts
Create antagonists, or people who differ with the main character's perception of good in a post-apocaliyptic world.
Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rukaru

Create antagonists, or people who differ with the main character's perception of good in a post-apocaliyptic world. fanboy-buster

.......you serious?

Once again...

I have the concepts down. Of course I have antagonists. I'm looking for things that can happen. Just things...in life. It could be almost anything. I need events to make up the content of the series.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts
Cliffhangers!
fanboy-buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fanboy-buster

[QUOTE="fanboy-buster"]Create antagonists, or people who differ with the main character's perception of good in a post-apocaliyptic world. Rukaru

.......you serious?

Once again...

I have the concepts down. Of course I have antagonists. I'm looking for things that can happen. Just things...in life. It could be almost anything. I need events to make up the content of the series.

Haha...I thought you already had that idea :P Maybe a first sub-plot has to do with the government and their relation with whatever caused the city to be blown up. I know is sounds clichè but it is not a bad idea.

Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rukaru
[QUOTE="Rukaru"]

[QUOTE="fanboy-buster"]Create antagonists, or people who differ with the main character's perception of good in a post-apocaliyptic world. fanboy-buster

.......you serious?

Once again...

Haha...I thought you already had that idea :P Maybe a first sub-plot has to do with the government and their relation with whatever caused the city to be blown up. I know is sounds clichè but it is not a bad idea.

Yeah actually I already have that for the main plot. This is what I'm looking for though. Brainstorming of possible events. I'm thinking something on a smaller scale might work better for a subplot. And it needs to directly involve one of the characters. I just want to give the idea that the characters have lives. It is also a good outlet for character development.
fanboy-buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fanboy-buster
[QUOTE="fanboy-buster"][QUOTE="Rukaru"]

.......you serious?

Once again...

Rukaru

Yeah actually I already have that for the main plot. This is what I'm looking for though. Brainstorming of possible events. I'm thinking something on a smaller scale might work better for a subplot. And it needs to directly involve one of the characters. I just want to give the idea that the characters have lives. It is also a good outlet for character development.

Maybe the spoilled rich girl who was sent to the Bahamas for vacation, then returned to see her city destroyed. Now she has to adjust to the hard way of life.
Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rukaru
[QUOTE="Rukaru"][QUOTE="fanboy-buster"]

fanboy-buster

Maybe the spoilled rich girl who was sent to the Bahamas for vacation, then returned to see her city destroyed. Now she has to adjust to the hard way of life.

OK thanks! :)

That's still a little bigger than I'm looking for. Is that something that might happen in your life? Probably not. And BTW, the story is not set on earth...so no Bahamas :P

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

I'm not going to explain the plot right now.

Rukaru

You do realize that what you ask is insanely difficult without at least a short plot summary?

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
On going relationship?? That's how most TV shows establish norms. C'mon. We need to know a little about the plot to know WTF is going on.
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hamstergeddon
How about have a universal theme of anti-evolution. The story takes place in a futuristic utopia where everybody is happy until monkeys ceize the nukes of Russia. Since monkeys have no soul, they launch the nukes and kill almost everybody. And now there's only one man that can stop the monkeys from post-apocalyptic conquest of the world. Starring. Jason Stathum, as, the last hope for mankind. *Scene of Jason propelling down from a skylight and shooting twin uzis in a circle as all the monkey security guards try to stop him. They all miss and he kills them all. Then he fights the evil flaming monkey overlord using no weapons except various articles of clothing to bring down the monkey menace* (Back to narrator voice) this is..... The Conspirarator. Coming to theaters this spring. -end-

EDIT: Wow. I believe that's the most sidetracked I've ever gotten in a post before. Awesome.
Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rukaru
[QUOTE="Rukaru"]

I'm not going to explain the plot right now.

Theokhoth

You do realize that what you ask is insanely difficult without at least a short plot summary?

Well the point is to give me random ideas so my mind will take a different route. A plot summary would make people suggest things that fit in the plot...but I'm looking for things that don't seem ti fit. It may be hard to understand if you aren't a writer, but this is a good technique for a series. It shouldn't be that hard to help me brainstorm. Tell me some of the most interesting things that have happened in your own life...or someone else's life. They can be single events or maybe something ongoing. I might be able to make a subplot out of something like that.
Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rukaru

How about have a universal theme of anti-evolution. The story takes place in a futuristic utopia where everybody is happy until monkeys ceize the nukes of Russia. Since monkeys have no soul, they launch the nukes and kill almost everybody. And now there's only one man that can stop the monkeys from post-apocalyptic conquest of the world. Starring. Jason Stathum, as, the last hope for mankind. *Scene of Jason propelling down from a skylight and shooting twin uzis in a circle as all the monkey security guards try to stop him. They all miss and he kills them all. Then he fights the evil flaming monkey overlord using no weapons except various articles of clothing to bring down the monkey menace* (Back to narrator voice) this is..... The Conspirarator. Coming to theaters this spring. -end-

EDIT: Wow. I believe that's the most sidetracked I've ever gotten in a post before. Awesome. hamstergeddon

Once again...not looking for a theme or concept. I'm looking for life events...or something similar that can make a story seem like a series.

fanboy-buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fanboy-buster
A scientists noting different mutations among certain species. One day he sees that the mutations are reaching humans and he starts to study these mutations and the effect this could have in the post-apocalyptic city.
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hamstergeddon
How bout the parellel stories of the protagonist and a serial rapist how they use different ends to achieve the same means and gradually throughout the series their plots intertwine. Til they join forces in the last book to defeat the greater evil.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#23 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Make sure you don't include elves or dwarves.. that's my best advice right now.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Theokhoth
Without a plot summary there's not much I can do. Perhaps you could have characters die; main characters, sub characters, whatever. Introduce one or two more characters with interesting plot lines that intertwine with the main protagonist's and kill them; or, kill the protagonist and have his story continue with the deuteragonist.
skivit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skivit
Member since 2006 • 987 Posts
[QUOTE="Rukaru"][QUOTE="fanboy-buster"]

fanboy-buster

Am i the only one who smelt sarcasm? Im not sure whether it is or not. If it is then its the most beautiful sarcasm ive ever seen, if not then my sarcasm detectors need adjusting =S
fanboy-buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fanboy-buster

[QUOTE="fanboy-buster"][QUOTE="Rukaru"] Yeah actually I already have that for the main plot. This is what I'm looking for though. Brainstorming of possible events. I'm thinking something on a smaller scale might work better for a subplot. And it needs to directly involve one of the characters. I just want to give the idea that the characters have lives. It is also a good outlet for character development.skivit

Am i the only one who smelt sarcasm? Im not sure whether it is or not. If it is then its the most beautiful sarcasm ive ever seen, if not then my sarcasm detectors need adjusting =S

I didn't intend my post to be sarcastic...but I am not seeing what you found sarcastic.

Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rukaru
That's too large scale! That isn't a life event! Have you ever done that? seriously....
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Theokhoth

That's too large scale! That isn't a life event! Have you ever done that? seriously....Rukaru

Life events include deaths and changes in plans. Ever read George R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series?

Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rukaru

Without a plot summary there's not much I can do. Perhaps you could have characters die; main characters, sub characters, whatever. Introduce one or two more characters with interesting plot lines that intertwine with the main protagonist's and kill them; or, kill the protagonist and have his story continue with the deuteragonist.Theokhoth

Ok you still have the wrong idea. You don't need a plot summary. I'm talking about things like....you know....life events. I'm not sure a gamer could understand. Incidentally, I am not one. :)

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Without a plot summary there's not much I can do. Perhaps you could have characters die; main characters, sub characters, whatever. Introduce one or two more characters with interesting plot lines that intertwine with the main protagonist's and kill them; or, kill the protagonist and have his story continue with the deuteragonist.Rukaru

Ok you still have the wrong idea. You don't need a plot summary. I'm talking about things like....you know....life events. I'm not sure a gamer could understand. Incidentally, I am not one. :)

*Ahem* I'm also writing a novel. ;)

See my post above. "Life events" is too broad a term, and without a plot summary, it's a rather hopeless cause.

Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rukaru
But we're talking about simple brainstorming here. Just suggest something. I don't want suggestions based on the plot...which is why I didn't give a summary. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: One of the character's vehicles breaks down A character is fired from work A character's dog is killed for an unknown reason One of the characters visits a friend in the hospital Ok...stuff like that. It has nothing to do with the plot. Now...will I use all of these things? Probably not. Would suggestions like this help get my brain on the right path? Probably. So add to this list if you can. Good luck on your novel btw.
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

Hmmm, i don't know if it can help you in any way but i do am a sucker for very personal character plot. Since you are set up in a world with a post apocalytic feeling and looking for ''filler'' content, you can have flashbacks of this character life and what forged this character to be what he/she is today.

It's really hard to give you ideas without knowing details but it can be really interesting to have your perception of a character changed after discovering a subplot event. I have no clue what your characters are but making them flawed is a great way to humanize them and develop sub plots related to them, exploit their flaws, exploit their personality. A once hot-headed character has more than likely ran into trouble, this ''trouble'' might trigger a personality switch in this character at the end of said episodic plot which might explain better an action he committed in another episode. Just an example but you get the idea. Get your characters personality, physical traits and past on paper and start digging.

Rukaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rukaru

Hmmm, i don't know if it can help you in any way but i do am a sucker for very personal character plot. Since you are set up in a world with a post apocalytic feeling and looking for ''filler'' content, you can have flashbacks of this character life and what forged this character to be what he/she is today.

It's really hard to give you ideas without knowing details but it can be really interesting to have your perception of a character changed after discovering a subplot event. I have no clue what your characters are but making them flawed is a great way to humanize them and develop sub plots related to them, exploit their flaws, exploit their personality. A once hot-headed character has more than likely ran into trouble, this ''trouble'' might trigger a personality switch in this character at the end of said episodic plot which might explain better an action he committed in another episode. Just an example but you get the idea. Get your characters personality, physical traits and past on paper and start digging.

Cenerune
Good advice. You have the idea. I actually have extremely long character profiles and descriptions. I've explained what I'm looking for here. Just random brain-storming stuff. Like you said...filler content.