How awesome are you?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

It seems OT is plagued with 'poor me', 'my life sucks' and 'why even try?' threads. Let's have a thread where we talk about how awesome we are. What makes you kick-ass OT?

I'll start:

Two years ago I had just gotten out of the USAF and was going through a divorce with a money grubbing hag who thought I owed her something. I thought my life couldn't get any worse. Two months later, I met a girl who told me that I shouldn't hold back and settle for less. I took her advice and started going back to college. After some time, I applied for a job with Intel and got it. This job required a BS degree in either chemistry, physics, mathematics or electrical engineering. I got it with my military background in avionics and proving myself at my interview.

Today, both my wife and I work for the same company and make $160k +/yr combined. I own a house, two cars and have a net worth of $300K. On top of all that, I'm going back to school AGAIN to earn a degree in Computer Engineering. I think going from below the poverty line to earning in the top 10% in two years is quite an accomplishment.

What about you? What makes you bad ass?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

@plageus900: Your avatar is perfect for this thread.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@judaspete: Lol =D

We get it, you're awesome.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Thanks for destroying every little bit of confidence I had left for myself.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

congrats. what do you do @intel?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 plageus900

@comp_atkins said:

Process Tech with LTD. (Logic Technology Development)

My job consists of data collection and analysis, process improvement, etc. I work with engineers on experiments, troubleshooting, etc.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comp_atkins

@plageus900 said:
@comp_atkins said:

My job consists of data collection and analysis, process improvement, etc. I work with engineers on experiments, troubleshooting, etc.

cool. do you work in one of the fabs?

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I'm pretty awesome. I heard a girl suffering in my head for a few days. Later on I ended up meeting her in real life. Much to my surprise it was a real person. I helped end her suffering. Who knows how we were connected telepathically, but I may have saved her life. I'm proud to have lived a life of experiencing stuff like this, I'd call it supernatural but if it happens for real then it's not supernatural.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I finally grew a full chin bread. I use to have a path on my chin.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 plageus900

@comp_atkins said:
@plageus900 said:
@comp_atkins said:

cool. do you work in one of the fabs?

Yes.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 plageus900

@magicalclick said:

@plageus900: I am jealous. My salary is close to half of yours, but, my bf, eeeerrrrkkk, not so great and makes me want to break up.

I only make $80k. Combined with my wifes, we make the $160k.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

I get paid to make beer for a living. That's pretty awesome. I've had a pretty consistent and successful career in that respect; worked from the bottom, now I run the entire brewhouse from beginning to end and one of the nation's largest craft breweries. The career in general is not a high-paying gig, but I'm making about as much as someone in my position can make with excellent benefits. And I am making about 4x as much money as I was four years ago which blows my mind sometimes.

I know how to cook just about anything, which is a skill people don't really have and is more rewarding than most people imagine; it's incredibly satisfying to wake up and say "I feel like having some _______ for lunch today" and being able to go to the store, shop, return home and execute a well-seasoned dish.

Ummmm what else. I am tall and innately strong, which has been useful in my line of work. It's been a while since I've really pushed myself at the gym but my personal records are bench 365 lb, power clean 265, and squat 415 pounds. I generally don't like to talk about it because it makes me sound like a "bro'", but since we are talking about how awesome we are...

I generally get along with most people, subscribe to "the golden rule" which helps me out and gives me a sense of moral superiority :P, and I think I am more sociable and likable than I give myself credit for (but you never know, people could hate me and just be nice to my face...)

Honestly the only thing wrong with my life is that I've grown pretty damn fat. That's a huge problem and it really takes a toll on your self esteem; couple that fact with moderate depression and social anxiety, and I generally feel the opposite of awesome 99% of the time.

But objectively, if you look at my life on paper, it's pretty awesome.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I make a pretty mean Mac & Cheese. Kraft, of course.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I own a pc and play hardcore games on it.

I am the very definition of "bad-ass".

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@plageus900 said:

It seems OT is plagued with 'poor me', 'my life sucks' and 'why even try?' threads. Let's have a thread where we talk about how awesome we are. What makes you kick-ass OT?

I'll start:

Two years ago I had just gotten out of the USAF and was going through a divorce with a money grubbing hag who thought I owed her something. I thought my life couldn't get any worse. Two months later, I met a girl who told me that I shouldn't hold back and settle for less. I took her advice and started going back to college. After some time, I applied for a job with Intel and got it. This job required a BS degree in either chemistry, physics, mathematics or electrical engineering. I got it with my military background in avionics and proving myself at my interview.

Today, both my wife and I work for the same company and make $160k +/yr combined. I own a house, two cars and have a net worth of $300K. On top of all that, I'm going back to school AGAIN to earn a degree in Computer Engineering. I think going from below the poverty line to earning in the top 10% in two years is quite an accomplishment.

This is a level of self-aggrandization that I choose not to indulge in, but I have a job that supports my family and we live comfortably and as an adult I like who I am. That's all that really matters.

-Byshop

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i am a total failure on every level

this wold would be better off without useless trash like me

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

I've worked my ass off for the past year at a shitty retail job so I could afford my education, and next schoolyear I finally get to go. And I'm pretty damn proud about it.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

A path to being happy is to end up with a job that you enjoy doing while still having time for your preferred hobbies.

You have that two and you'll be ok, even if you don't make much.

If you have someone to love, that'll make it better too but that comes with its own challenges.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

@deeliman said:

I've worked my ass off for the past year at a shitty retail job so I could afford my education, and next schoolyear I finally get to go. And I'm pretty damn proud about it.

congratulation!

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#23 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I made my own cup of tea this morning.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

lol, after reading the responses in this thread, I have to say, all of my fellow gamespotters are awesome, I can always count on you guys to make my day with some of the things you guys say! :P

Anyways, I'm confident, but at the same time a humble guy, so it's hard for me to say how "awesome" I am. But I will say that my life is the result of the average dude who has always worked hard, treated people with respect and did the right thing.....maybe not all the time, but I've learned from my mistakes.

I have a steady job that pays well, has solid benefits and a great retirement plan. I thought about going back to school to get a degree in physical therapy, but I'm still in the process of mapping out a solid plan. I bought a home about 5yrs ago, but it's not my dream home, I plan on fixing it up a bit, I'm not sure if I want to rent it out or sell it.

I have a small business on the side(videography and Studio Engineering), I don't make a lot of money, it's more of a hobby.

The most import thing for me though, is that I'm healthy, I got stability and a small group of family and friends I care about.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

This thread makes me feel uncomfortable.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

My awesomness goes all the way to 11 man.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

@horgen said:

My awesomness goes all the way to 11 man.

Horgen is one awesomer.

-Byshop

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I love the woman in my life a great deal. I have spent the last 15 nights without her for the first time in 6 years and I didnt fully appreciate just how attached and dependant I had become on being with her. I have many things in my life to be proud of and in general I would describe myself as a very happy and independent person. I have however, come to the conclusion during these last 15 nights that its all mostly meaningless. It certainly doesnt offer me the same level of comfort and companionship as she does. I feel incredibly lucky and also weirdly helpless as its suddenly dawned on me just how emotionally vulnerable I would be if I were to find myself alone.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 plageus900

@deeliman said:

Awesome stuff!

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 plageus900

@Byshop said:
@plageus900 said:

I'll start:

This is a level of self-aggrandization that I choose not to indulge in, but I have a job that supports my family and we live comfortably and as an adult I like who I am. That's all that really matters.

-Byshop

Word.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 plageus900

@MarcRecon said:

lol, after reading the responses in this thread, I have to say, all of my fellow gamespotters are awesome, I can always count on you guys to make my day with some of the things you guys say! :P

Anyways, I'm confident, but at the same time a humble guy, so it's hard for me to say how "awesome" I am. But I will say that my life is the result of the average dude who has always worked hard, treated people with respect and did the right thing.....maybe not all the time, but I've learned from my mistakes.

I have a steady job that pays well, has solid benefits and a great retirement plan. I thought about going back to school to get a degree in physical therapy, but I'm still in the process of mapping out a solid plan. I bought a home about 5yrs ago, but it's not my dream home, I plan on fixing it up a bit, I'm not sure if I want to rent it out or sell it.

I have a small business on the side(videography and Studio Engineering), I don't make a lot of money, it's more of a hobby.

The most import thing for me though, is that I'm healthy, I got stability and a small group of family and friends I care about.

You sir, are awesome.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 comp_atkins

well, i designed and built this, which i'm told is pretty awesome.

Loading Video...

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 plageus900

@comp_atkins: I like it.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

My farts register on the Richter scale. That's pretty cool.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm working my dream job, married my dream woman and am a couple years away from living my dream life (house and kids). Doesn't get more awesome than that.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

Ditto

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 plageus900

@gamerguru100 said:
@TheHighWind said:

Ditto

Why?....

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamerguru100

@plageus900: Because being a peasant sucks ass.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 plageus900

@gamerguru100 said:

@plageus900: Because being a peasant sucks ass.

Being awesome has nothing to do with how much money you have.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gamerguru100

@plageus900: You made it sound that way. Money seems to be the only thing that matters in this world.

I'd switch lives with you in a nanosecond.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@foxhound_fox: I'm afraid of commitment but that is honorable nonetheless.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Alright.

Deeply flawed but not a serial killer or ISIS.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 plageus900

@gamerguru100: It's currently how I define my own success. It doesn't have to be that way for others.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Byshop  Moderator

@slipknot0129 said:

I'm pretty awesome. I heard a girl suffering in my head for a few days. Later on I ended up meeting her in real life. Much to my surprise it was a real person. I helped end her suffering. Who knows how we were connected telepathically, but I may have saved her life. I'm proud to have lived a life of experiencing stuff like this, I'd call it supernatural but if it happens for real then it's not supernatural.

If you want people to believe you, maybe don't lift your story straight from a plotline in the TV show "The Magicians".

-Byshop

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

@plageus900 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@TheHighWind said:

Ditto

Why?....

i just think someone is going to post their "Nobel Prize" level of accomplishment and make the rest of us feel bad?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts
  • I've been in my career for 18 years
  • Married 9 years
  • Over $300k in retirement savings
  • $60k in home equity
  • Credit Score in the 800s
  • No debt outside of mortgage
  • 12 months of cash savings
  • own 2 cars outright
  • net worth between $400k and $500k (retirement, cash savings, home equity, plus assets)
  • no kids
  • Bench press 280, squat 425, deadlift 435
  • 8 handicap on the golf course
  • Look like a young Richard Gere
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Well I lost the job in the oil industry cause the US, through oil fracking, caused the dollar price on the barrel to drop, which lead to oil rigs and projects to be put on hold pending a price increase, which lead to an approximate unemployment rate of 250% within six months in my "state" alone since no oil company is going to pay people that have nothing to do while they wait.

So I'm contemplating moving up north and away from family, friends and so forth for the sheer sake of having a chance at a job cause here a single job opening at McDonalds or as a simple grocery store clerk gets on average 1500 applicants now as opposed to 100 like they did before. Top that off that I've just become an uncle, so I have this sense of guilt for considering leaving.

But atleast I'm in good health so I suppose that makes me badass.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 plageus900

@TheHighWind: So what? You should be happy for them and it shouldn't make you feel bad. My 3rd cousin one a Nobel Prize in physics back in the 80s.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 plageus900

@bforrester420: so basically the most Alpha motherfucker on this board.