Holy Crap, Super 8 is horrible too

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsterVision
Member since 2011 • 187 Posts

Transformers 3 is worse than Super 8, but Super 8 is not far from it.

Did anyone see Super 8? What did you think? I personally thought it was garbage, filth, frikin terrible, unbelievably bad, horrible, shameful, boring, unoriginal, & embarrasing. I have never. Ever. EVER seen a movie this disjointed and boring in my entire life. The shaky cam mixed with the horrible acting...

holy crap, did anyone see the pothead in this film. Was he supposed to be funny? And why were the kids talking like 30 year olds? The monster looked like ****. And the train crash scene was visually exhausting, it did not need to be that long, because it didn't look real at all. It's like they took the Cloverfield monster and just..... What was this movie? What was it!

Seriously, wtf was this movie?

noxboxlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 noxboxlive
Member since 2008 • 5856 Posts

It doesnt come ut until august the 5th or somthing in the uk,

is it that bad Dmad?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
super 8 = best film ive seen all year.
MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsterVision

super 8 = best film ive seen all year.Allicrombie

Did you see the acting between the dads in this film? The daughter's dad? Did you see this?

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

It wasn't great, but I'd hardly say it's horrible.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

The first 30 min were great but the ending was pretty bad.

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsterVision

It wasn't great, but I'd hardly say it's horrible.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

The train sequence made me sick. There is a difference between impressive and dizzy shaky cam. This was dizzy shaky cam, horrible CGI, it was just HORRIBLE.

Do you remember the kid with the TNT fetish? Why did he swear every time he was on screen? Why!

SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts

You don't exactly sound like an expert movie critic. Therefore, I shall ignore your advice.

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsterVision

You don't exactly sound like an expert movie critic. Therefore, I shall ignore your advice.

SilverSignal

I am a film critic. Super 8 made me a film critic, you know why? Because every other film critic out there that gave this film good reviews is foolish.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

I liked it, it was pretty solid, not amazing, but good.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CaveJohnson1

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]super 8 = best film ive seen all year.MonsterVision

Did you see the acting between the dads in this film? The daughter's dad? Did you see this?

Good acting, plus some good moral and ethics issues covered.

hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts
the kids didnt have anything to do with the monsters story, he didnt need their help at all so the story is garbage!
Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
I enjoyed Super 8, but I don't think it'll be remembered by too many.
noxboxlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 noxboxlive

Well i will be damned, that IS Dmad.....

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsterVision

[QUOTE="MonsterVision"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]super 8 = best film ive seen all year.CaveJohnson1

the acting between the dad and his daughter, and the dad and his son, was so horrible, SO HORRIBLE, did you see the part where the girl was kidnapped by the monster after the dad crashed the car?

What about the black guy in the car that crashed the train? The black guy with no real backstory who crashed the train, first off, wow the trains sequence. It was so unnecessary, how did that car not blow up? Why did the black guy tell the kids they were going to die or whatever, it just didn't correlate with the plot.

Super 8 is horrible, every kid swears like a 30 year old would, it was obviously not Spielberg who directed this garbage, and you know what it was like?

It was like Cloverfield, meets the Goonies, Meets LOST, Meets That 70's Show.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. Ending was underwhelming though.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="SilverSignal"]

MonsterVision

I am a film critic. Super 8 made me a film critic, you know why? Because every other film critic out there that gave this film good reviews is an idiot.

Calling other critics idiots,way to go!
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Are you that Armond White guy?
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

I just thought of this but are the kids in Super 8 supposded to be like JJ Abrams when he was a kid? Because they are trying to make a movie and stuff it it seems like it might relate to JJ Abrams as a kid.

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsterVision

[QUOTE="MonsterVision"]

[QUOTE="SilverSignal"]

MonsieurX

I am a film critic. Super 8 made me a film critic, you know why? Because every other film critic out there that gave this film good reviews is an idiot.

Calling other critics idiots,way to go!

I'm trying to save you money here. Super 8 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's like they set it up like E.T, a lonley kid or whatever. And then.............."LETS USE THE TRAIN CRASH FOR OUR MOVIE!" Pothead "You want weed"?

All the characters were so squished together, I can't believe you guys like this film.

And then of course, there is another plot going on with an alien. Hardly any backstory at all, but the alien just wanted to go home. WTF? the movie wasn't even about the alien until.... it was like 5 different plots at once.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#21 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

I think it is my favorite movie of the year so far. Everything with the kids I found great. The movie was entertaining, fun, and thrilling. It's nothing we haven't seen before, and the ending was a little dissapointing, but overall I thought it was great.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

SilverSignal

So critics is the all knowing now?what?

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonsterVision

I think it is my favorite movie of the year so far. Everything with the kids I found great. The movie was entertaining, fun, and thrilling. It's nothing we haven't seen before, and the ending was a little dissapointing, but overall I thought it was great.

Lebbin

It wasn't just the ending that was bad. It was the entire film, most notabley when the kids were arrested by the military guys and put in the backseat of the vehicle. It was shaky, and unnecessary when the monster attacked them, it was like the scene in Jurrasic Park when the T-Rex was attacking the kids in the truck.

Only this..... you couldn't tell what was going on because of the quick cuts... and then after the monster attacked, the kids just run off the road and that's it!

noxboxlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 noxboxlive

Yep sure is Dmad....

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="Lebbin"]

MonsterVision

It wasn't just the ending that was bad. It was the entire film, most notabley when the kids were arrested by the military guys and put in the backseat of the vehicle. It was shaky, and unnecessary when the monster attacked them, it was like the scene in Jurrasic Park when the T-Rex was attacking the kids in the truck.

Only this..... you couldn't tell what was going on because of the quick cuts... and then after the monster attacked, the kids just run off the road and that's it!

dude, chill out. Have you seen Green Lantern? That movie had more cheese than an extra large pizza.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

Yep sure is Dmad....

noxboxlive

If this is dmad then he is doing this because

*shades*

[spoiler]  [/spoiler]

YEEEEEAAAAAAAH

noxboxlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 noxboxlive

You have the same writing style as him.

You seem to go 'my opinion > everything you say

You make a lot of topics

These things are all stuff Dmad was

[not to mention you seemed to start posting when he got banned]

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]super 8 = best film ive seen all year.MonsterVision

Yeah, the kids were pretty great though. I loved the scenes that focused on the kids, was apathetic towards the monster scenes and rather disliked any scenes involving the adults (except the stoner). Imo the best moments of the film make it worth watching; I'd recommend it.
PleatedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PleatedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 131 Posts
I will be buying when it's released on bluray
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
the kids didnt have anything to do with the monsters story, he didnt need their help at all so the story is garbage!hadoken
I'm pretty sure were trying to use the monster antics as a tool to drive the development of the characters - which is what the film is actually about, imo. I wouldn't say they succeeded but still I think this is pretty clear.
MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonsterVision

Why is only one person in this thread besides me agreeing with me?

How can anyone like this film? None of these kids were interesting AT ALL. They swear whenever they can, they had no real personality, and they advertised Super 8 as a Mystery/Suspense film. Yet there was no suspense because most of the movie was just random events happening in a small town.

There were no clues that it was the Cloverfield monster because every "suspense" moment in the film did not provide any evidence that it was a Monster!

And once they showed it was the cloverfield monster, it was like..... ok, how is this shocking?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

MonsterVision

Different tastes?

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

[QUOTE="SilverSignal"]

MonsterVision

I am a film critic. Super 8 made me a film critic, you know why? Because every other film critic out there that gave this film good reviews is foolish.

so your self proclaimed movie critic opinion overrides every other "Real" movie critic? :lol: right...

im not listening to a word you say.

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonsterVision

[QUOTE="MonsterVision"]

[QUOTE="Lebbin"]

Allicrombie

dude, chill out. Have you seen Green Lantern? That movie had more cheese than an extra large pizza.

yeah I saw Green Lantern. That wasn't even a movie man.

PleatedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PleatedDreamer

[QUOTE="MonsterVision"]

MonsieurX

Different tastes?

How can anyone like this film? None of these kids were interesting AT ALL. They swear whenever they can, they had no real personality, and they advertised Super 8 as a Mystery/Suspense film. Yet there was no suspense because most of the movie was just random events happening in a small town.

There were no clues that it was the Cloverfield monster because every "suspense" moment in the film did not provide any evidence that it was a Monster!

And once they showed it was the cloverfield monster, it was like..... ok, how is this shocking?

MonsterVision
People will not always have the same ideas of what they enjoy. Understand this please
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

My favorite movie of the summer (hmm, maybe CA ties with it)

I enjoyed it more than HP (Yates stop changing *****:evil: )

goobertaco45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 goobertaco45
Member since 2008 • 263 Posts

1. The acting was great. If you are too jaded to realize this then at least admit it was good acting for 13 year old kids.

2. Your point about the kid cursing too much. Thats how kids talk nowadays, especially teenagers.Thats not bad filmmaking, that reality.

3. Admit it, if you were about to get shot by a man you thought was dead, or if a monster was about to eat you, you would curse too.

I was disappointed at the ending but overall I thought it was one of the better films of the year.

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MonsterVision

1. The acting was great. If you are too jaded to realize this then at least admit it was good acting for 13 year old kids.

2. Your point about the kid cursing too much. Thats how kids talk nowadays, especially teenagers.Thats not bad filmmaking, that reality.

3. Admit it, if you were about to get shot by a man you thought was dead, or if a monster was about to eat you, you would curse too.

I was disappointed at the ending but overall I thought it was one of the better films of the year.

goobertaco45

What I'm saying, is that the kids swear for no reason. Especially the TNT kid, he just didn't shut up.

Sure kids swear, but I felt like the extent of it was done....to make the audience laugh because most people are sheep nowadays and would laugh at anything. But you know what? I was laughing, not because the kid kept swearing non-stop, but because it was truly, and utterly embarrasing.

The acting was also not great at all. The kids knew about all sorts of drugs, their effects and withdrawl symptons. Duration of highness and all that stuff. These kids were not believable.

The kid obsessed with explosions was so one-dimensional and the other kids... did the other kids even exist?

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#40 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

[QUOTE="Lebbin"]

MonsterVision

Like I said, there is nothing in this movie that we haven't seen before. Many things in this movie have been done before, and done better. However, I think that it is better than the sum of it's parts and I loved everything about the kids filming their own little movie. I also felt that the relationship between the kids was realistic. And yes, some kids are stereotypes (explosives kid, pot head). I understand where you are coming from, because all the sci-fi elements aren't that well conceived. However, it was the kid's story that was what made the movie for me, and if that wasn't what you wanted to see when you saw the movie, I can see how you were disappointed.

PleatedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PleatedDreamer

[QUOTE="goobertaco45"]

MonsterVision

What I'm saying, is that the kids swear for no reason. Especially the TNT kid, he just didn't shut up.

Sure kids swear, but I felt like the extent of it was done....to make the audience laugh because most people are sheep nowadays and would laugh at anything. But you know what? I was laughing, not because the kid kept swearing non-stop, but because it was truly, and utterly embarrasing.

The acting was also not great at all. The kids knew about all sorts of drugs, their effects and withdrawl symptons. Duration of highness and all that stuff. These kids were not believable.

The kid obsessed with explosions was so one-dimensional and the other kids... did the other kids even exist?

I read a theory on a forum I visit that they actually died in the crash and that the director(zombie movie) and the girl were figments of the TNT kid all along.
MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MonsterVision

[QUOTE="MonsterVision"]

[QUOTE="Lebbin"]

Lebbin

Like I said, there is nothing in this movie that we haven't seen before. Many things in this movie have been done before, and done better. However, I think that it is better than the sum of it's parts and I loved everything about the kids filming their own little movie. I also felt that the relationship between the kids was realistic. And yes, some kids are stereotypes (explosives kid, pot head). I understand where you are coming from, because all the sci-fi elements aren't that well conceived. However, it was the kid's story that was what made the movie for me, and if that wasn't what you wanted to see when you saw the movie, I can see how you were disappointed.

fair view. I just felt Super 8 had no identity, kind of like LOST. It kept changing to meet the needs of the ever evolving script. You can tell the script was not complete before shooting the film, and that it was added as the movie went on.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I never saw the movie, but from the trailers I saw of it, I had low expectations.

Also, I liked Transformers 3.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I don't want to go of topic (ironically here), but wow I don't care to hear all this. Its one after another dumb opinion I don't care for full of negativity and I wanted to avoid it, but its clogging up OT.

Honestly, no offense to anyone. But all from the same person too? Damn if I don't know whose behind it.

But anyways, Super 8 was great so this is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts
JJ abrams creates the dumbest looking monsters ever. this was cloverfield JR
PleatedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PleatedDreamer
I understand sharing an opinion but not with forcing it upon us like you have.
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CaveJohnson1

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]

[QUOTE="MonsterVision"]

MonsterVision

the acting between the dad and his daughter, and the dad and his son, was so horrible, SO HORRIBLE, did you see the part where the girl was kidnapped by the monster after the dad crashed the car?

What about the black guy in the car that crashed the train? The black guy with no real backstory who crashed the train, first off, wow the trains sequence. It was so unnecessary, how did that car not blow up? Why did the black guy tell the kids they were going to die or whatever, it just didn't correlate with the plot.

Super 8 is horrible, every kid swears like a 30 year old would, it was obviously not Spielberg who directed this garbage, and you know what it was like?

SPOILER WARNING!

The black guy was a scientist who worked witht he monster when they captured it, he began to empathize with the monster after they formed a short psychic bond. He decided what the military was doing was unethitcal and decided to try and save the monster. That's the back story.

The train sequence was cool, it keeps you on the edge of your seat to see major characters having rough scrapes with death, it also released the monster and his spaceship, those were major plot points.

Cars don't magically explode in the real world, that's not how gasoline works.

Kids swear alot, they think it's cool, do you remember 6th grade? I do, kids talki like sailors. I didn't think they spoke that badly to the point where I would notice.

The black guy told them they were going to die because he new the government would kill them because they were witnesses to the crash and thus liabilities.

Did you pay attention at all?

D-RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 D-RS
Member since 2009 • 2003 Posts
I liked the film , not amazing , but a good one , i liked the acting and the whole kids romance and humor was amazing in this film , the Action Sequences were also good. The bad thing is that the ending could have been better , and there were lots of shock moments , which was a bit inappropriate for kids.
Proobie44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Proobie44
Member since 2006 • 5663 Posts

I'm actually in love with this film. It's so nostalgic to me and I see no problem with the ending. Why does everyone bash the ending?

MonsterVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MonsterVision

[QUOTE="MonsterVision"]

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]Good acting, plus some good moral and ethics issues covered.

CaveJohnson1

SPOILER WARNING!

The black guy was a scientist who worked witht he monster when they captured it, he began to empathize with the monster after they formed a short psychic bond. He decided what the military was doing was unethitcal and decided to try and save the monster. That's the back story.

The train sequence was cool, it keeps you on the edge of your seat to see major characters having rough scrapes with death, it also released the monster and his spaceship, those were major plot points.

Cars don't magically explode in the real world, that's not how gasoline works.

Kids swear alot, they think it's cool, do you remember 6th grade? I do, kids talki like sailors. I didn't think they spoke that badly to the point where I would notice.

The black guy told them they were going to die because he new the government would kill them because they were witnesses to the crash and thus liabilities.

Did you pay attention at all?

The car wasn't even totaled after it hit the train first of all. Secondly, the black guy survived the crash, Thirdly, you didn't feel empathy for the monster or the black guy because you never saw the relationship between him and the monster grow at all.

It was poorly executed, the whole film.