Hillary picks Kaine as VP

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I really dont know much about this guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

LInk

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

He's a good, albeit boring choice. Strong liberal credentials, governor of a swing state, and speaks Spanish fluently. Will likely also try to appeal to working-class whites in the rust belt states to counter Trump's plan of winning over those voters.

Will be hilarious seeing him debate Pence.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

A safe choice. I'm ok with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#5 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

A monkey using a typewriter could out think Mike Pence. I thought Hilary would pander to women with Elizabeth Warren. Hilary is a box ticker, and I thought she would want to check the women box, expecially with Trump's racist, misogynistic attacks against Warren.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@hillelslovak said:

A monkey using a typewriter could out think Mike Pence. I thought Hilary would pander to women with Elizabeth Warren. Hilary is a box ticker, and I thought she would want to check the women box, expecially with Trump's racist, misogynistic attacks against Warren.

Well she herself is a woman for that box :P I think Warren doesn't really do much to win independents, only shore up people already voting for Clinton. Warren is way better off in the Senate anyway where she can actually fight for change and legislation. A minority or up-and-coming politician like Julian Castro or Cory Booker would have been great to see, but Clinton is too safe to make a pick like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Hillary would have wrapped it up with an African American pick like Corey Booker because this election will be less about policies and more about mass appeal. If Kaine can fight off Pence Hillary may have a chance though. But I have a nagging suspicion that Trump may win this thing. He has too many folks eating up every word he spits. And lets be honest here, Hillary has a few too many strikes on her record.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

I have no idea who this guy is.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Hillary would have wrapped it up with an African American pick like Corey Booker because this election will be less about policies and more about mass appeal. If Kaine can fight off Pence Hillary may have a chance though. But I have a nagging suspicion that Trump may win this thing. He has too many folks eating up every word he spits. And lets be honest here, Hillary has a few too many strikes on her record.

Yet, even with all his true believers, he hasn't managed to pass up Hillary in the polls. It would be worrying if he had a majority of people eating up his every word word, but so far that's not the case.

How exactly does picking an African American=mass appeal?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@Aljosa23 said:
@hillelslovak said:

Well she herself is a woman for that box :P I think Warren doesn't really do much to win independents, only shore up people already voting for Clinton. Warren is way better off in the Senate anyway where she can actually fight for change and legislation. A minority or up-and-coming politician like Julian Castro or Cory Booker would have been great to see, but Clinton is too safe to make a pick like that.

Can an android be female? I think Warren would do work getting independents, but I agree that she is better in the Senate. I dont understand how she has been supporting Hilary in the last few months, considering she has spent her career fighting the types of policies Hilary has been proposing. Cory Booker would be a bad choice, he has completely sold out, taking cash from anyone in banking and big business who will dole it out.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Makes sense. Tim Kaine is popular in his home state and Virginia is a swing state since 2008. He's in line with the Democratic Party platform, is liberal, and is safe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@GreySeal9 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Yet, even with all his true believers, he hasn't managed to pass up Hillary in the polls. It would be worrying if he had a majority of people eating up his every word word, but so far that's not the case.

Africans turned out in record numbers the past 2 elections. In 2012, if the African American voter turn out resembled what it did in 2004 and before, Romney would have won the election. There were even more black voters in 2012 than white voters. Were they better off in 2012 than they were before? Or were they voting based on race? Are Trump supporters actually there because of his politics? If Hillary picked an African American running mate, hot on the heals of the shootings and division in this country, the African American base could have been rallied yet again. Instead we have 1 crazy white guy, and 3 other boring, rich white people. There will be a HUGE drop off in the turn out now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Don't really know much about the guy but it sounds like he's a safe choice so I guess that's good.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl

@hillelslovak said:

I dont understand how she has been supporting Hilary in the last few months, considering she has spent her career fighting the types of policies Hilary has been proposing.

Because political movement in the US occurs within the parties - it's a function of the two party system which is a function of our plurality rule elections.

To take your ball and go home because you didn't get everything you wanted is to sacrifice all the movement you've made.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@mattbbpl said:
@hillelslovak said:

I dont understand how she has been supporting Hilary in the last few months, considering she has spent her career fighting the types of policies Hilary has been proposing.

Because political movement in the US occurs within the parties - it's a function of the two party system which is a function of our plurality rule elections.

To take your ball and go home because you didn't get everything you wanted is to sacrifice all the movement you've made.

I acknowledge that, but they are diametric opposites in so many things, to turn face so quickly, was odd to me.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GreySeal9

@GoldenElementXL said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Africans turned out in record numbers the past 2 elections. In 2012, if the African American voter turn out resembled what it did in 2004 and before, Romney would have won the election. There were even more black voters in 2012 than white voters. Were they better off in 2012 than they were before? Or were they voting based on race? Are Trump supporters actually there because of his politics? If Hillary picked an African American running mate, hot on the heals of the shootings and division in this country, the African American base could have been rallied yet again. Instead we have 1 crazy white guy, and 3 other boring, rich white people. There will be a HUGE drop off in the turn out now.

There were not more black voters than white voters in 2012. That's not possible considering the size of the black population. I think what you're referring to is the fact that blacks had proportionally higher turnout. But if you're focusing on black turnout, what does have to do with mass appeal?

Also, you're discounting the fact that Clinton has proven to be quite adept at getting black voters to vote for her. Her margins with black voters over Bernie Sanders were just as impressive as Obama's was against her, maybe even more so. Not to mention that blacks despise Trump (he's actually polling at 0% with blacks in Pennsylvania and Ohio) and Hispanics can be mobilized due to his rhetoric.

And again, even if you have a nagging feeling that Trump will win (and yes, he can win), right now the data shows that Clinton is the clear favorite. The idea that Clinton is at some kind of disadvantage is just not consistent with the facts at the moment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@GreySeal9 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Only way Trump wins if he wins the electoral votes. He will lose general election, but with the stupid system, you just have to win certain battleground states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. Fortunately, I think people are sane enough to not go with him.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mark1974

@hillelslovak: She is doing it because of Donald Trump. In any other scenario she would not be a fervent supporter of Hillary and the same goes for Bernie. This Trump thing is serious shit!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GreySeal9

@sonicare said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Only way Trump wins if he wins the electoral votes. He will lose general election, but with the stupid system, you just have to win certain battleground states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. Fortunately, I think people are sane enough to not go with him.

True, but the electoral vote almost always lines up with popular vote. Not to mention that Trump has to win far more swing states than Hillary does to get to 270.

Liberals shouldn't get complacent, but I'm not going to worry until Trump takes a clear lead in the polls and sustains it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@mark1974 said:

@hillelslovak: She is doing it because of Donald Trump. In any other scenario she would not be a fervent supporter of Hillary and the same goes for Bernie. This Trump thing is serious shit!

I can see your point. What a sad state of affairs when Hilary is a candidate to begin with, and her platform is "That guy sucks!!" What the hell is wrong with us, 300 million people, and these are the 2 sociopathic shaved apes we chose.....

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mark1974

@hillelslovak said:
@mark1974 said:

I can see your point. What a sad state of affairs when Hilary is a candidate to begin with, and her platform is "That guy sucks!!" What the hell is wrong with us, 300 million people, and these are the 2 sociopathic shaved apes we chose.....

I'm with you. I think this election has been a disaster and we need to start over. I can't believe this is what the electorate voted for. Have we really become that stupid?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Africans turned out in record numbers the past 2 elections.

that's odd considering they aren't supposed to be able to vote in US elections.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@GreySeal9 said:

There were not more black voters than white voters in 2012. That's not possible considering the size of the black population. I think what you're referring to is the fact that blacks had proportionally higher turnout. But if you're focusing on black turnout, what does have to do with mass appeal.

Also, you're discounting the fact that Clinton has proven to be quite adept at getting black voters to vote for her. Her margins with black voters over Bernie Sanders were just as impressive as Obama's was against her, maybe even more so. Not to mention that blacks despise Trump (he's actually polling at 0% with blacks in Pennsylvania and Ohio) and Hispanics can be mobilized due to his rhetoric.

And again, even if you have a nagging feeling that Trump will win (and yes, he can win), right now the data shows that Clinton is the clear favorite. The idea that Clinton is at some kind of disadvantage is just not consistent with the facts at the moment.

Yes, sorry I meant percentage not total number. And I guess my "mass appeal" comment is the appeal to all races, gender and ages. Obama appealed more to young voters and African Americans than Hillary does. She has a strong lead over Trump there, sure. But as the demographic gets older and whiter, the results swing the other way. And it's the older folks that turn out in force on election night. And I'm not sure where you are getting that Clinton is a clear winner. Check these polls here. Hell, Michael Moore even said Trump will win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@Storm_Marine said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Gotta work on those Voter ID laws obviously...

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mark1974

@GoldenElementXL said:
@Storm_Marine said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Gotta work on those Voter ID laws obviously...

Mike Pence in Indiana has it down to a science.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

we all knew she would pick some one who wouldnt steal any spot light from her and would be a lap dog with no voice or say in anything other than to be a Yes Man for her.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GreySeal9

@GoldenElementXL said:
@GreySeal9 said:

There were not more black voters than white voters in 2012. That's not possible considering the size of the black population. I think what you're referring to is the fact that blacks had proportionally higher turnout. But if you're focusing on black turnout, what does have to do with mass appeal.

Yes, sorry I meant percentage not total number. And I guess my "mass appeal" comment is the appeal to all races, gender and ages. Obama appealed more to young voters and African Americans than Hillary does. She has a strong lead over Trump there, sure. But as the demographic gets older and whiter, the results swing the other way. And it's the older folks that turn out in force on election night. And I'm not sure where you are getting that Clinton is a clear winner. Check these polls here. Hell, Michael Moore even said Trump will win.

Who cares what Michael Moore says?

That poll that you linked to shows Hillary winning by 4 points. Yes, the lead has narrowed, but if after a probable convention bounce, Trump is still behind, that alone shows that Trump is not running that strongly against Hillary.

I didn't say that she's a clear winner. I said she's a clear favorite. If you click on the link I provided, it links to a website that compiles all the polling data and feeds it into a prediction model. The site currently has has at a 65% chance of winning under one model and a 80% chance of winning under another. The model also determines that if the election were held today, Hillary would win 312 to 226. That is not a sure thing, but that's clearly an advantage for Hillary.

I don't get why you're assuming that the demographics will get whiter. Do you have evidence for that?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@GreySeal9 said:

Who cares what Michael Moore says?

Just quoting this for emphasis.

There are people all over the map saying Clinton will win or Trump will, and even a few who are saying that Gary Johnson will win.

Some of them are worth listening to to investigate their rationale - people who are statisticians, pollsters, party insiders, or who otherwise have some relevant experience and information.

But Michael Moore? You might as well heed the words of Clint Eastwood, Ted Nugent, or Scott Baio on the matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Nothing much to say about him, he's your average sellout

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

I'm ready for this nation to fall like rome just get it over with

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Clinton's has a very high chance of beating trump at this point. Trump has literally no ground game which polls probably won't ever be able to take into account, trump's pissing off hispanics and some of the polls we have that focus mostly on hispanic voters show him polling below 20% with hispanics right now which is a record low for a presidential candidate since 1976.There was one poll released by a latino voting group that looked at latino's opinion on the RNC and each presidential candidate. In each day of the RNC Trump's share of the latino vote dropped from the previous day. On the fourth day he only had 13% of latino voters supporting him compared to 76% for Hilary according to the poll conducted by this latino voting group. Trump needs to get a decent amount of of hispanics to support him to win because getting sub 20% of the hispanic vote will hurt him really bad in this election. Trunp's pissing off women also and hilary's destroying him with women. Trump also has to win all of the swing states to have a chance of winning this election. He has a good chance of losing in all of them at this point. In reality trump only has a 20%-25% chance of winning this election at this point and the RNC has not changed that even though some sites like 538 have his chances of winning way to high at this point.

Link to the latino data I mentioned.

http://www.latinodecisions.com/blog/2016/07/22/highlights-from-day-4-of-lvpldfusion-gop-convention-poll/

Polling data should be in that link.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

We are losing either way.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@mark1974:

I still don't think Hillary is a bad candidate. But heh, that's me, I think she will be a good president.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

reeks of desperation to reclaim what little white male vote they can muster

all that talk about how Trump was a plant to shoehorn in Clinton... well, I'm beginning to think it's the other way around, better get use to calling Trump our next president

Loading Video...

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

reeks of desperation to reclaim what little white male vote they can muster

all that talk about how Trump was a plant to shoehorn in Clinton... well, I'm beginning to think it's the other way around, better get use to calling Trump our next president

Loading Video...

WTF did I just watch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@kend0_kap0ni said:

we all knew she would pick some one who wouldnt steal any spot light from her and would be a lap dog with no voice or say in anything other than to be a Yes Man for her.

lmao so kind of like Trump's Pence pick?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Meh very dull pick. I was hoping it would be Corey Booker or Sherrod Brown. There's a couple others I could name like Bernie or Warren, but I never thought they had a shot.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

@Mercenary848: if you think that's "WTF?!", you should see his other videos

SarahF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SarahF
Member since 2015 • 182 Posts

@GoldenElementXL: you think trump can win when he is polling worse than Romney with the key groups who actually swing these things one way or the other?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mark1974

@AFBrat77 said:

@mark1974:

I still don't think Hillary is a bad candidate. But heh, that's me, I think she will be a good president.

She could be worse. I think she isn't the best type of person but she will probably be a reasonable status quo president without anything horrible occurring that I feel I would need to worry too much about. I mean it's all relative and she would be more of the same and I'm ok with that. Compared to Trump I absolutely love her. Compared to a reasonable candidate I'm luke warm.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58297 Posts
@hillelslovak said:

That'd be as redundant as Trump picking Pence; Trump already has conservative votes, and Hilary already has women's votes. Pence was a dumb choice because why fight for votes you already have? and Warren would have been a dumb choice for the same reason.

Kaine is a smart choice, that will get Hillary a lot of the Sander's crowd, he is pretty liberal. Sanders supporters are a little bitter and might not vote for Hillary out of spite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@mrbojangles25 said:
@hillelslovak said:

That'd be as redundant as Trump picking Pence; Trump already has conservative votes, and Hilary already has women's votes. Pence was a dumb choice because why fight for votes you already have? and Warren would have been a dumb choice for the same reason.

Kaine is a smart choice, that will get Hillary a lot of the Sander's crowd, he is pretty liberal. Sanders supporters are a little bitter and might not vote for Hillary out of spite.

If that is true, they are idiots. I dont get that take my ball and run home mentality.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@lamprey263: man I can't get enough of that video!

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

pence is a insider dude with the connections to wall street, thats why he got him

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58297 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@hillelslovak said:

If that is true, they are idiots. I dont get that take my ball and run home mentality.

About Sanders supporters? yeah, they're the opposite-but-same as Trump supporters imo, making a decision based on emotion or wants (versus logic and needs). While Trump preys on your fears, Sanders appeals to your hopes. Both are corrupt ways to get votes imo, though I'd prefer people err on the latter fallacy :D

But both sides are also voting as much against Hillary as they are for their candidate, it seems like. With Kaine, there is less reason to vote against Hillary; he is not as far left as Sanders (few people are), but if you go down the "Liberal check list", he has all those boxes marked you'd expect a liberal have marked.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mark1974

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

pence is a insider dude with the connections to wall street, thats why he got him

I figure it is because of Pence's connections to the koch brothers. Trump needs campaign money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

He is a weird ass choice. Trump is now trying to appeal to the LGBT(**** your q) community, so he picks a virulent homophobe religious crazy. He talks about management all the time, yet choose a guy who has run his state budget's dick into the dirt. He wants to appeal to Minorities, so he chooses a guy who is terrified of brown people.

I dont get it....

Jakejack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jakejack
Member since 2003 • 181 Posts

@hillelslovak: It cracks me up how much of a generic "stock" liberal you are. Every post of yours is filled with the same old boring tactics and buzzwords.

"That person doesn't share my opinion! He is a rrracciiissssttt homophobe, xenophobic, misogynist, old WHITE MALE!" Are you a bot?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Jakejack said:

@hillelslovak: It cracks me up how much of a generic "stock" liberal you are. Every post of yours is filled with the same old boring tactics and buzzwords.

"That person doesn't share my opinion! He is a rrracciiissssttt homophobe, xenophobic, misogynist, old WHITE MALE!" Are you a bot?

Are you aware of who Mike Pence is?

Jakejack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jakejack
Member since 2003 • 181 Posts

@Aljosa23: Yeah. I don't like Mike Pence at all. Can't stand the guy. However, I am not going to sensationalize the whole thing by saying "he is afraid of all brown people!" Surprised nobody has called him Hitler yet.