High school track team disqualified for making religious gesture

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

http://nation.foxnews.com/war-religion/2013/05/03/school-track-team-disqualified-making-religious-gesture

seriously? i mean seriously?.......

How did the "W" so quickly become "DQ"? Well. when the anchor of the relay team crossed the finish line, he won the race, raised his finger to the sky and that gesture caused the winning regional's relay team to be disqualified.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

lol

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kingkong0124

lol

worlock77

can you empathize with the student athlete? put yourself in his shoes. 

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

legit.

you are not allowed to rub it in that god hates the other team.

it's unsportsmanlike conduct.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

That's pretty stupid

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

lol

kingkong0124

No.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kingkong0124

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

lol

worlock77

No.

he worked hard during the cold winter months preparing for this race. he wins it all for his team in dramatic fashion. points his finger up at God in appreciation. then it's all taken away.
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
They weren't DQ'ed for making a religious gesture. They were DQ'ed for raising his hand in a perceived celebratory manner, which happened to be a religious gesture. From the main story (which your link omits): ""It's a harsh consequence for what some people may deem a small gesture. The rule states no celebratory gestures including raising your arms," explains Columbus I.S.D. Superintendent Robert O'Connor. According to the UIL the relay team was disqualified for "unsporting conduct". The UIL also points out, it does not have a rule prohibiting religious expression. "You can do whatever you want to in terms of prayer, kneeling or whatever you want to once you get out of the competition area. You just can't do it in the competition area. It goes back to the taunting rule. I can't taunt my opponent," O'Connor explains."
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Correction:  High school track team disqualified for excessive celebration.  Link.

Still a silly reason, but less attention-grabbing than "for making religious gesture".

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

kingkong0124

No.

he worked hard during the cold winter months preparing for this race. he wins it all for his team in dramatic fashion. points his finger up at God in appreciation. then it's all taken away.

Sucks for him, but rules are rules, and if he's competing in something he should be aware of and abide by the rules.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

They weren't DQ'ed for making a religious gesture. They were DQ'ed for raising his hand in a perceived celebratory manner, which happened to be a religious gesture. From the main story (which your link omits): ""It's a harsh consequence for what some people may deem a small gesture. The rule states no celebratory gestures including raising your arms," explains Columbus I.S.D. Superintendent Robert O'Connor. According to the UIL the relay team was disqualified for "unsporting conduct". The UIL also points out, it does not have a rule prohibiting religious expression. "You can do whatever you want to in terms of prayer, kneeling or whatever you want to once you get out of the competition area. You just can't do it in the competition area. It goes back to the taunting rule. I can't taunt my opponent," O'Connor explains."Ring_of_fire

That kind of sucks for the team

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

That's pretty stupid but being disqualified for religious or political gestures at sporting events isn't anything new.

220px-Carlos-Smith.jpg

Still, the gesture he made was harmless.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

kingkong0124

No.

the lord giveth and he also taketh away.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

Correction:  High school track team disqualified for excessive celebration.  Link.

Still a silly reason, but less attention-grabbing than "for making religious gesture".

Oleg_Huzwog

well it was fox news 

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

They weren't DQ'ed for making a religious gesture. They were DQ'ed for raising his hand in a perceived celebratory manner, which happened to be a religious gesture. From the main story (which your link omits): ""It's a harsh consequence for what some people may deem a small gesture. The rule states no celebratory gestures including raising your arms," explains Columbus I.S.D. Superintendent Robert O'Connor. According to the UIL the relay team was disqualified for "unsporting conduct". The UIL also points out, it does not have a rule prohibiting religious expression. "You can do whatever you want to in terms of prayer, kneeling or whatever you want to once you get out of the competition area. You just can't do it in the competition area. It goes back to the taunting rule. I can't taunt my opponent," O'Connor explains."Ring_of_fire

Hmm very misleading title then

Stupid rule but thats how she goes sometimes

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riverwolf007

i will never understand you guys.

by the tennents of your own belief system the origin of everything is from the lord.

so if this happened the lord did it to teach this  dude a lesson about humility or whatever.

now you want to complain and make a big deal about it?

flying in the face of gods own wishes?

so now you know better than god his damn self how to run this shyt?

brave choice to question the will of god i must say.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

Fox Nation taking an event out of context in order to turn it into a white/christian/conservative persecution story? Well I never.

Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts
They got DQed for showboating. Not a religious gesture
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 worlock77

by the tennents of your own belief system the origin of everything is from the lord.

so if this happened the lord did it to teach this  dude a lesson about humility or whatever.

Riverwolf007

4 year-old dies of cancer - "it's the Lord's will".

High school ahtelete violates the rules he agreed to compete by and get stripped of his win - "this is an outrage!"

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

legit.

Riverwolf007

I don't understand why the OP ignored this poster's comment. It makes a lot of sense. I'm no religious man, but I'd assume that for "God" to favor one team, then he dislikes the other team. Pretty insulting especially if the other team are also religious.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ring_of_fire

[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]They weren't DQ'ed for making a religious gesture. They were DQ'ed for raising his hand in a perceived celebratory manner, which happened to be a religious gesture. From the main story (which your link omits): ""It's a harsh consequence for what some people may deem a small gesture. The rule states no celebratory gestures including raising your arms," explains Columbus I.S.D. Superintendent Robert O'Connor. According to the UIL the relay team was disqualified for "unsporting conduct". The UIL also points out, it does not have a rule prohibiting religious expression. "You can do whatever you want to in terms of prayer, kneeling or whatever you want to once you get out of the competition area. You just can't do it in the competition area. It goes back to the taunting rule. I can't taunt my opponent," O'Connor explains."lostrib

That kind of sucks for the team

yeah, and it is a bit silly. But it is a rule and should be enforced equally, religious gesture or not.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I got reprimanded in college for writing a paper using biological traits to show of "white genes" are inferior to black "genes" - the main premise being blacks are evolutionary more advanced than whites if you compared them to each other.

I guess you can't do anything in n academic setting if it offends someone.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Absolutely ridiculous. Some of the people we have running our public schools is truly terrifying.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Riverwolf007

Absolutely ridiculous. Some of the people we have running our public schools is truly terrifying.

Pirate700

it was gods will because if it was not it would not have happened.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

legit.

RadecSupreme

I don't understand why the OP ignored this poster's comment. It makes a lot of sense. I'm no religious man, but I'd assume that for "God" to favor one team, then he dislikes the other team. Pretty insulting especially if the other team are also religious.

Oh give me a break. Anyone who would honestly be offended by that needs to get a fvcking life. And how do you know they weren't thanking God for allowing them to make it through the event with no injuries or just for the ability to be able to complete?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

you should update the OP KK

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Big surprise. Fox News calling "war on religion" when it's excess celebration.

Classy as always.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ring_of_fire

[QUOTE="RadecSupreme"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

legit.

Pirate700

Oh give me a break. Anyone who would honestly be offended by that needs to get a fvcking life. And how do you know they weren't thinking God for allowing them to make it through the event with no injuries or just for the ability to be able to complete?

why should there be a "religious exemption" from the "no celebratory gesture" rule?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="RadecSupreme"]

Ring_of_fire

Oh give me a break. Anyone who would honestly be offended by that needs to get a fvcking life. And how do you know they weren't thinking God for allowing them to make it through the event with no injuries or just for the ability to be able to complete?

why should there be a "religious exemption" from the "no celebratory gesture" rule?

I never said it should be exempt. The no celebration rule is just as retarded though. Our public school system is turning today's kids into a bunch of weenies that can't handle anything and it's because of shit like this.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib

[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Oh give me a break. Anyone who would honestly be offended by that needs to get a fvcking life. And how do you know they weren't thinking God for allowing them to make it through the event with no injuries or just for the ability to be able to complete?

Pirate700

I never said it should be exempt. The no celebration rule is just as retarded though. Our public school system is turning today's kids into a bunch of weenies that can't handle anything and it's because of shit like this.

Yeah pretty much.  Gotta make a rule so people's feelings don't get hurt.  If they don't want to feel bad, perhaps they should win

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44761 Posts
no, they were disqualified for unsporting conduct a finger in the sky is official "we're number 1" taunting gesture, it's like the sports world euphemism of one team's fans giving the other team's fans the finger it most likely wasn't a religious gesture, it was just called on afterwards to fight the penalty and get social conservative trolls to ally with their cause
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pirate700

no, they were disqualified for unsporting conduct a finger in the sky is official "we're number 1" taunting gesture, it's like the sports world euphemism of one team's fans giving the other team's fans the finger it most likely wasn't a religious gesture, it was just called on afterwards to fight the penalty and get social conservative trolls to ally with their causelamprey263
OMG, no it's not. Thanks for proving my point though...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44761 Posts

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]no, they were disqualified for unsporting conduct a finger in the sky is official "we're number 1" taunting gesture, it's like the sports world euphemism of one team's fans giving the other team's fans the finger it most likely wasn't a religious gesture, it was just called on afterwards to fight the penalty and get social conservative trolls to ally with their causePirate700

OMG, no it's not. Thanks for proving my point though...

I'm not arguing it wasn't a over-reaction on part to disqualify them, I'm just arguing it likely wasn't a religious gesture. It's just another reason for FoxNews to make it look like an evil secular anti-religion world is punishing success. If you ask me kids these days gotta learn the value of showmanship.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]no, they were disqualified for unsporting conduct a finger in the sky is official "we're number 1" taunting gesture, it's like the sports world euphemism of one team's fans giving the other team's fans the finger it most likely wasn't a religious gesture, it was just called on afterwards to fight the penalty and get social conservative trolls to ally with their cause

There's a difference between taunting the opponents loss and celebrating your win. I think this was a fairly harmless gesture and may have had no religous signficance. I wouldnt think raising your hand in victory should be something that gets you DQ'd. That's just stupid and is a failure on the part of that district. There are certainly ways to taunt opponents, and that can be banned, but banning an enthusiastic response to a win is just plain stupid.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]no, they were disqualified for unsporting conduct a finger in the sky is official "we're number 1" taunting gesture, it's like the sports world euphemism of one team's fans giving the other team's fans the finger it most likely wasn't a religious gesture, it was just called on afterwards to fight the penalty and get social conservative trolls to ally with their cause

There's a difference between taunting the opponents loss and celebrating your win. I think this was a fairly harmless gesture and may have had no religous signficance. I wouldnt think raising your hand in victory should be something that gets you DQ'd. That's just stupid and is a failure on the part of that district. There are certainly ways to taunt opponents, and that can be banned, but banning an enthusiastic response to a win is just plain stupid.

What's wrong with taunting?
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
How ridiculous. Banning celebratory gestures all together? Stupid as hell. "Okay, you won, but don't make any physical movements indicating that you did".
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38703 Posts
how is it religious?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pirate700

How ridiculous. Banning celebratory gestures all together? Stupid as hell. "Okay, you won, but don't make any physical movements indicating that you did".XilePrincess
I guess when a team wins, they're just supposed to quietly walk back to the bleachers and sit down. I wonder if high fiving  will get you busted now also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]How ridiculous. Banning celebratory gestures all together? Stupid as hell. "Okay, you won, but don't make any physical movements indicating that you did".Pirate700

I guess when a team wins, they're just supposed to quietly walk back to the bleachers and sit down. I wonder if high fiving  will get you busted now also.

If you raise your hand while giving the high five, that's 3 months in jail.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

worlock77

4 year-old dies of cancer - "it's the Lord's will".

High school ahtelete violates the rules he agreed to compete by and get stripped of his win - "this is an outrage!"

i don't think anyone liked my argument of how this happening is exactly what the almighty wanted to happen.

apparently only life and death fall under gods department and regulating sporting events falls under satan's  and the dirty secular liberals jurisdiction.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]How ridiculous. Banning celebratory gestures all together? Stupid as hell. "Okay, you won, but don't make any physical movements indicating that you did".sonicare

If you raise your hand while giving the high five, that's 3 months in jail.

Jail time probably isn't far off. You offended that poor kid! :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Pirate700

first world problems

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
The title of this thread is pretty misleading. They were disqualified for the gesture regardless of the affiliation. What they did was against the rules. It must suck to get disqualified but I can understand why the rule is there
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pirate700

The title of this thread is pretty misleading. They were disqualified for the gesture regardless of the affiliation. What they did was against the rules. It must suck to get disqualified but I can understand why the rule is thereNEWMAHAY
You can understand not being able to celebrate winning? Why even bother to compete at that point?

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NEWMAHAY

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]The title of this thread is pretty misleading. They were disqualified for the gesture regardless of the affiliation. What they did was against the rules. It must suck to get disqualified but I can understand why the rule is therePirate700

You can understand not being able to celebrate winning? Why even bother to compete at that point?

Read what the rule is... its against taunting and unsportmanlike conduct... They aren't prohibiting celebration after you get off the competition area.

If they wanted the rule out, then petition to get it removed. They did the race, the race had rules, the rule was broke.

lol@Why even bother to compete at that point?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Alison-Brie1.gif

"The star of both "Parks and Recreation" and "Mad Men" told Esquire her favorite item of clothing is shorts with pockets. Unless she's doing a photo shoot, of course."

They can't even get the info right on their "pic of the day" so not holding my breath as to the accuracy of their stories for some reason....

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NEWMAHAY
Media wants hits to their site and make controversy
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]The title of this thread is pretty misleading. They were disqualified for the gesture regardless of the affiliation. What they did was against the rules. It must suck to get disqualified but I can understand why the rule is thereNEWMAHAY

Read what the rule is, its against taunting and unsportmanlike conduct... They aren't prohibiting celebration after you get off the competition area. If they wanted the rule out, then petition to get it removed. They did the race, the race had rules, the rule was broke.

There was no taunting or unsportsmanlike conduct...This is exactly my point. The public school system is raising a bunch of weenies. Kids need to learn if they don't like the other team celebrating a win, then don't lose. That's the point of youth sports. It teaches life skills and much if it is learning to deal with losing. If a finger in the air is unsportsmanlike or offensive now, today's kids and our future are doomed. I wonder how long till a sports loss makes a kid kill himself and sports are banned in schools all together.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Rule says you can't overly celebrate. It's a stupid rule but a rule nonetheless. Don't play the game if you won't follow the rules.