Here we go again: French weekly publishes Mohammad cartoons

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

(Reuters) - French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo published cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad on Wednesday, a move criticised by the French authorities which sent riot police to protect the magazine's offices.

Issues of the magazine hit newsstands with a front cover showing an Orthodox Jew pushing a turbaned figure in a wheelchair with several caricatures of the Prophet on its inside pages, including some of him naked.

The front page cartoon had the wheelchair-bound figure saying "You mustn't mock" under the headline "Untouchable 2", a reference to a hugely popular French movie about a paralysed rich white man and his black assistant.

The publication came amid widespread outrage over a short film, made with private funds in the United States, that mocks the Prophet and has ignited days of sometimes deadly protests in the Arab world, Africa, Asia and some Western countries.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius criticised the move as a provocation and said he had ordered security beefed up at French diplomatic offices in the Muslim world.

Charlie Hebdo's Paris offices were fire bombed last November after it published a mocking caricature of Mohammad. In 2005, Danish cartoons of the Prophet sparked a wave of violent protests across the Muslim world that killed at least 50 people.

Many Muslims consider any representation of Allah or the Prophet Mohammad offensive.

"Is it relevant and intelligent in this environment to add fuel to the fire? The answer is no," Fabius told France Info radio. "I'm very worried... and when I saw this I immediately issued instructions for special security precautions to be taken in all the countries where it could be a problem."

The government has called for restraint over the cartoons, restating the principles of free speech in France and urging those shocked by the images to take action through the courts.

Muslim leaders in France, which has Europe's largest Muslim population, have appealed for calm.

As outrage over the anti-Muslim film continues to fuel violence and protests across the Islamic world, French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said the authorities had rejected a request to hold a march against the film in Paris.

"There is no reason for us to allow conflicts that do not concern France to enter our country," Ayrault told RTL radio.

Social media had circulated calls for a protest on Saturday against the film, after police arrested about 150 people who tried to take part in an unauthorised protest near the U.S. Embassy in Paris last week.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/09/19/uk-protests-france-idUKBRE88I0BS20120919

some men just want to watch the world burn

charlie-hebdo-cover.jpeg?maxX=590&maxY=7

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

brb, making popcorn

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I think praline made a topic about this yesterday. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29292268/charlie-hebdo-firebombed-last-year-opens-with-new-muhammed-cartoon-tomorrow
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Many muslims need to grow some thicker skin and those of the anti-muslim persuasion need to stop acting stupid.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

That picture is supposed to be offensive?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

That picture is supposed to be offensive?

Pirate700
Seems easy to see why it would be largely offensive to certain groups. It shouldn't be a big deal in an ideal world.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I don't understand whats wrong with drawing Muhammad, religions are mocked all the time.

3qvnef.jpg

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
I bet he feels edgy. :roll:
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

On one hand, I think people in general need to take in to account cause and effect. This cartoon could cause some people to become violent. People should always be considering what the consequences of their actions are. On the other hand, we can't resort to going in to a blame-the-victim mentality. Someone has all the right in the world to make a cartoon like this, and if people react violently to it, that is them wronging and victimizing other people and not the other way around.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
If people just ignored them everything would be good. But noooo~ Anyway,I think that was a BIT childish.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

On one hand, I think people in general need to take in to account cause and effect. This cartoon could cause some people to become violent. People should always be considering what the consequences of their actions are. On the other hand, we can't resort to going in to a blame-the-victim mentality. Someone has all the right in the world to make a cartoon like this, and if people react violently to it, that is them wronging and victimizing other people and not the other way around.

_BlueDuck_

The whole point is the cartoon shouldn't make people violent. We can't just keep suppressing anything that could spark violent protests from Muslims forever. Ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

The problem is there is a large chunk of a religious group who believes "blasphemies" against their religion should be punished.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
haha Those guys had their offices fire-bombed less than a year ago for publishing a Muhammad cartoon. am a bit impressed they would still do it.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Mohammad is the new Garfield.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pirate700

_BlueDuck_

It's a cartoon. You can't live life walking on egg shells because you may piss off a group of hyper sensitive nutjobs. Society shouldn't have to live in such fear that you can't make a cartoon in fear of violence.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Love it. Can anyone who speaks French translate?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pirate700

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

Wasdie

The whole point is the cartoon shouldn't make people violent. We can't just keep suppressing anything that could spark violent protests from Muslims forever. Ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

The problem is there is a large chunk of a religious group who believes "blasphemies" against their religion should be punished.

Exactly. The problem is the people who get overly offended by this. Not the cartoon.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700

Love it. Can anyone who speaks French translate?

airshocker

"Must not laugh"

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

Wasdie

I think of it in the same way people look at the issue of women who are sexually harassed for wearing suggestive/revealing clothing. Yes, on one hand, I think parading infront of a bunch of known rapists (or to be a bit more realistic, walking home in a bad neighbourhood alone at night) half-naked isn't a smart or good idea. But at the end of the day, the clothing choices of a woman shouldn't cause people to become sexual predators. The real problem isn't the expression of the woman (with her choice of clothing), but rather the people who react violently to it.

Same things apply to this situation.

Personally, I wonder. If this is the floodgates opening for common, open ridicule of Mohammad (say it becomes just as common as ridicule of Jesus), would everyone eventually calm down? Become desensitized to it? I can see offended communities every few years decide to get offended and start so protests, but if the offense is constant, will people really spend the rest of their lives outraged over simple, foreign cartoons or films that really have no effect on their lives?

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sajo7
It's a cartoon. You can't live life walking on egg shells because you may piss off a group of hyper sensitive nutjobs. Society shouldn't have to live in such fear that you can't make a cartoon in fear of violence.Pirate700
I don't think anyone is disputing that, but I think there is a difference between not being able to express an opinion versus being deliberately antagonistic. He has every right to make that cartoon, but I hope he is at least aware what he is doing has consequences for everyone. Obviously there is no satisfying extremists, but a normal Muslim would still be in there right to find the cartoon, and we really don't need any more divisive issues with the Muslim community at this point.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I think of it in the same way people look at the issue of women who are sexually harassed for wearing suggestive/revealing clothing. Yes, on one hand, I think parading infront of a bunch of known rapists (or to be a bit more realistic, walking home in a bad neighbourhood alone at night) half-naked isn't a smart or good idea. But at the end of the day, the clothing choices of a woman shouldn't cause people to become sexual predators. The real problem isn't the expression of the woman (with her choice of clothing), but rather the people who react violently to it.

Same things apply to this situation.

Personally, I wonder. If this is the floodgates opening for common, open ridicule of Mohammad (say it becomes just as common as ridicule of Jesus), would everyone eventually calm down? Become desensitized to it? I can see offended communities every few years decide to get offended and start so protests, but if the offense is constant, will people really spend the rest of their lives outraged over simple, foreign cartoons or films that really have no effect on their lives?

_BlueDuck_

LOL at your post. Victim-blaming makes me sick.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]It's a cartoon. You can't live life walking on egg shells because you may piss off a group of hyper sensitive nutjobs. Society shouldn't have to live in such fear that you can't make a cartoon in fear of violence.Sajo7
I don't think anyone is disputing that, but I think there is a difference between not being able to express an opinion versus being deliberately antagonistic.

Trust me, I completely agree normally. In this case though, the target is so easily offended that they almost beg to have parodies or jokes made about them.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sajo7

[QUOTE="Sajo7"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]It's a cartoon. You can't live life walking on egg shells because you may piss off a group of hyper sensitive nutjobs. Society shouldn't have to live in such fear that you can't make a cartoon in fear of violence.Pirate700

I don't think anyone is disputing that, but I think there is a difference between not being able to express an opinion versus being deliberately antagonistic.

Trust me, I completely agree normally. In this case though, the target is so easily offended that they almost beg to have parodies or jokes made about them.

Resist the temptation! :P
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Sajo7"] I don't think anyone is disputing that, but I think there is a difference between not being able to express an opinion versus being deliberately antagonistic. Sajo7

Resist the temptation! :P

Well if nothing else, the paper is getting publicity. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="pie-junior"]haha Those guys had their offices fire-bombed less than a year ago for publishing a Muhammad cartoon. am a bit impressed they would still do it.

Some people refuse to be intimidated.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I wonder if French flag will be burned in the same magnitude as American flags.

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
If there are riots over this I feel sorry for the human race. It's basic free speech, its all for light humour; Islam needs to grow a thicker skin and not get so insanely angry when someone draws their prophet.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

I wonder if French flag will be burned in the same magnitude as American flags.

jimkabrhel
selling extra-flammable american flags over there would be a great business.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

some french ambassador is now gonna get shot, somewhere, by somebody :lol:

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pirate700

indzman

Lets hope not. Been enough of that crap already.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

Pirate700

Lets hope not. Been enough of that crap already.

not sure. Seems french publication provoking muslims. Lets wait for a day or two to see how it ends up lol

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FMAB_GTO

indzman
That would be sad and wrong if it happened,but let's face it,if it happened,they kinda brought this upon themselves.
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

It shows that there are those that will refuse to be intimidated or scared into submission.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

People need to chill. It's just a cartoon.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

FMAB_GTO

That would be sad and wrong if it happened,but let's face it,if it happened,they kinda brought this upon themselves.

or they can burn down french flags, throw stones on french embassay, boycott french products in retaliation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Muslims will just have to get over it. If they want to commit violence because of a CARTOON that only goes to show(even more) that Islam is a barbaric religion deserving of the ridicule it receives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

That would be sad and wrong if it happened,but let's face it,if it happened,they kinda brought this upon themselves.FMAB_GTO

Brought what upon themselves? Are you seriously suggesting the act of making a cartoon of Mohammed should be punishable by death? Or that members of a free society should be punished because of someone else's actions?

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="pie-junior"]haha Those guys had their offices fire-bombed less than a year ago for publishing a Muhammad cartoon. am a bit impressed they would still do it.

Some people refuse to be intimidated.

well yea, But those usually aren't french.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I'd be amazed if this doesn't caused huge problems in there. France's Muslim population is, IIRC, notoriously poorly integrated, and there's a lot of social tension between them and the French people.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Saw this. Good for them. lmao
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FMAB_GTO

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"]That would be sad and wrong if it happened,but let's face it,if it happened,they kinda brought this upon themselves.airshocker

Brought what upon themselves? Are you seriously suggesting the act of making a cartoon of Mohammed should be punishable by death? Or that members of a free society should be punished because of someone else's actions?

no. Please understand what other people mean before quoting them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

no. Please understand what other people mean before quoting them.FMAB_GTO

So answer the questions so I can better understand what you mean.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

meh, i dont find it offensive. muslims do forget why we dont depict the prophet mohammad, so he isnt worshipped like jesus and synonymously become god himself.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FMAB_GTO

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"]no. Please understand what other people mean before quoting them.airshocker

So answer the questions so I can better understand what you mean.

well for once if they wanna kill someone,i said if,it would be the one who drew and not some random french or anything. What i meant by my post is,if a French ambassador was killed,i wouldn't be surprised since it is kinda expected after these actions. America made fun of the prophet,an ambassador gets killed. days later France make fun of him,what do you expect? Im not saying someone should pay for other people's mistakes. get what i meant?
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
Wait.....what is this sorcery?.......i thought we had to beg forgiveness and do our best to try not to offend people....you mean there are people that refuse to live life cowering to others.....weird....
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] well for once if they wanna kill someone,i said if,it would be the one who drew and not some random french or anything. What i meant by my post is,if a French ambassador was killed,i wouldn't be surprised since it is kinda expected after these actions. America made fun of the prophet,an ambassador gets killed. days later France make fun of him,what do you expect? Im not saying someone should pay for other people's mistakes. get what i meant?

And you don't think killing someone for this is taking it a bit too far?
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#46 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

While the world should not revolve around the whims of the butthurt, those that have never known violence should also stop trying to piss off the butthurt. Only than can there be peace.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

well for once if they wanna kill someone,i said if,it would be the one who drew and not some random french or anything. What i meant by my post is,if a French ambassador was killed,i wouldn't be surprised since it is kinda expected after these actions. America made fun of the prophet,an ambassador gets killed. days later France make fun of him,what do you expect? Im not saying someone should pay for other people's mistakes. get what i meant?FMAB_GTO

France and America didn't make fun of anything. Citizens of those countries did.

I get what you're saying, even though I'm disturbed that you seem to think France and America should be held accountable for the harmless actions of their citizenry.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
I always feel iffy about this stuff. On one hand, freedom of speech. On the other hand I wouldnt like seeing someone I revered as a hero slandered in the paper like that. Instead of killing, the offended should take it to court.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I always feel iffy about this stuff. On one hand, freedom of speech. On the other hand I wouldnt like seeing someone I revered as a hero slandered in the paper like that. Instead of killing, the offended should take it to court.Capitan_Kid
You can't take someone to court for not liking someone you like. What's next banning negative film reviews?

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Wait, Kate Middleton is off limits but Islam is fair game ? :?