Here it is OT, our final Star Wars Episode 9 trailer has arrive and say goodbye to a good new trilogy!

  • 56 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39101

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39101 Posts

Man, I just hope this doesn't suck. I know people have impossible expectations, but it's still possible to end this trilogy on a high note. Also, Vader died for nothing and the prophecy was a lie! Or is it? Hmmm.

I'm there day one and got my tickets ready!!!

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5179

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5179 Posts

Will probably see.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
Ezekiel43

1980

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1980 Posts

To date, #StaWars: #TheRiseofSkywalker has sold 45% more tickets on @atomtickets in the first hour of pre-sales than #AvengersEndgame did earlier this year. The first hour of pre-sales for SKYWALKER sets a new record for Atom Tickets.

As I thought, the sequel haters are a vocal minority, many of them likely swayed by YouTube. A couple of months ago, I heard some YouTuber shitting on The Last Jedi from my brother's room. I told him when he came out to eat that it's a good movie. Told me it was shit and The Force Awakens was shit too. I reminded him that he liked TFA. He told me he didn't after thinking about it some more. He didn't think about it; he let the YouTuber echo chamber influence him. I don't know how people can stand watching YouTube so bloody much.

I don't know when I'll watch it. I forgot how expensive tickets are. Kind of tempted to just wait for the home video release. I'd be paying twice as much, but I get it in better quality and can rewatch it for free without strangers.

Avatar image for PSP107
PSP107

17592

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17592 Posts

@davillain-: "and say goodbye to a good new trilogy!"

Call me slow but what you mean by that?

Avatar image for watercrack445
watercrack445

2074

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2074 Posts

goodbye

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

44821

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44821 Posts

Well....here's hoping it's more serious and dark like "Empire" and not goofy like "Jedi"

I do find it funny, 10 full movies later, that arguably the best new installments to the Star Wars sagas are the animated series "The Clone Wars" and "Rebels". Would like to see Episode 9 change that but if not oh well we still have The Mandalorian coming

Avatar image for MirkoS77
MirkoS77

14638

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14638 Posts

Not interested in the slightest. New trilogy is garbage, the characters are uninteresting, there’s no main narrative core that has me remotely interested. What exactly is the thread of these films?

Avatar image for johnd13
johnd13

9825

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 9825 Posts

I'm going in with zero expectations after The Last Jedi.

It's funny how Snoke was introduced as the new powerful villain, yet he's gone and they decided to bring Palpatine back once again (in whatever form). Unless Palpatine is simply a red herring to mask the return of Snoke. I'd be down for that.

Also, can't help but think what a waste of a character Fin is. Instead of exploring a different narrative about him focusing on his past as a stormtrooper, they turned him into yet another resistance fighter. We already have Poe for that.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
Random_Matt

4433

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#9 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4433 Posts

Abramms took a giant turd on the franchise, watched the first one and it was just pure shit.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

36085

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36085 Posts

Just watch for Palpitine, rest is who cares.

Avatar image for volsung
Volsung

389

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 Volsung
Member since 2019 • 389 Posts

Just watch for Rose, rest is who cares.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39101

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39101 Posts

@ezekiel43: The story also got leak early on, so it's likely why those pre-tickets sales are low then they expected. It also doesn't help the fact The Last Jedi still leaves scars among fans.

@PSP107 said:

@davillain-: "and say goodbye to a good new trilogy!"

Call me slow but what you mean by that?

I was referring to this saga. (episode 7, 8, 9)

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28886

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28886 Posts

I enjoyed The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi so I’m looking forward to The Rise of Skywalker.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
Ezekiel43

1980

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1980 Posts
@davillain- said:

@ezekiel43: The story also got leak early on, so it's likely why those pre-tickets sales are low then they expected. It also doesn't help the fact The Last Jedi still leaves scars among fans.

No, the tickets are high. I think you misread my post.

Avatar image for r-gamer
R-Gamer

1083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By R-Gamer  Online
Member since 2019 • 1083 Posts

@ezekiel43: I thought the last two sucked and I didn't need YouTube to tell me.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39101

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39101 Posts

@ezekiel43: Tickets are always high for new releases but it depends where you live. I didn't misread your post, but the movie as already been leak which does effect ticket sales.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

5507

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5507 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Rogue One was fantastic as well, and Solo was solid but bombed because of the hate train from Last Jedi.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

44821

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44821 Posts

Honestly, this is where I stand on Episode 9:

I expect it to be better than Episode 8, and I hope it is better than Episode 7.

I enjoyed Episode 7 but it was incredibly unoriginal, and I get the whole "we need to pay fan service to the fans but also pull in the new generation" but FFS don't give us another "big space weapon destroys planets and we have to stop it" plot.

Episode 8 was just...ugh. I mean it was entertaining, sure, but holy shit it was like amateur hour as far as a film goes. I know it's sci-fi folks and therefore already bordering on the ludicrous but you can still make a serious, good film about space wizards vs space nazis.

@vfighter said:

@mrbojangles25: Rogue One was fantastic as well, and Solo was solid but bombed because of the hate train from Last Jedi.

Yeah Rogue One is probably my favorite Star Wars film after Empire Strikes back. It is definitely my favorite out of all the new Star Wars stuff. I didn't think Force Awakens was bad, either.

I think for top three it probably goes:

  • Episode V (Empire)
  • Rogue One
  • Episode IV (A New Hope)

And I agree with you on Solo, it wasn't half as bad as people wanted it to be (thanks, Ron Howard!) and it was solid. Lots of good Star Wars stuff in there; aliens, exotic planets, a really cool sci-fi-with-a-dash-of-Western feel to it....not like Firefly/Serenity full on space western type stuff, just a hint of it.

Avatar image for Chutebox
Chutebox

44900

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44900 Posts

Nah. Pass. Seven was kinda fun but story and the ending was pure trash. Eight sucked all around.

Avatar image for TJDMHEM
TJDMHEM

2458

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20 TJDMHEM  Online
Member since 2006 • 2458 Posts

I’ll have to check it out

Avatar image for crimsonbrute
CrimsonBrute

25533

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#21 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25533 Posts
@Chutebox said:

Nah. Pass. Seven was kinda fun but story and the ending was pure trash. Eight sucked all around.

Seven was nothing more than a terrible attempt at nostalgia by "remaking" Four. The only two good thing to come out of Seven was Poe and Phasma and they were both ruined in Eight.

The whole series was ruined by Eight, there is no way this movie is going to salvage the dumpster fire that is current state of Star Wars.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39101

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#22 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39101 Posts

@crimsonbrute: It's not like it was JJ Abram's fault, all that goes to Rian Johnson missteps from TLJ and as such, JJ Abram is trying his best making episode 9 the best he can do and I heard he even consulted with George Locus with episode 9.

Truth be told, I'm actually more interest The Mandalorian series then the movie itself.

Avatar image for crimsonbrute
CrimsonBrute

25533

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25533 Posts
@davillain- said:

It's not like it was JJ Abram's fault, all that goes to Rian Johnson missteps from TLJ and as such, JJ Abram is trying his best making episode 9 the best he can do and I heard he even consulted with George Locus with episode 9.

To be honest, I never liked ANYTHING JJ has had some sort of involvement in. It all seemed pretentious to me.

TFA was the only thing of his that was anywhere near tolerable but most of that (as I said before) was nostalgia bait. Rian, on the other hand, went balls-to-the-wall crazy and did whatever he wanted as opposed to following the roadmap laid out by JJ. Unfortunately bringing JJ back to direct 9 and having George Lucas "consult" won't repair the damage done by 8.

Truth be told, I'm actually more interest The Mandalorian series then the movie itself.

I was too... until I remembered that it is still Disney's Star Wars. The only thing left is the next season of Clone Wars but even that doesn't garner much interest.

Avatar image for judaspete
judaspete

3257

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#24 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3257 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I'm going in with zero expectations after The Last Jedi.

It's funny how Snoke was introduced as the new powerful villain, yet he's gone and they decided to bring Palpatine back once again (in whatever form). Unless Palpatine is simply a red herring to mask the return of Snoke. I'd be down for that.

Also, can't help but think what a waste of a character Fin is. Instead of exploring a different narrative about him focusing on his past as a stormtrooper, they turned him into yet another resistance fighter. We already have Poe for that.

Snoke was dumb, just Palpatine 2.0. Rian Johnson had the right idea, give him an actual personality, then kill him unexpectedly. Best thing that could have been done with that character. I agree with what Johnson attempted to do in general, blow up all of JJ's nostalgia surrogates so the next movie could finally bring the franchise forward. It actually felt like there was a real vision behind it, beyond just "here's more of those things from that thing you loved as a kid". Like Star Wars was about to evolve and go into new territory. Unfortunately it went to far for many fans, and the backlash spooked the suits. Now they brought back JJ to double down on nostalgia. With surrogate Palpatine dead he decided to bring back actual Palpatine. Sigh.

I still expect this to be a big, epic, and fun ride. Just not as great as it could have been.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

5507

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5507 Posts

@judaspete: All Rian did was take the potential TFA had, throw it in a blender with a bunch of SJW crap and made a shit smoothie for all of us. Visually it was a great movie, but damn was it downright dumb most of the time, and this is coming from somebody who doesn't even hate it. Abrams had a map of how the trilogy was supposed to go, Rian seemed hell bent on doing things differently just because they let him, not because he should.

Avatar image for judaspete
judaspete

3257

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#26 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3257 Posts

@vfighter said:

@judaspete: All Rian did was take the potential TFA had, throw it in a blender with a bunch of SJW crap and made a shit smoothie for all of us. Visually it was a great movie, but damn was it downright dumb most of the time, and this is coming from somebody who doesn't even hate it. Abrams had a map of how the trilogy was supposed to go, Rian seemed hell bent on doing things differently just because they let him, not because he should.

Look, I'm not going to fault you for hating the SJW crap, but to me that crap brought subtext and allegory back to the franchise that TFA and Rogue One were lacking. The OT was an allegory for the Vietnam War, the PT was about how people willingly give up freedom for security in hard times. TFA was entertaining, but didn't really have a point (other than nostalgia). TLJ's message is focus on saving the world (or galaxy) instead of just destroying your enemy. I can get behind that, and hope the subtext caries over in RoS.

More than that though, I just liked the story TLJ told. It's awkward at times and has some pacing issues, but all main characters had a fully realized arc and even a bunch of the supporting cast. Hell, I though Luke had the best one of all of them.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

5507

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5507 Posts

@judaspete: Gonna agree to disagree here. None of them had any real character arcs, or at least good ones, Luke was shit on and made to do something 100% against his character, and what story exactly? All Rian did was take the story that was built in Force Awakens and destroy all the ways the story should/could have advanced just because? Some of the choices Rian made are baffling at best. I have no idea what movies he's made in the past, but hopefully any new movies are his own and not sequels to others work as he doesn't seem capable of doing so.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

36085

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36085 Posts

Rian Johnson has ended up getting it tighter than George Lucas.

Hell, rather watch EP3. At least it's fun.

Avatar image for judaspete
judaspete

3257

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3257 Posts

@vfighter: It's unfortunate. I want the series to keep moving in the direction TLJ started, but I also want more people to enjoy these movies too. They probably should cancel RJ's trilogy, much as I'd like to see what he comes up with.

I wanted to leave it at that and let this next part go, but I'm too big a nerd and just can't :). Yes, the three protagonists had character arcs. That's fine to say you didn't like them, but the arcs were undeniably there.

Rey starts out knowing she has potential to change the course of the war, but needs guidance. Luke could provide it but is reluctant, Ben is willing but she doesn't trust or agree with him. After much drama, she ultimately decides it's on her to take her place in the fight instead of waiting for someone to hand it to her.

Poe starts as a typical hot shot who will do anything to win, even in situations where it's not tactically wise. He butts heads with Holdo about it, and unsuccessfully tries to undermine her. But the moment she rams her ship into Snoke's, Poe realises it's not that she didn't approve of gunslinger heroism, just that there is a time and place for it. This leads to Poe ordering what may be the first tactical retreat of his career, and becoming more of a leader than just a solider.

Fin starts off out to save himself and Rey, but after witnessing the war profiteering and oppression on casino planet, decides he's all in with the Resistance.

I admit it, Fin's arc is the weakest part of the movie. His turnaround is too abrupt, and his chemistry with Rose is on par with Padme and Anikan. In fact the whole casino planet sequence felt like prequel trilogy crap. Didnt ruin the movie for me, but definitly brought it down a peg.

Anyway, if you managed to read all the way to here, thanks for humoring me.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

I tried hard liking the new SW movies, but failed epicly. They're so bad they made Episode 1-3 better. Will just ignore this one as I regret watching the last one.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
Solaryellow

5266

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5266 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Not interested in the slightest. New trilogy is garbage, the characters are uninteresting, there’s no main narrative core that has me remotely interested. What exactly is the thread of these films?

Pretty much spot on. The characters are not interesting and the relationship between the audience and characters does not exist unlike IV-VI where it felt as if you had a vested interest. The story telling was much more cohesive and active than the past two and soon to be third film. IMO it feels as if Disney didn't care if the writers and directors knew anything about the other two trilogies. The inclusion of Yoda, Luke, Han, etc.., was half-assed. The writing was shallow and lazy. Should I expect anything different from the final film? The trailers were not even remotely compelling.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
MirkoS77

14638

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14638 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Not interested in the slightest. New trilogy is garbage, the characters are uninteresting, there’s no main narrative core that has me remotely interested. What exactly is the thread of these films?

Pretty much spot on. The characters are not interesting and the relationship between the audience and characters does not exist unlike IV-VI where it felt as if you had a vested interest. The story telling was much more cohesive and active than the past two and soon to be third film. IMO it feels as if Disney didn't care if the writers and directors knew anything about the other two trilogies. The inclusion of Yoda, Luke, Han, etc.., was half-assed. The writing was shallow and lazy. Should I expect anything different from the final film? The trailers were not even remotely compelling.

Yeah, I don't even know what the deal with Rei is. Who is she? What is her main goal?

At the end of Empire you could very easily predict what the next film would deal with, here, I have absolutely no clue where things are headed with ANY of the characters. Looks like the Emperor is back. Uh.....OK? What the hell is going on? It's like they're simply pulling shit in arbitrarily from the cannon to suit whatever spontaneous narrative tendency comes to them at any point in time.

I've honestly never seen a film trilogy that lacks so much cohesiveness as I have here, it is blatantly awful writing. This trilogy is almost like independent films with the same characters who have relations, but not due to revolving around any main narrative pillar, but just due to occupying the same space and time in respective universe, and due to that, I have no interest in seeing this. I could not possibly care less about any of these characters.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
LJS9502_basic

167864

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 167864 Posts

First movie was okay. Second movie sucked. Hated what they did with the Luke character. Meh. Disney is running it into the ground.

Avatar image for sonicare
sonicare

57007

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#34 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57007 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

First movie was okay. Second movie sucked. Hated what they did with the Luke character. Meh. Disney is running it into the ground.

I didn't even like the first movie. Can't put my finger on what it was. Everyone else seemed to think it was one of the greatest movies every made, but I came out disappointed. Second movie was a disaster. Just flat.

Avatar image for johnd13
johnd13

9825

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#35 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 9825 Posts
@judaspete said:
@johnd13 said:

I'm going in with zero expectations after The Last Jedi.

It's funny how Snoke was introduced as the new powerful villain, yet he's gone and they decided to bring Palpatine back once again (in whatever form). Unless Palpatine is simply a red herring to mask the return of Snoke. I'd be down for that.

Also, can't help but think what a waste of a character Fin is. Instead of exploring a different narrative about him focusing on his past as a stormtrooper, they turned him into yet another resistance fighter. We already have Poe for that.

Snoke was dumb, just Palpatine 2.0. Rian Johnson had the right idea, give him an actual personality, then kill him unexpectedly. Best thing that could have been done with that character. I agree with what Johnson attempted to do in general, blow up all of JJ's nostalgia surrogates so the next movie could finally bring the franchise forward. It actually felt like there was a real vision behind it, beyond just "here's more of those things from that thing you loved as a kid". Like Star Wars was about to evolve and go into new territory. Unfortunately it went to far for many fans, and the backlash spooked the suits. Now they brought back JJ to double down on nostalgia. With surrogate Palpatine dead he decided to bring back actual Palpatine. Sigh.

I still expect this to be a big, epic, and fun ride. Just not as great as it could have been.

The problem with Snoke, and other narrative threads, is a lack of consistency between TFA and TLJ. And that's mostly Disney's fault for not having a cohesive and thought-out plan for this trilogy. Instead, each episode's director does his own thing with the script. TLJ had its fair share of issues but on paper Rian Johnson's idea to take Star Wars in a different direction could have proven refreshing for the franchise.

You said it yourself: "the next movie could finally bring the franchise forward". They basically wasted 2/3 movies by (TFA) introducing certain narrative points and then (TLJ) disregarding them. Rise of Skywalker can bring the franchise forward but it's too late for the Skywalker saga.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
Solaryellow

5266

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5266 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Yeah, I don't even know what the deal with Rei is. Who is she? What is her main goal?

At the end of Empire you could very easily predict what the next film would deal with, here, I have absolutely no clue where things are headed with ANY of the characters. Looks like the Emperor is back. Uh.....OK? What the hell is going on? It's like they're simply pulling shit in arbitrarily from the cannon to suit whatever spontaneous narrative tendency comes to them at any point in time.

I've honestly never seen a film trilogy that lacks so much cohesiveness as I have here, it is blatantly awful writing. This trilogy is almost like independent films with the same characters who have relations, but not due to revolving around any main narrative pillar, but just due to occupying the same space and time in respective universe, and due to that, I have no interest in seeing this. I could not possibly care less about any of these characters.

Besides being a garbage picker? Who knows what her deal is. How about the Asian girl? I have no idea.

The original trilogy was cohesive and tight to the point where we started learning, quickly BTW, about the various players rather than knowing next to nothing about them going into the final episode. The main character had his backstory revealed in small but suitable amounts in a proper time. Luke's destiny (at least in IV-VI) was becoming obvious with each passing minute. The four characters in the new trilogy? Who knows. Nothing offered thus far has been compelling to the point where I want to know. Ren? A pissed of Sith who not only loses to a training free character but we see his identity way too early. Perhaps it is just me but I would think Disney would have agreed on a concrete plan before production, rather than winging it, and know exactly what needed to be accomplished from the first through last episode of the trilogy. The hastily way in which old, ESTABLISHED characters have been inserted into these films is evident of not only poor writing but zero knowledge nor thought for the original and prequel trilogy as it seems these legacies have been crapped upon rather than being utilized properly. Someone out there will say "you haven't seen the latest episode yet" and while true, I don't have any reason to believe this one will correct all of the wrongs of the previous two. The trailers look like arse and all I see is desperation.

Not one character is interesting whether the pilot, the former stormtrooper, the emo sith, etc.., No one. The story (which seems to be a mess) is equally uninteresting. The grass is not always greener on the the other side and while Lucas had issues, his abilities surpass what the all mighty Disney has offered.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
MirkoS77

14638

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#37  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14638 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Yeah, I don't even know what the deal with Rei is. Who is she? What is her main goal?

At the end of Empire you could very easily predict what the next film would deal with, here, I have absolutely no clue where things are headed with ANY of the characters. Looks like the Emperor is back. Uh.....OK? What the hell is going on? It's like they're simply pulling shit in arbitrarily from the cannon to suit whatever spontaneous narrative tendency comes to them at any point in time.

I've honestly never seen a film trilogy that lacks so much cohesiveness as I have here, it is blatantly awful writing. This trilogy is almost like independent films with the same characters who have relations, but not due to revolving around any main narrative pillar, but just due to occupying the same space and time in respective universe, and due to that, I have no interest in seeing this. I could not possibly care less about any of these characters.

Besides being a garbage picker? Who knows what her deal is. How about the Asian girl? I have no idea.

The original trilogy was cohesive and tight to the point where we started learning, quickly BTW, about the various players rather than knowing next to nothing about them going into the final episode. The main character had his backstory revealed in small but suitable amounts in a proper time. Luke's destiny (at least in IV-VI) was becoming obvious with each passing minute. The four characters in the new trilogy? Who knows. Nothing offered thus far has been compelling to the point where I want to know. Ren? A pissed of Sith who not only loses to a training free character but we see his identity way too early. Perhaps it is just me but I would think Disney would have agreed on a concrete plan before production, rather than winging it, and know exactly what needed to be accomplished from the first through last episode of the trilogy. The hastily way in which old, ESTABLISHED characters have been inserted into these films is evident of not only poor writing but zero knowledge nor thought for the original and prequel trilogy as it seems these legacies have been crapped upon rather than being utilized properly. Someone out there will say "you haven't seen the latest episode yet" and while true, I don't have any reason to believe this one will correct all of the wrongs of the previous two. The trailers look like arse and all I see is desperation.

Not one character is interesting whether the pilot, the former stormtrooper, the emo sith, etc.., No one. The story (which seems to be a mess) is equally uninteresting. The grass is not always greener on the the other side and while Lucas had issues, his abilities surpass what the all mighty Disney has offered.

In fairness, Lucas initially intended for IV to be the only film (I don't believe he expected it to succeed, at least not the the extent it did) and didn't know the entire story layout when he finished the film, but the difference being, he was able to make it cohesive when he did decide to continue it. Disney has no clue, they are giving narrative free reign to each director to do with as they please. It's crazy.

Rei seems directionless, Ren is a tantrum throwing child who lacks any sense of intimidation or malevolence, legacy characters have been shit all over, not even given a proper reunion, were kicked back to where they started (at least Han) or were incompetent or defeatist....ugh. Don't get me started. I'm amazed pre-order tickets are selling like hotcakes. I suppose people don't care for good films. Yeah, it's especially telling that Disney's leaning incredibly hard on nostalgia in their past trailer, they are desperate.

Seen this?

Loading Video...
Avatar image for Solaryellow
Solaryellow

5266

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#38 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5266 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

In fairness, Lucas initially intended for IV to be the only film (I don't believe he expected it to succeed, at least not the the extent it did) and didn't know the entire story layout when he finished the film, but the difference being, he was able to make it cohesive when he did decide to continue it. Disney has no clue, they are giving narrative free reign to each director to do with as they please. It's crazy.

Rei seems directionless, Ren is a tantrum throwing child who lacks any sense of intimidation or malevolence, legacy characters have been shit all over, not even given a proper reunion, were kicked back to where they started (at least Han) or were incompetent or defeatist....ugh. Don't get me started. I'm amazed pre-order tickets are selling like hotcakes. I suppose people don't care for good films. Yeah, it's especially telling that Disney's leaning incredibly hard on nostalgia in their past trailer, they are desperate.

Seen this?

Loading Video...

Oddly enough Lucas had a contingency plan if IV flopped or did well enough for a sequel. Thankfully he wasn't flying by the seat of his pants for the entirety of the 77-83. Granted he didn't have the entire trilogy laid out exactly like the finished product but he did have ideas beginning to end that did transfer to the two other films and that seems to be something the current trilogy is lacking. Screwing up Star Wars when the foundation is set in stone? How does that happen? The only thing the writers and directors needed to do was add to it rather than build it from the ground up.

Making a sci-fi hero likeable should not be difficult. Making a villain hated should not be difficult either. It's like a heel in wrestling. You are supposed to hate the character because the character is written and acted in a way making you hate him rather than a true hate/dislike because the character is genuinely bad. Ren is not hated because he's a well played villain. Rather, he's a poor character w/o any interesting qualities. Look at how desperate Disney was (and is) to get people to watch these films. Not only including old, established characters but it had to toss in Vader's melted helmet because that would get the juices flowing, right? Hit hard at the nostalgia regardless of what it brings to the table. Back when the trailers were shown people went bonkers over the inclusion of said item.

Many gamers declare sales don't necessarily mean a product is of good quality. That holds true for movies as well.

Oddly enough that clip was on my YT feed along with others about Batwoman failing hard. Lucas always makes me laugh.

Avatar image for judaspete
judaspete

3257

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#39  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3257 Posts

@Solaryellow: @MirkoS77: I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I just find it interesting how different our interpretations are. Kylo Ren is a very interesting character to me. He has all this power and skill, but internal conflict hold him back from reaching his true potential. His tantrums and hero worship of Darth Vader are overcompensation for the insecurity that he really doesn't fit in with the dark side. This is troubling for him because he already knows he doesn't fit in with the light. He's a little of both, but has no one to reasure him that's an option.

And really, this is the type of villian that the Anikan we saw in the prequels should have evolved into. He was so conflicted, confused, and manipulated right up to the end, and we never really saw what changes him into the cold, composed, brutal ruler dedicated ro maintaining order at any cost. George botched that worse than Disney ever could, and he had control of everything. The Clone Wars cartoon did a much better job, but that came later and was written by other people.

Anyway, that's my two cents Thanks for reading if you made it all the way through my rambling.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
LJS9502_basic

167864

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 167864 Posts

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

First movie was okay. Second movie sucked. Hated what they did with the Luke character. Meh. Disney is running it into the ground.

I didn't even like the first movie. Can't put my finger on what it was. Everyone else seemed to think it was one of the greatest movies every made, but I came out disappointed. Second movie was a disaster. Just flat.

I think the prequel movie was better than either of the movies in the trilogy so far. And I despised the second one. So much so I didn't see the Solo movie.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

44821

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#41  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44821 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

To date, #StaWars: #TheRiseofSkywalker has sold 45% more tickets on @atomtickets in the first hour of pre-sales than #AvengersEndgame did earlier this year. The first hour of pre-sales for SKYWALKER sets a new record for Atom Tickets.

As I thought, the sequel haters are a vocal minority, many of them likely swayed by YouTube. A couple of months ago, I heard some YouTuber shitting on The Last Jedi from my brother's room. I told him when he came out to eat that it's a good movie. Told me it was shit and The Force Awakens was shit too. I reminded him that he liked TFA. He told me he didn't after thinking about it some more. He didn't think about it; he let the YouTuber echo chamber influence him. I don't know how people can stand watching YouTube so bloody much.

I don't know when I'll watch it. I forgot how expensive tickets are. Kind of tempted to just wait for the home video release. I'd be paying twice as much, but I get it in better quality and can rewatch it for free without strangers.

Dude, Episode 8 was not a good movie. It was bad. here's why:

  • It starts off with the good guys facing annihilation and the hero is...making "yo' momma" jokes? At this massive enemy spaceship?
  • How the hell do free-fall bombs work in space? Yo I can suspend my disbelief better than most, but you gotta work with me here...
  • Why was Kylo Ren able to kill Snoke so easily? Ren was like an angsty teenager and Snoke was this incredible badass...allegedly. I mean seriously. What if Luke had just actually struck down the Emperor in Episode 6 and, no, he did not go to the Dark side and all the Ewoks d anced their happy dance? We would call bullshit on that.
  • Feminist agenda. Look I love a strong female character but what I don't like is when they insert a pointless love interest for the comedic relief guy (Finn), a purple-haired woman that tells all the men "how it really is", and so forth. Rey? Awesome. Feminist bullshit? Not awesome.
  • That god awful fight scene with the red dudes in the red room with the red saber and shit. Just piss-poor choreography...I mean there are so many people out there that do a good job with fight scenes, sword fighting, martial arts, and this is what we got? Freaking badass imperial guard hesitating to make the killing blow and then taking five second to do some fancy knife work only to see in the next shot that the knife is magically missing or something. AMATEUR HOUR!
  • Luke went all Grumpy Old Man. Obi-Wan saw his entire group of pals killed and went into exile, and he was a chill hermit dude that helped save the galaxy...Luke has a vision of Ren doing something bad, and completely loses his shit. "Grumble grumble theres no jedi grumble grumble go away kid get off my lawn/rocky island grumble grumble"

I loved Episode 7, love Rogue One, and I like Solo, so it's not like I don't want to give the new saga a fair chance, but Episode 8 was A.) a poorly made movie and B.) a poor Star Wars film

Avatar image for theone86
theone86

22500

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#42 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22500 Posts

@mrbojangles25: So how's Infowars these days?

Avatar image for MirkoS77
MirkoS77

14638

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#43  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14638 Posts

@Solaryellow: it's not really Lucas, it's a deepfake.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
Solaryellow

5266

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5266 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@Solaryellow: it's not really Lucas, it's a deepfake.

Oh I know. Lucas still makes me laugh though as he never seems satisfied with his work(s). You saw the S.P. episode about Indy, Lucas and Spielberg?

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

44821

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#45  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44821 Posts

@theone86 said:

@mrbojangles25: So how's Infowars these days?

lol why did you mention that?

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

17622

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#46 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 17622 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I know it's sci-fi folks and therefore already bordering on the ludicrous but you can still make a serious, good film about space wizards vs space nazis.

LOL, thank you for boiling it down in the same terms I explain it to my son.

This is a franchise called "Star Wars," and it's about space wizards. I just don't understand how some people treat this franchise like it used to be high art.

You're right though that they can be enjoyable, and I do enjoy them.

Avatar image for judaspete
judaspete

3257

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#47 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3257 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

To date, #StaWars: #TheRiseofSkywalker has sold 45% more tickets on @atomtickets in the first hour of pre-sales than #AvengersEndgame did earlier this year. The first hour of pre-sales for SKYWALKER sets a new record for Atom Tickets.

As I thought, the sequel haters are a vocal minority, many of them likely swayed by YouTube. A couple of months ago, I heard some YouTuber shitting on The Last Jedi from my brother's room. I told him when he came out to eat that it's a good movie. Told me it was shit and The Force Awakens was shit too. I reminded him that he liked TFA. He told me he didn't after thinking about it some more. He didn't think about it; he let the YouTuber echo chamber influence him. I don't know how people can stand watching YouTube so bloody much.

I don't know when I'll watch it. I forgot how expensive tickets are. Kind of tempted to just wait for the home video release. I'd be paying twice as much, but I get it in better quality and can rewatch it for free without strangers.

Dude, Episode 8 was not a good movie. It was bad. here's why:

  • It starts off with the good guys facing annihilation and the hero is...making "yo' momma" jokes? At this massive enemy spaceship?
  • How the hell do free-fall bombs work in space? Yo I can suspend my disbelief better than most, but you gotta work with me here...
  • Why was Kylo Ren able to kill Snoke so easily? Ren was like an angsty teenager and Snoke was this incredible badass...allegedly. I mean seriously. What if Luke had just actually struck down the Emperor in Episode 6 and, no, he did not go to the Dark side and all the Ewoks d anced their happy dance? We would call bullshit on that.
  • Feminist agenda. Look I love a strong female character but what I don't like is when they insert a pointless love interest for the comedic relief guy (Finn), a purple-haired woman that tells all the men "how it really is", and so forth. Rey? Awesome. Feminist bullshit? Not awesome.
  • That god awful fight scene with the red dudes in the red room with the red saber and shit. Just piss-poor choreography...I mean there are so many people out there that do a good job with fight scenes, sword fighting, martial arts, and this is what we got? Freaking badass imperial guard hesitating to make the killing blow and then taking five second to do some fancy knife work only to see in the next shot that the knife is magically missing or something. AMATEUR HOUR!
  • Luke went all Grumpy Old Man. Obi-Wan saw his entire group of pals killed and went into exile, and he was a chill hermit dude that helped save the galaxy...Luke has a vision of Ren doing something bad, and completely loses his shit. "Grumble grumble theres no jedi grumble grumble go away kid get off my lawn/rocky island grumble grumble"

I loved Episode 7, love Rogue One, and I like Solo, so it's not like I don't want to give the new saga a fair chance, but Episode 8 was A.) a poorly made movie and B.) a poor Star Wars film

I keep telling myself to let this go, but I'm too much of a nerd:

  • The yo mamma joke, okay yeah, that was bad. But making jokes in the face of total annihilation is the attitude of like, 90% of action heroes. And in this case it was meant as misdirection. Poe was trying to distract Hux long enough for his boost engines to power up, or something.
  • They weren't free-fall bombs, they were shot downward by an electromagnetic rail gun. They didn't explain this in the script because if they did, the movie would cease to be Star Wars and become pre JJ Star Trek.
  • Kylo Ren got lucky. If Luke's light saber wasn't right next to Snoke, he would never have been able to mask his true intentions.
  • I'll agree about Rose, she wasn't interesting. But Purple Hair Lady I liked. She wasn't telling the men how it is, she was telling the hot shot that gunslinger heroism was not what they needed in their current situation. But later in the movie, she goes out in a blaze of glory in a situation where it did make sense. Now, I interpreted Poe's reaction to that scene as a realization that she didn't disprove of his way of thinking, it's the fact he applied it to all situations that she looked down on. A lot of this is not spelled out in the script, so I'm not saying your wrong, I just got something different out of it than you did.
  • Okay, yeah. That fight had some inconsistency. But it was fast paced, visceral, and a climax to a very tense scene. Flawed, but still better than most SW fights. PT was over-choreographed to the point of tedium, and OT was dudes banging sticks.
  • Grumpy old man Luke was my favorite part of the whole movie. That's just opinion. You have every right to disagree.
Avatar image for ezekiel43
Ezekiel43

1980

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1980 Posts

@judaspete: Yeah, most of what you said. I was pretty entertained. My favorite Star Wars since Return of the Jedi.

@mrbojangles25: Rogue One and Solo were far worse, dude. I wrote this about Rogue One after seeing it:

The contrived story impatiently cuts from planet to planet and character to character, not focusing on anyone enough. The deaths are meaningless because we barely know the characters. Forrest Whitaker’s death is headscratchingly stupid. Why are not you not escaping with them? The other awkward death for me was Galen Erso’s, the father and engineer of the Death Star. Orson Krennic just left him there after the Rebel squadron had already left so the writers could let the daughter have her last moment with him. Realistically, Krennic would have taken him with or finished him off. She didn’t accomplish anything by being there. The scene also makes me wonder why Jyn has such a change of heart about the Rebels after they’ve just bombed and killed her father.

The film retcons the original trilogy and even the prequels. Why would the Death Star plans appear as early as Attack of the Clones if the designers, the geonosians, didn’t even know yet how to design the laser itself? Leia’s ship would not have been anywhere near a battle, and it probably wouldn’t have been a battle anyway. What she says to Vader in Star Wars (IV), that she is on a diplomatic mission and denying she has the plans, makes no sense. He was there, almost on her ship. Her denial is now unintentionally funny.

Vader: “Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.”

Leia: “I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.”

The plans were beamed to her ship. They were not beamed to a second ship and then carried on a disc to Leia’s.

From the Rebels’ dialogue, it doesn’t seem like the Rebels even knew what they are looking for within those schematics. Leia says to Solo, “The technical readouts of that battle station. I only hope that when the data is analyzed a weakness can be found.” General Dodonna later says, “An analyses of the plans provided by Princess Leia demonstrates a weakness in the battle station.” Why would the Rebels go into a massive battle, losing much of their forces, to acquire the blueprints if they are so uncertain that anything valuable can be learned from them? It makes more sense for the data to have been transmitted by spies in secret, like the first Star Wars implied it was.

The weakness of the Death Star wasn’t a scheme by the designer. The station simply needed an exhaust for its massive core and unstable super weapon. The Empire was aware of the flaw, which is why the north pole has so many artillery guns, including inside the trench. It’s also why the shaft has a ray shield.

“The shaft is ray-shielded, so you’ll have to use proton torpedoes.”

The Empire simply believed no enemy would be able to find that flaw, penetrate the defenses and get a torpedo in there. The flaw was never meant to be examined so closely. It certainly wasn’t a plot hole.

Rogue One has some of the most awkward fanservice in the series. The scene with the two thugs from the cantina is disruptive and so random. But little things like that are nothing compared to the revived CG characters. Leia, Tarkin and the pilot from the Battle of Yavin are all bizarre cartoons. The characters didn’t even need to be there. Orson Krennic already served as the villain, so we didn’t need Tarkin. The film could have ended with Jyn and Cassian Andor beaming the plans up and dying. If Leia absolutely did need to be tacked on to the ending, it would have been better to show her back, since she’s barely a character in Rogue One.

Vader’s butchering scene feels undeserved, considering that he was barely present in this one, was never that powerful and wouldn’t have been there anyway, according to the dialogue in the first movie. The original trilogy already established him as a powerful, imposing character*, so the scene did little for me. Vader also sounded off (Maybe it’s James Earl Jones’ age.) and looked somehow goofy. I can’t quite place my finger on it. Was the helmet reshaped for the new actor? Why did Vader even need to be in the movie? Krennic didn’t need two superiors. Tarkin was already there to serve the same role for Krennic. He ranks above Vader anyway. What is the point of having a new villain if you focus on the old ones?

*Vader deflects Solo’s blaster fire with his hands, force chokes, threatens and kills his subordinates one after another, fights Luke one-handed (pushing him to the ground with the strength of his arm) and doesn’t slow down at all when he is grazed, picks up and throws large objects with the force and levitates himself in Empire, throws his lightsaber, has a huge body 6 feet and 8 inches tall, and has an army under his command. He was always scary. I mean, we are introduced to him as he strangles a guy to death, lifting him off the ground with one hand.

Realistically, the concept of Rebels stealing the plans wasn’t terribly interesting. It was a simple story of conscientious traitor or Rebel spies discreetly beaming the plans up to Leia’s ship and then possibly being interrogated and executed. Rogue One had to complicate the issue in order to tell an action-packed two-hour story with a big battle at the end. The film doesn’t add anything we didn’t already know to the Star Wars canon. There were better side stories to tell. What about a sequel to Return of the Jedi that shows the last battles of the Civil War from the perspectives of the soldiers and reveals the origins of the First Order and Snoke? Or an adventurous bounty hunter movie. (Not Boba Fett.)

Rogue One also has the worst soundtrack of all the Star Wars movies. The music didn’t engage me at all.

I was bored with the film.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

36085

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#49 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36085 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Seen this?

Loading Video...

Ha, this was gold.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
Solaryellow

5266

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#50  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5266 Posts

"Guerilla film-making" is the way I'd best describe how Disney and its lackies tackled this trilogy.