Hello, i'm french !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FrFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 FrFries
Member since 2018 • 23 Posts

Hello everybody, i'm a french fan of technology and video games.

And i decided to come here to improve my english.

Nice to meet you all !

FrFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FrFries

French bashing over here ? :)

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Oui.

FrFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FrFries

@SOedipus: Cool :)

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

PSG! Neymar Jr!

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I'm French too. From Québec!

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Your English is already better than that of most Americans, so you'll be fine.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Sacre bleu!!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@gmak2442 said:

I'm French too. From Québec!

Caliss!

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Realizing that people in Gamespot are from around the world gives that feeling of "What the hell I'm actually communicating with a French guy.".

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

Man been so long since I spoke French. You help me with French, I help you practice English? :D

Bonjour, comment ca va? Je m'appele Monsieur Bojangles.

Ummmmm...comment dit-on "welcome" en francais? Welcome au Gamespot. Is it Welcome "au" or Welcome "a"?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Man been so long since I spoke French. You help me with French, I help you practice English? :D

Ummmmm...comment dit-on "welcome" en francais? Welcome au Gamespot. Is it Welcome "au" or Welcome "a"?

Maybe not...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25

@GTR12 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Maybe not...

Practice...American?

@bush_dog said:

Realizing that people in Gamespot are from around the world gives that feeling of "What the hell I'm actually communicating with a French guy.".

Haha yeah, it is pretty great. Internet is awesome and terrible, this is one of the rare times it is awesome. Bringing someone so far away right to your computer screen, in a sense.

Reminds me of back in the day when I played Team Fortress Classic, that game had a pretty significant international community.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bUPWLC1it6A/TWfyf4NxYAI/AAAAAAAABfg/vlN_Ql8N0jc/s1600/futurama_fry_chewing.gif

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10430 Posts

hola amigo! am i doing this right?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I'm the pope.

FrFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FrFries

@mrbojangles25: We say : Bienvenu !

FrFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FrFries

@crimsonbrute: Hi Fry !

FrFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrFries

@SoNin360: Thank you very much ! But i took time to writ

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@GTR12 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Maybe not...

Practice...American?

@bush_dog said:

Haha yeah, it is pretty great. Internet is awesome and terrible, this is one of the rare times it is awesome. Bringing someone so far away right to your computer screen, in a sense.

Reminds me of back in the day when I played Team Fortress Classic, that game had a pretty significant international community.

Actually, I believe the way you asked the question is grammatically acceptable. Rather than using a question word like "will" you're using intonation to turn a statement into a question. It's just that A) it's not very common in English (at least not in the dialects I'm familiar with) and B) you're online so there's technically no intonation because there aren't voices. Although the question mark signals a question, so intonation can be inferred.

If we're being strict about spelling it's:

ça va, Je m'appelle, français, and Bienvenue for welcome. If you're using it as an adjective you would drop the "e" for masculine nouns, but as a general greeting on its own you use the "e." As for Gamespot, my inclination is to treat it as you would a city and just say à Gamespot like I would say à Paris or à Amsterdam, but I don't have much experience with how French is used online, mostly just with how it's used academically.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

@theone86 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@GTR12 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Maybe not...

Practice...American?

@bush_dog said:

Actually, I believe the way you asked the question is grammatically acceptable. Rather than using a question word like "will" you're using intonation to turn a statement into a question. It's just that A) it's not very common in English (at least not in the dialects I'm familiar with) and B) you're online so there's technically no intonation because there aren't voices. Although the question mark signals a question, so intonation can be inferred.

ça va, Je m'appelle, français, and Bienvenue for welcome. If you're using it as an adjective you would drop the "e" for masculine nouns, but as a general greeting on its own you use the "e." As for Gamespot, my inclination is to treat it as you would a city and just say à Gamespot like I would say à Paris or à Amsterdam, but I don't have much experience with how French is used online, mostly just with how it's used academically.

Thanks for French lesson! Every now and then I'm tempted to enroll at the local junior college and take some classes. French, a class in welding/metal work, etc.

As for the underlined part, I know, it just wasn't worth arguing over :D Thank you for the support, though. I agree it is a bit confusing; it's like future-present-future tense :P Another example would be "I scratch your back, you scratch mine, capiche?" same kind of set up. And, as you said, there is a lack voice inflection on the internet that leads people to interpret things differently. Which is fine, unless you want to be a dick about it like some people.

I tend to write on Gamespot more like how I talk. If I were writing a legit email or paper for work or school, I would change a lot.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@frfries said:

Hello everybody, i'm a french fan of technology and video games.

And i decided to come here to improve my english.

Nice to meet you all !

Hi, you're an alt.

/thread.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I've been trying to improve my french. AC Unity is great for that, as the npcs talk in french. N'est ce pas?

Oh, and there are few games where you can switch spoken language to french or spain too, which is handy for language studies. Or so I've heard.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@theone86 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@GTR12 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Maybe not...

Practice...American?

@bush_dog said:

Thanks for French lesson! Every now and then I'm tempted to enroll at the local junior college and take some classes. French, a class in welding/metal work, etc.

As for the underlined part, I know, it just wasn't worth arguing over :D Thank you for the support, though. I agree it is a bit confusing; it's like future-present-future tense :P Another example would be "I scratch your back, you scratch mine, capiche?" same kind of set up. And, as you said, there is a lack voice inflection on the internet that leads people to interpret things differently. Which is fine, unless you want to be a dick about it like some people.

I tend to write on Gamespot more like how I talk. If I were writing a legit email or paper for work or school, I would change a lot.

I vacillate between being a borderline grammar Nazi and just shrugging about things. One thing I think a lot of grammar sticklers don't get is that unusual constructions are usually acceptable grammar. As long as the other person can understand you it's technically correct grammar, it just operates according to non-standard rules (but then again, so did our current grammar at one point in time). I just get really peeved when I see news sites using bad grammar. Last week I read an article where they used "a" before a vowel and I'm still angry about it (it's simple stuff!) And it seems like every sportswriter in the world has agreed upon using the term "resiliency" which drives me nuts (it's redundant!) I'm not gonna correct someone on the street, but someone who went to college and for a writing career no less? Argh, come on. Oh, and half the time they're wrong anyway. Ain't is a word, sometimes "you and I" is incorrect, etc.

If I had the money I would never leave school. The only part I dislike about it is deadlines, and if money weren't an issue I could retake or audit classes as I see fit. You should go to the junior college, it's pretty common even for older people nowadays. My German teacher was saying the other day that in her advanced class only one of the students is a traditional, straight out of high school student.