Helicopter Parents at Job Interviews.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

So-called helicopter parents first made headlines on college campuses a few years ago, when they began trying to direct everything from their children's course schedules to which roommate they were assigned.

With millennial children now in their 20s, more helicopter parents are showing up in the workplace, sometimes even phoning human resources managers to advocate on their child's behalf.

Megan Huffnagle, a former human resources manager at a Denver theme park, recalls being shocked several years ago when she received a call from a young job applicant's mother.

"An employee was hired as an IT intern, and the parent called and proceeded to tell me how talented her son was, and how he deserved much more [compensation], and that he could make much more money outside of this position," Huffnagle says.

Margaret Fiester of the Society for Human Resource Management, or SHRM, says when it comes to parents acting as lobbyists, she's heard it all from parents calling to negotiate better salaries or vacation time for their kids to complaining when their child isn't hired. "Surely you've overlooked these wonderful qualities that my child has," Fiester says parents often tell her.

Michigan State University more than 700 employers seeking to hire recent college graduates. Nearly one-third said parents had submitted resumes on their child's behalf, some without even informing the child. One-quarter reported hearing from parents urging the employer to hire their son or daughter for a position. Four percent of respondents reported that a parent actually showed up for the candidate's job interview.

Source.

What next, parents giving sexing tips at one side of the bed?

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Fedb 2012. No wonder I remember reading this a long time ago.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

Sounds good.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

He got the job. 

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

He got the job. 

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
In this economy, can you really be surprised?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I'd go bat shit crazy on my parents if they even tried to do such a thing. WTH is this shit lol
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
I'd go bat shit crazy on my parents if they even tried to do such a thing. WTH is this shit lolGazaAli
Same here, you gotta let your kids be independent at some point. If you haven't done so by the time they are in a job interview you're actively doing a poor job.
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

A generation of men raised by women. Chuck Palahniuk got it right.

MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
Nothing says 'I'm right for this job' more than your mum being sat in reception while you have your interview.