Heading to the UK for work

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I'm going to Basingstoke for a couple of weeks. What's interesting to do around there?

-Byshop

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Fish & Chips and Full English Breakfast :P And Congrats, Hope you have a great time there Byshop :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@indzman said:

Fish & Chips and Full English Breakfast :P And Congrats, Hope you have a great time there Byshop :)

Why are you advocating for a hearth attack? :P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 indzman

@horgen said:
@indzman said:

Isn't Byshop a foodie? My bad then :P

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@indzman said:
@horgen said:
@indzman said:

Oh I don't know. An English breakfast isn't exactly healthy though. So I wouldn't advice him to eat it more than once during his time there.

Actually I see it is less than an hour from London. So if you're staying there over the weekend @Byshop, I would recommend going there. More places to visit.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@horgen: it's probabily healthier than fish and chips

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2522 Posts

Apart from London... If you want to see a pretty historic city, Winchester's a stone's throw away. You're also not too far from Stonehenge, so that could be worth a visit. Basingstoke itself is nothing to shout about, like a few of the other big London commuter belt towns (Guilford and Reading are similarly dreary and commercial but with some cheap pubs and clubs, if that's what you're after). Oxford's nice for a day trip, and also not too far, and then you've got Southampton and Portsmouth on the South Coast, but at this time of year, I guess those last two are only going to appeal to naval history nerds.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

https://www.festivalplace.co.uk/basingstoke/things-to-do-in-basingstoke/?&utm_term=%2Bthings+%2Bto+%2Bdo+%2Bin+%2Bbasingstoke&utm_campaign=Things+To+Do&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

I searched is basingstock posh and first result came was its a dump. Just like rest of the UK then lol.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@horgen said:
@indzman said:
@horgen said:
@indzman said:

Oh I don't know. An English breakfast isn't exactly healthy though. So I wouldn't advice him to eat it more than once during his time there.

Actually I see it is less than an hour from London. So if you're staying there over the weekend @Byshop, I would recommend going there. More places to visit.

I try the food everywhere I travel to. I will see if I can check out London while I'm there, then. Thanks!

-Byshop

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

@indzman said:

Two of my favourite meals right there. We also have a food called spotted dick, yup you read that right though it's probably more palatable than rocky mountain oysters which is deep fried bull nuts in US.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@borninblood60 said:
@indzman said:

Two of my favourite meals right there. We also have a food called spotted dick, yup you read that right though it's probably more palatable than rocky mountain oysters which is deep fried bull nuts in US.

Spotted Dick is just a pudding with a weird name. I live in Colorado where Rocky Mountain Oysters are from and I've actually had deez (see what I did there?). Can't say I'm a fan, though.

-Byshop

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

The South Downs and New Forest are good if you are interested in the that sort of stuff and have your own transportation... if you do, the Dorset coast is a little bit further and is worth a visit. For city stuff, others have said the 'nicer' places...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

@indzman said:

LOL British food is barely food...........sorry guys.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#14 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6073 Posts

Most people have said negative things so far,sorry for that Bishop.All the best of luck on your trip and have a safe and happy time in the U.K.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Make sure you go to a nice pub and have a carvery (preferably on a Sunday). But yeh Basingstoke...may as well travel in to London.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@Byshop said:
@horgen said:
@indzman said:
@horgen said:

I try the food everywhere I travel to. I will see if I can check out London while I'm there, then. Thanks!

-Byshop

Not to sound like a broken record but I second the full English breakfast :D SOoooooooooo good. And the fish and chips, with mushy peas of course :)

As for where to go, how much free time will you have? You'll be there for two weeks so it sounds like you should have at least one or two weekends off, though I don't know how busy your job keeps you.

I went there a few years ago, I recommend:

London, which you are pretty close to. I am sure you can find plenty to do there. Kensington Gardens/Palace, some good places to eat (don't believe what they say about English food, London is a melting pot, so many good foods to eat there!),

Oxford, a lot of great places to go. Can go to Blackwell's Bookstore, buy a copy of The Hobbit, then go to the Eagle and Child pub where Tolkien and CS Lewis frequented. The church where they filmed the dinner hall scenes of Harry Potter is also in Oxford. And of course, there is the University, which is a pretty neat campus to check out.

Hmmm what else. There's Stonehenge, of course, but if you don't have your own transportion it literally takes about half a day to get out there, you spend an hour or so looking at it, then you spend half a day getting back. Yeah it is a really historic, cool thing but you essentially spend a single day on a very touristy thing. There are a lot of medieval/historic structures in London and England, too, if history is your thing. I think I also went to Westminster...Westchester....Worchester (???) Cathedral, that was pretty cool.

FYI I took rail, walked, and a couple cab rides the whole time I was there. One bus ride (stonehenge). Public transportation is excellent, cab drivers are certified and courteous and generally very pleasant.

And in London you can get something called an Oyster card (I think it was called an Oyster card) that let's you take "the tube" everywhere. It's like an unlimited pass, worth it if you spend a lot of time in London.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@indzman said:

LOL British food is barely food...........sorry guys.

Nonsense! Xenophobe! Pleb!

All you people saying English food is bad :(

@brimmul777 said:

Most people have said negative things so far,sorry for that Bishop.All the best of luck on your trip and have a safe and happy time in the U.K.

Awww :(

@borninblood60 said:
@indzman said:

I am more partial to sticky toffee pudding myself.

Oh, and language:

biscuits = cookies

crisps = chips

chips = fries

trousers = pants

short trousers = shorts

fanny = ....vagina...so don't go saying "fanny pack" :P

lift = elevator

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2020 Posts

Enjoy the bad weather and food

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 indzman

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Byshop said:
@horgen said:
@indzman said:
@horgen said:

-Byshop

Not to sound like a broken record but I second the full English breakfast :D SOoooooooooo good. And the fish and chips, with mushy peas of course :)

As for where to go, how much free time will you have? You'll be there for two weeks so it sounds like you should have at least one or two weekends off, though I don't know how busy your job keeps you.

I went there a few years ago, I recommend:

London, which you are pretty close to. I am sure you can find plenty to do there. Kensington Gardens/Palace, some good places to eat (don't believe what they say about English food, London is a melting pot, so many good foods to eat there!),

Oxford, a lot of great places to go. Can go to Blackwell's Bookstore, buy a copy of The Hobbit, then go to the Eagle and Child pub where Tolkien and CS Lewis frequented. The church where they filmed the dinner hall scenes of Harry Potter is also in Oxford. And of course, there is the University, which is a pretty neat campus to check out.

Hmmm what else. There's Stonehenge, of course, but if you don't have your own transportion it literally takes about half a day to get out there, you spend an hour or so looking at it, then you spend half a day getting back. Yeah it is a really historic, cool thing but you essentially spend a single day on a very touristy thing. There are a lot of medieval/historic structures in London and England, too, if history is your thing. I think I also went to Westminster...Westchester....Worchester (???) Cathedral, that was pretty cool.

FYI I took rail, walked, and a couple cab rides the whole time I was there. One bus ride (stonehenge). Public transportation is excellent, cab drivers are certified and courteous and generally very pleasant.

And in London you can get something called an Oyster card (I think it was called an Oyster card) that let's you take "the tube" everywhere. It's like an unlimited pass, worth it if you spend a lot of time in London.

Mr Monkey aren't you forgetting something? :P

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Don't get a lemon chucked at you.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@indzman said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Byshop said:
@horgen said:
@indzman said:

-Byshop

...mmmMonkeys?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 indzman

@mrbojangles25 said:
@indzman said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Byshop said:
@horgen said:

-Byshop

...mmmMonkeys?

mmm

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

@blamix said:

Enjoy the bad weather and food

funnily, when I went to London, they had a heatwave there. Went back the year after. Again it was hot and sunny.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

@indzman said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@indzman said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

...mmmMonkeys?

mmm

Mmmmm! Chilled Monkey Brains!

-Byshop

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Now thats work travel well worth it. UK = Elizabeth Hurley, all i can think of that comes to mind.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@Byshop said:

I'm going to Basingstoke for a couple of weeks.

http://img1.rnkr-static.com/list_img_v2/2788/522788/C480/the-best-of-the-immature-high-schoolers-meme.jpg

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#26 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Never been to Basingstoke, for a person who lives in the North East if you haven't tried Newcastle Brown Ale yet its worth drinking

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts

@benleslie5 said:

Never been to Basingstoke, for a person who lives in the North East if you haven't tried Newcastle Brown Ale yet its worth drinking

*writes that down*

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 indzman

@Byshop said:
@indzman said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@indzman said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

...mmmMonkeys?

mmm

Mmmmm! Chilled Monkey Brains!

-Byshop

Loading Video...

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

If someone asks if you want to smoke a *** they mean cigarette not a flamboyant gay person. Unless you're in to that then go nuts.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19382 Posts
@Byshop said:

I'm going to Basingstoke for a couple of weeks. What's interesting to do around there?

-Byshop

I thought you were British?

@indzman said:

Lot of curry shops too.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

@Jag85 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I thought you were British?

No, but I almost always speak in complete sentences which may create an air of formality which may have created such an impression. I was born in Queens and I live in mountainous Colorado.

-Byshop

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

@benleslie5 said:

You can get that here.......without the food. :P

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If I were in your position, I would take it upon myself to be a patron of the great Gordon Ramsay. Not sure what all of his restaurants are in the London area, but I hear they are all fantastic.