Hawaii Becomes 16th State With Marriage Equality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

http://www.afer.org/blog/hawaii-becomes-16th-state-with-marriage-equality/

That makes sixteen states + DC. Just thirty-four to go. . .

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Equality for divorce...yay. Seriously though...I'm all for everyone having the same right to misery. Enjoy!

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Makhaidos

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

The Supreme Court will sort out the conservative states eventually, just like they did with segregation.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

The Supreme Court will sort out the conservative states eventually, just like they did with segregation.

Are you wanting a marriage?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Glad to see those people in Hawaii get the rights they deserve.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Makhaidos

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

Eventually.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Makhaidos said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

Eventually.

Good luck.....you'll need it. :p

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Makhaidos

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

Eventually.

Good luck.....you'll need it. :p

Oh, no. . .it's the other one who'll need it. :D

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well, it's all over. Next men will be marrying bears, horses will be marrying pigs. Anarchy i tell you!

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Good on them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

16th State? "Rainbow State" my ass. Oh well, at least they won't be known to be among the last to legalize it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@GazaAli said:

It may take the Supreme court acting, but I imagine that eventually it'll be legalized in all states under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli

@worlock77 said:

@GazaAli said:

It may take the Supreme court acting, but I imagine that eventually it'll be legalized in all states under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution.

If this issue lies within the jurisdiction and authority of the governments of the individual states, what would be the justification of the supreme court to intervene and legalize it nation wide? I understand that not having legal uniformity and unanimity on such a matter in different jurisdictions within the same state would be quite absurd, it would certainly seriously undermine the sense of unity of the state. But still, conservatives will yell as loud as they can about how this is the state government business.

Beside all of that, it would be kind of out of place and alien to see SSM legalized in the far right states. I doubt any homosexual actually chooses to continue living in such states.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Good.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Makhaidos

@GazaAli said:

@worlock77 said:

@GazaAli said:

If this issue lies within the jurisdiction and authority of the governments of the individual states, what would be the justification of the supreme court to intervene and legalize it nation wide? I understand that not having legal uniformity and unanimity on such a matter in different jurisdictions within the same state would be quite absurd, it would certainly seriously undermine the sense of unity of the state. But still, conservatives will yell as loud as they can about how this is the state government business.

Beside all of that, it would be kind of out of place and alien to see SSM legalized in the far right states. I doubt any homosexual actually chooses to continue living in such states.

I've lived in such a state all my life. Atlanta, Georgia is considered one of the gay capitals of the country, Houston, Texas has more gays than San Francisco, and there's a reason why so many anti-gay fools get caught with a cheap rentboy in a bookstore bathroom.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@worlock77 said:

@GazaAli said:

Well the Full Faith and Credit clause, in a nutshell, outlines the duty of states to recognize the public records of other states. For example: Maine could not say that a Vermont birth certificate is invalid because it wasn't issued in Maine. Granted, the status of the Full Faith clause in regards to marriage is still uncertain, because it's thus far been unchallenged, thus no precedent has been set. But I believe it to be only a matter of time (in fact such challenges have already begun). And while this doesn't necessarily mean that every state will right away legalize same-sex marriage if states must recognize same-sex marriages done in other states then it would be a small matter for, say, a gay couple in Kentucky to hop over to Illinois and get married in that state.

What? Plenty of homosexuals live in right wing states.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GazaAli

@worlock77: That is interesting. So at the very least, all states will be obliged to recognize the legality of same-sex marriages certificates, even if SSM is not legal in some of those states. Most likely even the most conservative states would give in to pressure and how backwards and isolated they'd look and legalize it.

Its just an assumption I made. I imagine it would suck to be gay in a state that is largely "anit-gay" and is very vocal about it.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

That's great news.