Hawaii Becomes 16th State With Marriage Equality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#1 Posted by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

http://www.afer.org/blog/hawaii-becomes-16th-state-with-marriage-equality/

That makes sixteen states + DC. Just thirty-four to go. . .

Avatar image for GazaAli
#2 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162463 posts) -

Equality for divorce...yay. Seriously though...I'm all for everyone having the same right to misery. Enjoy!

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#4 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

The Supreme Court will sort out the conservative states eventually, just like they did with segregation.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#5 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162463 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

The Supreme Court will sort out the conservative states eventually, just like they did with segregation.

Are you wanting a marriage?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#6 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

Glad to see those people in Hawaii get the rights they deserve.

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#7 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

The Supreme Court will sort out the conservative states eventually, just like they did with segregation.

Are you wanting a marriage?

Eventually.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#8 Edited by LJS9502_basic (162463 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

The Supreme Court will sort out the conservative states eventually, just like they did with segregation.

Are you wanting a marriage?

Eventually.

Good luck.....you'll need it. :p

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#9 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

The Supreme Court will sort out the conservative states eventually, just like they did with segregation.

Are you wanting a marriage?

Eventually.

Good luck.....you'll need it. :p

Oh, no. . .it's the other one who'll need it. :D

Avatar image for lostrib
#10 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Well, it's all over. Next men will be marrying bears, horses will be marrying pigs. Anarchy i tell you!

Avatar image for deeliman
#11 Posted by deeliman (3761 posts) -

Good on them.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#12 Posted by lamprey263 (34617 posts) -

16th State? "Rainbow State" my ass. Oh well, at least they won't be known to be among the last to legalize it.

Avatar image for worlock77
#13 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

It may take the Supreme court acting, but I imagine that eventually it'll be legalized in all states under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#14 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

It may take the Supreme court acting, but I imagine that eventually it'll be legalized in all states under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution.

If this issue lies within the jurisdiction and authority of the governments of the individual states, what would be the justification of the supreme court to intervene and legalize it nation wide? I understand that not having legal uniformity and unanimity on such a matter in different jurisdictions within the same state would be quite absurd, it would certainly seriously undermine the sense of unity of the state. But still, conservatives will yell as loud as they can about how this is the state government business.

Beside all of that, it would be kind of out of place and alien to see SSM legalized in the far right states. I doubt any homosexual actually chooses to continue living in such states.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#15 Posted by Master_Live (18821 posts) -

Good.

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#16 Posted by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@worlock77 said:

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

It may take the Supreme court acting, but I imagine that eventually it'll be legalized in all states under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution.

If this issue lies within the jurisdiction and authority of the governments of the individual states, what would be the justification of the supreme court to intervene and legalize it nation wide? I understand that not having legal uniformity and unanimity on such a matter in different jurisdictions within the same state would be quite absurd, it would certainly seriously undermine the sense of unity of the state. But still, conservatives will yell as loud as they can about how this is the state government business.

Beside all of that, it would be kind of out of place and alien to see SSM legalized in the far right states. I doubt any homosexual actually chooses to continue living in such states.

I've lived in such a state all my life. Atlanta, Georgia is considered one of the gay capitals of the country, Houston, Texas has more gays than San Francisco, and there's a reason why so many anti-gay fools get caught with a cheap rentboy in a bookstore bathroom.

Avatar image for worlock77
#17 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@worlock77 said:

@GazaAli said:

Its going to be really weird when eventually all the liberal states of the U.S legalize same-sex marriage and the conservative ones remain opposed to it. Its weird to have such dissonance and different legal stands on such an issue of strong public opinion in the same country.

It may take the Supreme court acting, but I imagine that eventually it'll be legalized in all states under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution.

If this issue lies within the jurisdiction and authority of the governments of the individual states, what would be the justification of the supreme court to intervene and legalize it nation wide? I understand that not having legal uniformity and unanimity on such a matter in different jurisdictions within the same state would be quite absurd, it would certainly seriously undermine the sense of unity of the state. But still, conservatives will yell as loud as they can about how this is the state government business.

Beside all of that, it would be kind of out of place and alien to see SSM legalized in the far right states. I doubt any homosexual actually chooses to continue living in such states.

Well the Full Faith and Credit clause, in a nutshell, outlines the duty of states to recognize the public records of other states. For example: Maine could not say that a Vermont birth certificate is invalid because it wasn't issued in Maine. Granted, the status of the Full Faith clause in regards to marriage is still uncertain, because it's thus far been unchallenged, thus no precedent has been set. But I believe it to be only a matter of time (in fact such challenges have already begun). And while this doesn't necessarily mean that every state will right away legalize same-sex marriage if states must recognize same-sex marriages done in other states then it would be a small matter for, say, a gay couple in Kentucky to hop over to Illinois and get married in that state.

What? Plenty of homosexuals live in right wing states.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#18 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@worlock77: That is interesting. So at the very least, all states will be obliged to recognize the legality of same-sex marriages certificates, even if SSM is not legal in some of those states. Most likely even the most conservative states would give in to pressure and how backwards and isolated they'd look and legalize it.

Its just an assumption I made. I imagine it would suck to be gay in a state that is largely "anit-gay" and is very vocal about it.

Avatar image for leviathan91
#19 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

That's great news.