Have you ever lost your phone, pictures and all ?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LexLas (7206 posts) -

These two guys bumped into me on BART stairs, thats a train by the way. I didn't think anything of it, till i jumped on the train, and then reached for my phone, and it was gone. All my data, pictures, videos, of fam, and so much more. 32Gigs of stuff lost. And i had no phone insurance. Have you guys ever lost your phones with data on it, that can't be retrieved. I wish they would return it, they can't use it. I reported it stolen, and disconnected it.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

I have never lost my phone but it would definitely be a bummer.

#3 Posted by slapshakle (4408 posts) -

Yep, recently lost my phone with around 2000 photos on it. Terrible feeling.

#4 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

I couldn't find my phone before. Just went on iCloud and find my phone and it showed me gps where I left it. Sometimes I lose it in my own house and do the same thing but turn on the alarm so I can listen for it.

#5 Posted by korvus (10635 posts) -

No, never lost my phone but I would definitely not keep anything in anyway. On the very rare occasion I take a photo with my phone it goes straight to the pc when I get home. Can't really imagine carrying all my data in my pocket all the time.

#6 Edited by alim298 (2747 posts) -

Man that's a really bad situation. One that you can do little about. My friends consider me the cautious OCD guy who constantly checks his pockets and backpack for unzipped zippers and even I once was nearly pickpocketed. You should be very careful of your belongings when in public.

#7 Edited by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

I've never had a cell phone. It's a spiritually and financially liberating experience. I can't imagine being a slave to a 5" screen like 95% of the 1st world population. I tease my wife that I wouldn't recognize her face without it being illuminated by an iPhone or iPad screen.

I've saved between $8k and $10k over the last decade by not having a mobile.

#8 Posted by thegerg (18263 posts) -

no

#9 Posted by LexLas (7206 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

I've never had a cell phone. It's a spiritually and financially liberating experience. I can't imagine being a slave to a 5" screen like 95% of the 1st world population. I tease my wife that I wouldn't recognize her face without it being illuminated by an iPhone or iPad screen.

You are a smart man. Thats exactly how i felt, and then my wife went and got my kids and i smart phones. I was glued to it, although i was mad for the large 200+ bill that came monthly. I do fee so free now. I am not having to constantly check on Facebook on peoples status. I still have to pay the bill, even though i lost it. Sux indeed.

#10 Posted by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

@LexLas said:

@bforrester420 said:

You are a smart man. Thats exactly how i felt, and then my wife went and got my kids and i smart phones. I was glued to it, although i was mad for the large 200+ bill that came monthly. I do fee so free now. I am not having to constantly check on Facebook on peoples status. I still have to pay the bill, even though i lost it. Sux indeed.

I can understand having a phone if you've got kids that are old enough to have them, and honestly there are a handful of times a year when I think, "Man, it'd be nice to have a phone right about now." Fortunately those instances aren't often enough to get me to open my wallet!

#11 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

I don't think I could make it without my phone at work lol. I'd go crazy.

#12 Edited by LexLas (7206 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn said:

I don't think I could make it without my phone at work lol. I'd go crazy.

Lucky i have a laptop, or i would be bored out of my mind, lol ..

#13 Edited by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

That sucks. Sorry your phone got jacked.

But I've never lost my phone luckily.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
#14 Posted by harry_james_pot (11397 posts) -

My old phone got stolen. But, it was already dying and I had backed up everything on it the day before it happened. :P

#15 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

@LexLas said:

These two guys bumped into me on BART stairs, thats a train by the way. I didn't think anything of it, till i jumped on the train, and then reached for my phone, and it was gone. All my data, pictures, videos, of fam, and so much more. 32Gigs of stuff lost. And i had no phone insurance. Have you guys ever lost your phones with data on it, that can't be retrieved. I wish they would return it, they can't use it. I reported it stolen, and disconnected it.

Your bay area resident too? If so, Hi! :D

#16 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

*Knocks on wood* I have never lost my phone.

#17 Edited by Kenocratic (123 posts) -

I have a smart phone, Samsung Galaxy S4 which I lost only once but found it between my car driver seat and the driver side door. But I'm not a slave to it which is a concern brought up earlier. I don't have any friends or associates other than my 97 year old dad and one of his friends. So there's not much to be a slave to as far as messages, emails etc.

I'm retired and the phone comes in handy when I take my dad to doctor's appointments and I'm sitting in the hospital or medical building lobby for a long time waiting. And wow I love this phone for keeping me entertained with movies and various videos. I'm a movie and short video buff and the visual quality is amazing.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#18 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4796 posts) -

I don't have a phone.I have no use for it.

#19 Posted by macchiatoman (37 posts) -

One of the worst feeling in the world. Losing your cellphones including all the pictures, files and contacts. I've experienced this one when i'm on a vacation with the family. I forgot to bring my wifi and may boss called me that i need to send an email to her. So i had no choice but to go to nearest computer shop to send her an email. After i sent it i was just looking for the desktop when i saw that there's is a Rohan client and RO2. After that i decided to come back to our cottage, when i need to use my phone i can't feel it on my pocket. i forgot it on the net shop. can't find it when i came back. That's really sucks.

#20 Posted by Gaming-Planet (18543 posts) -

I have all my nude pics backup to my hard drive.

#21 Posted by sukraj (27227 posts) -

Nope

#22 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58756 posts) -

Twice. A few months after buying them. I'm not very fortunate when it comes to phones.

#23 Posted by Xeno_ghost (990 posts) -

I lost my phone once I left it on the bus, Long story short I went to my local bus stations office and someone had handed it in. There are some good people in the world.

#24 Posted by LexLas (7206 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

I lost my phone once I left it on the bus, Long story short I went to my local bus stations office and someone had handed it in. There are some good people in the world.

There are good people. Unfortunately, none around my area when lost.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#25 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12561 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

#28 Posted by Horgen (116179 posts) -

No, however my mom managed to delete all the photos on her phone. She was pissed at herself and very sad after doing that.

#29 Edited by korvus (10635 posts) -

@horgen: That sucks. First thing I've learned when I started my first programming course. Backups, backups, backups. Oh, and save what you're doing every 5 minutes, especially if the place you're in has frequent power outages like my college did. Think everybody lost at least 10 hours of work in that first week...

#30 Posted by johnd13 (9206 posts) -

I don't keep anything valuable in my phone. I rarely/never take pictures or videos anyway.

#31 Posted by Dogswithguns (11357 posts) -

No... my phone is cheap can replace with no problem, so I don't care, but I got some pics that most already on my Facebook.. I don't ever wanna lose my simcard tho.

#32 Edited by comp_atkins (34245 posts) -

almost lost mine at a hotel a few months ago but the employees there found it and held onto it until i returned... i also have an application on my phone that will tell my via gps on a web browser where my phone is if it's lost ( assuming it's powered on ) and i can also remote wipe data from it if need be

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#33 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4796 posts) -

No

There's nothing in my phone other than games anyways.No pictures,no contacts,nothing.

#34 Edited by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

I still can't find one of the cordless handsets for my home phone. Otherwise, no, I've never lost a cell phone because I've never had one.

#35 Edited by CountBleck12 (4740 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

#36 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58756 posts) -

Twice... but I didn't care about the data. The phones, though....

#37 Posted by GamingTitan (657 posts) -

yep. There's a big long story behind it but I lost it and used 'find my phone' and went to the house of the person that stole it and we got it back~

#38 Posted by ferrari2001 (17760 posts) -

Impossible to lose pictures and video as they are automatically uploaded to google+. All my contacts are synced with my google account, and my music is also on my computer. So if I did ever lose my phone, no I would not lose any data.

#39 Posted by PSP107 (16626 posts) -

@LexLas: "And i had no phone insurance. "

lol

#40 Edited by gamerguru100 (12686 posts) -

Yeah, I recently lost my Android phone with a "whopping" 50-odd pictures on it. Kinda sucks, but I got an upgraded version for $75. I only pay around $35-38 per month for the service too, and that's calling, texting, and Internet.

#41 Posted by PSP107 (16626 posts) -

@gamerguru100:

What phone service you have?

#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (96559 posts) -

I lost my last phone, a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, about three months before my (3-year) contract was up. Fortunately, I had just backed up everything on it the week before and basically wiped the phone clean.

Was a pain in my ass to get a new one. Rogers is the worst cellphone carrier ever, and have possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Even their supervisory staff is unhelpful, even for 5+ year customers. I would highly recommend against anyone using them.

#43 Posted by PSP107 (16626 posts) -

@foxhound_fox:

3 year contract?

#44 Posted by Drunk_PI (2440 posts) -

Yes but due to dropping it in water. I lost a lot of photos, especially pictures and videos of my deceased dog.

Kinda sad actually thinking about it now.

#45 Posted by Serraph105 (31639 posts) -

I had lost my ipod touch a couple of years back, and yeah my photos went with it. Photos are one of the things that are just impossible to recover, and now I always make sure to back my photos up.

#46 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

well not in the sense that i physically lost my phone, but i had upgraded from an old phone (Sprint Katana II) to the Sprint Rant, and they werent able to transfer any of the pics. and there was no SD card at all, so i just lost out on those pics.

#47 Posted by foxhound_fox (96559 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@foxhound_fox:

3 year contract?

Yeah, that was back before the Canadian government legislated that it was unethical to lock somebody into a contract that long.

#48 Posted by gamerguru100 (12686 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@gamerguru100:

What phone service you have?

Virgin Mobile

#50 Edited by comp_atkins (34245 posts) -

every picture/video i take from my phone gets uploaded to my personal NAS so I have backups.

i left my phone behind at a hotel restaurant once but when i went back an hour later, the staff returned it to me