Have you ever fallen down the proverbial rabbit hole on YouTube, TikTok, etc.?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

I would like more information about your experiences on the Interwebs. Strange things happen on the net.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Not really. I have very low opinion of social media, so I've always avoided them. Never even stepped one foot into Facebook or Tiktok, and only go to Twitter to search for specific things. I don't have an account with any of them. I do have a Reddit account, but only to keep track of a total of 8 subs. About the edgiest one of those eight is r/SubredditDrama.

Same with YouTube. I always know exactly what I'm interested in, what I like, and what I'm looking for, and while I might dabble a bit, it takes several months of trial period to decide whether a new channel will go on my subs list. I also have my own internal "laugh and ignore" button, but nevertheless I still always trim my Watch History page of things I'm only dabbling in, so the algorithms don't go crazy with the recommendations.

As a result, in all my years of using YouTube, I have only ever blocked one channel wholesale (The Quartering), and only because of the volume of content, not the content themselves. His videos were threatening to declare a sovereign state on my Recommended page.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 694 Posts

Maybe on YouTube.

I avoid tik tok because of its totalitarian origin.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Youtube from time to time. It could be videos of a variety of subjects: Conan O'Brien, animals, Japan, kpop. The list goes on.

The only social media platforms I have accounts on are Facebook and Instagram but I never post anything. Just browse my quite small feed for like a minute.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts
@madrocketeer said:

As a result, in all my years of using YouTube, I have only ever blocked one channel wholesale (The Quartering), and only because of the volume of content, not the content themselves. His videos were threatening to declare a sovereign state on my Recommended page.

Very based. Total grifter. Should boot him off it.

Watch a lot of crime stuff on Youtube. The problem have with TV, particularly American, they over-dramatize stuff and try to turn it into a movie. Violins banging, cinematic camera work, can't just explain the events now, it's got to be an emotional roller-coaster with narrative, really not just "crime stuff", but documentaries in general now.

Youtube channels (the good ones) tend to be devoid of that. Typically, explaining what's happening with accompanying footage.

So yea, typically when watch them, it links to another, and another, and another. And so forth, wind up subscribing to morbid stuff.

Think JCS - Criminal Psychology is probably the best on the platform and for bite sized content on a regular basis That Chapter is pretty good.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Usually youtube.

Right now I am in a med-program rabbit hole on top of a math and physics rabbit hole. I feel like the rabbit holes I'd find as a kid were creepy and somewhat interesting but I think I've seen so much of that already that I just choose to not entertain it these days because of how it makes me feel. It really can change your perception of the world in an unrealistic way, for better or worse.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

no.

1 person i did watch on yt...

went off the rail. i stop watching him. he also now in trouble with the law.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I went down the whole Mandela Effect rabbit hole years ago I can see how easy it is for people to fall for it human memories are shit and it's easy for them to get distorted.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@warmblur said:

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I went down the whole Mandela Effect rabbit hole years ago I can see how easy it is for people to fall for it human memories are shit and it's easy for them to get distorted.

False memories have been known for awhile in psychology and that conspiracy theory is evidence that it exists. You can implement false memories into people by suggesting it. A doctored old photo could be used by placing an object that did not exist in their memories and they could create a whole story about that particular object without it never being part of their childhood. It's spooky.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

No. I do watch a lot of YouTube, though.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

YT all the time.

last one was learning about a tribe in brasil that has adolescent boys wear bullet ant gloves as a rite of passage.

these folks ain't fucking around

Loading Video...

Dead2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Dead2009
Member since 2021 • 32 Posts

I've fallen down the rabbit hole of watching storm chasing videos in the past.