Have you ever eaten food past its expiration date?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I just ate (well, half of them) some cup noodles that were 8 months past their expiration date. I checked the box after they started tasting like shit and when the "cheese" was building up horribly in my cheeks.

And there was this one time when I almost ate a peanut butter sandwich and the PB was 5 years past its expiration date.

So tahts something I don't want to remember...eugh...what about the rest of ot?

mM0MF

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
A couple days past...not years.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
A couple days past...not years.Person0
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Quitter.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#5 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
The PB that was 5 years past its date looked completely normal tbh.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts
[QUOTE="Person0"]A couple days past...not years.lightleggy
The PB that was 5 years past its date looked completely normal tbh.

If it looked normal after five years, I wouldn't eat that stuff "fresh" either. I tossed out some steaks that tasted funny a while back, to use as fox bait. Funny thing is the fox didn't touch it, and he aint picky, it didn't decompose either until close to a month out in the rain. No wonder it tasted funny, that shit ain't normal.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
All the time. Your eyes and your nose are a good judge. If it looks or smells bad NO GO.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
What is an "expiration date" ? Most things i buy have a "Best Before" date. It's okay to eat them afterwards, it's just... not the best.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I just ate (well, half of them) some cup noodles that were 8 months past their expiration date. I checked the box after they started tasting like shit and when the "cheese" was building up horribly in my cheeks.

And there was this one time when I almost ate a peanut butter sandwich and the PB was 5 years past its expiration date.

mM0MF

lightleggy
The date on the box/jar is the "sell by date" or the "best used before" date. Lots of stuff is still usually safe after it has "expired". Sometimes LONG after it has "expired". Now, you probably don't want to take too many chances with stuff like milk or meat. But other stuff typically lasts long after the date on the box. Dry goods like noodles are an example. Peanut butter lasts a long-ass time as well. And stuff that's highly acidic like catsup and mustard too. Hell, I don't even keep my catsup refrigerated after opening the jar, and I've eaten old-ass catsup that was more than a year out of date (that is to say, it was sitting in my cupboard OPENED and UNREFRIGERATED for more than a year).
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

mM0MF

MrGeezer
The date on the box/jar is the "sell by date" or the "best used before" date. Lots of stuff is still usually safe after it has "expired". Sometimes LONG after it has "expired". Now, you probably don't want to take too many chances with stuff like milk or meat. But other stuff typically lasts long after the date on the box. Dry goods like noodles are an example. Peanut butter lasts a long-ass time as well. And stuff that's highly acidic like catsup and mustard too. Hell, I don't even keep my catsup refrigerated after opening the jar, and I've eaten old-ass catsup that was more than a year out of date (that is to say, it was sitting in my cupboard UNREFRIGERATED for more than a year).

You eat your Cat's supper?
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Yeah, it really depends what it is but most of the time it's fine. Use your judgement, though. Yogurt a week past expiry that smells and tastes fine is probably fine. Chunky, separated dairy is probably destined for the trash. Our freezers are full of 'expired' bread, cheese, meat etc. We buy a lot of stuff when it's on for a good price and freeze it. Write the purchase date on the package and you're set. I also have a lot of crackers and bags of chips that are past their 'best before' date, but if they're unopened and in a shelf-stable environment (not moist, not too hot) they taste as fresh as if they'd just come off the store shelf even a couple years past the expiry date. Expiration/best before dates have to be put on EVERYTHING now, so take them with a grain of salt.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

A few years ago I came back from a football match, and I was hungry, so I made myself a sandwich. After I was about halfway done eating it, I noticed it smelled funny (it tasted just fine). I asked my mom to smell it and she said it was expired, so I threw it away. That night I woke up with intense pains in my stomach for the rest of the night. In the morning I went to the doctor, he said I had food poisening, so I got meds for that and after a few weeks I was all better.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

depends.

definitely not anything fresh (dairy, grain, meat), or any medication but any frozen foods or preserved goods are fine for a couple weeks past the exp.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
um.. yes ... but I'm not going to whine about it on OT
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

A few years ago I came back from a football match, and I was hungry, so I made myself a sandwich. After I was about halfway done eating it, I noticed it smelled funny (it tasted just fine). I asked my mom to smell it and she said it was expired, so I threw it away. That night I woke up with intense pains in my stomach for the rest of the night. In the morning I went to the doctor, he said I had food poisening, so I got meds for that and after a few weeks I was all better.

deeliman
Your doctor gave you medication for food poisoning? That's really unusual unless you've acquired food poisoning from fish or mushrooms or have a high fever. All you can really do when you have food poisoning is drink a lot of water, sleep when you can, and try to soothe your throat and butthole. It also shouldn't take WEEKS to recover from food poisoning. Two or three days, usually, at most for a regular person. I think your doctor may be a moron.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I have actually but its usually just few days past the expiration date, and only with certain food items. I mean diaries are a big no for example.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Yup.

i go by smell and look. if it smells fine and looks fine, ill eat it.

inb4 Br0kenrabbit:D

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deeliman
[QUOTE="deeliman"]

XilePrincess
Your doctor gave you medication for food poisoning? That's really unusual unless you've acquired food poisoning from fish or mushrooms or have a high fever. All you can really do when you have food poisoning is drink a lot of water, sleep when you can, and try to soothe your throat and butthole. It also shouldn't take WEEKS to recover from food poisoning. Two or three days, usually, at most for a regular person. I think your doctor may be a moron.

Maybe I said it wrong. The meds were for pain relief, not really for curing it. It took about 2 weeks for it to completely go away.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="deeliman"]

deeliman

Maybe I said it wrong. The meds were for pain relief, not really for curing it. It took about 2 weeks for it to completely go away.

It doesn't take two weeks to recover from food poisoning.
MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Not really. I once ate a crumpet one day after it's best before but other than that I just throw it away.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Sure, but it depends what it is. Expiration dates have to be taken with a grain of salt anyway. Companies usually put dates on them that are way before the actual date that the food will go bad.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Yes, unless you're dealing with unrefined milk you can eat anything a few days past its expiration date. I'd rather avoid eating stuff 8 months late tho lol

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Expiration dates are generally used by the grocery stores to insure the food they sell wont get people sick. Depending on the item you buy and where you store it, it could last a few weeks later. The only thing I would drink past the expiration date is my milk, that generally last three days after that date. Everything else I would have already consumed before the expiration date comes.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Yeah I did, I got this uncomfortable feelings everytime.. but I now trying not to, and trying not to eat canned food anymore.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deeliman
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"] Your doctor gave you medication for food poisoning? That's really unusual unless you've acquired food poisoning from fish or mushrooms or have a high fever. All you can really do when you have food poisoning is drink a lot of water, sleep when you can, and try to soothe your throat and butthole. It also shouldn't take WEEKS to recover from food poisoning. Two or three days, usually, at most for a regular person. I think your doctor may be a moron.

It doesn't take two weeks to recover from food poisoning.

That's not true actually, there are a lot of forms of food poisoning. Things like salmonella aren't cured in 2 days...
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

probably. But i never really got sick from them.

I now have a craving for banana and PB

theycallmeRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 theycallmeRP
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

Sure have, but usually it's something I buy and freeze for a later time. Stuff like certain veggies, lentils, and bread loafs.

mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

does water have an expiration date, because i think i'm drinking water that is a MILLION YEARS OLD

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Same. :o

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

I've drunk spoiled milk before, a few times actually.

Not intentionally.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I have with yogurt a few times.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Yes. In a lot of cases the expiration date is more for the store than telling you when the food has actually gone bad.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

The Best Before date has something to do with the nutrition of the food.  It can be eaten past that day but you won't get the full benefit of it.   Nothing should really be eaten past the expiration date.  

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts
You can eat food past the expiration date, just depends on what it is and how long it's passed the expiration date. I know the ins and outs of foods as I was on course for going to culinary art school. That said, the only thing I've had passed date was canned food/vegetables. Peanut butter is good for close to a year, then it starts to go bad. You can eat it while it's going bad, without worrying about getting sick. But I wouldn't advise it.