Have you ever done a DNA test?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I did a DNA test with AncestryDNA (Ancestry.com) and my results were a little interesting. It estimated my ethnicity in two vague time periods, hundreds of years ago and thousands of years ago.

In the "thousands of years ago" period, my ethnicity was 94% European, 2% South Central African, 2% East Asian, 1% Native American, and less than 1% Pacific Islander. The non-European regions were called "Low Confidence Regions", so it means I may or may not have ethnicity from those regions.

The European portion was broken down to 80% Scandinavian (mainly Norwegian), 6% Europe West (I'm assuming that's my French ancestry), 5% British, and two Low Confidence Regions: 2% Irish and 1% Finnish.

The African, East Asian, and Native American regions weren't specific with what ethnic groups/tribe(s) I might be descended from, likely because of low percentages.

Under the "hundreds of years ago" period, it just emphasized my Norwegian background and said it's where my family likely lived a few hundred years ago. It heavily emphasized central and eastern Norway as to where they might have lived.

I clicked on "Eastern Norwegians" and got a list of common last names in the area. I was born with the last name "Pederson" and found it interesting to see that particular spelling listed along with the much more common "Peterson". My mom changed her former surname, Schwantes, back to her maiden name, Reopelle, a few years ago. I also had my surname changed to Reopelle because I never knew my biological father's side of the family since mom divorced him when I was two, so I've only been close to my mom's side.

I read on the site that genetic inheritance is random and two siblings can have different percentages of ethnic backgrounds despite having the same parents, which I didn't know before.

Apparently as more people take the test and the science improves, it may change your ethnicity estimates. I'd say it was pretty accurate with my Scandinavian ancestry. My mom told me I was three-quarters (75%) Scandinavian; she was only 5% off, LOL.

Have you done a test like this before? If so, were you surprised by your results?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I have not but it sounds interesting. I think if I were to do a DNA test though, it would be in hopes that it would tell me I'm adopted :p

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguru100

@korvus said:

I have not but it sounds interesting. I think if I were to do a DNA test though, it would be in hopes that it would tell me I'm adopted :p

Hi korvus! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

How are you my friend? :)

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamerguru100

@korvus said:
@gamerguru100 said:

How are you my friend? :)

Doing pretty good. I graduated college, had an interview yesterday, and I take my boards exam next week.

How about you?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Awww, I thought this was about those genes tests to check your predisposition to some diseases etc.

Nah, I haven't had a test like the one you describe.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

I did a DNA test with AncestryDNA (Ancestry.com) and my results were a little interesting. It estimated my ethnicity in two vague time periods, hundreds of years ago and thousands of years ago.

In the "thousands of years ago" period, my ethnicity was 94% European, 2% South Central African, 2% East Asian, 1% Native American, and less than 1% Pacific Islander. The non-European regions were called "Low Confidence Regions", so it means I may or may not have ethnicity from those regions.

The European portion was broken down to 80% Scandinavian (mainly Norwegian), 6% Europe West (I'm assuming that's my French ancestry), 5% British, and two Low Confidence Regions: 2% Irish and 1% Finnish.

The African, East Asian, and Native American regions weren't specific with what ethnic groups/tribe(s) I might be descended from, likely because of low percentages.

Under the "hundreds of years ago" period, it just emphasized my Norwegian background and said it's where my family likely lived a few hundred years ago. It heavily emphasized central and eastern Norway as to where they might have lived.

I clicked on "Eastern Norwegians" and got a list of common last names in the area. I was born with the last name "Pederson" and found it interesting to see that particular spelling listed along with the much more common "Peterson". My mom changed her former surname, Schwantes, back to her maiden name, Reopelle, a few years ago. I also had my surname changed to Reopelle because I never knew my biological father's side of the family since mom divorced him when I was two, so I've only been close to my mom's side.

I read on the site that genetic inheritance is random and two siblings can have different percentages of ethnic backgrounds despite having the same parents, which I didn't know before.

Apparently as more people take the test and the science improves, it may change your ethnicity estimates. I'd say it was pretty accurate with my Scandinavian ancestry. My mom told me I was three-quarters (75%) Scandinavian; she was only 5% off, LOL.

Have you done a test like this before? If so, were you surprised by your results?

Where do we get one done ? And does it cost us $$ ?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gamerguru100

@LexLas: You can order it online for $99 plus shipping (per kit). Once you get the kit, you spit into a tube and mail it back. Takes about two months to get your results. High demand plus the lab work is why it takes long.

You order directly off the site and the kit comes with directions.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerguru100

@Master_Live said:

Awww, I thought this was about those genes tests to check your predisposition to some diseases etc.

Nah, I haven't had a test like the one you describe.

I know 23andme has a test like that.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@LexLas: You can order it online for $99 plus shipping (per kit). Once you get the kit, you spit into a tube and mail it back. Takes about two months to get your results. High demand plus the lab work is why it takes long.

You order directly off the site and the kit comes with directions.

um nope. It could get mixed up, and they will say i'm from some other planet or something.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Nope.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Yeah, I spend a good 1/3 of my life thinking I might fall somewhere on the spectrum, a DNA test would prove or disprove that, right? Once and for all?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Yeah, I'm interested in doing that. I'll wait until I'm back in Canada. I'm not paying the shipping fees in Australia, f* that.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Yeah, i want to try it. Sounds like it may be pretty fun.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No, but I want to have the heritage one done, but not sure whether I want to go through Ancestry, or a university lab. I'm really eager to know my actual heritage beyond what I already know (back 6 generations). I've gone back on Wikitree (through very vague connections) and have traced a line back to Charles Martel, one of the real life Merovingians from the era of Charlemagne. I doubt it's a true connection, but I need to know.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nah. I already know I'm a mutt. ;)

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts

I thought this was going to be about some baby mama drama. I was getting my popcorn ready.

No, I have thought about it but all I know for sure is that I may have some native heritage from my dad's side of the family.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

No. Don't see much of a reason since I know that I'm a mutt. I know I have some Cherokee, African, Irish, and a pinch of European blood. Probably others there but again, I'm not all that interested in finding out...

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

sounds interesting

never done it

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

My heritage pretty much comes from Puerto Rico but however, some of our heritage was lost due to my ancestors migrating to the U.S but I would like to try this AncestryDNA one day. Sounds pretty interesting what you describe.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I would be interested in doing it. I assume it will be Scandinavian for the first few generations. More than that I got no idea.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

Yes, here's where I'm from:

All I knew going in was that I'm half black on my mom's side and half white on my dad's (probably Irish since I have some reddish hair). My results were a little surprising in that the African portion only accounted for about a third instead of half, but as my wife pointed out that makes sense for someone who's half African American because most are not purely African (note the difference between Djimon Hounsou and say... Will Smith). As for the rest, I was all over the map (literally).

On the Africa side I've got Benin/Togo, Cameroon/Congo, Ivory Coast/Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, and South Central Africa. The next big chunk was Western Europe and Ireland. Then I had small percentages of East and South Asia, Scandinavia, Italy/Greece, European Jewish, Polynesia, Middle East, and Caucasus. Just about the only thing I didn't have at least a little bit of was Native American, which was a little surprising considering that's frequently intermingled with African American.

-Byshop

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerguru100

@Byshop said:

Yes, here's where I'm from:

All I knew going in was that I'm half black on my mom's side and half white on my dad's (probably Irish since I have some reddish hair). My results were a little surprising in that the African portion only accounted for about a third instead of half, but as my wife pointed out that makes sense for someone who's half African American because most are not purely African (note the difference between Djimon Hounsou and say... Will Smith). As for the rest, I was all over the map (literally).

On the Africa side I've got Benin/Togo, Cameroon/Congo, Ivory Coast/Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, and South Central Africa. The next big chunk was Western Europe and Ireland. Then I had small percentages of East and South Asia, Scandinavia, Italy/Greece, European Jewish, Polynesia, Middle East, and Caucasus. Just about the only thing I didn't have at least a little bit of was Native American, which was a little surprising considering that's frequently intermingled with African American.

-Byshop

Well, it seems if you go back far enough, most of us will have an ancestor or eighty from different parts of the world. Thanks for sharing. :)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Byshop  Moderator

@gamerguru100 said:

Well, it seems if you go back far enough, most of us will have an ancestor or eighty from different parts of the world. Thanks for sharing. :)

I've seen the results from others who have done the same test. Most don't get quite as much variety as I did (my wife jokes that I got more money's worth than most). My wife is German/Irish and we're waiting to see her result.

-Byshop

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I was just talking to a co-worker who got her results in today, and it turns out she has Spanish in her. She thought she was mostly Irish. I'm wondering about the accuracy of all this. I'm pretty sure I'm mostly European. Maybe I'll take it just for the hell of it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:

I was just talking to a co-worker who got her results in today, and it turns out she has Spanish in her. She thought she was mostly Irish. I'm wondering about the accuracy of all this. I'm pretty sure I'm mostly European. Maybe I'll take it just for the hell of it.

I'm going to try a different service just to see how closely they match up. Lower percentages are now labelled as (low confidence) in AncestryDNA whereas they weren't before.

-Byshop

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

My mother has tired it and it revealed she was like 46 native american (mayan) and the other half being European descent. Like partial Asian and African, some middle eastern blood as well.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

LOL. My wife just got her results back. 99% European.

-Byshop

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I've only done them to prove/disprove people were related to me. The ethnicity were in the tests, but we weren't really paying attention to THAT. It was more like: "Thank God we're related/not related" kind of thing.

One guy thought he was my dad, and I had to prove my sister was my twin.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

My brother did that so no need. It's a bit general.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

I thought about it. I know Im half asian and half white.. but it would be interesting to see what the test results would say.