Have you ever caught a burglar/thief

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (31458 posts) -

Just curious if anyone has ever caught a burglar/thief, and how did you deal with it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
#2 Posted by deactivated-5c56012aaa167 (2538 posts) -

I haven't.

Have you ?

#3 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30307 posts) -

Nah, our town has a lot of burglaries, just not the part where I live.

#4 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79198 posts) -

Back in high school, one of my friends I haven't talked to in a while resurfaced and was catching up with me. He was asking if I was still into games, and I said I was. I had no idea he was setting me up when he was asking what I had, so one day, I came back from school and noticed the front door unlocked. He snatched almost all my games and some other stuff and we called the police immediately. The only reason why they swooped in on him so quick was because he robbed one of my friends a week prior and they knew who he was. I only got about 2/3rds of the stuff back because he already pawned some of it. I swear, I still owe him a punch in the mouth for that. I don't care if he's 80 when I see him again. I'm still punching him in the mouth. I hate thieves with a passion.

#5 Edited by MirkoS77 (13843 posts) -

No, but this is pretty funny:

Loading Video...

#6 Posted by DaVillain- (34965 posts) -

Nope and I don't snitch either.

#7 Posted by BlueIon (114 posts) -

I never “caught” a thief in the act. But one of my “friends” took my iPod touch right from under my nose! (He asked me for a glass of water, and when I whent to get it he took it from my room and left) I was so upset It took forever to get another one because/IPod touches are expensive :( Haven’t heard from him since...

#8 Edited by npiet1 (1808 posts) -

I was working at ALDI, a guy built like a brick wall and a head taller than me ran off with a slow cooker. I ran after not even thinking. He gave it back straight away. Thank god. Another time, Some guy filled a trolley than his backpack. He was spotted by a manager and I locked the doors (the switch was behind the staff door). He pulled out a pair of garden sheers. Another manager came in who's day it was off. She had anger issues and use martial arts to control it. She had 6 black belts and was huge. He ran off she ran off after. Coming back 20 minutes later with the stolen goods. When we asked she just keep saying don't ask. So we don't know what happened when she caught up to him.

#9 Edited by KungfuKitten (26236 posts) -

Yeah twice. Both stealing my bike. I wasn't far removed from the bikes when it happened. I walked after them (the first was heavily loaded, the second was still locked), took back the bike because both tried to flee as soon as they saw me following. Followed them to their house, wrote down their address and information. I didn't call the cops in both instances. Don't know why. I didn't even say a word to the thieves it was just on auto-pilot.

#10 Posted by Sexay_Vixen (46 posts) -

Isn’t it better to catch them, forget the cops, and retain the right to fck with them?

#11 Posted by MrGeezer (59763 posts) -

@sexay_vixen said:

Isn’t it better to catch them, forget the cops, and retain the right to fck with them?

Not really.

I'd like to point out that a good number of "people murdered in their homes" stories amounted to criminals trying to AVOID a confrontation. Except then their luck ran out because there was actually someone home, and those people flipped out. So the thieves flipped out in "defense" and people end up dead over a petty insignificant amount of property.

I see some people joking, but I have to be really serious for a moment. No, your property is NOT worth more than your life, and it's NOT worth ruining your life by f***ing someone up whom you've caught messing with your stuff. I strongly advise people to stay away from vigilante-type s***. That's the kind of thing that can easily lead to people being killed or serving prison sentences all for nothing.

#12 Posted by Byshop (19471 posts) -

Not at home but at work. While working retail at an Egghead Software store (back when they had stores) I caught someone trying to stuff an entire hard drive box under their shirt. The guy was a complete moron. The box back then was like 10"x7"x6" (it was a 3.5" drive back in the late 90s). I heard crackling behind me and I turned around. He quickly pulled the crushed box out from under his shirt and claimed he tried just found it like this. Unfortunately, our corporate policies were super clear on what employees were allowed to do in this situation, which was basically nothing. If he didn't actually leave the store with the item, technically a crime had not been committed. Even he had walked out of the store with it, we aren't allowed to intervene. The only thing we can do is call the police. I told him to get the **** out and he made a hasty retreat.

At home, someone tried to get into my house at a previous address but I wasn't there. They claimed to know one of my ex-roommates and they thought she still lived there and that they would get into the house and wait for her. My roommate at the time caught them and they backed off. I told her to call the cops and they came but I don't think they ever caught those guys. They seemed more like morons than anything else.

At my current house I have a Ring Doorbell, and a Lorex/Flir system that covers the entire perimeter and is deliberately visible from the street. The worst we typically get in our area are package thieves but in spite of how often I get stuff from Amazon we haven't had any issues. I've got even more security on the inside, with motion and window/door sensors tied to several home automation systems with alerts.

-Byshop

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (31458 posts) -

@dorog1995 said:

I haven't.

Have you ?

A couple of times.

Example- Remember years back my little brothers scooter was stolen from the garden. Fairly expensive.

I jumped on my bike (itself absolutely buggered without a pedal and thus requiring to be pushed) and used the power of gravity to speed down a big hill about quarter of a mile, and came across the thief pushing himself along next to a grown adult woman.

"That's my brothers scooter" was replied with "I found it in a skip", which was a repeated cycle over and over for 5-6 times, with the grown adult woman next to him saying "he did", thinking that somehow added credibility and didn't make her come across as a piece of shit.

After about 5 minutes, he oh so graciously, found it within himself to hand over the scooter he had clearly, and honestly, found in a skip.

#14 Posted by Sexay_Vixen (46 posts) -

@MrGeezer:

Lol that’s cute so you agree with me. I’ve got to keep reminding myself this is a gaming forum. You must be a teenager.

You sound awefully negative, too, almost like you got put in check.

#15 Posted by plageus900 (2640 posts) -

I've prevented what would have probably turned into a break-in.

I walked out my front door at 2:30 AM and saw this young punk walking up my driveway. I looked over at my neighbors house and his pal was trying to break through the front door. He tried to play it off like he was looking for his dog. I told him to beat it or else I was going to run his head through the nearby tree. His friend saw me confronting him and took off up the road. He followed suit.

I didn't bother calling the police because it wouldn't have helped. I'd never seen these guys before and I haven't seen them since.

#16 Posted by DaVillain- (34965 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:
@sexay_vixen said:

Not really.

I'd like to point out that a good number of "people murdered in their homes" stories amounted to criminals trying to AVOID a confrontation. Except then their luck ran out because there was actually someone home, and those people flipped out. So the thieves flipped out in "defense" and people end up dead over a petty insignificant amount of property.

I see some people joking, but I have to be really serious for a moment. No, your property is NOT worth more than your life, and it's NOT worth ruining your life by f***ing someone up whom you've caught messing with your stuff. I strongly advise people to stay away from vigilante-type s***. That's the kind of thing that can easily lead to people being killed or serving prison sentences all for nothing.

Me personally, I don't call 911! If someone is dumb enough breaking into my House, that person is done!

Shoot first, ask questions later.

#17 Edited by watercrack445 (1263 posts) -

There are some good burglary stories on YouTube. Even some of them tell the view point of the burglar. Go check them out.

#18 Posted by MrGeezer (59763 posts) -

@sexay_vixen: *shrugs*

Prison (and cemeteries) are full of people who fancied themselves badasses. Take that for what you will, and I'll leave it at that. Feel free to tell me all about how if someone robs you at knife-point you'll disarm him and send him to the hospital. Doesn't change the fact that going all vigilante on people is f***ing stupid. But hey, you do what you want to do.

#19 Posted by Mandzilla (3628 posts) -

I caught my flatmate once stealing my Hobnobs. Unforgiveable.

#20 Posted by Sexay_Vixen (46 posts) -

@MrGeezer:

Oh my mr tough guy over here! So cute! You’ve got to be a high schooler 😘

Honey, pulling a weapon on someone is how NOT to be a man. Gang members in reality are sissy bitchbois. They are like hyenas. Only have “balls” in a pack, but that isn’t really balls now is it? Or they carry a weapon OR approach from behind. They NEVER speak up like men, and are governed by a ruler that makes them do shit. It’s hilarious and sad.

#21 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43313 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:
@sexay_vixen said:

Not really.

This is sort of how I feel. Any time I see someone championing their right to "defend their property" with lethal force, I want to exert lethal force on that person haha. No not really, but seriously, you're going to shoot someone over your Blu-ray collection? Cave their head in over your new air-fryer? Give me a break, even their shitty life is worth more than that.

Call the cops, let the police handle it.

You never know if the person is packing heat or carrying a blade, too; you go to confront them and suddenly you're dead.

#22 Posted by Sexay_Vixen (46 posts) -

@mrbojangles25:

A friend of a friend once put an entire crew in checkmate. Not sure how he did it but he did

#23 Posted by fireman64 (50 posts) -

Yeah caught a guy stealing gas and a guy stealing hay bales on the farm years ago.

Pretty much just turned them loose with a warning.

#24 Posted by MrGeezer (59763 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

This is sort of how I feel. Any time I see someone championing their right to "defend their property" with lethal force, I want to exert lethal force on that person haha. No not really, but seriously, you're going to shoot someone over your Blu-ray collection? Cave their head in over your new air-fryer? Give me a break, even their shitty life is worth more than that.

Call the cops, let the police handle it.

You never know if the person is packing heat or carrying a blade, too; you go to confront them and suddenly you're dead.

I've unfortunately had to talk people out of doing stupid stuff like that. Stuff like people getting robbed and being almost positive who did it. And then saying that they're gonna go f*** the guy up. And I'm like, Jesus...this is a person with a freaking wife and kids. And they're going to risk getting killed or imprisoned trying to f*** someone up. Like, they're going to leave their freaking wife and kids alone all because they're pissed off about losing some property? Grow the f*** up.

Of course, it's a different matter when it comes to actual DEFENSE. As in, you're home and someone is trying to break in. In that case, by all means shoot them in the face. But going at someone for taking your stuff? Screw that. Even if their shitty lives aren't worth more than your Blu-Ray collection, the courts are sure as hell gonna think that their shitty lives are worth more than your Blu-Ray collection.

I wonder how many people imprisoned in jail for years reconnected with their kids and said, "yeah, I wasn't there for your childhood, but that asshole stole my stuff. What was I supposed to do? Be there for you when you needed me, or f*** a guy up?"

#25 Posted by DawnofMan (5 posts) -

Some person did break into the building with a knife and stole things from windows.
He did not realise that everyone who lived there was working at the martial art club next door, so he was happy when the police showed to arrest him.

#27 Edited by Speeny (1267 posts) -

Nope. The town where I live is pretty boring. Though, there was a couple of junkies who robbed the liquor store once a few years back. Their house was raided next day.

#29 Posted by PeterQuill (5 posts) -

Phew thanks you guys i know how many time i escape :)))

#30 Posted by Yams1980 (3291 posts) -

I never caught any before.

I have over 50 video cameras setup inside and outside my house, so if anyone even cased out my house i'd have their faces on video and could spread their images everywhere and make their careers pretty tough after everyone knowing what they look like.

If i did have to confront one in defense, i'd try to hold them in place until the police came. If i was out numbered i'd have no choice but to use deadly force on them.

#31 Posted by So_Carrieous (44 posts) -

So easy to spot. They get upset when you react not in a typical manner. Make the joke on them!

#32 Posted by Shmiity (6246 posts) -

When I worked in a grocery store as a kid I saw a woman steal a loaf of bread. Pretty classic scenario. I let them go. If you need to steal bread you are most likely in serious need.