Hating University :(

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 dazzzilla
Member since 2006 • 1246 Posts

Hey how is everyone, the past 8 months of my life have been like hell, I firstly started a health science degree which I dropped out of within a month, the gap between was filled with worrying and nothing else, I then started a Bachelor of Arts to become a teacher 3 weeks ago, and to this day I still feel sick in the stomach about it. It's hard to explain but I don't know why I don't like Uni, as soon as I walk into the place I feel sick and then as the day goes on and the work load stacks up all I simply do is come home and cry, I can make like no friends the people don't have the same interests the only thing that they enjoy seems to be reading a book which isn't one of my things :(, I have talked to people been nice but at the end of the day after class the people just walk off without even saying bye or anything. It's like soul crushing to me because I know how much I enjoyed high school, how happy I was and had proper friends, now I feel like Im in hell alone, I haven't stopped fully worrying about Uni for 4 weeks now I have lost all my interests too, I have been waiting for Gran Turismo 5 for eg for around 5 years now, but after starting uni, I couldn't give a dam if it never came out.

Is there any one else who has experienced something similar?

Thanks.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Probably lots, you have to join social clubs in univiersity to meet friends.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#3 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I think you need to re-evaluate why you are at university... is it worth it to you? and what would you be doing if you wasn't there?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I think you might have social anxiety, don't do anything rash...seek counseling.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dazzzilla

I don't know what i'd be doing without it :(, but I have to say if I knew working would make me feel better I'd work anywhere including factories this soul crushing stuff simply isn't worth it, but there's not much choice.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

Bluestorm-Kalas
Yah, unless you're really outgoing, joining a few clubs is the way to go.
cheynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 cheynz
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Well your there for a while so might as well make the best of it.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Sounds like you need anti depressants or something.
dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dazzzilla

Is it worth drugging up in order to get a degree though, I'm worried it will make many regrets in 4 years time.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
I can make like no friends the people don't have the same interests the only thing that they enjoy seems to be reading a book which isn't one of my things :(,dazzzilla
wait...University students? all they do is READ? does not compute.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hockey73
Your university might offer free counseling like mine does. My sister used it when she got pretty depressed, helped her out a ton. Sounds like you just need to talk some things out.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Perhaps college isn't for you. Wasn't for me.

Steyrvolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Steyrvolt
Member since 2009 • 1762 Posts

I went through a... "rough patch" when I first went to university, starting with my friends not being there, to hearing rumors about a girl I used to like OD'ing and almost dying, and I ended up trying to quell the loneliness by just watching TV and sleeping in my room, hoping for vacation to come more quickly. Needless to say, that didn't go well and I failed out. Then I made it to the real world without a college degree. It's not good. I ended up returning to college and finally started making friends. A lot of my friends in college just randomly found me on Facebook, or I met people in classes from my department.

What year are you? If you're just in general education type courses, then give it time and keep your chin up. Everything gets better. After two years at my current school, I have nearly 30 friends there (though they just graduated and I have only a few left for my final semester.) My recommendation is to stick with it, because a degree certainly is worth the time spent, and if you join social clubs as others have mentioned it can definitely help. If there's a foreign language you're interested in, take it, as people usually want study partners.

It can be tough. I almost didn't make it at a few low points, but I'm happier than can be now. Hope you feel better soon.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
Sounds like you need to take a break from school right now. From what you've said, I'm guessing that you don't live close to campus. Getting a job close to, or even on campus is a great way to meet fellow students. Facebook is also a great way to network in college (though I no longer use it for other reasons). It's not like highschool, where you are going to be around the same group of people for 8 hours a day. You just need to learn how to adapt to this new environment, and make some friends in different wasy than what you were used to in HS. A trip to the doc would probably help, too ;)
ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ujjval16
Member since 2008 • 1669 Posts

Aw man that sucks, maybe you should take a year or two off for a break. I'm the complete opposite however, I love University, but the thing is I live with 5 of my best friends, so it's a lot easier. If you think Uni is too tough, you might wanna take a break. My little sister has just started her semester and she has the same problems as you.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dazzzilla

Yea I know, what you mean, and I miss high school for that reason :(, in fact I miss my whole child hood now, you don't know how good something is until you lose it. If only a time machine exsisted :P. I'm finding my self comming home and doing nothing but crying for a few hours before feeling any better.

ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ujjval16
Member since 2008 • 1669 Posts

Yea I know, what you mean, and I miss high school for that reason :(, in fact I miss my whole child hood now, you don't know how good something is until you lose it. If only a time machine exsisted :P. I'm finding my self comming home and doing nothing but crying for a few hours before feeling any better.

dazzzilla
Just take a break for a while, you have you're whole life ahead of you, try not to waste time ruining it. There's no point crying over it, ever 60 seconds you spend crying, you lose one minute of happiness :D
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

If somethings making you that unhappy then it isn't worth it. Take a year or 2 out, perhaps work or travel a bit and then reassess. The students on my course who went to university having worked for a couple of years previously had a clear goal of what they wanted to achieve, and ended up with the higher degrees, whereas the rest of us student scum just dossed about and scraped by :P

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I can relate. I don't speak to anyone on my course either. I just go to lectures, sit alone and leave straight away. Luckily I met better people playing sports and my flatmates were great in my first year. You just need to meet people doing the things you enjoy. How are the people you live with?
dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dazzzilla

I live at home which is probably a reason why I'm struggling to make friends but the uni is only a 15min car drive.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hockey73
Freshmen year when I dormed, I had a great time, I felt like a part of the whole college experience you here a lot of people talking about. Sophomore year was totally different. Commuting/living at home really takes away from the whole university experience at least for me. I find myself really disconnected from everything and everyone up there. My goal this year (junior) is to spend more time up there, whether it is using the university gym instead of the one 5 mins from my house, and doing more work/studying on campus, getting involved in study groups and what not. Only fortunate thing for me, is I'm still really close to my core group of high school friends, so we find time to hangout on the weekends (not like HS where we hung everyday though).
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#22 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I think I would have struggled in much the same way had I not moved out but at least you still have your family around. Try joining some clubs and whatnot, though.
dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dazzzilla

I wonder though if I should have taken up distance/online education instead, I thought why not go to uni for the social factor, now I feel like I'd feel less depressed if I was at home :S seeing there are no friends at uni anyways.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hockey73

I wonder though if I should have taken up distance/online education instead, I thought why not go to uni for the social factor, now I feel like I'd feel less depressed if I was at home :S seeing there are no friends at uni anyways.

dazzzilla
Idk, feels like if you did that, you'd eventually be more depressed because you'd seclude yourself further. I'd give it a semester and really try to get involved with things up there, try joining one social group. I'm really shy so I have trouble meeting new people, but I'm really going to make an effort this year to upgrade my social life, I think I might join an intramural sport club.
Steyrvolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 Steyrvolt
Member since 2009 • 1762 Posts
[QUOTE="dazzzilla"]

hockey73
Idk, feels like if you did that, you'd eventually be more depressed because you'd seclude yourself further. I'd give it a semester and really try to get involved with things up there, try joining one social group. I'm really shy so I have trouble meeting new people, but I'm really going to make an effort this year to upgrade my social life, I think I might join an intramural sport club.

I have to agree. Sitting at home and not even putting yourself out there can be much more depressing.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Perhaps college isn't for you. Wasn't for me.Wilfred_Owen
What options do you have if college isn't your thing?
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#27 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Look for student orgs that are geared toward your interests and find out how to join them. Makes the process of finding new friends a little easier.

tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tarunramesh
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts

hey dude i acutally understand how you feel. I also have the same problem and find it hard to make good long term friends. Though thankfully ive stuck with my school friends and we all hang out more than ever even though we are all in different unis and taking our own walks in life.

KidCudi37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KidCudi37
Member since 2010 • 3535 Posts

Bluestorm-Kalas

This. If you don't, it'll be pretty hard.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

There may be other issues at hand here that you are unable to notice yourself, and university may not be the cause of this stress. I know for a fact that it isn't for everyone, but it can be very rewarding for many people. I know I hated it once I started it (not to the same degree as you perhaps) but now, after spending 5 years getting my Bachelor of Arts in Religion, I can't wait to go back for at least 5-7 more years so I can get my Doctorate in Religion and start teaching as a professor.

Go to your university's students association and seek help in figuring out these feelings you are having, perhaps what you have chosen isn't right for you (I can tell you now, ask myself back 5 years ago going into uni, if I could see myself becoming a professor of religious studies as my career and I would outright laugh at you for being ridiculous, that's how much I abhorred religion). University is one of a few ways to become successful in your life, and hey, it might not be for you, but at least try and make it work, because it can be extraordinarily rewarding once you have found your stride.

artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
Personally it's been the opposite for me. I didn't really like high school and didn't really try but in college i've not only made way more friends but I've also gotten my act together and am working on my BS in Bio. You definitely have to try and put yourself out there though and meet people.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I don't know what i'd be doing without it :(, but I have to say if I knew working would make me feel better I'd work anywhere including factories this soul crushing stuff simply isn't worth it, but there's not much choice.

dazzzilla

So...do you hate the field that you're studying for? Is that the problem?

Do you just plain not want to be at school right now AT ALL? Is that the problem?

Is the problem really that you don't have any friends? Is that the problem?

You're gonna have to narrow this down. There's a problem here, but you can't help yourself until you are certain of what the problem actually is. Trust me, I'm sort of in the same boat as you, but different.

sinistra45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 sinistra45
Member since 2008 • 7379 Posts
just don't go Ismail Ax.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
First, you need to figure out what the root of the problem is. Your story, narrowed down is: -Dropped out of Health Sciences within a month -Missed rest of year. Spent worrying and depressed. -Applied/Started Ba Arts to become teacher -You feel sick around school., lost all interests -Can't Make friends, even though enjoyed HS and had friends there I'm no expert, but I'll narrow this down: 1. You changed social environments(high school to Uni) while remaining in a static living environment(remained at home). If none of your friends followed you to that University, subconsciously you could have seen that transition as a net loss instead of coming at it from a new perspective. The loss of your social circle you enjoyed in High school can have a tremendous impact, I have experienced it myself. It led me down a road to depressionville 2. Mentally affected by the loss of your friends, you lost focus and had a hard time adapting, and dropped out of school. You were "worried" for months afterward about it all, a sign that you put the blame on yourself. I find when people blame themselves for one thing, they often look to shift the blame, or they look to pile on more. I'm led to believe you looked to pile on more, due to the situation. 3. You joined back up at school and feel sick now. This likely stems from you relating this new year to the experiences/shock you had last year, and all those emotions swirling around. Mentally, you might be resigning yourself to defeat because of that, and expecting a similar shock this year. Why else would you feel sick, if not mentally expecting to suffer a great loss/failure again? 4. You have no interest in much of anything anymore, signaling a sure sign of depression, not that the prior events didn't already. My advice? You reacted to this change strongly, and because of that, things spiraled downhill. Go get counseling, they can help talk you through all this and get you into a position, mentally, where you can adapt because right now it seems you're taking a defeatist stance. That needs to change. You can find success in this. University is a lake to high school's pond...when schedules are spread out as often as they are in Uni though, it becomes a lot harder to find a set time to get to know people. Luckily, others are in the EXACT SAME BOAT AS YOU ARE IN. There are others looking for friends, and they're going to come to some conclusions of their own on how to get them. All you can do is find your own and trust the ratios enough that there will be a few dozen looking in the areas you'll look in. I'm going from a position where I've been at home doing nothing(well aside from caring for my ailing grandparents) for an entire year, and jumping into University, moving to a new city. Luckily, I know a few people in that city, and my roommates off-campus are two I knew from back home, so I have a support net available for me. I think, if you reach out and get out enough, you'll find others waiting to meet you.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get through your problems. I'm going to a college in a similar situation like yourself.
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

... I have been waiting for Gran Turismo 5 for eg for around 5 years now, but after starting uni, I couldn't give a dam if it never came out.

dazzzilla

Now there's the problem right there. If you had an Xbox 360 and were waiting for Forza Motorsport 4 instead, everything would be just peachy. :P

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Sucks, man. I got through uni with a bunch of friends and some really good ones. I can't imagine how miserable it would have been if I had to do it by myself. Didn't do any clubs either, just was talkative and good to people and the rest sort of fell into place. You definitely need to be more enthusiastic about what you're studying, though. Otherwise, 4 years (or 3 or 2) is a long time to be studying something that you can't stand.
Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

I'm going into my 4th year of university and I still have yet to really meet any friends strictly from university and not from work or sports or something. Its hard to make friends when everyone goes to a lecture and they just write notes as the prof talks. Its a little easier to socialize in labs/seminars but I still didn't find myself really getting to know those ppl outside those labs or seminars.

As others have said the easiest way to meet ppl is join some clubs or get on a team or something. I just stick with my friends from high school who went to the same uni as me.

That being said, if u find its not for you, u should get out before u invest too much time. I've spent the last 3 years doing engineering and I HATE it now... but now that I've done it for so long, is it really worth dropping out or switching?

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

▲ You sound like a whiney kid, grow up. Not everyone is a social parasite like you. ▲

Loco_Live
There are much better ways to go about saying something similar to that. People have different personalities and different ways to reacting to situations. Surely you're capable of understanding this?
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I have been waiting for Gran Turismo 5 for eg for around 5 years now, but after starting uni, I couldn't give a dam if it never came out.dazzzilla
This is not good. If you do this to all your hobbies, then you'll be bored out of your mind. Just slowly start gaming again and as you feel better, start engaging with other people.
Avatar image for TheFameMonster-
TheFameMonster-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheFameMonster-
Member since 2010 • 104 Posts
Gaga agrees. Gaga dropped out to pursue her dreams.
nish2280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nish2280
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts

Holiday. Take one.

Next break just book a plane ticket to some beach, make sure to finish all work so that your not stressed about it and just relax, maybe party (if your the type) and just live your life, dont think about school and stuff.

When you get back you should feel refreshed and motivated.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Could be that school isn't for you.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

I live at home which is probably a reason why I'm struggling to make friends but the uni is only a 15min car drive.

dazzzilla

my best friend went through exactly the same thing because he was commuting in, he felt isolated from the uni experience...when he moved onto campus everything changed, he made tons of new friends and became more sociable. Try moving into halls of residence

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
Definitely look into joining clubs. If you sit around and don't do anything all day, of course you won't have any fun.
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

I found my first year at uni to be difficult socially. I mainly stayed around one of my good mates from high school and only made one friend at university because of me doing random courses and not sticking to the formula which most students did.

I have found this year, though, I've got to know a few people in Spanish class, as well as one in Politics. The one in Politics was just a coincidence when we were talking about the election. He asked me what party I follow and I whispered "liberals", and he replied "same here, I work for them, but don't tell anyone". Saying you are a member of the Liberal (conservative) party is a dirty word at university. It's been known that people lose marks just because of political ideological differences in the super left-wing universities of Australia.

You should really just try and join clubs or talk to as many people as possible. Also the unibar is always a great place to meet people, as well as living on campus.

Superironic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Superironic
Member since 2006 • 12658 Posts

I am going through the same thing actually. I really miss my high school friends, and is taking a long time to adapt to uni life alone. What really bothers me is noticing other people in my lectures who have the privilege of spending their uni days with their high school friends. It keeps reminding me of what I have actually lost when I left high school. The only thing keeping me going at this point is the fact that I am actually enjoying my course at this point and also the times when I do catch up with my high school friends.

Avatar image for positivebalance
positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 positivebalance
Member since 2010 • 2352 Posts

are you a dude or a chick? if you're a dude, suck it up and stop crying. finish university, get a job, and prove yourself. if you're a chick, don't worry, it'll get better.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
So what? So what? I mean, really, so what? You hate University. You established that yourself. What are you going to do about it? It's obvious you don't know. It's obvious you're too overwhelmed to come to a solution for yourself. LIKE most people in your position, they want other people to solve that problem for them. But the solution, has to come from yourself. You have to learn how to deal with your feelings, and find ways to manage them. I don't know you. These people don't know you. They have no answers for you. All they're doing is looking for a chance to talk about themselves. They don't care about your circumstance one bit. It's loathsome. We're all users. That's all we are.